New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXX

[Lair]
    She smiles and lets her keep sleeping, gently rubbing her friend's back.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

After about an hour she began to stir, yawning.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

[Lair]
    Hey there, feeling okay?
    Antera pats her back.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lairan Dragon caverns]

Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post
    Pyrus sighs. He watches her go sadly. He didn't like her leaving him. But he didn't want her to be punished. He looks up at Draxxar slowly. He's afraid. He already missed Kestrel's arms and soft skin. What do you want? I did nothing to you. Or Krstrel.
    “Good. Keep it that way.” He answers, not taking the blood-red eyes off Pyrus.

Now, as intimidating as the old dragon appears, he’s actually a rather docile creature. He doesn’t attack or snarl now that his niece is gone, but rather seems to age about a thousand years. Suddenly, he’s elderly, tired. He drops his head to his forepaws and sighs deeply.

“Did you want something of me, Little Human?”
    Last edited by orb_of_blood; 2012-05-05 at 11:26 PM.
    Thank-you Ceika so much for my awesome avatar!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    Above the Sea

The ship sure impresses Eadin. It's nice to be at sea again like this, like at home..
    She sighs, home is here now.

She nods her head to him. "Alright, Captain. I will see you later." And she turns back to the sea.

Being a goddess herself, Eadin will know well enough each god has his cruel streak. He may get some bad luck from the Goddess of Luck, but he also has the protection of the daughter of the Sea God, and a goddess herself. And that's a valuable thing to have at sea. Maybe as important as luck.

And then there's the thing coming toward them.
    At first, she'd suspect it to be the Kraken, father's pet.
    But he would never approach her like this, and he dissapeared along with...
    No, this thing is hostile.
    "Captain! I think we're under attack." Eadin will try to use her power to slow the creature down, pushing a flow of water from under the creature to push it above the water. Get a better look.
    Above The Sea - Release the Krackle!!!!

The Captain darts out of his office to look over the side with much of the crew, a look of concern on his face. He and his crew seem to go a bit pale at the sight of the creature as it breaks the surface of the water with a roar. The beast Eadin sees is similar to a Kraken, but is instead made of a swirl of both dark brown and pale ooze-like white flesh. The mass of tentacles split apart and it opens it's mouth in a massive roar, revealing dozens of rows full of hundreds of glass like teeth. The creature is at least as large as the ship and gives off the most terrifying stench ever.

The stench of peppermint and death.

"It..it's the Krackle."
    Captain Blood whispers to himself before turning to the crew. "All hands to battle stations! Ready the spell cannon and cantrip shot!"

In Orbit

"Can't anyone tell me anything about where we're at?"

"Negative sir. It doesn't appear on any of the star charts. We're in a completely new system."

Listening to what his First Mate said, Captain Ika of the Dominion's Firebrand(Destroyer, Hellfire Pattern) looked out the viewing port to see the shifting colors and twisting starscape that existed in this place. It was like nothing he'd seen before. "And you're sure we're not in Side-Space still?"

"Positive, Sir."
    First Mate Jutax told him with a nod. "Not only is it not on the star charts, but we've lost contact with the rest of the floati-"

"Captain! This is Radar! We've reported a Peacekeeper Ship inbound. 7k Kilometers and closing! ETA 3 minutes and 15 seconds!"
    The crew member's voice snaps Captain Ika out of his sluggishness and he strides to his Command Throne. "Identify the Class and Pattern. Communications, alert all personnel to stations and all engines Ahead Full." His voice is steady, but his mind is in chaos. Lost in a foreign system, enemies inbound and it'd take at least three days for their Side-Space drive to cool off enough for another jump. Firebrand was the heaviest pattern for a Destroyer the Dominion had, but it still wasn't capable of taking on most ships alone. He looks up at the speakers when his commands are issued, but Radar's voice reaches out to him once more.

"Peacekeeper Battleship, Tranquility Pattern, sir."
    Radar tells him. "We've also picked up another pair of Side-Space signatures. Definitely Peacekeeper."

Captain Ika curses their luck. As fast as his ship was, the Tranquility Pattern was faster. It was something that would defy logic if not for the sheer stupidity of it's design and entire disregard of safeguards. The fanatical Peacekeepers were known to do such things and it resulted in better ships, even if 2 out of 3 blew up on their first mission out from the reroutes done to the drives.

Their stupidity and fanaticism was the reason they were winning The War for Sol.

"Navigation, reroute our vector to the nearest planet. We're making a break for it. Power, put all our power through to Engines. A hundred and thirty percent."

"A hundred and thirty?!?! Sir, it'll melt the en-"
    "THEN LET THE DAMN THINGS MELT, MAN!" Ika snaps at his subordinate When the command rings through the speakers and the ship suddenly jolts, he relaxes just a bit to look at the holo-charts in front of him. The first of the Peacekeeper ships had already closed half the distance and as the new data came in, it was followed by two more Tranquility Patterns. After a moment's thought, he shook his head. They weren't going to make it in time. The Captain flips command of the speaker system to his throne before giving more orders. "All gunner crews, damage control, and engineers are to be on standby. Prepare for hull damage." "-FOR HULL DAMAGE. He commands, the speakers echoing his voice.

Sitting back, there was nothing to do but exhaust themselves for their hunter...

When Ika woke, he knew he couldn't have been out for more than a few seconds at most. His head was ringing, klaxons wailed, and he could smell fried electronics. He couldn't hear it himself speak at first, but he figured someone else might. He shouted to Damage Control, to see what the situation was. He got his answer, but with his eyes watered, he had to ask for it again and again until finally he heard himself. "-at?!?" Ika shouted, shaking his head while gripping his throne to steady himself. "I said that we've lost all Prime engines, sir! As well as Starboard plasma turrets 1 and 4, Port plasma turrets 1 and 2. Hull breaches in sections J through M and the infirmary is gone!"

That left the dorsal missile bays untouched, but half the defensive turrets gone. As for the engines...only 4 were left of the nine. It wouldn't be enough to let them try and land on the planet's surface. Closest they could get now was within a few hundred kilometers and then launch life-pods. Taking one last look around the bridge, he retakes his seat, brushing the blood from his eyes. The initial salvo of missiles had punched through their thick hull, crippling them, but they were still alive. While it was fortunate that a Tranquility Pattern only had the one salvo, it just meant Firebrand was in for a slow death.

"Patch me through the comm."

"ALL UNNECESSARY CREW ARE TO GET TO THE LIFE PODS AND PREPARE FOR EVAC." At this, Gunner's Mate Jess snorted. "Well, there goes my last hope." She said, taking a deep breath of her cigar. Sure, it was against rules to do so on the ship, but using up a bit of extra oxygen in these final moments didn't amount to anything. Hearing a ping to station, she pulled up her holo-chart and started locking missiles onto the inclosing battleship. "Eat this you rotten bastards."

All around her, a hiss from hydraulics could be heard as missile pods opened up. They were solid warheads, non-explosive and while that sounded silly, adding any sort of explosive, fissionable or otherwise, would be utterly redundant at the speeds these missiles would travel.

Back on the bridge, Captain Ika smiled as the first of the three Tranquilities was hit and started tumbling. It was out for now. The damage wasn't too severe, but it gave them time to limp along. "Communications, page all hands to the escape pods before going yourself. I'll be along shortly." He says as he begins plotting an Auto-pilot course. His crew leaves quickly after doing as ordered and he stands once the computer accepts the command. He takes a moment to straighten and brush off his green tunic and hat before turning down to hallway and running towards the escape pods.

Halfway there, the ship suddenly rocks to the side, suffering another heavy impact, knocking Ika against the bulkhead with a curse. The Peacekeeper ship must have saved a missile or two. It wasn't long before another one hit, followed shortly by another. Steadying his heart, the Captain began to run to the nearest escape bay, but had to jump back when blast deals began to seal off the damaged area. The pods must have been hit as it was too soon for the computer to launch them.

"Computer! Are there any pods still accessible from my location?!?"
    He shouts into his comm piece as he steps over a badly burned body, stumbling through the hallway.

"TWO. PODS 9 AND 1-."
    For a moment, there's a burst of static. "ONE. POD 13. POD 9 HAS SUFFERED INTEGRITY LOSS."

Ika rushes towards his salvation and time seems to slow. Every step turns leaden under the stress. His ship and crew would likely be lost and marked MIA. Thousands of people would mourn their loss even as they hoped for their return. No one would ever know that they died in this god-forsaken system. Lost in thought, he didn't see a young ensign turn the corner in front of him. The two hit hard and sprawled to the floor even as the ship began turning onto it's side. A stabilizer must have been hit, but their course is still true with any luck. It's not like they could risk it now.

The Ensign under him crawls out, cursing before grabbing his arm and pulling him along. "C'mon, Cap'n!" She says, dragging him towards the life pod. Ika grumbles and gets on his two feet. It was in sight and empty, so he couldn't help but smile at her. Ensign Vencigad grins back, but it falls quickly when a new message comes over the system. "AUTO-PILOT FAILURE. MANUAL DRIVE NEEDED TO COMPLETE COURSE." Ensign Vencigad doesn't waste any time and begins drawing her sidearm. "Sorry Cap'n, but you're going on tha life boo-" The redhead's body collapses like a wet rag when Captain Ika slugs her jaw. "Apologies Edda..." he begs as he drags her onto the boat and straps her down. "But it's my ship."

Straightening his hat once more, he walks out of the life boat with his powerful stride and makes his way to the bridge as the boat's door seals shut behind him. There's a dull clank as it's locked, leaving the Captain no other choice.

A short while later, the Captain stands in front of his Throne on the Bridge, a glass of wine in one hand while the other's fingers play over the holo-charts, driving the ship and tweaking the thrusters to keep her from tumbling too badly. With a slight smile to himself, he takes a sip of his wine. "Know what we're missing, computer?"

"NEGATIVE."

Hitting enter on yet another command, the Captain begins steering Firebrand in an arc away from the planet. Only one life pod had launched, but one was enough. "Music. That's what we're missing. Turn on some Tchaikovsky for me."

The computer does so, and shortly after one final course adjustment, Captain Ika retakes his seat and raises his glass at the Peacekeeper vessel getting larger in the reinforced view port.

"Cheers."

Above the Grasslands

A fiery streak darts through the sky, coming in low and fast before suddenly slowing before making impact.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by orb_of_blood View Post
    [Lairan Dragon caverns]

“Good. Keep it that way.” He answers, not taking the blood-red eyes off Pyrus.

Now, as intimidating as the old dragon appears, he’s actually a rather docile creature. He doesn’t attack or snarl now that his niece is gone, but rather seems to age about a thousand years. Suddenly, he’s elderly, tired. He drops his head to his forepaws and sighs deeply.

“Did you want something of me, Little Human?”
    Pyrus looks up at the dragon timidly. He feared the dragon, but who wouldn't be afraid of a massive wyrm? He slowly adjusts his glasses before speaking slowly.Er...no Mr. Dragon sir...Kestrel just wanted me to introduce myself to you...I'm her friend...Kinda... He looks very nervous.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2012-05-06 at 07:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

[Gnoll battlefield]

Kale:
    (('Kay, I'm not sure if this counts as god-moding actually. If you think it sounds suspicious, try picking up something nearby with two hands and miming Kale's action, then see what you think. If you still don't like my interpretation, PM me and I'll change it. 'Kay?))

The elf charges.

Get ready, don't run... everyone is watching. This is your pack, not his.

As Kale hefts the pickaxe, Kordak spies his opening, and leaps.

At him this time.

As stated, Kordak was never much of a fighter. But it had always seemed to him that two-handed weapons, such as Kale's mithril pickaxe, were as dangerous for the user as the target. For as the elf reaches (either around or up) to swing, it leaves a patch of his midsection completely vulnerable. And it's that unguarded strip of soft flesh that he's aiming for.

If he catches him, then he's hoping the force of having a gnoll twice your weight slam into your stomach with two sets of outstretched claws, would be enough to completely ruin a charge.... or a pickaxe swing.

----

AM4
    Another howl of pain as AM4's punch shatters Kremiir's jaw, spattering blood all down the gnoll's crisp black cloak.

...That really can't be good for his spellcasting. I'd imagine the verbal component would be hard to add now.

Anger flashing in his eyes, he falls back on good old-fashioned predator weapons: teeth and claws. Usually, the mage considered himself far above such weapons, but something about hearing his muzzle crunch in that manner, the shooting pain across his entire face, tells him he really should be past caring about pride at a time like this.

Drawing back his paw and extending claws, he aims slash after frantic slash at the source of the popping noise from AM4's shoulder joint.

----

Marty:
    Satisfied that Marty had at least been pulled partly out of Death's clutches, Sleet turns back to watch the battle with mounting horror and worry.

I don't think there's much I can say for Marty at the moment. As long as he continues being non-threatening then the gnolls seem content to post a few guards and then completely ignore him. Which, in his condition, is probably good news.

Although, one does take notice of him. If he can feel it through the haze of pain, Grendar – who's slowly drowning in a pool of red – has been watching them for a few minutes now, and has not liked what he sees. “Human.” He wheezes, and Drift seems to shrink away. “I should kill you for such trouble.” Eh, probably don't need to mind him too much. The gnoll barely looks capable of standing.
    Thank-you Ceika so much for my awesome avatar!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Marty

Marty is now able to speak, though his breath is shallow and wheezy. He turns to Grendar and glares hatefully. You...*Cough* ...it was y-you...Grend*Cough*ar...You hurt her...little *Cough* Shada...y-you were why sh-she *Cough*couldn't l-love *Cough* me...y-you hurt her...her mind and b-body...you are a disgusting creature...You...you did it...your f-fault...n-not mine...not me... Marty coughs up some blood and looks down at the bit of bone poking out of his chest. Then to his mangled foot. You d-did this t-to me....I'm h-hurt...I can't breathe! I...I...I can't breathe...your f-fault...I'm n-not *Cough* guilty...I'm n-not *COUGH!* guilty...You! You Grendar....YOU HURT HER YOU ******! Marty yells with the last bit of his strength at the gnoll that took his love and hurt his body in a last show of cruelty against the poor half-elf. . Marty then starts to cry. Everything had been ruined...Everything he loved...
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2012-05-06 at 07:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnoll Encampment

((Nah. It's fine.))

Kale never even sees the attack coming until it's already happened, barely having a single time to think a single, uncreative profanity as Korlak slams into him claws first. What happens next is confusing flurry of blood and fur as the miner is tackled off his feet by the gnoll and presumably both are thrown to the ground....

But when it ends and the dust snow is settled, Kale is on the ground, in all likelihood trapped beneath the much larger gnoll, blood spilling from the deep tears across his stomach and torso where the claws struck. Not a good start to the fight. Especially as he's lost his pickaxe in the tumble, leaving him bleeding, momentarily dazed by disorientation, unarmed and locked in a grapple with a foe both larger than him and equipped by nature with deadly claws.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Above The Sea - Release the Krackle!!!!

The Captain darts out of his office to look over the side with much of the crew, a look of concern on his face. He and his crew seem to go a bit pale at the sight of the creature as it breaks the surface of the water with a roar. The beast Eadin sees is similar to a Kraken, but is instead made of a swirl of both dark brown and pale ooze-like white flesh. The mass of tentacles split apart and it opens it's mouth in a massive roar, revealing dozens of rows full of hundreds of glass like teeth. The creature is at least as large as the ship and gives off the most terrifying stench ever.

The stench of peppermint and death.

"It..it's the Krackle."
    Captain Blood whispers to himself before turning to the crew. "All hands to battle stations! Ready the spell cannon and cantrip shot!"
    Wow. The kraken was never Eadin's favourite out of all of Father's pets, so she's not happy when something similar and hostile is coming for them.

She barely manages to keep her breakfast where it belongs after smelling it's breath.
    "Eww..."

Right, time to do something..
    Eadin uses Freeze!
    As in, she'll try to freeze the water on and around the horror. Hoping to slow it down so the crew gets a good shot at it.

How will Enemy Krackle respond?
    Tune in next post to find out!
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Grasslands

The bees knew first. They were feeding on the clover when the pod crashed, killing some of their number, and starting a fire. The death of a hive member was not distressing, but so many deaths at once might mean danger to the Queen.

They didn't understand the event, but they had chosen a protector. They could send him to investigate.

The grass is damp enough that the fire is only smouldering a bit about an hour after the crash, when a boy and his dog arrive on the scene, following a bee.

My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #312

[Edge of a forest]

"This is it."

After following Magena's bloodtrail through the city, she along with Raril and Reinholdt arrive at the edge of the forest.

The forest looks like any other forest, though it's possible to sense the spirits that live here. Magena has talked about some of them, they are not hostile. They're a seemingly good vibe, like they are happy she is back.

The sun has just set and Magena is sniffing the air, trying to catch a scent of the ones that attacked her. No such luck for now.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of a forest]

Yay, the sun has set!

Reinholdt closes that stupid umbrella and hammerspaces it. Clunky piece of junk.

"This is the forest you live in, huh? It have a name?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of a Forest]

Raril looks suspiciously at Reinholdt and his umbrella, and Reinholdt might find it slightly uncomfortable to stand too near to the Drow. Seeing Magena start to sniff around, he begins to do the same, shifting his form a bit towards wolf to heighten his senses. He was focusing on scents that were out of place, steel, leather, oil. The sort of scents humans would bring into a place like this.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

15. - Top - End - #315

[Edge of a forest]

"We call it Uinta, pine forest." And indeed, the forest seems to consist of mostly pines. "Why you need that umbrella anyway?"

Both Raril and Magena pick up some faint trances burnt wood.
    "Might be a campfire not too far away." And into the forest she goes.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of a forest]

"I... don't like the sun all that much." Reinholdt says, shifting away from Raril. Things have always been awkward around Raril really.

But he'll follow along after Magena, unusually stealthy for a humanoid.
    And completely lacking any scent. That's rather unusual.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

"I smell it too." Raril follows, being careful where he places his feet. Hopefully the pine needles would muffle his footsteps. Though, a drow knew how to move quietly when he needed to. As he walks, he slips his crossbow off of his back and loads a bolt. Raril expected some opposition, and he wanted to be able to strike first.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #318

[Forest (because they're not longer at the edge )]

"What's not to like about the sun?" Magena finds this all very weird. Not to mention him not having a scent. But that's something for later.

The girl doesn't seem to have any trouble moving quick and soundless through the forest.
    "No worries, no animal will harm us here." She tells Raril as she seem him grab his bow. But he's probably not worried about animals.

They'll eventually come across an abandoned campsite. Magena morphs into wolf form to analyse the scents in more detail.
    "There's a faint trace of human scent, but something else too."

She morphs back, a frown on her face. "Smells human, but not quite. And not like my pack" She says.

Anyone sensitive to it might pick up whisps of dark forces. Very faint.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

"It's too bright." That's about it really.

Reinholdt unslings his rifle, getting it ready. He might have been able to sense the dark forces, but they're too faint, and he's too new at this. He just feels a tad uneasy instead.

"You may want to stay back and let us take it from here." Reinholdt suggests, looking up for a decent place to climb into the trees and set up a possible sniping position.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #320

((I want to apologize to the people in the Thess siege plot, it really spiraled out of my control and I can't seem to upkeep it anymore. So what I'll do is give a wrap up. Feel free to add your own post showing how the event ended for your PC(s). It was fun, sorry I dropped the ball.

If you need me to play an NPC to wrap up one of your scenes please just ask.))

[Thessaloniki]

The city fell.

It was... inevitable, really.

Once the barrier was down there just wasn't any chance.

The Governor was killed and his body smuggled away by those sympathetic to him, much to the chagrin of the Legion.

The Wyvern at the bath-house was slain by Wendy and his companion after a fierce battle!

The Slaanesh mercs fight with Wyvern 16 ended when the beast detonated a potent flashbang and escaped.

Dipsnig's mission was a success, throwing a great deal of confusion into the enemy forces and allowing at least some of the people from the Palace to escape.

Once the city was secured Wyvern 80 was collected for to be taken back to the capital. Both she and Sammy tried to get the other to come with them.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 05:50 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's not going to be pretty." Raril agrees, mostly for Magena's benefit. The drow still held an opinion that killing was an artform. "And I suggest silence when we get closer. Try not to shoot me, Rein. Zee likes it best when I'm not full of holes." He says with a grin.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

22. - Top - End - #322

((Just FYI, this is my first attempt at some sort of plot. I hope it won't suck too much ><))

[Forest]

Magena shifts back into wolf form. She has some claws and teeth to protect her this way.

