New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

While Glaffin headed off to sleep, and the others went in search of an inn, Cecily found Adrian sitting off to the side, holding a cup of hot water and talking idly with one of the guards. Cecily recognised Jack, one of the men who had gone with them to the bandit camp. Both waved when they saw her coming.

"Hello, Miss!" Adrian called to her.

Laelaer, Alec and Indrys headed off in a rough cluster, looking for a good inn. There were plenty to choose from, near the markets, but the further away one got the more sparse they became. Indrys didn't see many thugs about, but that may have been because of Alec or, perhaps, it was the presence of the guards. This section of the city seemed to be well-patrolled, men wearing chain armour and red sashes passing by every so often. Nobody questioned them, at the least, and before long they'd found a few good choices for a place to stay.

There was the River Barrel, a cylindrical building on the edge of the market district, right up against the banks of the river that flowed through the city. That one was on the lower end of the price range. The closer you got to the keep, and the wealthier the district, the more expensive it was to stay a night. The Lord's Flagon was still fairly affordable, a squat half-timber building set back from the river amidst the shops of the markets, though it looked more like a drinking establishment than a place to stay. From there, the prices went up. The Headsman's Axe was stone with barred windows to discourage unwanted night-time visitors, and boasted the city's finest entertainment, or so said the sign outside. The Bulwark, on the other hand, was a massive edifice built right up against the walls of Stormwatch Keep. It shared two of its four walls with the city, and but the style of the building was much more opulent then the more military castle behind it. The wooden beams were carved with spiralling designs, and the stones over the door had been stamped with the seal of some guild or other. Even from outside, the Bulwark exuded luxury.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For simplicity's sake, Thorus is able to find the same inns as the others, though he didn't specify he was travelling with them. If none of these strike you as interesting, you're welcome to keep looking.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hello Adrian, and you too Jack." The young woman favours them both with a warm smile. "I was wondering how you were doing. The city's a lot to take in, isn't it. Have you even been in one before?"

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

"Not really," Adrian admitted. "I never got around very much. It's.. certainly very big," he said, looking around at the many buildings.

"I don't think I'd live long enough to see all of it."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily laughs good naturedly. "Oh, you get used to it if you're here for a while I bet. I imagine it's quite a sight the first time, though. So are you planning on staying in one of the inns? The best way to experience new things is to jump right in, after all."

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't have a whole lot of money. I was probably going to just stay with the wagons. Everyone here'll make it safe enough, I figure." Looking around again, Adrian smiled slightly. "I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually. D'you know how long we're here for?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose it's probably a good idea that you save your money. Make sure you take the opportunity to explore a bit tomorrow." Cecily glances toward some of the other wagons briefly, as if trying to recall. "I don't think he mentioned anything. We should be here for a little while since it's a city, but I can't say anything for sure."

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll ask him tomorrow," Adrian decided. "And I'll make sure I have a look around, as well. What'll you be doing?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

"I expect we'll need to figure out a plan for buying and selling our goods. You won't be the only one experiencing something new tomorrow." Cecily says. "Hopefully I'll have some time to buy some personal effects, though. The trip might have been interesting, but it's always a relief to get off the road and get comfortable, even for a bit."

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah. Not a lot of comfort, sleeping on a bedroll." Adrian didn't seem to have too much more to say. He looked tired, and it was getting a bit late. Jack left, off to handle some duty or other of his. The boy seemed too polite to ask her to leave, though.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily doesn't have to look twice to see he's tired. "Well, I'll be seeing you tomorrow sometime. Have a good sleep." She needs to track down a place to stay before it gets too late. She gives Adrian a little wave, and leaves him to find an inn.

She ends up at the River Barrel for tonight, not feeling much like exploring longer for a fancier inn. Besides, it looks comfortable enough, if not entirely to her tastes. The bard won't be up long. just long enough to get a meal before she sleeps.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Any of the four would suit his needs. Tempted though he is by the higher-quality options, Alec does worry about being too close to the keep. Prudence suggests he shouldn't advertise himself to the authorities. On the other hand, he hasn't done anything illegal yet, so why not spring for the best lodgings tonight and then move closer to the river in a day or two? Any longer and people will start to wonder how Alec came by his money. This would also be a good opportunity to see Stormgate's notable figures before they might have a reason to look closely back at him.

Off to the Bulwark, then, if only for a night.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if you want to just summarize this. Alec goes all-out with it, paying for one of the nicer rooms and ordering a straight-up amazing dinner. If any of the others want to come along, they can eat together. Alec has no problem spending 10gp or more on this one evening.

On a side note, Alec is currently keeping most of his money and his pearls tightly wrapped in with his clothes in his backpack, which he has on him. His belt purse has a mix of gold and silver, no more than 50gp combined. He'll be paying out of that.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

12. - Top - End - #672

Thorus decides to lodge at the Lord's Flagon for the night, staying up long enough to eat a meal, drink a tall ale and wash off the dust from the trail. Afterwards he sleeps, not feeling very tired but resolving to explore the city thoroughly in the day. The middle of the night wasn't the time to seek any of the things he wanted.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Laelaer follows Alec into the Bulwark, fancying a bit of luxury. She books one of the nicer rooms and cleans up a bit from the road before heading down to dinner. The drowess will join Alec at his table, if he'll accept her company, and order a dish with its origins in Vayentsia, seeking a taste of what she often thought of as home. Not her true home, of course, that lay deep beneath the surface world, hidden away in the darkness. However, finding ingredients from there, nevermind someone who could cook them properly, would be nigh impossible, even in an establishment like this.

"Do you have any plans while we're in the city?" Laelaer asks Alec, peering at him over the rim of a wineglass.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

14. - Top - End - #674

Lizardfolk

Bathed as well, and wearing one of his nicer shirts that at least isn't shot to hell by crossbow bolts, Alec looks back at her with a crooked grin. With his hair free and his beard combed into one straight mass, he looks a bit dwarvish tonight.

"A few ideas have crossed my mind. I have to see what's available here before I can proceed, but I'm always watching for--" he uses a dwarven word for opportunities, with connotations of being free for the taking for anyone who has the skill, like a vein of gold that's difficult to reach but owned by no one.

He keeps his tone low and conversational, not drifting far beyond their table, but given the brightness in his eyes, Laelaer might guess at his meaning. Their natures aren't so different, after all.

~ Sophistemon

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

The drowess smiles knowingly. "I hope you can find something to your liking. I will, of course, be doing the same, after a bit of rest. I am not entirely certain life on the road suits me." Laelaer sighs. "But I recall that this life bored me." She says glancing at their decadent surroundings.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #676

Lizardfolk

"Most things will, without variety. Still, isn't one supposed to be bored in this social realm?" Alec tilts his chin up, aloof. "Only the common people would show their pleasure in a house of high status. The mark of good peerage is to be perpetually unimpressed."

He plainly doesn't fit the requirement, scooping a half-bite of tender, basted meat with the tip of his fork and tasting it with obvious enjoyment.

~ Sophistemon

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

Alec's impression of a bored socialite drew a frown from Laelaer. "No, one is not supposed to be bored. Boredom is stagnation. Nobility cannot be stagnant. We have a duty to those over whom we rule. To sit around and do nothing would be... dishonorable. We must progress, for the betterment of our people." The drowess slapped the table for emphasis, on her dark, slender fingers Alec may note she wore a battered gold signet ring. Behind the lenses she wore, her orange eyes flare red.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #678

Lizardfolk

He watches her for a moment, taking in her reaction, before apologizing. "I'm sorry. I don't know anything about aristocrats, to be honest. I've met very few." Setting down his fork, he gives Laelaer his attention, silently encouraging her to continue. They've never spoken about her social position, Alec doesn't think.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2013-02-17 at 12:33 AM.

~ Sophistemon

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hate to interrupt, but I'm afraid to leave it too long without updating, especially after poking people. Feel free to finish this conversation in a time-skip section of your posts.

Alec, Laelaer, Indrys:

The Bulwark, on the interior, had clearly been spared no expense in its construction. The stone and materials were fairly common, but the craftsmanship was excellent. The lobby had vaulted ceilings, and no common room. Instead, a spiral staircase led up to the floors with rooms on them, and double doors led into the building's grand dining room. The furnishings, and everything else for that matter, were all stamped with the seal of one guild or another. The chairs were mahogany and teak, with inlays of precious metals, and the food was served on ceramic tableware. Alec's clothing drew a raised eyebrow from the haughty looking man at the front desk, but money was money, and the pirate was paying for one of the most expensive rooms. The Bulwark had a small army of porters to take care of anything the guests needed, and wide tapestries to hide the pesky staff areas from the upscale clientele.

Alec Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was all very impressive, but that was what it had been designed for. During the meal, Alec kept an eye out for anyone, or anything, that looked important. Anyone showed deference. There were a few. Visiting lords, or guildsmen conducting meetings. Another of the services the inn boasted was meeting rooms, with wide tables, available for rent to anyone with a reason and enough coin. Plenty of inter-guild business seemed to be conducted here, the various factions apparently unwilling to allow potential enemies within their own secure buildings. The Bulwark made for wonderful neutral ground.

All in all, the pirate counted five or six guildsmen who commanded more respect than the gaggle of functionaries they dragged around, as well as one Lord Corvi. The lord was a tall elf with dark hair, and by the sound of his name he was Vayentsian. The pirate heard him called by name a few times, but there wasn't much word on what he was here for. The other main person of interest was a gentleman seemingly named Piri Bora, who wore a turban and carried bound to its sheathe a curved sword in the style of Bravar. He had the gait of a seaman, and Alec noticed that the staff seemed to be extra careful around him.

Thorus:

Thorus found the Flagon to be much like some of the taverns he'd been to in his days as a soldier, though it was less of a dive than a lot of those had been. It had been set up to look like a hunting lodge, with a pair of mounted antlers over the bar, and a curved hunting bow below them. The bartender seemed friendly enough, and was happy to keep the soldier supplied with ale and idle chatter whenever he had a free moment. As more of a pub than an inn, the Flagon did brisk business with the locals, and the common room was fairly full. Fortunately, the locals had homes to go to - Thorus was able to secure a room without any trouble.

Cecily:

The river barrel had been built to a theme, almost to the point of obsessiveness. Everything in the place was round. The bar was curved along one wall, the tables were round, the chairs were little round stools, the windows were round, if it could be made circular, it had been. Many of the chairs and tables were shorter than the norm, and the reason was fairly apparent. The owner and proprietor, Josie, was a halfling, and had to use an old crate in order to see over the top of the bar. Even though the place was only around half full, the little woman still lost no time bustling about and giving off the appearance of one who was perpetually run off her feet and didn't give a fig. She was a good cook, too, if the food was anything to go by, and the prices were reasonable. It was not a bad place to spend the night.

Glaffin:

Bedding down by the wagons, Glaffin was joined by Adrian and a handful of guards who felt they had better things to spend their money on than lodging. A few of the older guards were amongst them, and Erne kept them all talking late going back over the encounter at the bandit camp. He was getting to be almost as bad as Tallhelm about re-telling the same story. The caravan had food, though, which meant that none of them went hungry, even if the beds were a little uncofmortable, and enough guards had stayed behind to make the night uneventful.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, unless anyone has anything else to do tonight, you may now consider it to be the following morning. Everyone wakes up refreshed, with a whole day ahead. Any plans?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #680

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Any plans? Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Bright and cheerful, Alec takes a relatively simple breakfast of fruit and toast at the hotel, leaves a generous tip, and then heads back to the wagons to get his fish. He looks to see if there's a larger barrel available so he doesn't have to juggle the smaller containers; at only twenty pounds overall, he should have no problem with the weight itself. Even less if he can steal Adrian for the afternoon like he hopes. Alec helps the boy finish whatever chores he's currently doing so they can be on their way; the others might be surprised that Alec is not, in fact, selling his wares at the rest of the caravan. It's across the river and to the waterfront for him.

"In a port town, not many people are likely to look for bulk buys of fish anywhere but the harbor," he explains to Adrian. "The downside is competition. We'll be next to sellers with fresh fish right off the boat, maybe still-living. On the other hand, our salted product is better for travel. Anyone wanting to stock up for a trip should prefer us, and in that category, we might have few rivals."

There're other reasons too, but he'll leave Adrian to see those for himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alec's tip at the Bulwark will bring his meal total up to 1gp, just for convenience.

~ Sophistemon

21. - Top - End - #681

When Thorus awakens, he stretches and exercises for a few minutes, then splashes his face with water from a basin and gathers his things. He decides to take his dagger and 20gp worth of assorted coins with him, and deposits his other weapons, armor and other belongings at the wagons before setting off to explore the city. He'll rely on his size (and common sense) to not get mugged.

First, he tries to find some kind of map or directory to get his bearings. Once he's done that (or, if he just comes across it first), he then tries to locate a master of arms and a library, taking note of any other significant buildings or landmarks he comes across, such as a museum.

Spoiler
    Show
    No idea if it's needed, but just in case it is:

Gather Information check: (1d20+2)[20]

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

[Last Night]

"You sit with two this evening." Laelaer points out (presuming Indrys has joined them for dinner). "It is unfair to judge those you know little about, however, I thank you for apologizing. It is a rare thing to hear. " The drowess received more judgement than most. "I cannot speak for others, but in my society, merit is what makes an aristocrat, and strength allows you to hold your position, and to perhaps rise higher."

[Present Day]

Laelaer wakes up late and orders herself breakfast in bed. It was a frivolous indulgence, but one she thoroughly enjoyed. Loathe though she was to leave the comfort of her bed, she did have some business to attend to. She set out into the city, searching for a jeweler to appraise and perhaps buy the pearls she had collected.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

23. - Top - End - #683

Lizardfolk

Last Night

A far better way to go about it than by birth, Alec thinks. He decides not to voice the opinion, given that he thinks that's the base of Indrys's position.

"Then what bored you? Your system sounds ideal."

~ Sophistemon

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

[Last Night]

"No system is ideal, but I suppose it is better than most." Laelaer agrees. "For me it was mostly boredom, and a bit of chafing. Once your family has position, when it is secure, how much higher can you rise? What can be done that has not been done before? I chose to come to the surface to search out new opportunities, learn new thing, gain new allies, and to earn myself an edge."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #685

Lizardfolk

Last Night

"I see." He looks disappointed; Alec pictured a more dynamic structure. Part of him thinks he'd like to see Laelaer's way of life anyway, but he's less excited about it now.

"You, at least, have the right idea. Maybe your example will inspire others to follow."

Willingly or not. Alec imagines her taking her hard-won skill and literally cutting away the unwanted habits of her underground people, leaving behind a bloody but leaner culture, poised to rise up in turn and spread Laelaer's gift to others. That's a dream worth striving for. The pirate has something new to think about; he's never given much consideration to the dark elves before now. He'll have to remedy that.

~ Sophistemon

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

[Last Night]

"One can only hope." Laelaer agrees. "I am glad you approve." She said with a smile. However angry she might have been a moment before, it had clearly passed now.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #687
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Morning

Glaffin wakes up as only a dwarf can, refreshed and alert after sleeping on a hard, barely comfortable surface. The only way he could have made it better was if it were a stone slab covered in a thin straw mattress.

Still, he has work to do and reminiscing of home won't get it done. He takes the customary amount of time checking over the wagons and their equipment, checking with the guards and caravaneers to make sure no one is seriously injured in any way, and spending an hour in quiet contemplation of his god's blessings before moving on to what he planned to do with his day. He may bump in to Alec or someone else here or there as they go about their own business, but he's attending to his plans before making idle conversation.

First, he needs to inquire about any churches nearby he can visit. If he can find one, perhaps he can find a buyer for his new collection of scrolls that he whipped up.

And if that falls through there is always the materials for the stonebreaker acid he bartered for with Seabreak's alchemist. Converting those into vials of acid today could mean a tidy profit tomorrow.

The churches come first though. There is more than the matter of just profit involved there. Glaffin has been troubled by dreams he can't make sense of as late, and is hoping for guidance from another devout Thariusian.

Spoiler
    Show
    Like Zergling, I'm not sure if it's needed but have a gather info check anyway.

(1d20-1)[18]
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

28. - Top - End - #688

Lizardfolk

Last Night

While her earlier reaction didn't unbalance him too badly, Alec still relaxes a little in turn and begins eating again. "Will you tell me more about your people? I like what I've heard so far."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want, Art, you could summarize something and end the scene here, but if you have ideas you want to talk through in full, that's good too. I'm fine either way; it's just up to how much you have in mind for the drow, unless you've got other topics you want them to discuss.

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #689

[Last Night]

After renting his room (which was expensive to the point of inducing a wince, but ever so worth it once he entered), the gray elf indulged himself in his first real bath for months, availing himself to the hot, steaming water and scented oils provided by the establishment. He soaked for some time, luxuriating in the heat, before toweling himself off and dressing in fresh clothes. He then tied up his hair in a simple (although elegant) top-knot before joining his compatriots for dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laelaer
    "No, one is not supposed to be bored. Boredom is stagnation. Nobility cannot be stagnant. We have a duty to those over whom we rule. To sit around and do nothing would be... dishonorable. We must progress, for the betterment of our people."
    "Hear, hear," he concurs. "An idle lord is one who finds himself all too quickly deposed." There is a brief pause, during which he frowns. "Of course, constant activity is no assurance of a long and prosperous reign, but it certainly helps to keep the peasants occupied." He falls silent again as the two discuss the merits of Drow society, and the expectations of nobility. Although he does not say it, he does think that, had the Conclaves functioned similarly, he might not be a wandering prince. Then again, had he been raised as a Drow, he might have been culled in his infancy. One can only speculate so much before the exercise becomes moot. He does agree with Alec's musings, however - a society that prides itself on strength and cunning while constantly attempting innovation and advancement, is one that will thrive. The gray elf feels suddenly very small when compared to the others. They had earned their power through guile and force, whereas he was ever the pampered noble. A memory of his cowardice on the battlefield returned to haunt him, and he banished it. He would do better, he reminded himself. He would improve, and he would earn his place among his friends.

[Today]

Indrys awoke with a yawn and stretched languidly in bed, arcing his spine like a cat so as to realign his ligaments. He sits up with a sigh and brushes the hair from his eyes. The bed! Ah, he would be loathe to leave this bed! Perhaps he could convince the Bulwark to part with it? But no, it would never fit in the wagons. The thought of returning to the cot, little more than a lightly-padded hammock, filled him with dread. But then he recalls his resolution, and hardens his heart to it. Strength through suffering, power through perseverance. Very well! Let him toss and turn on the cot! It would make his eventual return to luxury all the more sweet!

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Morning]

Cecily wakes up and sets about getting herself cleaned up and ready for the day. She takes a while making herself presentable. Sleeping in an actual bed has done wonders for that as far as she's concerned. That done, she gets breakfast and leaves the Barrel.

The bard considers seeing what the others might be doing. She could go to the caravan and track them down from there. On the other hand, she'd like to get a feel for the city, especially the political situation. Her recollection of how things are here might not be complete, and undoubtedly something has changed. So Cecily sets out to see what she can find out, hopefully more so from those in the upper class.

Spoiler
    Show
    First of all, I'll roll for her using Bardic Knowledge to see what she knows of the politics of the city. Who's important, the political climate, that sort of thing.
    (1d20+4)[10]

Then she's going to go around and Gather Information to fill in the gaps. Once again I regret completely forgetting this skill at character creation.
    (1d20+2)[15]