New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Well, maybe not as written, but I think it'd be a reasonable upgrade. Possibly heretical, or maybe for a smartass DT.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Well, maybe not as written, but I think it'd be a reasonable upgrade. Possibly heretical, or maybe for a smartass DT.
    Heretical between SWLiHN and Elloge[sic]?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

That was what I was thinking xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I remember from Keychain of Creation that supernatural beings have a one year pregnancy period. Now, where's that actually written down in official materials?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    You know, I remember from Keychain of Creation that supernatural beings have a one year pregnancy period. Now, where's that actually written down in official materials?
    Core book p.129, under Enduring Hardship in the dramatic rules.

Though that's specifically Exalt pregnancies, not supernatural creatures. Having recently been reading the Godblood rules, Scroll of Heroes says they last as long as a normal pregnancy depending on the other parent, so either 3 seasons if the God etc. is mating with a mortal, or a year if it's with an Exalt.

Edit: Man, I miss Keychain of Creation.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-06-17 at 09:35 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any artifact instruments or storytelling/song based fighting styles? I'm getting ready to play for the first time and I'm going with a Twilight Caste loremaster/bard type dude.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    Are there any artifact instruments or storytelling/song based fighting styles? I'm getting ready to play for the first time and I'm going with a Twilight Caste loremaster/bard type dude.
    You want demon wracking glory (And perhaps revilds homebrew upgrades to it) Or TDO's rewrite of Silver Voiced Nightengale style.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

There aren't any storytelling based fighting styles. I know because I checked, since I have been thinking about trying my hand at an SMA based on the concept of stories and how retelling the world makes it change.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, how the crap does performance based combat work?
    Dance fighting?
    Battle of the bands?

...Eurovision?

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Dance fighting?
    Battle of the bands?

...Eurovision?
    Really loud music until their ears bleed and they go deaf. Then just stay far enough away that they can't hit you until they die of blood loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

There is one in Scroll of the Monk named…

Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style.

But beware though; Scroll of the Monk is not known for its mechanical quality. Just a warning.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #852
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dance fighting?
    Battle of the bands?

...Eurovision?
    However you want, depending how you stunt your attacks.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

Dance fighting?
    Battle of the bands?

...Eurovision?
    You could probably hack the car chase rules in Shards's appendix to handle a battle-of-the-bands type scenario.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Check the corebook, p. 129. It's under the "Enduring Hardship" header.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Dance fighting?
    Battle of the bands?

...Eurovision?
    Without anyone thinking it's odd at all, everything becomes a musical. Singing replaces speech and everyone uses West Side Story style dancing to emphasise their point.

Spontaneous opera is also acceptable.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    You could probably hack the car chase rules in Shards's appendix to handle a battle-of-the-bands type scenario.
    Suddenly I'm envisioning the various musical battles from Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

What charms should one start out with to defend themselves? My character isn't very combat capable, given my abilities, but he has stamina and dexterity three, so I'm assuming some dodging stuff.

(Recaiden) He lives!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

What charms should one start out with to defend themselves? My character isn't very combat capable, given my abilities, but he has stamina and dexterity three, so I'm assuming some dodging stuff.
    What splat is he? And what abilities does he have?

Also, now that my Lunar is looking to get some more xp soon, I have to say once more that my loathing for the mechanics of Lunars grows evermore by the day.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post

Also, now that my Lunar is looking to get some more xp soon, I have to say once more that my loathing for the mechanics of Lunars grows evermore by the day.
    What do you hate about them?

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

I would be willing to offer you a deal, if you were interested in gaining access to the charms of another Exalted. You could even show your Solar Mate a thing or two about power.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.
    1:Mono-Build nature
    2:Form lock
    3:Being the Animal Exalts(and, yes, they are the animal exalts)
    4:the tattoo's leading to a permanent ban on shaping sorcery or martial arts, as well as beneficial shaping effects from outside sources.
    5:Lack of good mental charms
    6:Hearts Blood Shapeshifting
    7: Prevalence of one true builds
    8:Charm Tree Structure

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I would be willing to offer you a deal, if you were interested in gaining access to the charms of another Exalted. You could even show your Solar Mate a thing or two about power.
    Funny, I was actually thinking something similar, as more options would be nice.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2012-06-17 at 06:59 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I think it's pretty much that they're weak. At least Dragon-Blooded get cool elemental powers. But Lunars? Their schtick is that they don't have a schtick. They try to do everything.

But don't listen to Xefas. If you accept, you'll become a tool of the Yozis. Much better to just kill yourself and get reincarnated.

On another note, I have a ton of half-baked concepts in my head. Scourges, Slayers, Dawns, Twilights, Eclipses, characters for standard games, characters for Creation-Ruling Mandate games... and Shards is just going to make it worse.

Well, guess the only thing I can do is make a bunch of characters and have them ready to stat up for whatever games pop up. But I don't know if PbP on this site is going to cut it.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-06-17 at 07:03 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Hehehe.