They have a scent now, so they know where to go.
    She examines some tracks. "Humanoid, for sure. Smells like it too. But there's something else and I can't figure out wha..."
    A moment of quiet.
    "It's far too quiet here."

And it really is.
    There's no leaves rustling in the wind, or nocturnal animals scuffling around, no insects, or birds. Nothing.

And then the faint coppery smell of blood reaches her nose (and probably Raril's too)
    "Uh oh."
    Last edited by Eadin; 2012-05-07 at 05:44 PM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

The Fall of Thessoloniki

Vita continued to pray, but there was little that Vesta could do here. She was the goddess of hearth and home and family. War was not her domain.

The palace gates were breached with surprising speed. Either Nexus superpowers were involved, or there was treachery. Possibly both. Felis's eyes were elsewhere, and so Vita could not know.

His mind was with her though. When the first of the Legionnaires broke in and cut down the high priest in front of her, he saw it too. Vita, get out! They won't bother pursuing - You aren't their target. Flee the room, change into servant's clothes, and get out of the palace. We'll find you.

I can't leave my Uncle!
    She pulled a small gun out of a fold in her robes and fired at the first Legionnaire.

She missed him, but hit the one next to him - and the impact was absorbed by the soldier's armour. She fired again, missing completely, and then a bullet hit her in the gut. She screamed as she fell to her knees, dropping the gun and curling over her wound.

Elsewhere in the city, Felis suddenly called out "Vita! No! We're coming!" As he ran, he held an arm hugged close around his waist, as if protecting a wound.

"You fool! She's a Vestalis!"
    Octavius thundered, moving between his niece and the soldiers with his vibroblade drawn.

The Legionnaire who had fired the bullet looked ashen, as the penalty for harming a Vestal Virgin was death by scourging. But his commander had better information. "Vita Octavia never completed the consecration. She is entitled to no special treatment."

Octavius turned his blade towards himself, and met the eyes of the commander. "I know you want me alive. Give me your word that she will have full indemnity and healing and be conveyed safely to the Temple of Vesta and I will surrender."

"Did she take part in the rebellion?"

"She did nothing but tend the hearth and obey me in all things. I swear by Vulcan, she is innocent of my folly."

"Then you have my word, as an officer of the Imperium. It will be as you say. I will see to her protection personally."

Octavius knelt and offered his blade.

Vita - no! Don't do it! You can't save him!

Felis's warning was heard, but unheeded. The first bewildering flash of pain had receded, and all Vita could think was that she was about to lose her Uncle, the only father she had ever known. Her fingers reached for the pouch she had kept at her side since leaving the temple - a pouch of sacred ash.

Her home and family was in danger. Perhaps Vesta was not completely powerless.

The pouch exploded into flame in her hands, ignited by Vesta herself, perhaps with Vulcan's help, and Vita lunged forward, pushing her flaming hand into the face of the Centurion who was reaching for her Uncle's blade.

There was screaming - the Centurion's and her own. Another soldier reached down to try and smother the flames, and Vita pushed her away, setting the soldier's own armor on fire. The pain in her hand was beyond belief. The pain from the bullet faded into nothing in comparison. Vita got to her feet, ready to advance on the soldiers and burn them all, but something was holding her back. Yes, her Uncle had his arms around her, trying to turn her, to shield her.

And then his weight was pushing her down. "... the best of daughters" were his last words, and with his death, the flame on her hand finally went out.

Vita didn't learn the rest of the story until later. While the room was still in confusion, Felis and the so-called Virtues of Slaanesh had broken in through a secret entrance. With the Centurion dying and several other soldiers seriously burnt, they had taken advantage of their surprise entrance to snatch Vita and the body of Octavius and flee. The flight from the city had been perilous, but the gods had granted them a second boon. A new fissure vent had been opened - no doubt through some of the explosives of the Nexus superheroes - and Charlotte had used her abilities to lower the body of their uncle to the lava within. His body was returned to Vulcan, and could never be desecrated or displayed by the Imperium.

"I didn't know the right words," Felis said. "I knew you did, but we weren't even sure if you would live. We couldn't wait for you."

His tears were bitter, full of shame and loss, and Vita put her arms around him, wincing when her bandaged hand was touched. "You did the right thing. If you had been taken..."

If he had been captured, they would have punished him in proxy for Octavius, and would have found evidence enough that he was heavily involved in the rebellion. "I wasn't even hurt," Felis said. "You mustn't worry about me. You're the one who is injured."

"We can never go home again,"
    Vita said. This was another sadness, though a lesser one to the loss of their Uncle. "We'll be proscribed there for the rest of our lives."

"We will." Felis replied. "But we're together. We can start over with that."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

Reinholdt was in the middle of coming up with a witty retort to Raril, when the smell of blood catches up. If there's anything Rein can smell right now, it's blood.

It makes him... twitchy.

"There might not be anything to do. Agree with Raril. Silence time." Rein says as he starts moving hurriedly towards the smell of blood.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

"Let's move." Raril growls out and stalks forward. He was ready to face whatever threat there was head on. As he move, the drow becomes more and more wolflike, settling on a hybrid of wolf and drow.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Above The Sea

The Krackle begins to slow down, but it keeps pace with the ship and within it's mouth, Eadin will see humanoid shapes begin crawling out of it. They appear as fishmen, but with a slick brown ooze for skin.

The Fudgemen.

The pirates begin picking them off with some small arms, but there's dozens of them and the distance is a bit too great for them to aim very well. Even so, Eadin will see great shimmering cannons being raised to the deck, etched in images of demons, women, heroes and beasts that seem to shift with every passing glance. The men and women who man them are blindfolded. The Captain himself takes aim over the rail and fires off one of his several flintlock pistols. The shot turns into a flash of lightning that fries several of the Fudgemen. The Krackle tries to roar, and even though it is too cold to do so, it lets out a spray from the top of its head, connecting with the bottom of the vessel and holding it still.

Crash Site

Cole will find the ship sealed when he arrives, but there's an emergency hatch that can easily be opened. No sounds come from within however, making it impossible to know if someone is alive or not.

Forest

The group will smell animal blood, canine, and the scent of thick cut foliage before a green creature leaps out of the foliage next to them with a growl. It appears to be a dog, but his hide is dark brown and green, and his ears are replaced by twin Birds-Of-Paradise flowers. Along his spine is a line of leaves growing up towards his head.

There's a great gash on his side, oozing green blood. The dog gives the group a series of loud barks, a warning instead of a challenge, and hopes they'll understand.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-05-07 at 07:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

Above the sea

Well, girl does like her sweets.
    If she can get a good view she'll use her water-controlling power to remove the liquid from their fugdey bodies.

The cannons are...pretty.. but she snaps back to look at the Krackle.
    She'll try to freeze the spray into a giant block of ice.
    That might give the creep a headache.

[Forest]

Whew, it's a sort of dog.
    That's better than whatever Magena had feared.

She'll respond to the creature with barks indicating they do not wish to harm it. Another few barks to offer help with the wound.
    She turns back human and looks around for some leaves to heal the wound.
    "It doesn't want to hurt us, it's just scared", she'll tell the others.
    "Poor thing, I've never seen one like it before."
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Crash Site

Cole will find the ship sealed when he arrives, but there's an emergency hatch that can easily be opened. No sounds come from within however, making it impossible to know if someone is alive or not.
    Poor low-tech Cole wouldn't know how to recognize an emergency hatch. But he can sense there is someone alive inside. If there are written or pictoral instructions on how to open the hatch, then he'll follow them. Otherwise, he'll poke around the pod at random for about a half hour, or until he manages to do something - whichever comes first.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

Raril sighs and relaxes a bit. It was a strange looking thing, but he was used to that. It was the Nexus after all.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

((I'm suddenly very confused about who's running this plot. ))

Reinholdt stops moving and steps to one side to give Magena room to work.
    "Looks like a plant hybrid. Like one of those topiary creatures." From a book that is frequently unused.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast