New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTiden View Post
    My arteries are the only barrier standing between me and sleep. At least, thas whst the voices in my head told me. They speak with Morgan Freeman's voice. I should deprive myself of sleep more often...
    If they all speak in the same voice, how do you know there's more than one voice in your head?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    If they all speak in the same voice, how do you know there's more than one voice in your head?
    They form a barbershop quartet.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Oh my gawd, I foundeded a Lixie. *stares*
    They're quite common around these parts.

I have gotten no sleep. At all. I feel all light and floaty! I love dru- wait, this is sleep deprivation, not drugs. I get those mixed up a lot. I do feel that the fossil is quite an interesting cuddletato. Mmm, now I am craving tacos... I should stop posting before my level of insanity reaches critical mass. Toodleoo! Heheh. Toodleoo sounds funny.
    Aw I love it when that happens. It's so much fun.

They form a barbershop quartet.
    ... I AM SWIMMING IN THE JELLO SEA
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

WHOOOOOO! *Streaks through the thread*

Anyway, just wondering, I'm looking to express my feminine side a bit more, and any suggestions? Bianca suggested dressing up.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    WHOOOOOO! *Streaks through the thread*

Anyway, just wondering, I'm looking to express my feminine side a bit more, and any suggestions? Bianca suggested dressing up.
    Nice new avatar. It's better than what I was planning.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

6. - Top - End - #96

@Lea: I like your avatar too. It's cute! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot! I didn't know it was that good. (and then LGBTitP is just below that...)
    n.n

Some are born gay. Others have gayness thrust within upon them. Either way they were given no say in the matter.

On pale=drugie: I wanted to get tan so I could look like my Colombian father's side of the family. Does this mean I look MORE like a drugie? Also, apparently having the Mona Lisa as your iPod background is also a drugie thing... Well...
    Druggies think abstractly. Art is abstract. Druggies appreciate art. Only druggies appreciate art.

This thread is full of vampires. Awesome roman vampires.

I'll be sitting over here with this sharp stick :P
    I don't really like (ancient) Rome. They spent half of their time copying things everyone else was doing and calling it glorious for... Being less un-Roman, I guess. And the Imperial measurement systems are just...

Now, I was a vampire before being a vampire was cool (and consequently uncool).

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    I am also very pale! *wants attention!*
    *Doesn't pay attention*

We got some sunshine once. I remember it well. The small, pale sun showed its face from behind the clouds and people wailed and cowered in the shadows. We were, as is our custom, wearing clothes as though we have seasons, although in truth we only have two very similar seasons; long-days-warm-rain and short-days-cold-rain. As it happened this came to pass when others would call it "spring", which is the start of long-days-warm-rain, so people were wearing skirts and tshirts and such, tho' it cause them to tremble and turn faintly blue. So when this sunlight came and people ventured into the light to play and eat icecream without having to shelter the icecream from the rain, our snow white skin did glow, and it is said that the glare from the sun off our skin blinded birds and at least one pilot. It lasted four days of chaos and people will rank it among the great unexplained natural disasters that came to pass, along with Those Two Years We Actually Got Real Snow That Was Cold And Not Slushy And The Whole Country Shut Down.

Seriously, when all you ever get is different kinds of rain and wind and sometimes a sort of weak cloudy sunshine (that causes people to say things like "It's scorching out!" and go around in shorts and sandals), you get really impressed by, y'know, weather. And we don't get hurricanes, blizzards, heatwaves, tsunamis, earthquakes, or, in fact, anything remotely dangerous at all, so stuff like Snow! and Sunlight! is as exciting as it gets!
    I'd kill to live in the magical fantasyworld you just described. With a plastic mackerel.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    My mom made me and my sister take drug tests because "we were looking paler, and she smelled a skunk, and her friend in the FBI said marijuana smells like skunk." We found the skunks body the next day and she still won't apologize for not trusting us. Probably just another reason for not coming out.

~
    *Facepalm* My parents don't stock rubbing alcohol because they assume I'll drink it. They assume that because they've seen other teenagers drink it. Two decades ago.

There's a lot of peroxide about, though, so that's kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    You have such lovely hair... *murmurs*

-----

I'm rather pale as well, but I quite like my skin and it's rather smooth too.
    Where's that emoticon with the little hearts floating around it when you need it...

I do like my paleness... I'm just worried about the whole "being able to feel the sun underneath my skin" part... And the getting sunburned in less than 30 minutes for not having a popped collar... >.>

While my local experiences with weather are on a much less... bland scale, I am able to sympathize with you. Here, it is basically just 'fog, fog, fog, oh hey look, some clou- oh wait, nope, that is just more fog'. Except when London steals all the good fog, and the temperature hits around 75°, which is a heat wave basically. Yeah. I like the fog, but... jeez.

Oh, right, hello there everybody! >_>

Oh, and more on the current topic, I am quite happy with my olive-y skin. My father's Mediterranean roots really show. Oh, and I like my hair too.
    It is a sort of dirty blond, and everyone says it is incredibly soft. I am actually planning to go get it trimmed today, so it will start growing again. Right now it is just at the length where I can not pull my bangs back into a ponytail with the rest of my hair, so it hangs down in my face no matter what.
    *Welcomeglomp!* >:3

I have the same problem with ponytails... There's one little bit that isn't quite long enough to reach back there. It's really really wavy, so it looks kind of cool, but it doesn't make the ponytail very practical... >.>

I have gotten no sleep. At all. I feel all light and floaty! I love dru- wait, this is sleep deprivation, not drugs. I get those mixed up a lot. I do feel that the fossil is quite an interesting cuddletato. Mmm, now I am craving tacos... I should stop posting before my level of insanity reaches critical mass. Toodleoo! Heheh. Toodleoo sounds funny.

*defenestrates self*
    ... THIS COMPUTER IS NOT MAGIC. IT IS ELECTRICAL. ELECTRICITY WORKS BY BEING MOVED. SOMETHING MUST BE MOVING IT. MUST. FIND. THING. *grabs five screwdrivers (and a set of pliers) at once and giggles*

Fortunately, last time I did that I had an old, nonworking 90's computer handy. And a similarly-aged walkie talkie.

... My spellcheck recognizes talkie, but not walkie...

~Bianca
    Last edited by Arachu; 2012-04-14 at 01:40 PM.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    My mom made me and my sister take drug tests because "we were looking paler, and she smelled a skunk, and her friend in the FBI said marijuana smells like skunk." We found the skunks body the next day and she still won't apologize for not trusting us. Probably just another reason for not coming out.

~
    That's bonkers! I first saw a home drug test when I was visiting my partner's family in the States and I was like "What?! How does this happen?!". In Ireland we're all just healthily alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Oooo weather if there is anything an Icelander knows it's weather. I would kill for bland weather. You say you have the same weather for more then 10 minutes at a time? INCONCEIVABLE! I've been up for about 7 hours now and in that time we've had rain, fog, hail, fog, rain, snow, windy, rain, sun, cloudy, rain, hail, rain and now sunny. The temperature has also gone randomly up and down between 0°C and 10°C.

This is why I want to move to the UK I hear you guys have mostly rain and 10°C over there which is perfect.

And miss Wizard as for the Irish weather it sounds like Dylan Moran wasn't exaggerating http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccLy8498yg
    I don't know what you're talking about. "Fierce mild" is a perfectly legitimate term for describing exceptionally not-cold weather.

We do change weather a lot. It's just ... always some variant of rain and/or cloud. I think Irish weather is a bit set in its way. It'll do a bit of snow or a bit of sun, but it'll rain AT THE SAME TIME to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I mean imagine a better plan. It's easy. It's literally anything else.
    Oh, right! Good, good!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I'd kill to live in the magical fantasyworld you just described. With a plastic mackerel.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

8. - Top - End - #98
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous person
    17, bisexual, love this comic.

For the longest time I lacked certainty given that my uh, interests change quite randomly. It drives me up the wall sometimes, since I spent half a year getting crushes on girls while only being physically attracted to males. Next thing you know I’m back to being gender blind. Shrugs all around. Ima be a confused donut forever.

The other thing is I'm a coward. It's been brought into question less than five times, yet unless it's over the phone where they can't spot my stomach collapsing; I just smile and look away. It's almost OCD how I delete history and close tabs when anybody even glances at my screen, from say 10 metres away.

Except there is no valid reason for paranoia whatsoever. They probably all know besides my parents. The pile of comments I've made about both sexes would have set off alarm bells everywhere. (Never deliberately, mind you, I just fail to shut up quickly enough.) Dad has flat out said that he wouldn't care; mum thinks it’s a mental illness, although I have it in good faith that she won’t bully me too badly. Hell, I didn’t even react the last time somebody yelled out related insults.

Wanna bet whether I'll get over it in a decade?
    This got in during the week, when I was out of town. Posting it now.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

OH.

MY.

GOD.

SMEE!

SMEE's back, everyone!
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

*glomps SMEE*

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #101

*Also glomps SMEE!*

*... and *hugs* Anonymous* :<

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

Gah. Phone glitche and all comments gone!

Okay then, I'll just be smarmy.
    Triscuitable: us cinder-topped folk have our own partic'lar beauty standards even. We have two general shades based on sun exposure, white and lobster.
    'beauty' is in whether you're pearlescent/alabaster, or plaster on the white end of the scale~

My fellow magician, you make me homesick for soil I have ne'er yet graced.

@ anon: you are you. Gender and orientation and preferred number of others and commitment level are all important, but never let those pieces of you become more important than the whole. Be true to yourself onthe moment; you'll find your way. The trick is in being happy between then and now.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-04-14 at 04:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Is it normal on meeting Smee to want to make pirate puns?

Anyway, I'll ask again. I'm looking to express my feminine side a bit more, and any suggestions? Bianca suggested dressing up.
    She can swing from a web

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

*hugs Anonymous Person tightly while stares in wonder at SMEE*

Thank you for making this thread series! It has enriched my life greatly.

Also aparently I give hugs so tight that they crush the boobs of one of my friends. I don't pay attention so I didn't notice.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Is it normal on meeting Smee to want to make pirate puns?

Anyway, I'll ask again. I'm looking to express my feminine side a bit more, and any suggestions? Bianca suggested dressing up.
    I enjoyed painting my toe nails; easy to hide if need be and express when you want (in my case, alone).

~

16. - Top - End - #106
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also a good plan. I'd be okay with swimming alongside a lifeboat, since I'm a pretty okay swimmer but I tire so easily because of the fatigue. Someone would have to keep an eye on me!

Spoiler
    Show
    What.
    I would save you!

Spoiler
    Show
    It was an excellent week. My reputation as a badass has soared.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick274 View Post
    HELL YA!

I feel great! I just told my parents and they are supportive of me.

Gosh it feel good not to hide it anymore .

Thank you everyone! *Starts massive group hug*
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    There are no words for how jealous this makes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Also jealous. How does that even work?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The bounds of my jealousy are as uncharted as the mythic deeps.
    :b
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was the only human to survive the whole game my first semester freshman year, and I didn't play again until this semester. Technically I can't win because I'm home for the weekend, but I lasted the entire week with no weapons (i.e., socks; the dart guns aren't allowed at my school), and spent most evenings chilling in my room with my walkie-talkie scanning so I could post all the zombies' plans and movements on the Humans group on facebook. My last move of the game was to walk right out the front doors of the science building with three zombies within arm's reach and a fourth within sight, and out-sprint one of the fastest kids in the school on my way back to my dorm. And I've been telling people all week (quite truthfully) that I'm really out of shape.

My thoughts on the matter, too. Two issues arise immediately though. The suction of the boat going down will pull you in if you aren't far enough out, which makes a sinking ship intoa time bomb that detonates at around 2:47 on the countdown. The second is, from memory, the water temperature is what really gets you. And I am unfortunately, desert-bred, and begin freezing in around 37C / 65F.

Another, more emergent issue for me is that I am terrible at endurance swimming. I'd have to gun for a lifeboat post-haste and hang off the edge for a while ><
    True, I suppose swimming would be dangerous. Maybe hanging onto the side of one of the escape boats?
    And endurance...what's that? I dumped Con because I only take levels in classes with large hit dice.

My mom just accused me of doing drugs... For being pale. And because she smelled something burnt (I can't for the life of me imagine what smelled burnt, though).

~Bianca
    Around my school the stoners tend to be less pale because they all smoke outside in the woods when they want to smoke during the day.

I am also very pale! *wants attention!*

We got some sunshine once. I remember it well. The small, pale sun showed its face from behind the clouds and people wailed and cowered in the shadows. We were, as is our custom, wearing clothes as though we have seasons, although in truth we only have two very similar seasons; long-days-warm-rain and short-days-cold-rain. As it happened this came to pass when others would call it "spring", which is the start of long-days-warm-rain, so people were wearing skirts and tshirts and such, tho' it cause them to tremble and turn faintly blue. So when this sunlight came and people ventured into the light to play and eat icecream without having to shelter the icecream from the rain, our snow white skin did glow, and it is said that the glare from the sun off our skin blinded birds and at least one pilot. It lasted four days of chaos and people will rank it among the great unexplained natural disasters that came to pass, along with Those Two Years We Actually Got Real Snow That Was Cold And Not Slushy And The Whole Country Shut Down.

Seriously, when all you ever get is different kinds of rain and wind and sometimes a sort of weak cloudy sunshine (that causes people to say things like "It's scorching out!" and go around in shorts and sandals), you get really impressed by, y'know, weather. And we don't get hurricanes, blizzards, heatwaves, tsunamis, earthquakes, or, in fact, anything remotely dangerous at all, so stuff like Snow! and Sunlight! is as exciting as it gets!
    Hehe, I grew up in and live in New England. Our weather is silly and weird. We don't get radical shifts in the weather in a single day all that often, although we can go from rain to sun or clear skies to thunderstorms remarkably quickly, and I've seen temperature fluctuations of over ten degrees (Celsius, obviously) in a single day.
    I remember one snow day in high school...on a sunny day with clear skies and eighteen degree weather. (The previous day it had been snowing and sleeting heavily on the drive to school and through the day.)

Oooo weather if there is anything an Icelander knows it's weather. I would kill for bland weather. You say you have the same weather for more then 10 minutes at a time? INCONCEIVABLE! I've been up for about 7 hours now and in that time we've had rain, fog, hail, fog, rain, snow, windy, rain, sun, cloudy, rain, hail, rain and now sunny. The temperature has also gone randomly up and down between 0°C and 10°C.

This is why I want to move to the UK I hear you guys have mostly rain and 10°C over there which is perfect.

And miss Wizard as for the Irish weather it sounds like Dylan Moran wasn't exaggerating http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccLy8498yg
    Okay you guys probably beat us if your weather fluctuates on a scale measured in ten-minute increments.
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    This got in during the week, when I was out of town. Posting it now.
    *hugs smee*

To Anonymous: Hey. Feel for you. Sounds like your parents are taking this better than mine would. I can relate on the internet thing though. I periodically flush my tabs even though I'm alone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Cross-posted from GitP on Facebook:

I'm looking into doing a project on the meaning of sex and gender, with special emphasis on GQ/Trans* issues. In this vein, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in providing their own views on how they consider their sex and gender to be part of them. I'm going to request that these stay as messages rather than be posted publicly (to avoid overmuch drama). If anything gets written and posted publicly in any forum I will ask for permission for anything that gets used. While I'm aware and have done some research on such issues before, there's so many different viewpoints and arguments out there that I thought it might be best to start from individual conceptions and move from there.

To be clear: I'm interested in making sure the project allows for everyone's identity. The original motivation was being asked by a friend "How can you argue for trans* rights if you can't explain why gender matters?" I'd like to be able to have an answer
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

19. - Top - End - #109

Um, guys/girls/etc?... I just looked in a mirror... And saw a girl. And she didn't mutate into a 'feminine male' - even when I leaned closer!

... It is so hard not to spam smileys right now. This must be what a "sugar rush" feels like.

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, guys/girls/etc?... I just looked in a mirror... And saw a girl. And she didn't mutate into a 'feminine male' - even when I leaned closer!

... It is so hard not to spam smileys right now. This must be what a "sugar rush" feels like.

~Bianca
    I'm glad! I remember quite clearly the first time that happened to me. It's a really lovely feeling, and I hope you feel it more! I know that it took a while for me to start seeing myself as female, but as soon as I saw it once, I could sort of force myself to see a woman in the mirror (although even now it can be hard to do so on my bad days).
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2012-04-14 at 11:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

@anon: the fluctuating attractino thing seems relatively common, based on what I've read in these threads. I can't give much advice on that, but i can offer *hugs* if you want them.

As for being cowardly, I didn't even acknowledge to myself that I was gay until I was 19, so you're still doing better than me . If being closeted bothers you, best of luck finding the determination to out yourself to family and friends, but don't feel any need to bring it up all the time either if you don't want to.

~Bianca
    Congratulations that's very nice to hear. Hopefully it'll happen fairly frequently from now on.

And are you implying that it's a bad thing to spam smilies ??? j/k
    Last edited by Caustic Soda; 2012-04-15 at 02:45 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

Neat-looking avatar by Ninja Chocobo.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

I can confirm my attraction patterns seem to be trying to outsmart themselves lest they ever fall into a predictability which can be used against me.

I recommend just acting as feels natural.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #113

~Bianca
    That is great! Glad to see you happy.
    She can swing from a web

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

~Bianca
    Ohmygosh! That's awesome! As are you!

In December, all I knew was that SRS existed and that some people had it, but now I almost envy how much struggle they have to go through, howmuch pain they have to endure to become themselves, to be who they really are. I nearly envy all their problems, not because they go through them, but because they have the strength to surpass them. I am so overjoyed when they accomplish something they set out to do. I know that sometimes it sucks, sometimes can bring about thoughts of suicide, but the fight is a long, long struggle. And I guess I'm slightly masochistic like that. Would explain my romantic situation and my tendency to dwell on an unrequited attraction.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

*back on the Internet after 48 hours busy IRL*
    *sees 3 whole pages have spawned spontaneously in the meanwhile*

*gives up participating in the discussion, will only respond to direct quotes*

Also, I adore your current avatar. I've always thought it was neat, but something about the attitudes, lines and curves appeals to my sense of aesthetics.*
    *looks down on the side*
    Really? Well, glad I didn't mess it up, I didn't put the same care in it as I usually do.

I think there also was a discussion on paleness not too long ago. Well, I've always been very pale, and it was a constant source of worry for my mother, and bullying from everyone else.
    ... on second thought, I'm not sure I want to take part in that one discussion.

Did I just see a Smee? oh my god it's a Smee
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Geez, guys. I can't catch up when you spawn two whole threads in just two weeks!

So. Sorry to interrupt a nice conversation, but I kinda have to write this somewhere... Feminism and sexuality venting ohoy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Growing an interest in feminism has netted me a depression-like state. I hate being a girl. I hate the world's view on girls. I hate being the only one in my RL circle who can see how society and the media treats my gender.

I hate that almost all my friends are guys, and would view me as a crazy feminazi if I opened my mouth. It hurts to hear my friends go "feminism is extreme" and then admit they haven't ever read a single feminist theory or blog. "Make me a sandwich!" jokes are starting to hurt.
    My boyfriend is oblivious and sweet. He goes "it's okay you feel like this", which... just makes me angry and hurt. I don't want his accept. I want understanding! I want someone to tell me I'm not entirely crazy for noticing and being bothered by these things.
    I'm trying to mask it with humor, but I have no idea how to joke about it without keeping their jokes alive. And it's such a sensitive subject for me that I can't even discuss it rationally without being hurt by people's ignorance... and then going into defensive mode. Of course no one wants to listen to me.
    I'm just so ****ing tired of feeling like a paranoid freak for this.

In lighter news, my sexuality is seriously messing with me. I had just decided that I was bi and demi when my mind started going completely gaga over guys... something I've never ever done before.
    Then girls.
    Then guys again.

I've had to fight myself not to downright ogle attractive people around me. It's frustrating and very confusing.

Right now, it's calmed down. And I've more or less given up. I think I'm bi eventhough I'll never be able to test it, but the demi theory is shaky. But then again, it's not like I would (want to) do anything, even if I were single. It's just... passionate looking
    I've kinda made peace with that part, though. If my mind wants to mess with me, eh, I know better than to try to fight it.

But the feminism thing really, really bugs me. Ugh.

Sorry for venting. I just needed to get this out... somewhere people won't see me as a freak. At least I'm pretty sure you won't.
    And I do know the solution. Stop feeling like a victim. Grab the empowering parts of feminism instead. Be patient with people around me. Don't take it personally.
    I'm... getting there. Hopefully.

And to make this post worthwhile...

I'm very sorry, but I don't remember if you're a cis girl? If so, ally yourself with girl friends, make a "girls night out" and have them call the shots. I did that myself, and it was tons of fun. (I bet it also works if you're a transwoman with cool friends)
    Other than that, you could watch stereotypically female movies. Romantic comedies and the like, just to immerse yourself in that universe for a while. Dress up, as Bianca said. Hug a plush animal (weird, I know, but it works for me). Groom yourself.
    Or just... talk to girls. Maybe this is only helpful if you're cis, but I feel incredibly girly whenever I'm around other girls. There's just something about the way they talk and interact that's infectous. But then, I'm a social chameleon, so it might not work for everyone.

Sorry if it's not very helpful. I'm not really Miss Feminine, myself.

Also, Arachu: That's awesome! You go, girl!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with feminism is that the extreme radical feminists are ruining it for the rest of them. Basically once more a vocal minority is forcing a stereotype on the rest of the group which makes it so that anyone not part of the group can't and won't take them seriously.

I bet most of the people that dismiss feminists as man hating feminazis are still all for equality and non exploitation of either gender but everytime someone brings up an issue one of these extreme feminists will pop up and a lot of people will distance themselves from the subject because of that.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

True words.

I don't even think a radical feminist has to be present. As soon as a feminist issue is brought up, many people have an "I KNOW!" reaction because they've heard radical feminists talk about it, and they know they don't agree with that.
    Kind of the same reaction many people get to political, environmental or other social issues, on all sides of the coin.

You're right, those people are all for equality. But part of the issue is that it's not limited to the economical and political arena where the fight - in Denmark, at least - is already more-or-less won. So a lot of people think that equality is this great thing we already have.
    Problem is, there's a lot of things to change in our preconceptions and our idea of "normal". An example: Why have we decided that the female body is inherently more beautiful than the male?

And most people don't like to challenge their preconceptions. They don't like to feel like oppressors and bad guys. IMO, the radical feminists are right insofar as most men hold opinions that are damaging (just like women do... but they gracefully ignore that part). But when you point those out, people feel attacked. Changing your preconceptions and admitting uncomfortable truths is hard work. And most of us don't really have a head for nuances. You're either a misogynist, or you aren't. So if someone accuses you of holding a misogynistic viewpoint or preconception, they must be saying that you're a misogynist - and you know you aren't!

I'm still struggling with that balance. I bet when I hit the right way to explain things, everything will get easier. Or at least less hostile.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with feminism is that the extreme radical feminists are ruining it for the rest of them. Basically once more a vocal minority is forcing a stereotype on the rest of the group which makes it so that anyone not part of the group can't and won't take them seriously.

I bet most of the people that dismiss feminists as man hating feminazis are still all for equality and non exploitation of either gender but everytime someone brings up an issue one of these extreme feminists will pop up and a lot of people will distance themselves from the subject because of that.
    Yes and no. There's also unfortunately a fair number of "I don't see a problem so it doesn't exist" types. I had to deal with one of them recently - the problem is they are convinced that there isn't any sexism in society anymore, so feminism is just women asking for special treatment. Like the guy that complains that harassment policies are sexist, because "they mean that he has to be afraid of losing his job for appreciating a pretty woman." Or asks why we have sexual assault programs talking about male/female relationships because "men can get raped too."

It's not that they aren't for equality, it's that they don't really have a conception of just how unequal things can be sometimes. They see a society where women can vote and work at the jobs they want and wear what they want - and don't see the social web that makes that difficult. They tend to focus mostly on the political fight, where most modern feminism looks more at the social.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2012-04-15 at 08:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

On a semi-related note: What do you peeps think of women pretending to be lesbian? I've been finding myself pretending to be a lesbian a lot lately (as opposed to bi/pan, which is true) because it just makes work so much easier. I'm in a mostly male environment. It actually significantly lowers the harassment rate if people think I'm a lesbian, and it just makes me a lot more comfortable knowing that the guys aren't seeing me as a potential partner when I'm not interested. I feel bad about pretending, but...