Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 1167
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    When his knife goes magically flying off into the air without even a polite goodbye, Alec can only blink, almost mesmerized. Then he gets a sharp hit on his other wrist (Thorus is taking this a bit more seriously than he'd like, but he he's at least glad the man's interested. And besides, bruises do build character). In a more heated scenario, he'd stubbornly keep his grip, but between the lightheartedness of this business and the surprise Laelaer gave him, Alec lets his short sword clatter to the cobblestone.

    A grin splits his thick beard in half. Both his hands, one of them already turning red, shoot up in the air. "I surrender!" he shouts with mock-terror. Twisting from one side to the other to carry his words to the crowd, he adds, "The caravan wins the day again!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    You're up, Slii.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Alec and Laelaer hadn't quite hit their stride yet, and it showed. Alec's mis-step drew a laugh, and the people milling around were still watching, but didn't seem quite sure how to take the rest of the show. The mayor was chuckling to himself, mostly at Tallhelm's expense, but at least they still had an audience.

    One that included the two half-elves by the wagon. Looking relieved that there wasn't an actual fight, the man turned back to Glaffin, while the girl went to find a better vantage point. Now that he knew it was a playfight, he was full of questions, and Glaffin happened to be close enough to ask. "D'you know him, then? We don't get a lot of shows around here. Will there be magic? Dad says what he does isn't real magic, and Father Gilbert won't show me any."
    Glaffin waits until Alec is disarmed before he answers, leaning back against the wagon, "Well, it was possible for Laelaer there to want to show off some of her magic, but it doesn't look like it lasted long enough for that. Suppose it's up to me to fix that though. Might want to stand back for a moment there fellow."

    Glaffin straightens himself and begins humming that same tuneless litany for a moment, getting the proper tones straightened away in his head. Then he coughs and raises his voice to the three players in this little drama, casting his arms about dramatically, "An admirable showing from the brave and mighty defenders of the caravan, but the bumbling nature of your foe removes any sense of danger from the equation! What you need is a true villain, a vile creature that knows no fear or remorse, conjured from the black and frozen depths of my cold, foreign heart. Behold!" With that oddly prosaic speech out of the way, Glaffin begins chanting in earnest, gesticulating wildly and curling his fingers into wicked, unnatural claws.

    From a cloud of spiraling mist a threatening beast emerges, cast from harsh crystalline ice that reflects and twists the mid-day sun like a massive diamond. Its claws clack threateningly as it arches its tail towards the trio, emitting a series of minor cracks and tinkles that bring to mind a spring thaw on a riverbank. The nearly four foot long ice scorpion makes no other sounds, but begins scuttling towards the crowd that stands between it and its quarry, the brave caravan defenders.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright folks, roll initiative to beat on the scorpion and whatnot! I'm changing its special attack to Engulf just to make it extra non-threatening, just in case Destro decides he wants to take control of it and toast some peasants to get us in trouble. Unless he says otherwise, I'll just control the thing directly for the fight.

    Bug's Init: (1d20)[4]
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Slowly, Alec's hands drop, as does his lower jaw. He doesn't understand magic, but this seems well beyond what he'd have even guessed at. Creating something from nothing, giving it form and apparently even will--that's got to be the purview of gods. Glaffin just created life, impossible life at that, presumably just to add to the crowd's thrill. Suddenly Alec is far more worried about the dwarf than he was the night before.

    He turns the rest of the way so he can face the monster. His knees and hands move as slowly as they did before, this time crouching so he can pick up his sword; his other arm reaches behind him for Laelaer. "My knife, please," he breathes quietly. He holds his arm in the same position even when he has his weapon back until the presumably-frightened townspeople hurry out of the scorpion's path. Once he has a clear shot, he swings his shoulder to send the dagger whirling through the air. Far better to test this monster at a distance before he dares to get close to that tail.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I'm mostly delaying my initiative until the crowd parts, which they'll hopefully do in short order. If the scorpion is coming at them, I can't see many people standing in its path. As for actions, picking something up is his Move and flinging the dagger is his Standard (I'm not sure what kind of distances we're working with, so he might take a penalty for range). Hopefully Destro will be kind and let Laelaer pass him his weapon as a semi-free action.

    Initiative: (1d20+6)[21]

    Knife Throw: (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Artemis97's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lost in the Town
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Laelaer hands Alec the dagger then asked, dropping her aggressive stance against him and shifting her attention to their newly summoned foe. There was a frown onher face. Although she was sure Glaffin was just as bored as the rest of them, this seemed over the top. Needlessly dangerous. 'Cold foreign heart'? was he trying to turn the townsfolk against him?

    The drowess sends her sword through a complicated whirling motion, meant to be showy. Bright flames, shimmering in deep ruby red and glowing gold, appear on the blade. Those familiar with such things would recognize it as a simple use of Faerie Fire. Harmless, but it sure looked good.

    After Alec threw his knife, with the path clear, Laelaer advances on the Scorpion, opening with a sudden quick step and a slashing lunge. Again, it was a showy move, overly aggressive. To attack like this in real combat would probably get her injured, but she assumed Glaffin had control of the Scorpion and wouldn't let it try to hurt her.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~

    Warning: My posting rate varies wildly. One day I may post a ton, the next I might disappear for a week.

    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Games I'm DMing:
    Hunger Games (Recruiting)
    Games I'm In:
    They All Uprose, OOC

    Ask Raril a question, he's listening more often now.
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.
    Avatar of Artemis by Serpentine.

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Laelaer's disarm drew a cheer from the crowd, and Thorus' actions, while less flashy, displayed good solid competence, which went over well. Alec played the fool, which drew a few laughs, and everyone seemed to be getting into the show, but then it was over, Thorus disarming Alec of his sword. Then Glaffin said his piece, everyone turned to look, and the people nearest jumped backwards, scurrying out of the scorpion's way.

    Skittering forward, clicking its claws, the menacing ice creature drew a gasp from Glaffin's own captive audience. The young man had moved out of the way of the spell, and was watching bug-eyed as the creature threatened one of the villagers who was too slow to move with its tail. Laelaer jumped in, seemingly just in time to rescue the poor fellow, delivering a solid blow that sent hairline cracks jittering along the scorpion's frozen carapace. The crowd was giving them a lot wider berth, now that there seemed something actually worth fighting. Captain Danvers had stepped out of the jail to watch, his battered longsword in his hand, while Tallhelm and the mayor had retreated back around the corner of a wagon, the merchant shooting worried glances in the direction of his employees.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus takes a half-step forward, preparing to continue the fight, but then the pirate surrenders. He lowers his guard and exhales, but then his respite was interrupted by Glaffin's speech. Thorus had some amount of magical knowledge, but was still unnerved by the conjuration. That just wasn't right.

    Raising his shield, gripping his morningstar and muttering a curse to himself, Thorus hurled his not-inconsiderable mass towards the scorpion. He swung his morningstar in a powerful, downward arc, aiming to hit the construct in the center.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies in advance if this ends the fight too quickly.

    Initiative: (1d20+2)[17]

    Thorus will charge the scorpion.
    Attack roll: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage roll: (1d8+2)[9]
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The scorpion shatters as Thorus' mace drives through it into the earth, dispersing into shards of ice no larger than a fingernail that fling themselves into the air and gently fall back to the earth among the crowd, sounding like the beating of a mass of tiny tinkerers hammers on the soft earth.

    Glaffin reels back a moment, holding his character for all of two instants before breaking down into amazed, hearty laughter at the sight. In two strokes the three had dispatch the beast, and quite in quite a showy fashion at that!

    "By the word of Tharius! There is no challenge of man, beast, or spell that these brave souls who guard our caravan cannot overcome through strength of mind and arm. I feel proud to count myself among their number, and safe knowing that no matter the dangers ahead, they will face them with the same amount steel in their hearts. Forgive the misdirection friends, I simply wished to add something to your show, and my own sword arm is rather weak when it comes to swordplay." Glaffin is still chuckling to himself between his words, and settles back against the wagon while he waits for the crowd's reactions to die down. He hopes the half-elf he was talking to enjoyed the little show of magic, because channeling such a complex and offensive spell certainly took a lot out of the dwarf. From the dark looks on the trio's faces, it seemed as if he'd have to explain some things later in private.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Alec hardly has a dark look; if anything, his face is particularly light from all the beaming disbelief. He nearly drops his sword again when Thorus smashes the ice-beast, and his grip on his open mouth is even less secure. It isn't until Glaffin speaks again that he shakes his head, laughs, and moves forward to clap one hand on Thorus's shoulder.

    "Salt and shades," he swears an old pirate curse, "You really are our god of war." He laughs again, then slips between the soldier and Laelaer to pick up his knife from the melting ice pieces.

    Quickly raising both weapons in the air, he shouts, "Let's hear it for our heroes! Bandits and monsters can't even touch them, and for the next few days, nothing can touch Seabreak!" His sword and dagger come down to point at Glaffin, Cecily, and Indrys. "And three of the best magicians you'll ever meet have supported them the whole way. A fine show from our priest, there; now we know what happens when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object!" It then occurs to him that most people here might not know what he's talking about, so he just sheathes both blades and starts to clap loudly, hopefully leading the crowd to do the same.

    The pirate steps to their wagon during the applause and quickly digs out a few choice items, which he tosses on top of the vehicle; he climbs up after them, feeling the pain in his chest from yesterday more sharply. He should probably ask Glaffin to see about those wounds, actually. But right now, he has business. Time to see if he's got any potential to be a merchant.

    He stands up, now hopefully well within view of the whole square at this new height. His hands cup around his mouth so he can project over the crowd and get everyone's attention again. "You've seen what expert warriors can do!" Alec gestures towards Laelaer and Thorus. "Now let's see the tools they use!" He draws his knife in one hand and picks up a second dagger with the other, the one he took from the wagon. "You might've seen this--" he raises his weapon higher "--flying through the air when my friend took it from me. Blame me, not the knife, because like all the others we have for sale, it's been tested by professionals, against professionals. But knives aren't just for fighting--they're for everything! If you're old enough to be on your own after dark, you should have one at your side. Cooking, hunting, repair work, cleaning fish, everyday tasks, you never know when you'll need to cut something, and sometimes your life'll depend on it even if it isn't in battle. Everyone needs a knife, and we have plenty for sale at good prices."

    Alec bends down, wincing again at the pain in his torso, to trade the blades for a longer short sword. He holds it over his head so everyone can see, lets it catch the sun and waves it back and forth briefly. "These are a little more specialized. You won't see many people using one in the kitchen or workshop, but when you need it, you need it. Bandits have swarmed these roads once, less than a day from here; maybe they'll do so again after we're gone. Don't rely on soldiers from Stormgate to protect your homes. I hear you've got a militia here, and that's good. Anyone charged with protecting this town needs to see what we've got for sale. Anyone thinking of traveling someday, of seeing the world beyond these shores, should too; you don't want to risk the roads without something to guard you. Buy a sword, learn how to use it, and feel safer than you ever have before. Having someone else to defend you is good enough for pampered nobles with powder on their cheeks and silk on their backs, but I say the rest of us should stand on our own feet."

    For a second time he bends down; now he holds up a leather chestplate with stone or metal studs and minimal damage. Alec made sure to choose the least mangled one. "And finally we have defense in the purest sense. The armor we're selling didn't save those bandits, but it did hold Thorus back for half a second--and mine kept me alive long enough for our priest to pull me back from death's door when I was full of crossbow bolts. I've got a suit just like this. It can mean the difference between a bruise and a gaping hole in your chest. Someday if you become a shining knight for some distant city, you can graduate to metal plate, but leather is lighter, more flexible, and most importantly of all, far cheaper. I know I can't afford to dress myself in full steel."

    Alec gathers up the items and carefully drops down to the ground. "You know some of what we've got; come see the rest and walk home with a warrior's gear!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Come ooooooonnnnnnnn another high Diplomacy roll. Destro, could I get a circumstance bonus because of the show? That was half its purpose, after all, and they seemed to mostly enjoy it. Because if I bomb this roll and the speech was for nothing, I'm gonna be pissed. =P

    Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[15]
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2012-10-19 at 07:13 PM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The gray elf smiles at Cecily, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "You flatter me," he says. "Perhaps unduly so. Since leaving the University my skills have... lessened, somewhat. Atrophied, I suppose, due to lack of use. But I will certainly try to help you as much as I can with what I can remember." He gives himself a mental kick for having allowed his self-advancement to stagnate so dramatically. Had he even cracked one of his books since leaving the University? True, he'd been distracted. His House disbanded, his family either killed or scattered to the winds, sailing back to the continent, plotting with Alec and Laelaer, joining the caravan, fighting off bandits, et cetera, but there had been time and he had let it go to waste, frittering away his free hours with his beloved creature comforts. His father would be ashamed, were he still living. He reaches over and takes the wand from her and examining it carefully. "A faint aura of divination, you said? Excellent, that gives me a place to start. There's a spell that would make all of this work redundant, but alas I do not know it. 'If I only had more power!' is the eternal lament of magicians everywhere. Ah, well. Perhaps I remember enough, and perhaps I don't. Either way, it's a better indication than some that I must resume my studies." He smiles at her. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste, yes? But enough of my blathering. You can't delay the inevitable." With that, he runs his thin fingers over the wand, inspecting it for nooks and crannies of hidden magic, searching for the secrets that it hides within itself.

    Actions:
    >Knowledge: Arcana; (1d20+4)[10]
    >Spellcraft; (1d20+4)[15]
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus' smashing of the Scorpion drew a great cheer from the crowd, and Alec's speech put the cap on the affair. He didn't seem to have convinced everyone, but a good number of people were migrating towards their wagon, and they hardly had enough on offer to sell to the whole town anyways.

    Their first customer was the half-elf who had been talking to Glaffin. Thanking the dwarf for the show, he paid for one of their shortswords with a handful of silver. Alec must have convinced him that the sword was worth buying, because he left looking considerably happier than he had seemed about the silk. The crowd around ther wagon was mostly men, actually, and small surprise give Alec's show of weaponry. A few of the women filtered over, but not as many as were at the other wagons, buying food or toys for their children.

