New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The straight gays object to being associated with glitter! Being loud or silly is not part of a non-heterosexual identity.

Yes, even though my avatar is wearing a fancy dress.
    The straight gays? So is that like metrosexual but for gays? So Trainsexual?
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-04-25 at 03:55 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    And yes, Ireland is basically the opposite of Australia. We have one venomous animal, it is a small vole, quite rare and also tiny. If you managed to find one, riled it up, got it to bite you and then ate it, you would get ... a mild rash and a bit of a tummy ache. Our most dangerous animal is the deer. Also rare and very shy. It's dangerous because if you managed to find one and drive into it, it might come through the windshield and hurt you. Our most aggressive animal is probably the grey squirrel. I think they bite when cornered, but I'm not sure. Our predators are small hawks and a few smallish eagles in very isolated places. You would have to go to a LOT of trouble to get injured by wildlife and it'd be ludicrously difficult to get killed. I think your best bet would be the deer, or, if domestic animals count, maybe a cow or a big dog.
    I'm pretty sure southern Illinois' most dangerous things about are deer, various rodents, the occasional mountain lion for some reason and brambles. So many brambles. o_O

Oh, and coyotes. Or at least, I'm told they're coyotes. I'm having difficulty believing that horrible, horrible chorus could ever be made by anything of this earth. Even artificial things. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Weeeell we were on a graduation trip to Rhodes and one night there was an open bar at the beach if you wore a toga, so we did. Naturally a bunch of us, as young lads, decided to not wear anything under our togas and as the night progressed things started to slip for some of us. One unlucky and not very bright fellow snagged his slipping toga on some wire, tore it and declared that since he was now naked he might as well try to copulate with his drink and well you know the rest.

All in all it was an interesting night.
    Disturbingly enough, the only question I have is "why absinthe"?

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Good news, everyone! It was my boyfriend's first time swimming at the public pool since... since many years ago. We had a good time.
    I had not swum in years either. In fact, I'm barely able to avoid sinking like a stone; my affinity with water is in the negative. Who cares, it's still soothing, and he's going to go there weekly from now on
    ^_^ *Hugs you both*

I wonder if I could swim again now that my ears have recovered... I'd have to keep them immaculately clean, but maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    curl... up... in... little.. warm... ball... of... bliss...
    No! Take me with you!

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

Oh, Keveak. Assimilated is such a strong word. We prefer to say you're "coming around to the preferred alignment".
    That actually sounds quite nice, maybe-No, Kenderveak, don't give in!

*Dramatic internal struggle*

Wait, why am I fighting the side with reason, amazingness and happy funs? I like reasonable amazing fun stuff! :3

Good news, everyone! It was my boyfriend's first time swimming at the public pool since... since many years ago. We had a good time.
    I had not swum in years either. In fact, I'm barely able to avoid sinking like a stone; my affinity with water is in the negative. Who cares, it's still soothing, and he's going to go there weekly from now on
    Sounds great! ^_^

Hope your future water adventures will be just as much fun, with or without water affinity.

The straight gays object to being associated with glitter! Being loud or silly is not part of a non-heterosexual identity.

Yes, even though my avatar is wearing a fancy dress.
    Objection!

Glitter and silliness are vital for all identities, from baker to Elven Space Carpenter. To build an identity without foolishness and millions of nuanced reflections of the world would be truly silly!

And this is certainly not an excuse to glitter-glomp Yora, I assure you! >_>

*Glomps Yora in a wave of glitter*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow. I have been very very drunk in my time, and I have never experienced the urge to attempt sexual intimacy with my drink or, indeed, any inanimate objects. I'm loving the logic jump from "Welp, I'm naked!" to "Best get funky with whatever I'm currently holding!"
    As long as we're discussing the amusing effects of drinking, it turns out that if you give a bunch of computer science nerds copious alcohol, a Miley Cyrus concert suddenly breaks out. A very loud, off-key Miley Cyrus concert, with dancing. I really wish I had some recording device with me at the time. Then again, for the sake of the world...

I'm thinking glitter napalm might be worthy of investment. Get DARPA on the phone, pronto!

A last bit on Lil Shiro's poem- I really do agree that it shouldn't have been labelled as inappropriate, I was just trying to run through the thought process of someone who might think so. I would be interested in hearing if there ever was a reason given when he asked why it was "inappropriate". From a technical standpoint, I just wish the images were a little more vivid and that were more adjectives in it. Oh, and were I writing a similar thing, I might play with meter a bit, but I'm a meter shenanigans fangirl. Not that anyone asked
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. I have been very very drunk in my time, and I have never experienced the urge to attempt sexual intimacy with my drink or, indeed, any inanimate objects. I'm loving the logic jump from "Welp, I'm naked!" to "Best get funky with whatever I'm currently holding!"
    You should go drinking with Icelanders we do weird logic jumps all the time while drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Disturbingly enough, the only question I have is "why absinthe"?

~Bianca
    Well we were about to take a shot and said tearage happened as he ran to the bar to join us.

Also to quote him
    The chick on the bottle looked hot
    and indeed there was a tiny image of the green fairy on the neck of the bottle.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

The straight gays? So is that like metrosexual but for gays? So Trainsexual?
    The non-camp non-heterosexuals.

All fun silliness aside, I think camp has long outgrown its use in raising queer awareness and is now one of the biggest obstacles in gaining equal rights. After the 90s, it has become a kind of gay minstrel show. It evokes conontations of playing the clown for other people because being laughed at is a step up from being hated. It makes even me uncomfortable, so how can I expect people who cling to old views to show more respect, when that's the only representation of non-heterosexuals they see?
    Not to say people are not free to express themselves in that way if that's the way the feel about themselves, but I don't want to be represented that way.

Yes, I am a bit gloomy this evening, but that's my special civil rights issue.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

I've found that the only people I can actually not be discriminated by are my friends, my parents, tolerant individuals, and LGBT.

Wow, I feel really alone all of a sudden. Like an outsider. Going to a school where everyone believes in God, and have been taught to believe LGBT is wrong is... Painful.

It hurt when I got there; "why don't you think girls are hot?" (An intolerant jerk)

It hurt afterwards; "I'm a lesbian." (My ex-girlfriend)

It still hurts; "Telling everyone would be a bad idea." (My LGBT friends, who know how bad some freshman can be)
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

*hugs the gloomy out of Yora*

Tris:
    Spoiler
    Show
    High school is in many ways a bad place. People are hormon-filled and insecure, which is a hurtful cocktail if you don't understand why everyone is suddenly acting crazy.
    Most people are just trying to fit in. They have no idea who they are, and what they stand for, so they latch on to other people's values and ideas in an attempt to define their own. Over time, they get better at weeding out the bad from the good, and they grow more secure in themselves. But in the high school period, both body and brain are literally rearranging themselves, so you can't expect most people to be stable or rational.
    Add to this that the brain isn't fully developed until your mid-twenties, and it starts to make sense.
    Just remember, that the most loud-mouthed, bigoted high schoolers are usually the most insecure, themselves. It must be hard not knowing how to be oneself.

In regards to high school, the slogan isn't just true for LGBTA people, but for everyone: It gets better.

Ride it out, Tris, and ENJOY the friends you have. As someone who stood alone against the crazy crowd, I almost envy you (I know, not what you need to hear... but mature, tolerant friends really are worth their weight in gold at that age ).

I'm sorry it hurts, and I hope you're done soon. Your school does sound exceptionally toxic. *hugs if you want them*
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

The non-camp non-heterosexuals.

All fun silliness aside, I think camp has long outgrown its use in raising queer awareness and is now one of the biggest obstacles in gaining equal rights. After the 90s, it has become a kind of gay minstrel show. It evokes conontations of playing the clown for other people because being laughed at is a step up from being hated. It makes even me uncomfortable, so how can I expect people who cling to old views to show more respect, when that's the only representation of non-heterosexuals they see?
    Not to say people are not free to express themselves in that way if that's the way the feel about themselves, but I don't want to be represented that way.

Yes, I am a bit gloomy this evening, but that's my special civil rights issue.
    I'm sorta on the other end; I'm bothered by the "we're just like you" argument, because that shouldn't make any difference. Whether or not I deserve to be treated as a human has nothing to do with the way I dress, act, present myself or anything. Iunno, just the fact that there's sometimes this general drive to present as LGBT+ as just a variant of the whole nuclear family just seems to be kicking quite a few people in the dust. (I trailed of into generalities, this isn't really directed at you.)

I think the main thing is that LGBT+ is so diverse that you can't really pick certain archetypes to represent it; it's much to varied for that. And promoting certain narratives does a lot more harm than it does good. (Something I've seen far to often among trans* people, both externally and internally.)

Also: *hugs*

-----

Random linkies:
    This is your brain.

Gender stereotypes.

And this transphobic gem. (TW: Transphobia)
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-04-25 at 05:20 PM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #790

First, and most importantly, *hugs*

Second

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I've found that the only people I can actually not be discriminated by are my friends, my parents, tolerant individuals, and LGBT.
    It's hard for tolerant people to discriminate, because in that case, we have some definitional weirdness going on.

Although on the other hand, I've seen plenty of "tolerant" people discriminating. My mother, for example, who's generally tolerant so long as none of the things she's "tolerating" are things she ca't shut off or turn away from. See also every discussion I had with my friends that boiled down to "I'm tolerant of "X" so long as they're not too "X" about it.

Everything Glass Mouse has said about high school is correct and wise. Be at least relatively thankful that you haven't done what I did and become a person you hate to deal with it. You can make it through though, and things do get better. It's cold comfort, but I'm a pretty cold person, so that's all I can give you ^_^

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Tris:
    Spoiler
    Show
    High school is in many ways a bad place. People are hormon-filled and insecure, which is a hurtful cocktail if you don't understand why everyone is suddenly acting crazy.
    Most people are just trying to fit in. They have no idea who they are, and what they stand for, so they latch on to other people's values and ideas in an attempt to define their own. Over time, they get better at weeding out the bad from the good, and they grow more secure in themselves. But in the high school period, both body and brain are literally rearranging themselves, so you can't expect most people to be stable or rational.
    Add to this that the brain isn't fully developed until your mid-twenties, and it starts to make sense.
    Just remember, that the most loud-mouthed, bigoted high schoolers are usually the most insecure, themselves. It must be hard not knowing how to be oneself.

In regards to high school, the slogan isn't just true for LGBTA people, but for everyone: It gets better.

Ride it out, Tris, and ENJOY the friends you have. As someone who stood alone against the crazy crowd, I almost envy you (I know, not what you need to hear... but mature, tolerant friends really are worth their weight in gold at that age ).

I'm sorry it hurts, and I hope you're done soon. Your school does sound exceptionally toxic. *hugs if you want them*
    But I realized through all the drag, the fun of it, that being a woman is fun. Sure, it feels odd, but it also feels right. I never identified as either gender for a long time, but now I see why.

And it scares the hell out of me.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Banned

Dropped quote: but the article said lacy armor is for girlz only, no boyz allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Important tip - do not use 70% alcohol gel for intimate hygiene.

Eh I generally believe that people should be allowed to put what they want into their bodies as long as they are also held responsible for the effect it may have (ie no medical coverage except what you pay for out of your own pocket for illnesses directly caused by your abuse) and that drinking at 15-16 isn't going to harm you.
    I like the turian method. Whatever you do is fine, so long as you're not causing trouble and still perform your duties. Just don't expect leniency or being allowed to work heavy machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Well, to be fair, you need to compare the coverage of armour like that to other breastplates. Also, I think you've misinterpreted me, as I was only mentioning how things would be deflected, not what wasn't covered.

As for falling and the pressure on the sternum. I do believe that was mentioned as the major problem with it in the article, then reiterated here by Keveak, and concurred with by me in that quote you replied to . So we are all definitely in agreement there.

P.S. http://www.collegehumor.com/video/65...le-armor-sucks
    I thinks it's just a matter of saying it over and over while it sinks in. "will redirect force to sternum" doesn't do justice breaking your sternum and sending a wedge of metal slamming Into your pericardium with your full body weight behind it.

And yes, Ireland is basically the opposite of Australia. We have one venomous animal, it is a small vole, quite rare and also tiny. If you managed to find one, riled it up, got it to bite you and then ate it, you would get ... a mild rash and a bit of a tummy ache. Our most dangerous animal is the deer. Also rare and very shy. It's dangerous because if you managed to find one and drive into it, it might come through the windshield and hurt you. Our most aggressive animal is probably the grey squirrel. I think they bite when cornered, but I'm not sure. Our predators are small hawks and a few smallish eagles in very isolated places. You would have to go to a LOT of trouble to get injured by wildlife and it'd be ludicrously difficult to get killed. I think your best bet would be the deer, or, if domestic animals count, maybe a cow or a big dog.
    I guarantee there is a tourist somewhere who would not only most likely die of privation (doubtless a stone's throw away from someplace with free room and board) but who could also paint the lush jungles of Ireland as a terrifying labyrinth.

I grew up in southern California, so we had coyote-things, snakes, lizards who would try to bite off your fingers but didn't have any real teeth, swarms of ants like mobile rugs... But mostly we had to look out for the giant scorpions. They stopped attacking once we got our population up, but on the occasional caravan trip to fetch more life-sustaining water from one of the few oases, some young'n innevitably got snatched up and stolen away to languish in the caverns and feed the young. Occasionally the scorpions would abscond with a musician, who survived by soothing them and becoming part if their colony. It is said he who hears eerie music in a sandstorm is being called by the scorpions, and if you bring a Sheep's mandible into the dunes you can trade it for treasures untold.

The sheep has a mandibular structure best suited for an arachnid-pleasing flute, you see.

That does sound exciting! I would enjoy that a lot! I used to be mad for the pears.
    Wait, pears are a choice? I choose pears!

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    That one is both sweet and great <3

While that one... ugh. I hope that teacher had some amazing concluding points about gender expectations to make up for it.

But I realized through all the drag, the fun of it, that being a woman is fun. Sure, it feels odd, but it also feels right. I never identified as either gender for a long time, but now I see why.

I can't really help with that part... I'll still offer hugs, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

14. - Top - End - #794

ElfMonkGuy

Yay! Glad y'all had fun
    1.)
    2.) Amen!
    3.)That sucks. I really wish that kind of stuff didn't happen
    Poems!
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

15. - Top - End - #795
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hell no, we don't have bears! Seriously, the most dangerous thing that could happen to you in the wilds here is falling into a bog. Or off a cliff, I suppose.

Good luck with your exam!

I've got 10 exams - nine essay papers and one practical - starting on Monday. Nine essay papers in 11 days, then a practical, then an interview, then results the next day. Then I'll be finished college!
    I guess if I move to the UK I'll need to bring a few bears with me.

It's only a Cell Bio exam on cell membranes, cell signalling, and cytoskeletons. I'll be fine. Definitely good luck to you, though. Nine papers and an exam. Dang.

Oh, Keveak. Assimilated is such a strong word. We prefer to say you're "coming around to the preferred alignment".
    I'm the half of us who admits that we're assimilating you.

Cool! Swimming is fun. Of course, it's much more fun when one does not sink. Stupid high bone/muscle density.

I'm pretty sure southern Illinois' most dangerous things about are deer, various rodents, the occasional mountain lion for some reason and brambles. So many brambles. o_O

Oh, and coyotes. Or at least, I'm told they're coyotes. I'm having difficulty believing that horrible, horrible chorus could ever be made by anything of this earth. Even artificial things. Ever.

~Bianca
    Coyotes aren't that bad. Have you ever heard a red fox's cry? Now that is some scary ****. As for artificial things, have you never heard dubstep?

1. I like the jacket.
    2. I like this!
    3. What. I don't even know what I would do in that situation. Probably walk to the front of the room, pull down the projector screen, and take over the lecture.

Wow, I feel really alone all of a sudden. Like an outsider. Going to a school where everyone believes in God, and have been taught to believe LGBT is wrong is... Painful.

It hurt when I got there; "why don't you think girls are hot?" (An intolerant jerk)

It hurt afterwards; "I'm a lesbian." (My ex-girlfriend)

It still hurts; "Telling everyone would be a bad idea." (My LGBT friends, who know how bad some freshman can be)
    *hugs*
    Teens can be very hurtful because they're so confused and insecure themselves, and they're just trying to fit in to what the media and society tells them is normal. But, it gets better.
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #796

I'm sorta on the other end; I'm bothered by the "we're just like you" argument, because that shouldn't make any difference. Whether or not I deserve to be treated as a human has nothing to do with the way I dress, act, present myself or anything. Iunno, just the fact that there's sometimes this general drive to present as LGBT+ as just a variant of the whole nuclear family just seems to be kicking quite a few people in the dust. (I trailed of into generalities, this isn't really directed at you.)

I think the main thing is that LGBT+ is so diverse that you can't really pick certain archetypes to represent it; it's much to varied for that. And promoting certain narratives does a lot more harm than it does good. (Something I've seen far to often among trans* people, both externally and internally.)

Also: *hugs*

-----

Random linkies:
    This is your brain.

Gender stereotypes.

And this transphobic gem. (TW: Transphobia)
    *So many hugs*

I don't really like those "we're no different" bits either - it's like saying there are "wrong" ways to be who you are. :/

*Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Coyotes aren't that bad. Have you ever heard a red fox's cry? Now that is some scary ****. As for artificial things, have you never heard dubstep?
    It wasn't the howls so much as how many there were (and how each new one sounded progressively louder and closer than the last (and how even the first one was still going on when we went inside))...

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

17. - Top - End - #797

This is unrelated, but I have a quick story- I've started training my voice to be able to be less baritone and more feminine. Normally, I do this while I'm in the car driving to and from work, since it's about forty minutes each way. Today, my father was home when I got back, and as I got out of the car, he asked me how my day went. I forgot to switch voices when I told him it was fine. Thankfully, I thought quickly, and just cleared my throat and acted like my voice had just cracked.

Re: fifference/non-difference: I'm a fan of a Teilhard phrase about the best kind of unity being "a unity that differentiates." I think it's important to highlight that people, regardless of orientation, do share a lot of the same fundamental dreams, hopes, and fears, and connect with others through that, but at the same time, to point out that they go about them in very different ways, and that those desires take very different specific forms.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nick274 View Post
    1.)
    2.) Amen!
    3.)That sucks. I really wish that kind of stuff didn't happen
    It looks like you mixed up my post with Astrella's.

EDIT: Hodor!
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-25 at 08:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really like those "we're no different" bits either - it's like saying there are "wrong" ways to be who you are. :/
    The way I interpret is, it's just like saying "we're humans too". We're all different and weird, but there are some things that bind humans together, and that slogan emphasizes the things that are alike in LGBTA and non-LGBTA people (if you can even make that distinction).
    Way I see it, it's a way to break down the mystification and "othering" that happen to LGBTA people. One of the big hindrances for the movement is people thinking that you're (we're? so confused) fundamentally different. Because people fear what they don't understand.
    It's basically a shorthand way to invoke empathy in the listener. It hopefully gets a "oh, so I can relate to them!" reaction.

The people who'll interpret it as "oh, so they're suit-wearing, boring people (which is the only way to be!)" are probably the types who are intolerant of all differences in the first place.
    Of course, those are the types we'd gain the most from reaching. Hmm.

"We're no different" is a bad slogan for different reasons. The word "no" is invicible to any reader. The word that stays with them is "different", which is not what the speaker intended.
    "We're just like you" would be infinitely better in that regard.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

The way I interpret is, it's just like saying "we're humans too". We're all different and weird, but there are some things that bind humans together, and that slogan emphasizes the things that are alike in LGBTA and non-LGBTA people (if you can even make that distinction).
    Way I see it, it's a way to break down the mystification and "othering" that happen to LGBTA people. One of the big hindrances for the movement is people thinking that you're (we're? so confused) fundamentally different. Because people fear what they don't understand.
    It's basically a shorthand way to invoke empathy in the listener. It hopefully gets a "oh, so I can relate to them!" reaction.

The people who'll interpret it as "oh, so they're suit-wearing, boring people (which is the only way to be!)" are probably the types who are intolerant of all differences in the first place.
    Of course, those are the types we'd gain the most from reaching. Hmm.

"We're no different" is a bad slogan for different reasons. The word "no" is invicible to any reader. The word that stays with them is "different", which is not what the speaker intended.
    "We're just like you" would be infinitely better in that regard.
    And what's so great about being human that it deserves special treatment? Isn't being sapient enough?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And what's so great about being human that it deserves special treatment? Isn't being sapient enough?
    Oops, yes, of course. I forgot about our favorite six-armed golly

The point was more about relatability. We sympathize with things we understand. That's why creatures with eyes and fur get all the PR in regards to species protection.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Oops, yes, of course. I forgot about our favorite six-armed golly

The point was more about relatability. We sympathize with things we understand. That's why creatures with eyes and fur get all the PR in regards to species protection.
    Relatability is overrated IMO. I find humans really unrelatable. Mentally, physically, socially.
    Last edited by golentan; 2012-04-26 at 01:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with you on the mentally and socially part, golentan. To me, its the entire world around me thats strange.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

This is absolutely fascinating - current theories on the neurological causes of transsexuality. I kinda want to know what my brain looks like now.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

25. - Top - End - #805
    Banned

Not if you're human and transcendence is not a viable option.
    In general, being sapient is sufficient, but if you're human, then you may as well be good at it. It's a sort of selfish statement, because it's important to its target but to anyone outside, well, you've no reason to be bothered.

Kind of like sanity. Requires a certain framework. Change the reference point enough and it stops being a valid scale.

Relatability is overrated IMO. I find humans really unrelatable. Mentally, physically, socially.
    I'm sorry. You must be awfully bored a lot of the time

Yeah...

26. - Top - End - #806

It seems the 12 armed hug shuts down all parts of the brain except the parts relating to hugs...rendering the huggee in a coma like hug state.

Who wants one next :D

Also, will have to watch that youtube video when I'm not on my phone. I study psychology so it should be intresting.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

I always wanted to study psychology but couldn't manage it :<

(also, hugs golly)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    This is absolutely fascinating - current theories on the neurological causes of transsexuality. I kinda want to know what my brain looks like now.
    We had a discussion about a neurological theory for gender fluidity a few pages back - did you look at that? It sounds very impressive but I'd lie if I said I understand it.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #809
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    It seems the 12 armed hug shuts down all parts of the brain except the parts relating to hugs...rendering the huggee in a coma like hug state.
    Arch. Yes. Ferry faschinating. It is serpently a powerful method of restraining both huggee and huggers.
    (fun fact: Small cool is also wearing zafety goggles for ze experimenth)

And Heliomance, I can't watch the video on this crappy computer, but I love neurology. Or rather, I have a profound affection for the human brain. It is capable of so much, even if we cannot easily understand it. But then again, you can draw a pencil with one. Maybe we can bend our minds around ourselves and avoid imploding yet.
    We are older than music / what we bring is light / what we bring is a star / what we bring / is an ancient sea.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Banned

Nuclear family doesn't require a male and female parent.

~