New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

Alec slides his change back to Grimfist. "I'll go ahead and rent my room for two nights," he says. And then, feeling excited again, he grabs his bread to chew on and walks around the bar to follow his host. He hopes they aren't just going to look at crab, although he can still use the opportunity to ask some questions even if he and the dwarf aren't thinking along the same lines already. A bite of crust hides his grin; he asked his god for guidance, and he just might be about to get some.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

Glaffin considers the amount set before him, and the alchemists' words. Being treated with such respect and having your services be always required would probably be nice, yes.

"Say enough for twenty small vials. With luck, I can sell some to the tanners when I get to Stormgate. For that, you'd have the recipe for the hearthfire from me gladly."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    "[COLOR="Red"]She shifts her attention to Indrys, looking faintly amused. "Oh, you find the laid back types everywhere, though I'd expect it to be less common around here. Not when you have to work hard to make a living after all."
    He nods, and offers her a small smile. "I'm learning that," he says. "Everywhere I look, the people here are hurrying about, in a great hustling and bustling." He looks down at the counter and draws a spiral on the varnished wood. There is a silence that stretches towards the breaking point of uncomfortable before he speaks again. "I'm sorry," he says. "I should have been helping with the caravan today, and I did not." He stares at the counter. "I will do better," he concludes.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily gives Alec and Adrian a waves as they enter. "That's a tavern for you. I wonder if Glaffin will be coming."

She's distracted from that thought by Indrys. "It's nothing to worry about." She assures him. "I'm sure you'll find plenty to do in the future to make up for it." She gives him a wink and laughs shortly.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

"I should have enough here," Iskandar said, looking at the small pile of collected ingredients. He turned to his desk full of equipment, shuffling a few of the bottles around. "Let me measure it out for you. I've got a set of scales here somewhere..."

The elf found what he was looking for after a moment, carefully weighing what he could and re-bottling what he couldn't. He was efficient at it, at least. Despite his choice of location, the alchemist knew what he was doing.

"There," he said at last, removing the last of the items from the scale and pushing it over to the little pile that had accumulated. The rest of it got put back on the shelves. "That'll be yours, if you could write the recipe down for me on a bit of parchment."

"Two nights it is," The innkeeper agreed, stomping heavily down the stairs behind the bar. They looked, as far as Alec could tell, like they led to a cellar of some sort, under the bar. The walls were still made of stone, and the floor of wood, but it smelled earthier downstairs. There was a barrel in one corner full to the brim with water, its rim encrusted with salt deposits. Along one wall was a metal holding tank with a thick pane of glass along the front. Inside, crabs were scuttling about, climbing over each other and trying to reach the top.

"So," said Grimfist, turning around and folding his arms across his chest. "What's your game, then?"
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-11-14 at 01:36 PM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #486

Lizardfolk

Folded arms: a defensive posture. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean he's antagonistic. He seems calm enough. Wariness is a wise approach now, regardless of what he does or does not believe.

"The long-term welfare of this village," Alec answers casually. He means it, too, in his own way. "And crabs."

The pirate looks to them, although he doesn't fully turn his back on Grimfist; he doesn't want to tempt him. After rolling up one sleeve to his shoulder, Alec reaches into the tank, all the way to the bottom. The stronger crabs that've climbed their fellows are safe from him; instead, he grabs a slower, weaker specimen by one pincer and lifts it from the water.

It's poor eating. But a nice illustration.

"What's your game?" he asks in return, the crab dangling from his fingers.

~ Sophistemon

7. - Top - End - #487

Glaffin asks for an ink well and some parchment then, and if he receives them he'll scribble down the few ingredients and steps required for the recipe. It was so easy to make that he managed to get a batch together while the caravan was approaching the town, it was just a matter of knowing which substances would glow when mixed together, let set, and covered with water. Hopefully his fellow alchemist will be able to find an ample supply of them in this town, as Glaffin doesn't have much to spare if he's going to make more for Alec. He does go fishing into his pack and removing a few small samples of the powdered stones and dried plants that make up the hearthfire, not enough to make a significant dent in his stores or make up a batch for Iskandar, but enough that the elf will know what they look like if he didn't already.

"There you go. Ingredients, instructions, and some samples so you know what to look for. It's mixed cold, and if it doesn't gel properly once set then you've not stirred it enough. After a batch or two I'm sure you'll get the hang of it." He glances to the stock of ingredients for the acid, judging it to be enough for his purposes.

"I believe that makes us square."
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

"It does indeed, thank you." Iskandar took the parchment, reading over the list of ingredients and nodding to himself. Folding it, he tucked the scrap away in one of his pockets. "I don't think I have all of this right now, unfortunately. I'll have to see if I can order some for next time your caravan is through."

The elf looked up at Glaffin, then began to store his equipment. "Would it be possible to arrange that?"

"You shouldn't pick it up like that," Grimfist said, pointing at the crab with one finger, and a moment later Alec found out why. The crab was none too pleased at being picked up, and it still had one claw free. It fastened onto one of the fingers holding it, clamping down with its pincer. Grimfist chuckled to himself as the startled pirate dropped the crab, and it started scuttling away across the floor, waving its claws in the air to ward off further attack.

"As for me, I run an Inn. All there is to that." That, Alec thought, wasn't quite true. It was the way the dwarf had said it. He was hiding something, though it could just be that the rumours were true, and he didn't want to say so.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #489

Glaffin considers it, "I'm sure Tallhelm would be happy to know he had a buyer for such things whenever he came into town, so even if I'm not with him on the next trip around the circuit, I'll let him know what your needs are and sell off to him what I can in the way of ingredients so that he can pass them off to you. If I am there with him, I'll almost certainly have plenty to sell to you. They aren't exactly rare if you know where to look."

10. - Top - End - #490

Lizardfolk

"And I'm a merchant," he agrees dryly, sucking on the red mark on his finger. He doesn't seem frustrated, but rather smiles as the crab escapes.

"It's earned its freedom, at least from me," Alec comments. "Successfully defending yourself is better than trying and failing, but I prefer both to cowardice. Not that I'm too fond of those who care about survival and nothing else. A safe life is a bland life. Still, I can tolerate an old man looking for peace in his twilight years better than I can people who lived their entire lives that way. Potential can rot just like unused muscles. Your alchemist, for example. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression he's largely cloistered himself in his brick building and neglected to put his skills to real use, other than perhaps selling baubles to the town. I didn't see any of his bottles in the jail, or any towers with alchemic weapons on the outskirts, ready to defend Seabreak. The bandits I helped kill weren't using stolen acids or fires; all they had was antivenom. Seems to me that the alchemist either doesn't have many toys, or lets them all gather dust in his lab. That kind of behavior is a real shame."

Translation: if you're telling the truth about yourself, then I think you're wasting your life, but Iskandar looks to be wasting his more. Confirm or deny.

~ Sophistemon

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

"I would appreciate that." Iskandar looked around for anything he might have neglected to put away. Failing to find anything, he shrugged and took a step towards the door. "I should be getting back to my family, if there's nothing more you'd like to buy. Have a good night."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Glaffin does have something else to say, Iskandar will wait. If not, he'll see Glaffin out and lock the laboratory before leaving.

"Iskandar? Good alchemist, but not much for making weapons. Mostly he supplies lamp oil and salt, or the occassional party trick." Grimfist watched the crab scuttle under a low table before stomping over and reaching down to pick it up. Grabbing it by the back of the shell, he tossed it back into the tank, claws waving the whole way. "Smart crabs are still in the ocean. These were the ones stupid enough to get caught and not escape."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #492

Lizardfolk

Alec can't argue with that. He watches the dwarf with some measure of approval.

"Seems like he should put his talents to better use, then. Not all life is war, but those bandits were left alone for too long. And he could bring all sorts of improvements to this town if he made the most of his skills, I'm sure."

Even so, Alec isn't so set on Iskandar that he won't listen to other options. "But what do I know? I've been here less than a day. You, though, have had plenty of time to see the crabs that'd get netted if a fisher came along. Maybe you could give me a name or two."

Grimfist might use this opportunity to rid himself of a rival, Alec knows, but he isn't opposed to the idea. Mutual benefit suits him fairly well, and besides, it'd be a sign of Grimfist's intelligence. The Laughing God would surely smile.

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #493

Glaffin bids Iskandar a fond farewell as he packs the ingredients and slips out, looking around the town's square blearily as his eyes adjust to the dimness of the failing day. He felt... restless.

He looks across at the inn for a moment, remembering his plan to offer a cube or two to the proprietor. There really wouldn't be much point to it, would there? Iskandar had the recipe now, and Glaffin had done well enough for himself today that another few silvers wasn't going to make him much wealthier. So instead, the dwarf turns his eyes to the blacksmiths, and his feet naturally follow.

When he arrives there, he listens for any telltale signs of work being done. If the smith hadn't abandoned his forge for the night already, it's possible Glaffin could get a start on those promised tools and work off some of this energy all at once. It's not like he's particularly tired, and this wouldn't be the first time he'd worked through a night.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

"There you are!" Glaffin will find himself stopped by Laelaer as he walks towards the smithy. "What the hell was that thing you summoned earlier? A godsdamned scorpion? How, exactly, was that a part of our battle with the bandits?" The drowess demands.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

15. - Top - End - #495

Glaffin stops cold, sighing and rubbing the bridge of his nose as Laelaer berates him, "I suppose I could have gone with something else, but it was the most threatening thing I could think of that I thought you three could handle easily. And it wasn't summoned, it was created. Altogether it was just ice that moved around how I directed it to. Wasn't meant to have anything to do with the fight, just impress people with your skills." The dwarf rocks back on his heels as he responds, coughing slightly into his hand.

"From what Indrys made of your skills with magic, I thought you'd be more accustomed to such displays. My apologies if it startled you."

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have no problem with your magic, Glaffin." Laelaer says cooly. "But making yourself out to be some dark enemy from the depths? It was sudden and out of character. I do not believe it was wise, and suggest you avoid such declarations in the future."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

17. - Top - End - #497

The dwarf shakes his head with a slow smile, "I'd take them thinking worse of me for such a display over them judging you for your skin any day. I'm old and thick skinned for a dwarf my age, you don't have to worry about me and my feelings if a few folks give me the evil eye." He doesn't go so far as to chuckle at her reprimand, but he's got a weary sort of amusement in his features.

"I've work to get to in the smithy if I want to be done before Tallhelm decides he's milked the town dry and wants to ship off. If you'd like to continue telling me how unwise and out of character I'm being, feel free to join me. Otherwise, I suggest you get some rest and a good meal into you. After our troubles yesterday, you could probably use one."

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

The drowess gives the dwarf an odd look, but then slowly nods in appreciation. She won't go as far as to say 'thank you,' however. "You are right. I will see what the tavern has to offer. Perhaps they will have something worth eating. May your work be produtive, and hopefully profitable!" She adds with a laugh, trying to show there were no hard feelings here.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

19. - Top - End - #499

"It will profit as much as the blacksmith can pay, and I'll have a place to work should we ever stop back here because of my deal with him. Thank you, though, for your concern. You did manage to put on quite the impressive display yourself." He continues walking towards the smithy, but stops to say, "Take care." before knocking on the door.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

"Not a lot of war here at all. The bandits, well, maybe the townsfolk didn't like the idea of leaving their homes and running through the hills looking for a load of armed thieves. Can't say that sounds like the most solid plan to me, either." Grimfist shrugged, looking over at the stairs. "Me, I woulda led 'em out in wagons. Set up something that looks like easy pickings. Then, when they come for it, you've got 'em dead. I'm not in charge, though."

Looking back at Alec, the dwarf cocked his head to one side. "What, exactly, you got in mind?"

The forge was silent, but not deserted. Glaffin's knock was rewarded, after a moment of waiting, with an open door and a surprised-looking smith. "Hello again," he said. "I was about to close up for the night. What can I do for you?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #501

Lizardfolk

Alec doesn't answer immediately; he's beginning to regret being this open. Not that he's told Grimfist everything, but if the dwarf was to dislike his plans, he could easily make trouble for Alec. He could go to the mayor, or Captain Danvers, or Tallhelm, or take matters into his own hands. Alec doesn't believe he's so likeable that the townspeople would take his word over an established member of the community. At the very least, it'd make his work much more difficult.

So, for the moment, he sidesteps the question. A better idea is coming to him anyway. "...What if you were in charge? Perhaps not openly. Even in a small village like this, day-to-day management is more trouble than it's worth unless you're the ruling type. But you could be a voice that never goes unheard when you care to speak, a key adviser to Mayor Martin, Captain Danvers, and all the rest. I'm sure you could find ways to personally profit from it, clever as you seem. Both you and the town would benefit. All you'd require would be the chance to show your intelligence. Once everyone sees how capable you are in tight situations, they'd listen to you in the future."

This might be perfect. If Alec can convince Grimfist to step up, and sets the stage for him to shine, he'd be forced out of his relatively lazy life and Seabreak would have a guiding hand after Alec leaves.

He just needs to find the right net to catch this shiny gold fish. Everyone has their price, as the saying goes.

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #502

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post

The forge was silent, but not deserted. Glaffin's knock was rewarded, after a moment of waiting, with an open door and a surprised-looking smith. "Hello again," he said. "I was about to close up for the night. What can I do for you?"
    "You can bank the coals for me and let me have a run at your forge. It slipped my mind just how much work making a set of these tools is, and if I don't work through the night I won't have it done timely enough for my liking. Besides, I'm not really in the right state to sleep tonight." Glaffin's got a strange look in his eye as he talks, craning his neck to the side and getting a sharp pop as his neck cracks for his efforts.

"I just hope the folks around here are used to some loud noises during the night." The dwarf adds with a smile. He's near to the point where he'd be twitching his fingers and trying to push past the smith if he was any less composed.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

"Funny thing about that. Normally it's me doing the listening. People talk, to a bartender. I was in charge, maybe they wouldn't talk so much. Less likely to say something, if they think you're part of the problem." Reaching into the tank, Grimfist selected a large crab. He pulled it up by the back, the creature's claws snapping ineffectually.

"It were me, I'd eat this one. Big enough to have a good amount of meat in the legs and claws." He raised his one good eyebrow at Alec, appraisingly. "Not everything ought to be tested. Crabs is just crabs, and the biggest ones make the best prizes."

"Well, alright. I don't do much work at night myself, but I don't think you'll bother anyone much, if they know the source of the noise. Long day will tire people out." Opening the door wider, Axel invited Glaffin in. The forge was much the same as before, though now it was darker, most of the lights extinguished and the coals cooling down. The tools had all been put away on hooks or shelves.

"I trust you're able to find your way around thinks yourself, once you get going? You might be used to it, but I'm getting tired."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #504

Lizardfolk

They might not find common ground on that last item (well, second to last; he does like large crabs). Alec still prepares to make another try, probably his last; Grimfist doesn't seem like one to be swayed by repeated pestering, and Alec would see it as a waste of his own time as well.

"I'll take it. And what's your prize? Information? I can understand that. All the same, I don't agree with your reasoning. Seems to me that the people here would be even more likely to tell you their secrets and troubles if they thought you could offer wise advice. I'm surprised they trust you already, based on the rumors I've heard after only being here half a day. Maybe those aren't widespread, but I could help you squash them all the same. Let me make a scenario where you show everyone that you have experience and intuition that this town needs. You can build on your new reputation for years to come--for generations to come, given how long dwarves live. Ignore frivolous questions as you like, pass on advice that forges Seabreak into something better than a sleepy little blip on the map, and listen to all you hear, as you've apparently always done. Martin and Danvers can take the criticism for implementing unpopular decisions; that's the price of open rulership. You'd merely be the whisper in their ears. In everyone's ears."

Spoiler
    Show

Lately I find myself wishing the d20 system had Fate Points. ^_^" They're worth their (nonexistent) weight in gold when you really want to succeed on something.

Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[10]

~ Sophistemon

25. - Top - End - #505

"I'm not as used to working through the night as you'd think, but there's nothing for it but to get working. You get yourself some rest though, the work's fine enough that I won't need a striker for the hot bits, and the rest is nearly all grinding to precision and heat hardening. So long as you've got enough slack left in the tank I should be fine for everything I need." He peers around for the metal blanks he'll need to start making tools while he unrolls his own set. Using fine tools to make fine tools, there's an odd sort of symmetry in that that appeals to him.

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    She's distracted from that thought by Indrys. "It's nothing to worry about." She assures him. "I'm sure you'll find plenty to do in the future to make up for it." She gives him a wink and laughs shortly.
    He nods, pleased with her response. The world outside his Enclave had proven to be quite forgiving of his shortcomings. If it hadn't brutally murdered his family and stolen his fortune away, he might even like it out here. C'est la vie. He sighs, contented, and looks at her askance. "If you have the time," he begins, "I would like to hear more about you. Where you came from, why you joined the caravan, things of that nature." His eyes widen slightly as he realizes the possible faux pas (he himself is unwilling to discuss too deeply about his own past, and his reasons for joining the caravan would have him thrown in prison and likely executed) and he is quick to amend himself. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to pry. I'm simply curious. You can... of course, you can feel free to disregard me."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, that's completely fine. I don't mind at all." Cecily says with a smile for him. "I actually grew up in Castlegard. Quite a ways east of here on the West coast, if you're not familiar with it. I was actually born into a bit of wealth, but well, fortunes have a way of turning on a person. I lost it all and I don't have any family to speak of. It was a bit of a struggle for a time, but I've managed to get my life mostly in order since then. I ended up doing quite a bit of traveling after that. Mostly to see the world. Caravans just happened to be the best way to do that and make some coin at the same time." She pauses to see if he wants to ask anything more specific.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. Maybe here. Suppose I'm too used to... well, too used to people who keep a tight lip. Not surprised you've heard rumours, but most nobody actually believes those. Suits me fine." Taking the crab in hand, Grimfist walked over to one of the tables and took a large cleaver out of a drawer.

"Seabreak used to be less than a blip on the map. Maybe you've heard the inn's the oldest building in town? I won't claim I built it here, but I turned it into what it is. This was just a roadside stop, not so long ago." Raising the cleaver over his head, the dwarf brought it down with a thunk, neatly bisecting the crab. He cleaned the large knife on a rag, clipped it to his belt, and started towards the stairs.

"You spoke of fish, and nets, and you look like a sailor. Where'd you learn?"

"Should be enough." Axel yawned, gesturing at the forge. "You can use whatever materials you need. Charcoal's in a sack in that cupboard there. I'll leave you to it."

The town's blacksmith was tired, and it showed. He made his way out, leaving Glaffin alone with a slowly heating forge.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Think we're almost done, here. Stop me if I'm wrong. But once Alec, Cecily and Indrys have finished talking, I think we can move on? Two day rule WILL be enforced, here. After two days, if nothing happens, I'll move it along regardless.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

29. - Top - End - #509

Lizardfolk

"In the north and in the south. In the east and in the west. In my waking hours and in my dreams." Alec isn't in the mood to tell his life's story to this dwarf, especially since he's trusting Grimfist less and less. He should've waited longer before having this conversation, learned more of him both at a distance and through more innocent conversation, but he has so little time. Just tomorrow and then Seabreak will be beyond his reach unless he stays behind, which he won't. This village isn't worth leaving the caravan, not when it can so easily carry him on to greater prizes.

Alec follows him back to the steps. "Yes or no?" he asks. "You've built this town up already; will you do so again? Or are you content with what you see around you?"

Loktar, if he won't help me, at least keep him out of my way. I don't want to see which of us can kill the other. He'd be a great test, sure, but even if he doesn't believe, he still has a better grasp of your way than anyone else here. Whichever of us won, you'd be short a servant.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I'm ready to finish up this conversation. After that, I have something brief to discuss with Ghar, but I think we can make that happen pretty quickly. Then I'll be fine with summarizing the rest of the night and starting the next morning.

~ Sophistemon

30. - Top - End - #510

When Cecily pauses, she'll notice that Indrys is looking at her with a strange expression on his face, one during which the muscles of his mouth have gone slack and his eyes appear to be staring far away, as though he's looking through her. He snaps out of it after only a moment and his eyes re-focus on hers. "That's... remarkable," he says, and then shakes his head. "No, I mean that it's terrible, what happened to you. You have my condolences." He clears his throat and flashes a weary smile. "I'm sorry. I was just a bit shocked. You see... I believe that we share very similar origins." He chuckles, which trails off towards the end into a sigh, afterwhich he looks down at the bar. "I'm envious. You appear to be quite a bit more well adjusted than I am. I think that I'm still more than a little shaken up about it."