    Indrys
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, it appeared that leaving those skills unused may not have been the best plan. The wand was magi,c Indrys knew it was magic, but for all his training he wasn't quite able to figure out what it did. It was something simple, he was sure, but there was no way of telling what, exactly, without spending a little more time working on improving his spellcraft.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Cecily can see the elf's face grow tight and tense as he investigates the magic of the wand, mystically probing the talisman's hidden recesses for its secret rites of working and rituals of activation. She can then see his face go slack with disappointment, and his sigh is long and drawn out as he hands it back to her. "I am sorry," he says. "It is as I feared; I have gone too long between practicing my skills. I can feel the magic that rests within, and I believe that I can sense a hint of the aura of divination that you described, although I may only think that because I was told to expect it." He shakes his head with a rueful smile. "I apologize, Cecily. I am unable to determine the workings of the wand." He motions, then, towards the town. "We may have to seek out someone else to help us. I have my doubts that we'll find them here, in so small a place, but who can say? It couldn't hurt to have a look around and speak to the local magical talent."
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2012-10-20 at 04:50 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Cecily smiles at the mage, with no sign that she thinks any less of him for not being able to figure out what the spell is. "That's fine. I might have to take your advice. You never know if I can find anyone." The bard holds her hand out to take the wand back. "For now I need to get back to peddling our wares before all our customers are snatched up."

    Provided the wand is indeed returned, Cecily returns to her supply of hearthfire cubes. Now, how to draw attention... A short time later and Cecily is standing up on the edge of the wagon. She hums a bit to herself and four orbs of light wink into existence before her. They shoot out over the crowd to grab attention before returning to Cecily and spinning around her in twisting pattern.

    She gives those that come over a brilliant smile. "Light is a beautiful thing, isn't it? What would we all do without it? It's a shame that it's hard to get anything done after sunset." Dana speaks in an almost singsong-y tone and projects her voice expertly over the hubbub of the crowd. "But I might just have a way for you to shed so light on those evening hours." She hopes down off the edge and scoops up one of the cubes. "This little cube right here will burn for an entire day through, as brightly as any candle could. All you need is a little water." She takes her water skin and pours some water over the cube in her hand. As promised it burns brightly, with a blue-green flame. After ensuring everyone present can get a good look at it, she towels it off, extinguishing the light. "And just dry it off to save it for later when your done. Now who can I interest in one of these little wonders? Just one gold each."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's toss a Diplomacy check in there just in case Destro thinks it'd be relevant.
    (1d20+6)[22]
    Last edited by Gulaghar; 2012-10-21 at 08:33 PM.



  13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin smiles at Cecily's showmanship, which far exceeded his own. He thought about adding something to her speech, but he highly doubted that these people cared much to hear about his qualifications. Still, there was one thing he felt the need to point out that Cecily missed, "And you can see that the light sheds no painful heat, burns no air, and will not go out when wetted. It's as safe to carry in your hand as a smooth stone." Of course, some times heat was a desirable property, but there were always uses for a light even in places where flames should not go.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Normally, Alec would want to go look at those curious little things Glaffin and Cecily are selling and hear the science behind them (it'd be interesting even if he didn't understand all of the details), but for the rest of the afternoon he'll be hard at work. He mostly sells their armor and weapons, being most familiar with that, but he'll also offer anything and everything that a potential buyer seems interested in from their wagon; if the pirate can't guess at the right price, he calls for help from one of his friends, or tries to send a messenger to Tallhelm for advice. Adrian would be good for that, and in fact, if Alec sees the boy unoccupied, he'll summon him to the wagon to help with small tasks. He's less interested in the youth's value as a menial laborer than he is in giving Adrian the chance to watch and listen for anything curious (hopefully he's already the alert sort, but if not, Alec'll work on that soon enough). Because that's what Alec is doing himself, more than just selling. If anything, he--but not the group as a whole--might actually lose money today.

    To an outside observer, maybe Alec just isn't very good at haggling. Oh, if he gets a chance to swindle someone with an unreasonably high price, he does so; that's always a good lesson to teach. There's also the matter of him wanting to get as many of these war-tools into circulation as possible, so if he has to lower his price a bit to get rid of a sword, he'll do just that. More often, though, Alec makes small talk while conducting a sale, trying to subtly encourage customers to tell him interesting things about Seabreak, its inhabitants, its history, and its surroundings, or the road to Stormgate. He smooths the process by letting townspeople haggle down his prices if he likes what he's hearing. Merchants are supposed to be chatty, so the pirate doubts he'll arouse suspicion this way unless someone (say, a certain dwarf) is deliberately keeping an eye on him.

    His companions doubtlessly wouldn't be happy if he was using their profits to buy information, so an outside observer could see something else: as the day goes on, when Alec undersells something, he slips coins from his own pockets and pouches into the group's pile to make up the difference. Maybe he'll break even after he takes his share at the end of the day, but he doesn't care too much; as long as he has enough left over to keep himself housed and fed at the inn during their stay here, he's perfectly content. Money is meant to be spent. Whatever else Alec is, he isn't a miser.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2012-10-23 at 02:25 PM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Business was good, especially after Cecily's little light show. Most of the hearthfire cubes went quickly, to people intrigued by the novelty or with some actual use for the things. Early on, Glaffin noticed an elf standing nearby, eyeing the cubes with interest, but he never approached to buy one and after a while he moved on to the other wagons, losing himself in the crowd. The bottles of wine were equally popular, even at ten gold for a bottle. Someone claiming to be from the inn bought most of it, but one bottle went to the mayor, who stopped by as point of course.

    "Wanted to thank you for putting on that show earlier," he told Alec, who had been free when Martin stopped at the wagon. "Gave us all a good laugh. Except maybe old Willam, but I think he'll see the humour of it in the end, eh?"

    The mayor was one of the few people to pay in gold coins. Most of them had silver, or handfuls of copper, and their pile of money ended up looking a good deal bigger than it actually was. Cecily was in top form, upselling their product as best she could, and many of the items went for their full market price. An older human woman came by, inquiring after the silk. Evidently the mother of the child Glaffin had sold a short-sword to, by her talk. He'd known a tailor after all. Unfortunately, while the shortswords were a popular item, the higher priced gear in their stock didn't seem to be selling. The only offer they got for the armour was from Captain Danvers, who had stepped out of the jail for a moment.

    "I don't have the money for it," he explained, somewhat apologetic. "But I'd like to have a few sets on standby for the militia, just in case. What I'd have to do is write you a couple of chits, for the armoury in Stormgate."

    After a while, ships began returning to harbour. Or boats, really, by the size of them. There were no huge sailing vessels in Seabreak, nothing capable of crossing the ocean. These were fishing boats, and they fed the town. Their crews filtered into the crowd around the caravan, bringing with them the scent of fish. A couple of them stopped by the group's wagon, picking up an extra knife, or just browsing. One man was interested in a shortbow, and made them an odd offer; his crew had done well, that day. He'd trade them a few barrels of salted fish for it.

    Through it all, Alec made small talk with the customers, chatting about the town. There weren't very many people considered important, but everyone seemed to know nearly everyone else. Mayor Martin was the big figure in town, but Captain Danvers had more actual power, if it came to that. The alchemist who lived in the brick building was named Iskandar, Brother Grayson took care of the shrine to Tharius, the only dwarf in town was Mr. Grimfist, who ran the inn. One woman assured him, in hushed tones, that Grimfist used to be a pirate, and who knows what he was up to now. The area around Seabreak, he learned, was pretty much all hills and water, far as you could see. A few families lived in outlying farmsteads, but most people were collected around the town. An old greybeard told him of how the Dead Man's chest had been built first, as a stopover for people heading to Stormgate, and the town had been built up gradually around it. There were wild animals, up in the hills, but they didn't bother the town, or there were no wild animals, or there was actually a rogue werewolf. Nobody seemed especially clear on the dangers of the roads, but then these people probably never left.

    Eventually, the crowds began to die down, and the group was able to count their take. They'd made one hundred seven gold, but only thirty-six of that was in actual gold pieces. The rest was silver and copper, tarnished, but still worth something.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since you have a few trade offers, the 107 does NOT include Captain Danvers' offer of trade chits, or the barrels of fish proposed by the seaman. Glaffin has sold seven of his twelve hearthfire cubes, and all of the shortswords and daggers are gone.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  16. - Top - End - #436
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The Mayor

    "Oh, well thank you, sir," Alec says, equal parts cheer and respect; he makes sure to shake the man's hand. He also very nearly offers the bottle of wine for free (free to the mayor and not so free to his own pocket, that is) in exchange for opening it over dinner that night with him, Tallhelm, and a few other members of the caravan; he could bring Indrys, maybe Laerler or Cecily too, and learn about the political situation in Stormgate. But Seabreak is so remote and Alec decides he could put the gold to better use somewhere else, so he lets Martin pay and wishes him an entertaining evening with the bottle.

    The Captain

    This idea sits well with Alec; he wants the militia to be well protected, believe it or not. If there's no town in the first place, then it can't very well build into the vision he has for Seabreak. And besides, there's no reason that militia members can't take up their swords for less legal causes and play a central role in his long-term plans.

    "I want to take you up on that," he promises truthfully, "but first I've got to check with the others. Let me ask them and I'll come by the jail later to let you know, unless you can wait for a bit."

    The Fisherman

    He also likes this plan, as it gets one more weapon into local hands. If Alec had his way, he'd trade the rest of the bows for a similar price and leave the villagers hungry and well-armed, primed for raiding. But the others aren't likely to agree.

    "Hmm. I suppose that's an idea, but you've got to understand the quality of this bow. Your fish are fine, surely, but I think we'll need more of them to meet the price. How about nine barrels?" He's nearly positive he'll be answered with a much lower counter-offer and they'll end up somewhere in the middle (if the man takes his price outright, Alec'll buy the bow himself; he shouldn't let the lesson pass by when he meets someone so willing to throw away their valuables). In the mean time, he tries to get the attention of the others at the wagon--or better yet, sends Adrian to get input from everyone regardless of where they've run off to. Hopefully he'll have a general consensus by the time he and the fisherman settle on a number, even if he then has to refuse his customer by popular vote of his companions.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Haggle-Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[15]


    And the Info

    Werewolves, hm? That's a thought. Alec wonders if the pelt would still be available after death, or if the creature would become human again. Such a thing would make a nice trophy.

    Speculation aside, he now has another reason to visit the inn. Grimfist by name alone is someone he needs to meet; maybe he'll find a kindred spirit. Or a bitter rival hell-bent on defending the town, either from altruism or a hatred for competition. Alec feels excited just thinking about it. This could be a test for him or a key ally; both make him eager for nightfall.

    Out of kindness for Glaffin and fear of serious retribution, Alec thinks that he'll stay away from the shrine. The local alchemist may be less fortunate. That's an opportunity he vows to look into, and he already has an idea for how to proceed. Glaffin may be surprised when, at the end of the day once the square starts to clear, Alec offers to buy his remaining five cubes.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    With Alec

    Glaffin heads over to where Alec is shipping out their goods without prompting once the cubes he'd laid out were sold. He stays mostly silent for the day unless asked for help with something from one of his fellow merchants or is asked about one of the weapons by those who are buying them. He'll offer his expertise as a smith to answer such questions whenever possible.

    When Alec offers to buy the remaining five cubes, he shakes his head with a short laugh, "I'm saving these five as samples. The recipe comes from dwarven hands, and there happens to be a dwarf who runs the inn as far as I've heard tell, so I wanted to see if he'd like to buy a bit of nostalgia off me. I'll also be looking to sell them off to ship captains, since they work better than torches when you're at sea. If the samples sell, I can make a messload more for whichever person needs it." It's clear he's thought this through.

    "The ingredients are simple enough as well, so if you want to buy a batch I'll let you have one for the cost of the ingredients and a bit of my time once we get back on the road. I certainly won't charge you the full price while we're in business together and sharing costs, it wouldn't be fair of me." Which is true enough. Glaffin is willing to help out his compatriots even without the promise of money, so long as it's not a huge inconvenience to him. In this case, with the deal he set up with the blacksmith for tomorrow would keep him occupied all day, so he doubted that he'd have time to make Alec a batch of Hearthfire for his own use before they left Seabreak unless Tallhelm could be convinced to stay here for a third day.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    After the fight
    After the scorpion is slain, Thorus exhales and looks around him at the crowd. Having no ideas for inspirational words or even advertisements, he raises his morningstar high above his head; hopefully the villagers would get the point.

    Then he retreats back to the caravan and its wares and helps out with the selling wherever he can. Not being confident in his ability to pitch things, he mostly just acts as another pair of hands, showing how things work or giving them a few practice swings with the weapons to help seal the deal.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    That's right, something I forgot to mention - Alec spent five gold worth of small change getting his information.


    Captain Danvers, unfortunately, didn't have time to wait around. He left to go back to work, after checking over the armour and making sure any of the more egregious rents would be mended before they sold it to him.

    The fisherman offered more of a prospect for bargaining. He raised his eyebrow at the request for nine barrels, seemingly surprised Alec would ask for so much. "For nine barrels, I should think I could get all five of those bows you've got. This is good fish we've got, and I'll be salting it so it keeps for a bit. I could offer you a little more though, I suppose. Shall we say eighteen pounds? That'd fit in three of the small barrels we've got, and it's more than fair, I think."
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  20. - Top - End - #440
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The Bartering

    "Hm," Alec frowns. "I'm not so sure..." And he really isn't; he's eaten a lot of fish in his life, but he can't say how much these are worth. He didn't exactly pay for many of his meals when he sailed as a pirate.

    "You've got good fish, I believe you, but I expect the caravan is buying a lot of that while we're here. And as you can see, we've only got a few bows, while you have all the fish in the sea..." He'd like to haggle as high as he can, more for the challenge of it than for profit, but truthfully, Alec is just as much stalling for time. He needs the approval of the others before he can make this deal at all, and maybe one of them will actually know who's coming out ahead in the exchange.

    Afterwards

    Alec is plainly disappointed, although he gets over it soon enough. Maybe he could use Glaffin himself for his plan. Then again, the priest would probably guess it, or at least be suspicious, doubly so after Alec takes real action. That wouldn't do at all. He'll just have to do the best he can with what he has; he thinks he can make it work anyway, and he has all night to mull over his options.

    "I might take you up on that. They're interesting little things. You could likely get a better price for them if you make more for Stormgate."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Bartering

    As Danvers leaves, Glaffin assures him that if he has the time, the dwarf will mend the armor himself before they leave, but even if he doesn't the few arrow holes present are minor patches at best and won't affect the armor's quality any once they're sewed shut.

    Seeing the talk between the two sailors has reached a point significantly above what he would've expected, Glaffin reaches out to Alec to stop him in his haggling, "Three small barrels is plenty for one bow. If you need arrows, master Tallhelm has some on cheaply, and be sure to tell him that Glaffin said you'd dealt fairly with the caravan. Not sure if it'll get you anywhere, but it can't hurt your cause. A few of us can come down to the docks with the bow to pick up the barrels once it's all salted and packed, sound fair?" Three small barrels would still be a hefty load to carry up from the docks to where the caravan is situated, so he'd rather have a few spare hands present when they picked it up.

    Afterwards

    Seeing Alec's disappointment, the dwarf smiles and fishes the tin he was keeping the remaining cubes of hearthfire in from his pack, popping it open and removing one of them, "I doubt I'll need all five samples I suppose. Four silver, and you can have this one. There's a finicky type of lantern I can make for holding them if you'd like to use them on the road, since they're a bit hard to keep hold of when they're wet and slippery."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The Bartering

    Inwardly, Alec feels suspicious; he can't tell if Glaffin knows this value better than he does, or if the priest is just feeling generous. Either way, he doesn't gain much from arguing. He's also already accomplished a fair bit today; all the swords and knives are gone, the armor will soon follow, and he might be able to sell the rest of the bows to Captain Danvers too. Not bad for their first afternoon as merchants. He leans back and finishes out the workday in a good mood.

    Afterwards

    This also helps his mood; he returns the smile, hands over the silver, and takes the cube. "Possibly so," he agrees. "We can see about that when you make your next batch after we head north."

    The lantern won't be necessary until then, at least; this cube isn't likely to last until the caravan leaves, either because it passes from Alec's hands or because he burns it out to just watch the thing work. Torches may be far cheaper, but he's still thinking about buying more. Alec is only careful with his money when he has none to spare.

    Sometime in Between

    At some point during the afternoon or early evening, the pirate leaves their wagon in the care of Glaffin and the others to walk back to the jail. He enters with a brief wave to the captain.

    "Good news; we can make that deal with the chits. And better yet, we can offer more than just the armor. We've still got four bows left to sell, and I don't see them finding more interest tomorrow. What do you say? Let the Stormgate armory buy more safety for Seabreak."

    While he waits for an answer, he lets his eyes wander around the room. Primarily, he wants to see if that sword is still resting by the door.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[13]
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The fisherman nodded his consent. "Three barrels it is, then, and we'll see you at the docks in a few hours. My boat's the Trident, tied up near the end." With the deal made, he left, leaving the merchants to end the day in peace. Or, almost.

    The elf Glaffin had noted earlier was back, and walking towards their wagon. The crowds had thinned near to nothing, and it seemed he'd wanted to wait for whatever reason.

    "Hello," he began, "my name is Iskandar. I noticed your friend's show earlier, with the burning cubes. I was wondering where you found them?"


    1

    Danvers' sword was no longer by the door, Alec saw. Instead, it was hanging from the Captain's belt. He'd likely put it on when he stepped out to check on the caravan, and hadn't removed it since then. He waved Alec to have a seat opposite his own at the simple wooden desk he evidently used to store his paperwork. "Shortbows, right? I saw those earlier. Not sure how well I'd be able to train this lot to use those, mostly we just keep a handful of crossbows on hand. Point and shoot is a lot easier to learn."

    The captain smiled, and busied himself filling out the chits. They weren't tokens, as they might have been in a larger town, or a city; Danvers, rather, was using a strip of parchment. He'd started filling it out as soon as the pirate brought his news. "Still, might be able to give you something for them. Four, you said?"

    Unlocking one of the desk drawyers, Danvers pulled out a metal seal and pressed it into a glob of wax, finishing off the chit and spinning it around to show Alec. It was marked as good for four (4) suits reinforced leather armour, by authority of James Danvers, Captain, King's Army. The seal he'd used carried the crest of the army, and marked it as an official document.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  24. - Top - End - #444
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The Wagon

    And now Alec perks up. He doesn't interrupt, though, but just listens in on the conversation. Maybe this'll save him some time. He doubts he'll ask any of his questions, though; best to poke around tomorrow when he can better justify it and when Glaffin isn't so close.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Damn time-splices. =P Alec might not need to buy that cube after all, depending on how this scene goes.


    The Jail

    He's glad to see that the captain goes armed into town, particularly when outsiders are around. Some might call it paranoid, but this man is charged with Seabreak's defenses; if he'd left his weapon back in his office, Alec might've decided to make his eventual lesson much harsher. On the downside, this means he could be in more danger tomorrow night than he'd expected. But that's just life.

    "Very nice." He accepts the chits and looks them over, admiring the seal. Naturally, he'll be studying that, and the handwriting, later on in private. For the moment he soon sets them aside. "And the bows? I'll admit, I'm not the best haggler in the caravan, but if you promise not to be too fierce about it, I'll do my best on the behalf of the others." He grins friendlily.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin grins widely, preventing himself from chuckling at the elf's assumption, "Didn't find them anywhere, and you're unlikely to find any outside of a dwarven hold, which I understand there are few of on this continent. It's a well known recipe among my kin, since we use them to light deep reaches under the earth where are is scarce and flammable gas is always a possibility. I whipped up this batch in the time it took us to travel from that bandit camp to the edge of town."

    The tin with the remaining four cubes rests under one gloved hand, fingers drumming on its surface as he considers Iskandar carefully before extending his other arm, offering his hand to the elf.

    "Glaffin Pickthrower, alchemist, smith, and cleric of Thorus when I'm called to be. I'm a lot better than I have any right to be at the first two as well." He boasts mildly.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    ASfter Cecily finishes catering to the various potential buyers, she decides that a break is in order. Things had slowed right down anyway, so she's not too concerned about getting back to the wagon.

    That means there's a chance to look around. She's always been more of a city person herself, but the town is nice enough. First order of business is to stop by the Dead Man's Chest, and perhaps get a drink while she's there. The bard does just that, and heads into the building.



  27. - Top - End - #447
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Alec manages to catch his laugh before it escapes, instead snorting and doing his best to mask it with a series of coughs. He glances sideways at Glaffin, then shakes his head to himself. Maybe they don't agree on everything, but he's still growing a little fonder of the priest.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    "No, I'll take them. Four more weapons isn't a bad thing, and there's probably a few folks in town know how to use one." Captain Danvers filled out another chit, passing it over to Alec to join the first one. "You can have the armour and bows delivered here. I'll sort them out from there."

    With that matter taken care of, there wasn't much else for Alec to do, as far as the caravan was concerned. Nearly everything had sold, even if they'd have to wait for stormgate to get any actual money out of most of it.


    1

    Iskandar took Glaffin's hand, with a smile. "You made them, then? They're interesting little things, and not something I'd run across, before. Perhaps understandably, if you say they're from the holds. Could you be persuaded to part with the recipe?"

    The Elf hadn't noticed Glaffin's intentional mispronunciation, or perhaps he simply didn't get the joke. Cleric of Thorus, indeed.


    1

    Cecily, meanwhile, had found her way to the Dead Man's chest. The inn was old, oldest part of town if the chatter she'd overheard at the wagon was to be believed, and it looked the part. While not overgrown, or covered in moss, the stones were worn, and the wooden parts of the building looked aged. Inside, it was the same. Aged wooden floor and furniture, smelling of ale, and carrying, to nobody's surprise, a distinct nautical theme. There was an old ship's wheel hanging from one wall, ropes and pulleys dangling from the ceiling, and a massive iron-shod chest on a counter behind the bar. The woman who had bought the wine earlier was mopping the floor in preparation for the rush from the caravan once all the customers had gone home, and an especially grizzled dwarf manned the bar, swabbing the bartop with an old cloth. He looked up when the door opened, revealing that under his great bushy beard and unruly hair, he only had one eye - the other was covered by a patch of black cloth. It was easy to tell why people thought he was, or had been, at the least, a pirate.

    The dwarf grunted a terse greeting, gesturing for Cecily to have a seat wherever she liked.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  29. - Top - End - #449
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The Jail

    Not bad for a first day.

    "I'll bring everything by tomorrow once Glaffin's mended the armor," he promises. "Until then, I'll see you at the inn, if you come by. Don't let the bandit lock you down all night." With one more task left (merchant-related, that is; he has plenty more of his own business ahead of him), Alec rises from the desk and makes his way back to the caravan.

    End of the Workday

    Outside again, he retrieves one of the five bows from their wagon and then searches for Adrian. He could bring the barrels of fish up from the docks on his own if he had to, light as they are, but carrying three at once would be awkward. Better to have another set of hands to hold the third. Besides, he wants to see how his new ward is doing so far.

    "This is a nice little town," he comments on their way to the Trident. "If a little quiet." For now.

    Then the weird switch of topics comes out of nowhere. "And what have you learned here today?"
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

    ~ Sophistemon

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus tilts his head at Glaffin's joke, and can't help but chuckle a little. Musing to himself, he goes through his share of the coin, making sure it's in order. He ponders whether he should follow Cecily to the inn; an ale would be mighty nice after their travels, and the last few days' trials. After a moment spent watching the alchemist and cleric converse, he decides to do just that, and makes his way to the Dead Man's Chest.

    While he does take a glance around the inn at the decor, he does not dwell on it. He takes a seat at the bar, close enough that, if Cecily wished to converse, she could, but far enough that they could also pass for strangers. Or, more specifically, they could if not for the fact they were both in the same caravan.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •