New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

Glaffin considers it. On the one hand, it would harm his own business in this town if the recipe became known, and depending on how much Iskandar spoke with other alchemists, might ruin his exclusivity for Hearthfire altogether. On the other, it's not like the cubes did anything a small light spell didn't do, and those could be made permanent if cast by the right person. Such a thing was much more expensive, of course, but even dwarves were known to use them from time to time.

"I suppose it depends on what you have to offer in return, and what you plan to do with the information. I do have something in mind that a fellow alchemist might have in stock, if you're willing to trade knowledge for ingredients."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily favours the dwarf with a smile and a nod before moving over to the bar. She's considering getting something to drink when Thorus takes a seat himself. "Hello, Thorus. I hope your luck was as good as mine today. Sell much?"

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian was easily located, near where they'd left the horses. The animals had been tied to a series of posts driven into the ground, and were happily munching in feed bags, flicking their tails. The boy looked tired, which was understandable enough, but he accompanied Alec to the docks without complaining.

His response to the sudden shift in topic was another question. "Learned? I'm not sure how you mean."

"Well," Iskandar said to Glaffin, stroking his chin. "I've got a few ingrediants on hand, yes, and a little money besides. I'm sure we can agree on a price for the information. What might you be looking for, specifically? As for what I plan to do with it, I think it'd be useful to have around. No risk of catching my books on fire, for one thing."

The dwarf squinted at the pair through his one eye, and stomped over to where they'd taken seats. "Get you anything?" He asked. There was a food menu printed in chalk on a black slate hanging near the end of the bar, and most of what it featured seemed to involve fish in some way.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thorus eyed the menu for something perishable that they couldn't get on the trail - lobster, octopus or somesuch. If it exists, he orders it along with a strong ale. If not, he'll settle for fish and the ale. He thumbs his nose and looks at Cecily. "I ain't much of a trader, but I got a decent share. Mostly just helped out; one'a these days I'm gonna hafta learn how to sell stuff on my own."

5. - Top - End - #455

"I'm wondering if you've come across any maiden's hair. It's a tough, stringy fungus that grows in the dark on damp rocks, hard as anything to cut, but it can be drawn into earthsilk if you've got the knowledge, and when dried and ground it makes for a good paste for making bone-setting casts. If you've got some whole, not dried, in a sufficient amount, I'd trade it for the hearthfire recipe. No need to talk money then, unless you don't have any or are unwilling to part with it." Glaffin has other uses in mind for the maiden's hair than medicinal, but there's no need to talk about his intent. If Iskandar happens to have some, then that's all the dwarf needs to hear.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

6. - Top - End - #456

Lizardfolk

He seems to have expected this response. "Oh, we should always be learning. Lessons are everywhere if you pay attention, which you should. For example: today I learned a little about being a merchant. I learned that the people here like to barter but don't haggle much. The first makes sense in a small town with more trade than currency. If I'm smart, I'll remember this for tomorrow, assuming I can find anything else to sell." Alec can't help but be proud about that; maybe he'll join up with another vender in the caravan so he can keep building this new skill.

"I also learned that the mayor is about the only one here with real gold, so I should look for things to sell him. He's the best available market. I learned that the captain at the jail can make deals on behalf of the King's Army; he's another good market, but I don't think we have anything else he'd want. I learned that the innkeeper might've been a sailor--" of a sort "--so maybe I could trade some stories with him and get a better price for my room and food if he likes me. But I also heard rumors that he might not be a nice person, so I should remember that as well." If not for the reason Alec is implying.

"Knowledge is power," he quotes the old cliche, "and it's never wasted. Just because you see or hear something and can't use it immediately doesn't mean it's useless. Keep it in your head like a bag of silver for emergencies. Keep your ears sharp and your eyes open. People who walk through the world with their heads down aren't going to get very far. Pay attention and remember. If you spent your day with the horses, then you should've learned something about horses. You should've learned which are easy to care for and which are ill-tempered bastards, and what wagons each pulls in the caravan. That can save you from taking a hoof to the chest somewhere down the line. You should start to learn what makes a good draft animal and what makes a good riding mount. One day you're sure to want a horse of your own, and the things you should've learned today could make a difference. Remember that while you tend to them tomorrow."

It isn't about the horses, of course. This is still one of Alec's most important lessons; all his others will follow from it, because few others will be spelled out as clearly. From here on out, Adrian will be less taught and more given the chance to learn if he's paying attention. Hopefully he will be, for his sake; some lessons are painful if failed. Other Loktarians might not have even been generous with this first instruction, but Alec thinks everyone has to start somewhere. Adrian could climb the metaphorical mountain without a rope if he was clever enough. Sadly, Alec doesn't think he is. The young man may have potential, though, and that counts for a fair bit. Raw natural talent is too rare to hold him to that standard; some patience is in order.

Spoiler
    Show

Despite mainly being the base for future lessons, this could still translate mechanically. Spot, Listen, Alertness, Gather Information, Intelligence or Wisdom points--I can see it manifesting in a lot of different ways. As we discussed, Destro, it's entirely up to you even if I eventually get Adrian as a cohort like I hope.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2012-10-30 at 01:48 PM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Cecily smiles at the mage, with no sign that she thinks any less of him for not being able to figure out what the spell is. "That's fine. I might have to take your advice. You never know if I can find anyone." The bard holds her hand out to take the wand back. "For now I need to get back to peddling our wares before all our customers are snatched up."

Provided the wand is indeed returned, Cecily returns to her supply of hearthfire cubes. Now, how to draw attention... A short time later and Cecily is standing up on the edge of the wagon. She hums a bit to herself and four orbs of light wink into existence before her. They shoot out over the crowd to grab attention before returning to Cecily and spinning around her in twisting pattern.
    The wand is, of course, returned to Cecily. Indrys has no claim to it, and knows as well as anyone else traveling with the caravan what befalls the thieves who might prey upon it. Besides, of what use to him is a wand that he can't use? He nods, then, once she takes it. "Run along, then. Go about your peddling." Once she leaves and the others have set about the actual work, Indrys conducts himself as the wealthy princeling that he can no longer claim to be. Old habits die hard, however, and as he peruses the various stalls for material comforts he is never once seperrated from an aura of snobbish, self-supposed superiority that he himself misinterprets as sophisticated detachment. Although never overtly rude, his courtly bearing means very little in a town so far removed from great halls as this one, and it is unlikely that his conduct wins him many friends among the townsfolk. Such is the way of things, and thankfully the others are better at presenting a friendlier face than he to make up for it. Once the day dies down and the trading ceases to be of much interest, the elf makes his way to Grimfists' inn for a meal and a drink, and is pleased to see that both Thorus and Cecily have beaten him to it. Smiling bashfully, he slowly approaches and asks if he might join them.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

"Well..." Adrian went quiet for a moment, his brow furrowing in thought. "I learned how to tie a horse to a post so it can't pull free, and how to hang the feed-bags. I didn't have a lot of chance to watch the townsfolk, though. Maybe tomorrow."

Alec's speech had taken a while to say, and the docks weren't far. By the time Adrian had reached his conclusion, they had neared the wooden construction of the docks. The smell of fish was strong here, though not nearly as powerful as it might have been in a larger port. The Trident was tied up near the end of the dock, and turned out to be a single-masted sailboat with a heavy winch bolted to the deck. Damp nets were folded off to one side, and the crew were busy packing the last bits of fish into barrels. The captain met them on the dock, pointing at three smaller casks he'd set off to the side.

"Those ones are yours, then."