I just finished converting all the Yozi charmsets in the Infernals manual to Strands of Fate.

and I don't even know why. For some reason I just felt like doing it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I think it's pretty much that they're weak. At least Dragon-Blooded get cool elemental powers. But Lunars? Their schtick is that they don't have a schtick. They try to do everything.
    It's not that they are weak. Their thematics, however, are a mess, and I'd say that their charmset is currently one of the worst published. Sidereals got a pretty good revamp, but while the Lunar charmset is functional in certain areas(which put it ahead of the previous Sidereal charmset), it's pretty crappy. Again, there's a reason their are 2 real Lunar builds at the moment: it's all their charmset is good for.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

5:Lack of good mental charms
    7: Prevalence of one true builds
    8:Charm Tree Structure
    These are the ones that bug me the most, too. Lunars have a few good options and a lot of mediocre ones, and they often don't get enough Charms to slog through all the speed bumps to the stuff they actually want.

I actually like their Excellency structure: less powerful than Solars in a given field, but more versatile. I wish the writers had applied that principle when it came time to make the rest of their Charms.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I actually like their Excellency structure: less powerful than Solars in a given field, but more versatile. I wish the writers had applied that principle when it came time to make the rest of their Charms.
    Yeah, the excellencies aren't the problem, though their dice cap could use a bit of a boost(being worse than the DB one can make certain things difficult).
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #867
    Barbarian in the Playground

Earthshaker Flute

An instrument forged from the memory of Balor's fall upon the ground of Creation, the Flute is a potent instrument which can be played to make the ground itself tremble. When used normally, its notes echo with the perfection of the Wyld, imbuing them with far more impact on susceptible minds than would otherwise be possible.

In order to function properly, the Flute must be reminded of its mythical origin each season. At the turn of the season, the Flute and a hundred identical copies are cast into the air, and its prospective owner must identify it by the sound it makes as it falls. To commemorate and enable this event, the Flute can be played in such a way as to create a replica of itself, as often as desired.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Flute is a thing of beauty
    World Angering Earth Mastery - when a specific tune is played on the Flute, it makes the ground tremble so that all others nearby find their footing terribly unstable. This makes it far more difficult for them to dodge blows.
    Sovereign Air Shape - when it is not used to play either of its empowered tunes, the Flute's notes are carried by the winds into the ears of all and sundry, enhancing its user's Performance.
    Ordinary Object Conjuration - the Flute's other tune of power creates replicas of itself, though these lack its magical properties.

Soul Shattering Note

In the depths of the Northern Wyld, there is a realm that is composed entirely of music. Buildings, inhabitants, landscapes, food... all is woven out of tunes and melody. The Creation-born who go there find they are nothing more than easily unravelled bits of song to the natives - but those who return with their selves intact have learned the first portions of an awesome martial art, becoming bearers of the Note.

One who possesses the Note can use song as a weapon, forming punches and kicks from lyrics and voice alone. Such attacks can strike at considerable distance, and are somehow fully compatible with the martial arts of Creation. The full name of the Note comes from the fact that the wounds it inflicts can be impossible to heal, unravelling the very essence of its victims it is used by a sufficiently skilled artist - or one who still bears the fresh memories of learning the Note in the Wyld.

1-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of the Person's Heart - knowledge of the Note manifests only as a minor Wyld taint on one thus enlightened.
    Kinfe Hand Dream - the Note can cut flesh with ease, and its higher essence users inflict considerable damage with it.
    Luminous Exhalation - no matter how often it is employed, the Note is never depleted.
    Surpassing Excellence - the Note is of considerable use for both offensive and defensive purposes.

In combat the Note manifests as music that can cause or deflect blows, even at range. Mechanically, it works like Fine daggers with a further +2 to accuracy and defense, with unlimited ammunition if thrown (also with +2 accuracy), possibly enhanced damage, and is compatible with any and all martial arts.

I know I've made this one before.

Book of Faces

When the Fair Folk wish to visit Creation, they occasionally decide to take on the features of their lesser cousins, the Lunars. To this end, they require the knack to take on a limited variety of animal forms - why it must be so restrictive the Raksha sages cannot tell, but such disputes tend to escalate in the homes of those mad enough to host Fair Folk scolars, destroying all four walls quite promptly.

In any case, the Book is inscribed with the general properties of those animals a visiting Raksha most wishes to emulate, and carried into Creation. There, simply by opening it at the proper page, the Book's owner can find out about the creature's behavior, likes, dislikes, and friends. This effect is enhanced by the associated transmutation, which turns the user into the depicted animal.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - anyone studying the Book will be filled with the feeling that it represents some form of epitome of social life.
    Bestial Transformation x3 - the Book can convey three different shapes to its owner.
    Imposition of Law - by looking up any animal within the Book, its owner gains immense knowledge about it. Only stunts or Charms can grant any form of privacy to the creature thus studied.

You can also skip the Imposition of Law for an extra shape and Mad God Mien, so your shapechanging is unaffected by counter-magic.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Banned

DruidGirl

So how does one go about starting a game here?

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TentacleGirl View Post
    So how does one go about starting a game here?
    Go to the Finding Players sub-forum (second from bottom) and make a thread. Put you game system & the word recruiting in the title. Put your houserules/general rules & plot intro in your first post. Then just sit back and wait for people to turn up.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-06-18 at 02:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

You'd want to post in the 'Finding Players' section of the board, asking if an ST's interested in a game.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine