New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

Twenty is more than he expected, and a significant amount of work, but... it's also a significant amount of gold. With that, Glaffin might be able to fund something more lucrative or rent himself a workspace to try and puzzle out his vision.

"It's early in the day now, and if I get back to the caravan I can purchase the supplies I need from one of the other merchants there. Scribing that many would be about twelve hours work, so I should be able to get it done in two days for you, leaving me time to contemplate the words of Tharius and perhaps sell some of our wares from Seabreak each evening. At your leave, I can go there and come back now with the supplies for the first half of them, and once those are given to you and paid for I'll have enough to cover the second batch I can make tomorrow." He seems eager to get to work at last, but there is one last thing.

"Would you prefer the spell of slow healing, or the one that heals somewhat less but provide instant relief? Obviously those two are both strong and more stable in their effects than a simple cure spell, though the instant one only works on members of Thariusian faith, as I mentioned." It seems to him that a church would have less need of what was largely considered a combat healing spell among the dwarf clans, so he would lean towards the more powerful and slow spell of vigor if given the choice. What the customer asks for is what he will ultimately provide though.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"A dangerous ruler for a dangerous city," Alec says thoughtfully as he pays for this latest information. The division between church and state gives him an idea. If he forged documents between the Fire Lord and his guard captain discussing a plan to assassinate rebellious church leaders during a purge of Stormgate's criminal elements, intending to make it look like an accidental byproduct of the ensuing riots (which, when put down, would only reflect on the lord's skill as a leader), then sent those letters into the hands of the church, he could cause all kinds of fun.

But no, that wouldn't be fair to Glaffin. It could still work with the guilds, though. Possibly more effectively, given that it sounds more plausible for a grizzled war veteran (a demographic traditionally at odds with pampered rich people) to bring the financial sector under his heel. More investigation is require, beyond what this thug can offer; Alec would need to put together a list of names so he could detail whose head was on the Fire Lord's chopping block. Rich, powerful, independent names capable of raising a public frenzy. He decides to consider this matter further. On its own, it sounds like a decent test of the lord's leadership skills. Combined with another of Alec's budding plans, though...

He brings his focus back to the matter at hand. "Alright, tell me about the other bosses besides Finley. Who are they, what're they like, and where do they rule?" Alec brushes his money pouch to make it jingle quietly. "Five for each," he promises.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2013-03-21 at 01:27 PM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

3. - Top - End - #753

Thorus turns to Cecily, realizing that perhaps having a member of the group present for that was not the wisest of moves. But that was okay, he could work with that. "Nothin's set in stone yet, I ain't obligated ta go through with it. Way I figure, though, 's in all yer best int'rests ta have bodyguards with good weapons. World's a dangerous place."

4. - Top - End - #754

The gray elf listens closely as the Corvi rattles on, outwardly appearing to be invested in the conversation (to the point where his steaming cup of tea has cooled and the eggs on his plate have become hard and rubbery) but inwardly plotting some sort of advantage - as of course all businesselves, all real businesselves, are wont to do. When the other elf pauses in his prattle, Indrys is quick to interject. "Perhaps," he begins, "our chance meeting has been preordained to result in something in addition to what I am certain will be a long and lasting friendship." He lets his tone of voice dip into something rather cryptic at the end, to draw the other in. "As we have discussed, we are both not-readily-dispensable representatives of two complimentary businesses. You, of course, represent the producer of fine wines while I represent the not un-illustrious Tallhelm's Caravaneers, which traverses the length of the continent and has dreams of expansion which become increasingly more likely by the day." He motions towards the Corvi. "Supply." His hand then dips back to indicate himself. "Distribution." His hands then spread wide, as though to encompass the entirety of the world around them, or at the very least the entirety of the people who inhabit it. "Demand!" His smile then is white and dazzling, not the least bit marred by the remnants of his breakfast - being a careful eater has some advantages. "What do you say?"

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

After hearing the dwarf's testimony, the drowess figured that was going to be the best lead she was going to find today. It was a pity the populace was so skittish about dueling, but, she reminded herself, this was not Vayentsia. Perhaps there was an arena of sorts, for more structured conflicts. However, that was a task for another day.

Laelaer made her way down to the waterfront, looking for the warship the dwarf had described. Was it still in port, she wondered. What was her kinswoman (or man) doing aboard a warship? The war bit made sense. Her kind were known to be masterful tacticians and skilled fighters, but, as a race who lived almost entirely underground, they likely would not readily take to the sea. Most wouldn't even know how to swim. She had only learned because it was necessary in Vayenstia's criss-crossing waterways. Once miss-step would send you into a canal.

She recalled her crossing with some unease. Below decks was so disorienting, the way the entire room moved without any way to get your bearings. Enclosed spaces like that should remain solid, like a cavern, or at least a good building. Above deck wasn't much better. It was hard to keep your footing if you weren't careful. It hadn't taken her long to adapt, of course, still it wasn't something she'd like to do all of the time.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

"That it is. Of course, we have the caravan guards, but I doubt most of them compare to you." Cecily laughs lightheartedly, apparently none too concerned by his plan to use the chits. "Don't worry about me making a fuss. I don't know if I can say the same about the others, though. I'll leave it up to you to be persuasive."

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

Leaving the markets for the ports, Laelaer noticed that, while present, the guards here were fewer in number. Many of the ships at dock appeared to be warships, with the rest being large trading vessels of one sort or another. Sailors scurried over them like rats, working on the rigging or effecting repairs. Stormgate had extensive facilities for shipbuilding and repair down at the far end of the waterfront, Lael could see. Distantly, the sails of another ship marked its imminent arrival to port. Searching for one ship amongst all this would be an intimidating task, especially when the dwarf hadn't known the ship's name.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can make a search test to try and find the ship manually, or a gather information test to ask around and see if anyone else knows something.

Thorus and Cecily

Leaving the keep behind, Thorus and Cecily found themselves wandering back through the markets.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any further plans from here?

Glaffin

"Some of each, I think. Do fifteen of whichever you feel is the more useful one, and five of the other. I'll trust your judgement on that." Pressing the small purse of gold into Glaffin's hands with a smile, the other priest ushered him out. "Ask for Brother Eric, when you return. Someone will fetch me."

Alec

"Five for each? Alright, friend." Alec's new best friend grinned at him, patting his own increasingly fat coin purse. "Lemme think. Finley's on the waterfront, sure, but there's a couple others mostly operate up in the warehouse districts. Cutpurses, and the like, nothing quite so classy, you see? There's Miss Peggy, but she's mostly low-end pickpockets. Not worth thinking much about. Sam the Mask is from up north. I think Sam's short for something a lot longer. He's a bit rough around the edges, if you take my meaning, but he's acclimatised to the city well enough. Made his name running protection for merchants an' things, with a little gambling on the side is what I hear. Probably about as close to legitimate business as any of the lot. Like, actual legitimate."

That remark came with another grin. The thug was clearly enjoying being paid for what he undoubtedly felt was only marginally useful information. "Oh, and then there's ol' James Tyler. Nobody's seen him for a while, though. He lost a lot of territory when Sam moved in. Scary lookin' bastard, with a wide black hat. Used to pop up outta nowhere when collection was due, and leave just as quick. Figure he's dead or moved on, and lucky enough for us. Real good about sneaking around, that one was."

Indrys

"Now, that's an interesting enough proposition. Save me from making the crossing over from Altyria, though I confess travel holds its own appeal. Tallhelm, you said? He'd be the owner of the caravan you operate with?" Altio's own breakfast had long since vanished, the elf having evidently mastered the art of talking while eating.

"I'm sure something could be worked out. I sell to you, at a small discount based on number of units, less shipping. From there, it would be your business to see the wine distributed, and the name upheld, hm?"
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this was quite the predicament. Who would have thought there were so many of the accursed things?! Laelaer begins searching for the most likely warship. She'll ask a few minor questions, but doesn't rely on it greatly. If all else fails, she could call out in her native tongue and see if anyone answers. Specifically, the traditional greeting used by travelers meeting in the caverns, one of welcoming hospitality, edged with prudent caution. It was a lyrical phrase in archaic Elvish, likely confusing anyone who was not already familiar with it.

Spoiler
    Show

Search (1d20+6)[18]

Gather Info (1d20+1)[19]

~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

9. - Top - End - #759

Lizardfolk

Mental note: This man cannot keep secrets. Don't tell him anything remotely useful.

For the three names, as promised, Alec pays him fifteen more gold coins. A total of either three or four potential allies/likely competitors (he hardly trusts his informant's judgment of Peggy, who is quite possibly worth a lot of thinking about; Alec's initial gut feeling is that she might be into the information trade too, given how many rumors wind up floating around at the bottom rungs of society) sounds about right for a city with such a powerful and aggressive government. Now he'd like to know how to contact all of them without being drug off down an alley by their guards and stabbed a few times, but that's not something he trusts this man to know--not so much because Alec thinks he'd give bad information (very possible for something requiring critical planning, though) but rather because he doesn't want word to get around that he plans on meeting with the bosses. That's a good way to get abducted for questioning by short-tempered people with sharp knives, eager to find out why he's so curious. No, better to figure all that out through other channels. Channels which're less likely to tell everything they've heard to all their friends. Hopefully the thug won't have any rumors to spread around besides that he met a merchant who's easy to impress and doesn't want to make trouble with the locals.

Come to think of it, that might bring Sam running with his protection racket.

This fountain seems about tapped. For his last parlor trick, though, Alec wonders if he can trick him into giving away something that isn't so widely known, without realizing he's been manipulated into it. Who ever said greed wasn't useful?

"All very nice. Well, thank you for your help," he says. "I think I can avoid angering anyone now." The note of conclusion hangs in the air...unless the other man can tempt him with more secrets to keep earning money.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[25]

By my count, we're up to 35 coins.

~ Sophistemon

10. - Top - End - #760

"Fair 'nuff." He waits a long enough time before cracking his knuckles idly, so that it (hopefully) isn't misinterpreted as a threat. He surveys the market before him. "Alright, well, I got nothin' left I wanted ta do today. I reckon folks'll be easier ta find at night, when they all come back ta some inn er another." He sniffles and thumbs his nose. "So, if there was anythin' ya wanted ta do this afternoon, I'm all ears."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not from me, nope.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

The people down by the docks were more helpful about actual locations than the dwarf had been. Many of them had seen the elf in question, and were able to point Laelaer towards the warship. Once she had an idea of where it was, the Vengeance was a lot easier to find. It was a large ship in the Rannish style, armed with heavy ballistae on the main deck. Rows of cannon ports lined what must have been the lower decks. Laelaer was able to count them as she approached the ship, standing on the docks to look up at the tower masts of the great vessel. The Vengeance carried two rows of ten guns on each side. Combined with the ballistae, it would be a fearsome ship to fight, and it was not even the largest one she had passed. Calling up to the deck prompted the sailors nearest the rail to lean over and wave. Lael caught snatches of their conversation, drifting down over the wind.

"What do you think she wants?"

"Don't know. Something with Hariel, maybe? Sure looks like another drow..."

Alec

"Hey, going so soon?" The other man looked like he was thinking hard, trying to come up with a reason for Alec to keep feeding him gold. "I got one more for you. Not a boss, just somethin' good to know, eh? You're a merchant. You just sell fish, or you maybe in the market for other stuff? Nothin' illegal, like, just things you can't get nowhere else?"
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2013-03-26 at 09:25 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #762

Lizardfolk

This was a matter he'd planned to discuss with Tallhelm already, to find out what Stormgate offered that could be sold elsewhere for a nice profit. Alec is certainly willing to get his hands on rare items. Possibly even for his own use, depending on what the informant has in mind.

His fingers dip into his belt pouch. "That does sound interesting."

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #763

"As you wish, Brother Eric. And if you have need of a smith or an alchemist while I'm in Stormgate, don't hesitate to call on Glaffin in the district my caravan has stopped. I could not hope for a more pleasant man to work for than yourself." Pleasant and profitable it seems, but now's not the time. After being ushered out, Glaffin will head back to said caravan and see if he can't spot a few of his fellow merchants he knows specialize in exotic inks and other stationery supplies. It's time to get to paying work!
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

14. - Top - End - #764

While his nod of agreement is politely solemn, on the inside Indrys is quaking with a sort of excitement that he can barely contain. This time, when he smiles at the other elf sitting opposite of him at the table, the grin is genuine. "Yes," he says. He has to struggle to keep his voice measured and serious. "Yes, you understand exactly. Through our caravan, your wines would reach currently under-tapped markets, and the quality and prestige of your beverages would of course be extensively advertised and competitively priced. After all, neither of our businesses want people mistaking your products for something of a quality equal to that of the local tavern-swill." His eyes twinkle with legitimate mirth. "Now, being that the caravan is under the sole direction of mister Willam Tallhelm - a good enough fellow, I think that you'll agree - all business decisions of a certain magnitude must be cycled through him. I would be happy - honored, really - to introduce you to him and to serve as an intermediary in the resulting negotiations. I know him well, and I will endeavor to ensure that both of our parties are fairly compensated by any and all ventures undertaken."

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

Laelaer waves back to the sailors and calls up in the common tongue. "Please inform my kinsman that Lady Oussiryn kindly seeks his hospitality."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

"Alright," came the response, after only a moment. "Be a couple minutes."

It turned out to be less. Before long, Laelaer was looking up at the face of another dark elf. A male, leaning over the railing easily. He looked like he'd been a sailor for a while, reminding Lael a little of Alec with his general build.

"Afternoon," he said. "I'm told you're looking for me. Come on up. What can I do for you?"

Alec

"I know a guy, goes by Stonehelm. He's a dwarf runs a little shop in the back of the markets. Finds some interesting things, he does, and of course there's his own work. I think he imports some of his stock from Altyria, so if you want something tough to get over here, that's a good start."

Glaffin

"Of course," Brother Eric nodded.

For Glaffin, knowing already where to look, it was a simple matter to find the supplies he needed to begin. It might take him a little while to actually finish writing all the scrolls, but he had time.

Indrys

"It would be better, I think, for you to bring him here for the introductions. I've other business I need to attend to today. If you'll give me one moment, here..." Altio stood up, leaving the room for a moment. He returned shortly, carrying a rolled piece of paper. "Give this to your Master Tallhelm. I'll be busy most of today, but I'm free to entertain in the evening."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

17. - Top - End - #767

Lizardfolk

That sounds a little vague to Alec, but he won't lose anything by having a look; at worst, he can pass the information to Glaffin, if he finds nothing he wants. Either way, it's worth paying the informant just to set up future business. He hands over five more coins.

"I'll go browse around. You've been helpful; I think I can find work for you in the future, if you like. Maybe making introductions. If I need to do something in Finley's territory, or Sam's, could you set up a meeting?" Alec doubts the other man's particularly trusted by the bosses. Still, he's known. That usually counts for something, if only because the other criminals think they can find him and cut all his fingers off if the deal goes horribly wrong.

~ Sophistemon

18. - Top - End - #768

Glaffin will spend six hours once he's acquired the necessary supplies, stopping only because he's finished his tenth scroll, but grateful for the respite as his hand was beginning to cramp and put him in danger of making sloppy runes if he were to go further. Even sloppy ones would be serviceable, but only if they were legible to the person he was selling them to.

He decided to make half of today's spells of vigor, and the other half of faith healing. Tomorrow they will all be of vigor, and though the work will be more tedious that way it felt right getting the smaller batch done first in case the priest had unexpectedly immediate need of the variety.

And since he's made them that way, there is no sense delaying their delivery. If he can get at least a partial payment then he can buy the rest of the inks needed for the next batch first thing in the morning to save him the trip there and back. He'll head back to the chapel now and look for the first monk he can find to ask for Brother Eric's presence.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    For my own book-keeping, Glaffin gained 100gp, spent 125gp, and used up 10 of his crafting XP making 5 scrolls of Lesser Vigor and 5 scrolls of Faith Healing.

Added note, I'll be away over Easter, so if we move to a new day in character feel free to delay my actions in that day until Sunday/Monday when I'll be at least partially back. Glaffin will spend the next morning making the other 10 scrolls and deliver them to the Brother.

19. - Top - End - #769

Indrys nods, acquiescing. "Yes," he says. "Of course, that sounds perfectly reasonable." Indrys stays at the table while the other elf goes to fetch the necessary paperwork, casually toying with the remnants of his breakfast for a few moments before quietly motioning for a server to approach him so that he might pay. When the Corvi returns bearing documentation, Indrys takes the proffered paper gently with his thin-fingered hand and smiles benignly. "Excellent," he says. "Truly excellent. I will deliver this to Mister Tallhelm personally, and with great haste." He slips the paper into an interior pocket of his coat and pats it carefully. "Tell me, my friend. At what time tonight would you be most accepting of a visitation? I would hate to bother you while you were in the midst of other business."

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Laelaer strode up the gangplank to board the ship. At the top she turned and nodded respectfully to Hariel, repeating her traditional greeting. She pauses to allow the male to respond in kind, if he chose, before continuing. "It is a rare thing to see our kind in the world above, and when I heard of you here, I thought I might come to meet you. I am Laelaer Oussiryn."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

"Hariel Darellas," the other drow replied, bowing slightly and returning the greeting. "It's a rare pleasure to see one of my own, I agree."

Like Laelaer, the other drow wore protective goggles to shield his eyes from the sun. His were not so well made as her own, she noticed. He'd probably had to fashion them himself, or comission them from a human artisan. "I regret that I don't own this ship, or I might properly show you around. As it is, if there's to be a tour we'll have to avoid the Captain's Quarters."

Alec

"Alright, that sounds good. Always good to have paying work. I could probably get you a meeting with Finley, but the others, I don't know so well. Of 'em, sure, but I don't get invited to parties. Hey, been plenty good talking to ya. Have yourself a nice day, friend." Jingling his newly-expanded coin purse with a grin, the thug sat and finished his meal while Alec and Adrian left the Gull.

Indrys

"Any time in the evening will be fine. I've no other entertainment lined up for tonight, though I suggest you not leave it too late. A man needs time for his meditations, you know."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #772

Lizardfolk

Before exiting, Alec makes sure he knows how to find his new agent (within reason; presumably the man won't want to give out his home address) and pays for their collective meals. Then he gets to work on a different sort of negotiations.

"Well?" he asks Adrian. Surely the boy has something to say after all that.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, 40 gold coins? And how much was the food/drink?

Later On

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Ghar and Zergling have been made to wait too long already, and Slii is headed that way; let's go ahead and kick off a few nighttime conversations.

Following the walk back to the caravan, and perhaps some sitting around at the wagon to see if any customers drop by, Alec starts hunting down his companions. He needs to see just about all of them; a few, ideally, should be spoken to with some privacy.

Cecily falls into that category. She also requires a careful approach; Alec isn't sure how she'll feel about his proposal. Once he sees her, he begins with small talk. "Good evening," he waves. "How're you liking the city so far? Have you been here before?"

He doubts the god of war will have any problems with a different plan, so he's more direct with Thorus. He nods to the man, then tilts his head off to the side, indicating that they should walk. "I wanted to talk to you about a job," he gets right to the point.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2013-03-30 at 08:24 PM.

~ Sophistemon

23. - Top - End - #773

Later On

Thorus was taking inventory, making sure all his coins and belongings were safe at the caravan when the pirate found him. When Alec spoke, Thorus put his (non-essential; never go somewhere without at least a knife on you) things away and then began walking at a conversational pace. "What'r ya thinkin'? I'll have a use fer some more coin pretty soon." He wonders what the pirate could be thinking of. If he's asking him alone, it's probably under the table, at least where Tallhelm is concerned. Not that he minded - as long as it paid for his soon-to-be debt to the group, he'd be satisfied. And he wouldn't exactly mind turning a profit, either.

24. - Top - End - #774

Lizardfolk

Thorus

"I'm thinking of meeting with someone soon. Probably in a few days, or more likely nights. I'll give you a definite date when I know more. Regardless, I don't yet trust these people, so I'd like to bring along a bodyguard. Maybe two; I plan to mention this to Laelaer too when I see her. Hopefully you'll just have to stand around without any trouble, but I'd rather have help and not need it than the other way 'round. I'd pay you for the time either way, of course. And depending on how the meeting goes, there might be more money to be made in the future."

Short, simple, and to the point.

~ Sophistemon

25. - Top - End - #775

Alec

Straightforward. Thorus liked that. The complete lack of a stated motive or goal obviously meant Alec wanted to keep the whole thing under wraps, which piqued the warrior's curiosity, but he knew better than to openly investigate. "Easy enough. Count me in." He pauses. Was now the best time to ask? "Speakin' of which, I need ta ask ya somethin', regardin' the chits we acquired in Seabreak. I found someone who'll give me a refresher course with a sword. Problem is, that sorta thing costs more coin than I've got. I can do this one'a two ways; pay 'im with chits now, before the job, and have a real weapon on me in case things go bad, or wait 'till after and pay 'im with my spoils, if they're big enough." He sniffles. "I was plannin' ta ask the whole group if I could take most'a the chits, but, ahh, I get the impression this favor of yours ain't exactly common knowledge, an' strictly speakin' it's a shared resource.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2013-03-31 at 12:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #776

Lizardfolk

Thorus

While he has no problem loaning Thorus the money even if it's more than he should earn for one night of bodyguarding, there's the minor issue that, depending on how much he needs, it could raise the question of how Alec got such funds. There're only so many times he can attribute his wealth to selling fish before people start to get suspicious.

"I don't mind letting you use my share of the chits, or helping talk the others into doing the same. What's the cost, though? Maybe I can just pay you in advance. If it runs more than this job should be worth, then you could owe me another one in the future."

~ Sophistemon

27. - Top - End - #777

Alec

"When I was in the business, this sorta thing ran about two hundred crowns. Ain't heard anythin' yet that'd say otherwise." Thorus shrugs. "I'm willin' ta part with about fifty er sixty crowns outta my own pocket as well, though obviously I'd prefer not ta do that if I don't have to."

28. - Top - End - #778

Lizardfolk

Thorus

That's a fair bit more than he can rationalize having earned down on the docks. On the other hand, this could be a good chance to see how morally flexible Thorus is. He's already showing signs of leaning in that direction by not asking questions about the upcoming job; if he's willing to take this much gold without demanding to know where it came from, then that tells Alec something useful. Besides, what's the point of coin if you don't spend it?

"I believe I can round up that much tonight," he says after some thought. "And you can owe me a favor beyond the bodyguard business. It'll probably be more of the same, I expect." His attention strays momentarily and, on a whim, he adds, "Oh, and one more thing: take Adrian with you to your training session. If you don't want to deal with him, then you can just put him off to the side and let him watch, but I'd appreciate it if you answer any questions he has. He'd be useful, though. Could bring you drinks and such, help with your equipment, and so on. You could even show him the basics of using a sword, if you like." It'll be a good lesson for the boy.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2013-03-31 at 10:06 PM.

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is an impressive vessel, I must say." Laelaer compliments. "If a tour would not cause much trouble, I would love to see more of it. I noticed quite a few similar ships in the harbor, here. There's not trouble brewing, is there?" She asks, curious, and secretly hoping that it might be the case. Where there was conflict there were opportunities for someone with skills such as hers.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

30. - Top - End - #780

The gray elf nods his agreement. "Absolutely," he concurs. "Very well then, my friend. Mister Tallhelm and I will endeavor to meet with you in the early evening." He extends a hand in a newly-universal symbol of business dealings. "I would like to thank you for considering this proposal, and I have no doubt that good things will come of it. Thank you, too, for dining with me. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the company of my peers. The humans, they aren't bad, you understand, but they lack a certain..." He searches his mind for the proper phrase in Common, but cannot recall it. He switches then to Elvish and utters a string of musical sounds that might roughly translate to "I-cannot-say-what." He smiles at the Corvi, and his entire face is alight with good humor.