Iskandar shook his head, slowly. "Maiden's hair? Can't say I've come across any, unfortunately. There aren't many caves around here. You're welcome to come by and see what I do have, if you like. Perhaps we can find something you'd be interested in?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No update for the folks in the inn right now. Ghar's up there. For Thorus, the menu does not have many exotic dishes, but does feature smoked oysters if he'd like to try those.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #459

Lizardfolk

"And this belongs to you." He hands over the bow. Then Alec takes one of Glaffin's cubes from his pocket. "Some of these could be too, if you're interested. Most of them are gone already; they've sold pretty fast today. Still, I've got a few left over. They're damned useful out on the water when you need some light. I used to be a sailor, and I wish I'd had a dozen of them every time I got caught in a storm at night."

Alec steps to the edge of the dock and kneels down to dip his hand and the cube into the sea. When he comes back up, he has both a grimace from his wounds and a handful of blue fire. He holds it over his head in hopes of catching attention from any other fishers.

"If your torches are out in the rain, that's the end of them; these just burn brighter. Well, 'burn' is probably the wrong word. You could hold a cube in your mouth and not hurt for it." He waves his fiery hand about to illustrate his point. "You won't have to worry about a high wave leaving you in the dark. If you drop a cube overboard in shallow enough water, you could even swim down and get it again with no loss. And, just like a normal torch, you can put it out any time you want." Alec dries the cube on his shirt until the fire fades.

"I've got four left, if anybody's interested. The priest might be able to make more before we leave, but I'm not sure." Scarcity seems to work to a merchant's advantage, Alec thinks. If he wasn't really low on cubes, he might've decided to lie about it anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[11]

~ Sophistemon

10. - Top - End - #460

Glaffin's expression sours, but he nods, "A shame that. Perhaps I will on the way to the inn then. There are certainly other more common ingredients I could stock up on, and even if they aren't worth my recipes to me, I'm sure we can trade in coin. Who knows, if there is something there that catches me eye, we might come to a deal for the hearthfire recipe after all." Glaffin looks around at the thinning crowd, then turns back to his fellow alchemist.

"Once I'm done with whoever else needs help, I'll head to your place as soon as I'm done packing up the wagons. Sound good to you?"

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily takes a moment to order some of those oysters, being the one thing on the menu that really grabs her attention. In response to Thorus, she chuckles and nods. "I actually don't have much experience in this trade myself, but it looks like I might have a talent for it based on how well today went."

And look at that, Indrys is joining them. "Hello, Indrys. I don't think I saw you most of the afternoon. Did you keep yourself busy?" She greets him with a smile.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

"Well..." The captain seemed to be considering it, looking at the cube with interest. He hadn't been around for the initial demonstration, of course. "I suppose we could use one, just in case of a storm. We don't go out at night, much. How much for it?"

"Alright. I'll see if I can't dig up a few of the more interesting things I've got on hand. Most of what I use is fairly common," The elf admitted. "Got to be, around here. I'll expect you by shortly."

Without offering an explanation for his remark, Iskandar left Glaffin to finish helping people and packing up. The job didn't take long, and once the crowd had thinned out for good the dwarf was able to make his way over to Iskandar's workshop. The brick building looked new, or newer than most of the town, at least, with high narrow windows that all seemed to avoid pointing directly at the other buildings. The door had been left hanging open in anticipation of Glaffin's arrival, and the sound of rummaging was coming from within. Stepping up to the threshold, Glaffin got a good look at the interior; it wasn't large, and most of the space was taken up by shelves of dried herbs and other ingredients, or alchemical equipment that looked far too complex to have been made in Seabreak.

Iskandar was standing by one of the shelves, poking through a motley collection of glass bottles. "Hello again," he said, pulling one up to the light to have a good look at it. The lab was lit predominantly by candles, Glaffin noticed, though most of them were snuffed out at the moment and there was a hooded lantern hanging from the ceiling. The racks and shelves of ingredients looked, as the elf had said earlier, to be fairly commonplace. There were plenty of flowers, herbs and mushrooms of varying sorts, as well as things like dried bark and powdered beetles. A well-used mortar and pestle sat on one shelf, and another held a handfull of rolled parchments.

"If you don't see anything you like, I've got a couple ideas."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anything you could need for any given common alchemical recipe (PHB, mostly) can be found here. Iskandar also appears to own a solar still, a large quantity of salt, and a jar of blue-ish oil that Glaffin can make a craft (alchemy) check to identify.

The surly barkeeper thumped off, returning a few moments later with a plate of oysters, which he plonked down in front of Cecily. "Four silver. Rest'll be a minute," he explained, looking pointedly at Indrys and Thorus to see if they wanted anything as well.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #463

Spoiler
    Show
    Craft (Alchemy) (1d20+13)[17]

Glaffin inspects the various tinctures and powders, trying to eye their potency as he walks towards Iskandar's shelf. Too fresh and they wouldn't be at full quality, and too dry and they might not bond with what you mix them to. As every good alchemist knows.

"Let's hear what you had in mind first then. I wasn't expecting a chance to replenish my supply of ingredients in this town, so I must admit I don't really have a list. I've no need for fire, have come into a boon of antitoxin on the road, and obviously I have better mixtures for light than goldenrod and plated iron. I suppose I could do with a bit of acid for etching, if you've got the stuff for that." He wouldn't be wasting his time making matches and bags of sticky goop to sell to would be adventurers, that's for sure.

14. - Top - End - #464

Lizardfolk

"Eight and a half silver coins," he tells the captain, relatively pleased. Alec knows that wasn't his best pitch; one cube is probably all he can hope to sell. Even so, he looks around the docks in hopes that some of the other sailors might have taken an interest.

~ Sophistemon

15. - Top - End - #465

Thorus eyed the oysters for a moment, then ordered a plate of his own. He nods in greeting to Indrys before turning back to Cecily. "I'm a fightin' man, not so cut out for this stuff. If the money keeps comin' I could maybe get use'ta it, but it certainly ain't what I'm made for."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you." Cecily gives the dwarf a warm smile as she slides him the silver coins. She doesn't touch the oysters yet, however, instead returning her attention to Thorus. "A fighting man indeed. You have to tell me where you learned to fight like you do. That kind of skill is like something out of a storybook." She says, sounding genuinely impressed.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

"I've got some sulphur, and a handful of other things, yes. I don't have any acid made up, though. Not much call for it out here. I think I like it that way." Iskandar placed the bottle he had been examining back on its shelf, turning to the collection of parchments. "What I had in mind was knowledge for knowledge. I've got a few scrolls here, if you're interested in those, or I could tell you how to make something you might not have come across. It's a tricky formula, but handy to have around animals. Your horses, for instance."

Nobody else, Alec saw, was really paying them much attention. There was too much work to do. Still, the captain was counting out a few coins, as old and tarnished as most of the others he'd seen that day. The money in Seabreak probably circulated within the town a good deal. Place this small, there wasn't likely to be much in the way of import or export. Just caravans like Tallhelm's, really.

Picking up the barrels, Alec and Adrian made their way back up the hill towards town. "What did you learn about him?" Adrian asked, shifting the weight of the barrel he was carrying. "He only bought a bow. No arrows."

The dwarf grunted, sweeping Cecily's silver into his meaty hand and thumping off again to fetch the other orders. Thorus' oysters didn't take long, and after that the dwarf vanished into the kitchen. There was something sizzling in there, but it was hard to tell exactly what just from the sound - the smell of the inn covered up anything that might have been coming from the kitchen. It was starting to fill up, too, more of the men and women from the caravan drifting in. It looked like the only two employees of the place were the old dwarf and the young woman, but then, this was probably about as busy as the inn ever got.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #468

Lizardfolk

"That's true," Alec agrees. "It's possible he plans to buy them from the caravan separately, or from the local smith. Seabreak sees so little outside traffic that they probably like to be as self-sufficient as they can; hard-to-make items could sell very well here. Besides, decent archers have to be trained, so for the price the fisherman paid, I assume he's experienced and not just a hopeful amateur wanting to learn. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make his own arrows. He might be part of the local militia, or maybe a former soldier or sailor for the Royal Navy." Any of which could be useful; Alec considers how the man might fit into his plans as they head back to Glaffin to return his cubes and the meager profits. If he's already left by that time to visit the alchemist, Alec tucks his belongings safely away in their wagon.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2012-11-03 at 04:16 PM.

~ Sophistemon

19. - Top - End - #469

When his food arrives, Thorus immediately begins eating, speaking only between mouthfuls of oysters and ale. "My father was an Army captain in Castlegard. I grew up in the ranks, learned how ta fight early." He shrugs idly. "A soldier's life is simple; you learn, or you die. I s'pose I was in a little better spot than most 'cause of my dad, but I still spent a lotta time in the ranks. Folks who've never known luxury only know practicality. Taught me a lot."

20. - Top - End - #470

Glaffin would have stayed around to help load the barrels onto the wagon, but would have left immediately afterwards with a nod of thanks to Alec for the attempt. He'll try to press a three silver of the profit into Alec's hand to cover the sailor's share of the profits from the sale before he goes.

"Well, I can't say I personally work with animals much around the caravan, but perhaps if I show the results to Tallhelm it could convince him to pay me for alchemical services as well. Tell me what this recipe's effects would be then, and if it's as useful as you say it is, we may have a deal. As for the acid, with a slight tweak to the formula you can make something quite a bit more potent, yet safe to handle, that cuts through stone like needles through cloth. Enough materials to make a few vials of that would be worth a bit of gold from my purse, since it can be used for construction and stone sculpting, and even carving if you know what you're doing with it." There's another use for stonebreaker acid, specifically the extraction of metal from an ore without having to heat the ore and melt the impurities in with the desired metal, but that's considered a bit of an open secret among the dwarven community. Most dwarf smiths figure it out on their own through their apprenticeship, and it's considered by many one of the essential steps in making proper dwarvencraft items.

21. - Top - End - #471

Indrys nods to the bard and favors her with a smile. "I did," he responds. "I wandered about town and spoke for a time with the natives. They work as industriously as any city-folk that I've ever known... it was surprising, actually. I had been raised to believe that--" (commoners) "--the rural population were--" (lazy) "--more laid back than their urban counterparts. I am pleased to see that I was greatly misled in that regard." When the proprietor inquiers as to his order, the elf noticeably brightens. "Ah, yes! I'd much fancy a steak, please. Medium-rare, if you can manage. And a glass of wine, if it isn't too much of a bother. I'll trust your judgement as to the vintage."

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

"It's fairly simple," Iskandar explained. "Alters your scent, makes you seem... well, a little more likeable, I suppose. Most of the men I've known to use it were woodsmen, likely to be spending a lot of time around wild animals, but it ought to work just as well on domesticated ones. You can think on that one, if you like. I'm afraid I know only a few exotic recipes like that, though."

While he was speaking, the elf flitted about the small workshop, pulling ingredients down from shelves. Glaffin recognised them, well enough. Sulphur was the main one, and the bottle of clear liquid was surely distilled water. Everything he would need to make acid, stonebreaker or otherwise.

"I hadn't considered that." Adrian said, loading one of the barrels into the wagon and seeing it stored safely where it wouldn't roll around. "I don't know how to use a bow, but maybe I could learn. Well, if we had any left, anyways. D'you know how to make arrows?"

The barkeeper came back with a couple plates of fried potato wedges, just in time to take Indrys' order, it seemed. Leaving the plates in front of Cecily and Thorus, he looked pointedly at the menu board. Steak, it seemed, did not feature on it, but when the dwarf moved off again he was muttering something about 'probably having some somewhere.' The wine was delivered by the young woman who had bought theirs, but it didn't seem to be the same vintage they'd sold to the inn, if the bottle she brought out to show him was any indication. It wasn't an elven wine, but it wasn't bad, all things considered.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #473

Lizardfolk

"I do not. But yes, you could learn to shoot; I can let you borrow my bow when you aren't working and you can practice with it once we're back on the road." Alec had already planned to offer him combat lessons eventually, but he's glad to see Adrian showing some initiative.

"I don't think tonight's the best time to start, though. You've worked hard today, and I've worn myself down somewhat as well; I think it's time we retired to the inn for the evening." Where he'll continue working on one or two more schemes. Luckily, they aren't physically intensive. The pirate has had about enough running around for one afternoon.

He leads Adrian towards the Dead Man's Chest. "One more thing. You seem to have little more than the clothes you're wearing; I may be holding your coins for you, but there's no reason you can't use the money to replace some of what you've lost. I may have work for you tomorrow, and the horses surely will, but when you have some spare moments, you might want to go around to the different wagons and see what's being sold. It's a good lesson anyway; you should get to know the people in the caravan. Pick out things you need and send the merchants to me for payment. Remember, we're going to Stormgate next, and it'll have a better market; I wouldn't spend all your share here. You're also at that age where you might have a few good growth spurts ahead of you. Clothes won't be the best long-term investment anyway. I still recommend a decent pair of boots--" speaking of which, Alec remembers he still hasn't sold the set he took off that bandit "--and another work outfit or two. And a knife, if you can find one. I wasn't lying to the crowd; most everyone needs a small blade eventually. You've got about forty-odd gold pieces overall, mostly in smaller coins. Plus whatever else you make on the road. That's plenty to equip yourself for now, especially if you're smart about it and do a little haggling or offer favors."

~ Sophistemon

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're too modest for your own good. You've got talent more than your average soldier in the ranks, I'm sure of it. It's that talent that keeps you alive and fighting, isn't it?" Cecily says.

She shifts her attention to Indrys, looking faintly amused. "Oh, you find the laid back types everywhere, though I'd expect it to be less common around here. Not when you have to work hard to make a living after all."

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "It's fairly simple," Iskandar explained. "Alters your scent, makes you seem... well, a little more likeable, I suppose. Most of the men I've known to use it were woodsmen, likely to be spending a lot of time around wild animals, but it ought to work just as well on domesticated ones. You can think on that one, if you like. I'm afraid I know only a few exotic recipes like that, though."

While he was speaking, the elf flitted about the small workshop, pulling ingredients down from shelves. Glaffin recognised them, well enough. Sulphur was the main one, and the bottle of clear liquid was surely distilled water. Everything he would need to make acid, stonebreaker or otherwise.
    Glaffin considers it for a fairly long time before replying, "It's not something I'd use personally, as the mule I've got has a temperament like a mewling fawn, but it's probably something I could sell to the other caravaneers or some hunters. Are there any other recipes you might share instead of that? Just so I know my options, you understand. You said you only know a few exotic ones, but since I'm from the other continent, what you and I consider exotic may be two separate things." At this point, Glaffin may take the offer of the scent masking elixir, or he may try to bargain for the ingredients with his own recipe instead of buying them outright, but a different offer could make him more intrigued.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

"Well," the alchemist said, scratching his chin. "There is one thing. It's pretty common around here, because of the army, but you might not have seen it over in Altyria. Simple armour lubricant. It's a little expensive, for everyday use, but it can make a lot of difference for someone in heavy armour."

Adrian nodded, considering his options. "I'll have to see what I can find," he decided, following Alec towards the inn. They would have to hurry, it seemed, if they wanted to get a good room; the rest of the caravan was breaking for the night, it seemed, and a number of them were headed towards the inn on the heels of Alec and Adrian.

Entering the Dead Man's chest, they were met with the nautical theme of the place and the smell of alcohol. The others were mostly collected by the bar, talking over plates of food. A dwarf, presumably Grimfist, was behind the bar, sticking a plate of what looked like steak in front of Indrys. He looked up when they entered, grunted a welcome at them, and went to pull an ale for one of the other merchants down the bar.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #477

Lizardfolk

A half-smile comes to Alec's face as he looks over the decorations, although he's more amused than nostalgic. He scans the crowd to pick out his friends and then aims for the bar. It's time for a scouting mission, of sorts. "Order what you like and put it on my tab," he tells Adrian before he leaves the boy to his own devices. Alec almost adds that Adrian shouldn't have more than a cup or two of wine or beer--Alec was around his age when he first swayed on the deck of a ship with a bottle in his hand, and many people start years earlier--but he keeps the warning to himself. He's spelled out one lesson today already. If Adrian drinks himself into embarrassment, he'll remember his limits next time, particularly if he has to work hard all day tomorrow with a hangover.

"Rum!" he orders at the bar; the pirate rubs two gold coins together between his thumb and index finger to catch Grimfist's attention. Once the dwarf looks over, he slaps the metal disks against the bar. His fingers stay in place as well--three of them, leaving his thumb and smallest digit curled beneath the wood. Most people likely won't think much of those three straight appendages, side by side; if anything, it's probably just a personal quirk. For a certain kind of person, though, this could be a sign...

"And lobster, if you've got it. Crab if you don't. Bread and cheese either way. I'll also see what rooms you've got open before they're all snatched up." Alec's in the mood to celebrate the success he's seen so far; he'll soon buy a few drinks for his companions and settle down to talk. But first, he'd like to get a moment with Grimfist. Busy as the innkeeper is, he'll probably send someone else to show Alec upstairs, at least unless that earlier gesture on the bar grabs his interest. Either way, the stage has been set. Alec hopes to know what sort of person he's dealing with soon enough.

~ Sophistemon

28. - Top - End - #478

Thorus shrugs noncommittally. "Must be doin' somethin' right, otherwise I'd be sittin' in a bandit's stew-pot right now." He hadn't heard of human cannibalism in a long time, but it made a good exaggeration. He belched and started picking at his molars with a fingernail.

When Alec and Adrian enter the tavern, he nods his head in greeting. "Practically got one of them parties goin' on, here," he says to nobody in particular.

29. - Top - End - #479

Glaffin shakes his head, "What do you think you'd be willing to give me in materials for it then? I don't mean to beggar you, but ingredients could be worth far more to me on the road than a recipe and no substances to make it with. If it were something I could use personally instead of merely sell, I might reconsider, but armor lubricant and scented handler's oils aren't something a smith and cleric like myself could use." He sounds apologetic, but resolute.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

"What would it be worth to you? I've got plenty, and I can always get more if I have to. I've got gold, after all." Iskandar started to gather the ingredients Glaffin had seemed most interested in; sulphur, distilled water, and a few other things that would combine to make acid. "Being an Alchemist out here has its perks. My skills are in fairly high demand."

Grimfist looked down at the gold, then up at Alec. "Crab it is. No lobster here. I've a few rooms left, if you're interested. Wait here." It was the most anyone had gotten out of the dwarf so far, but Alec had no way of knowing that. Adrian had slid up to the bar as well, and was peering over the counter at the rows of bottles on the shelves behind it, and up and around to take in the decor. When the dwarf returned, he had some crusty bread and a chunk of cheese, with a knife sticking out of it.

"One of those coins," he said, "Gets you a room and the meal. The other one gets you a mug of rum and these." Grimfist took the two gold, and placed five silver pieces on the counter near Alec. "Just had some crab brought in, so it's fresh. Follow me if you want to pick your own."

Turning away again, the surly barkeeper stomped over to the end of the bar and around the corner. From the sounds of things, he was heading down a set of stairs behind the bar.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: