Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 1169
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Cecily likewise ignores the wagon in favour of the surrounding area. She's heard enough similar stories to guess that the wagon is probably bate. Her eyes flick back and forth agitatedly. She's not well suited for combat she knows, but they need everyone they can to fight and she knows it.

    Out of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check: (1d20+2)[22]



  2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    In contrast, Alec stares across the distance at the carriage (everyone else seems to be covering the hills, after all). A handful of bandits could be hiding behind the wreckage, waiting to attack investigators, draw attention, and distract the caravan while the rest of the band rides in from the side or rear to attack in surprise. Essentially the opposite of what the merchants are planning.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot: (1d20+5)[20]

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Before the group sets out on their mission, Indrys spends his time fretting about between the various wagons, checking on his belongings, preparing his gear, and mentally reviewing his catalog of spells and incantations. When it's time for them to leave, he takes a few crucial seconds to compose himself before mounting a horse and following along with the others. His back is ramrod straight, his face grim, and his knuckles even paler due to their gripping the reins. It would appear the the elf is no fan of horseback. As the group move their mounts into the concealing dust kicked up by the wagons, Indrys' lips curve downward into a frown as he considers the damage being done to his clothing; the dust and grit might stain his garments beyond repair, and they would be expensive to replace. As they pass the disabled wagon, a likely place of ambush, the elf casts his eyes hither and thither, seeking out signs of trouble. If we're to be attacked, he muses, it would be here. He draws one of his favorite spells to the forefront of his mind and keeps it there, much as in the manner of an arrow knocked and ready on the string of a bow.

    Out-of-Character
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling a Spot check. Taking into account Thorus' bonus, it's a +7.

    (1d20+7)[26].
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    At first, the hills around the broken wagon appeared to be deserted. On the right side of the road, they dropped off in a smooth slope to the ocean, bare apart from a few stands of tall grass. It would take a skilled man to hide there alone, forget a party of them. The ruined wagon offered slightly more opportunity, but it didn't seem to have been used. One of the axles had broken, putting it on an angle, and removing the most obvious spot as an option.

    That meant, if there were bandits, they'd be on the left side of the road. Squinting through the dust thrown up by the caravan as it continued to rumble forward, Indrys thought he could just make something out over the crest of one of the hills. Moments later, a flash of light told him he was right. The sun above had betrayed their enemies, reflecting off the metal of a weapon, or a buckle.

    That was why it was better to attack at night.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Pkay, everyone got awesome rolls, so here's what there is to see:

    You don't think there are bandits to the right, or in the wagon.
    The hills provide decent amounts of cover, but you've all seen something from three hills away. Basically, near where the broken wagon is. Not far to walk, not far at all for horses. I'll do a map later. What you can't tell is exactly how many somethings there might be. At least a dozen.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin gestures to where he's spotted the glint over a few hills, surprised at himself that he could have picked it up. He doesn't speak to his fellows, not wanting to give their position away should an errant breeze carry his words farther than intended.

    There's not much more he can do though, besides wait for the bandits to get overconfident and attack. Despite his heritage, he's woefully under-prepared to be a fighter, and has resigned himself to support the others as best as he can, and maybe whack a few of the louts over the head with his old rusty cudgel if they come too close.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus nods in acknowledgment to Glaffin. He grips his morningstar and shield, trying to keep a low profile. Keeping his eyes glued to the spot of the glimmer, he feels a familiar - and welcome - rush, preparing for the upcoming battle. He is very much looking forward to whacking some people over the head with a stick. A very heavy, spiked stick.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus was to get his wish soon, or hopefully soon. The caravan rumbled slowly forwards as their group picked its way slowly around the hills, their horses carefully avoiding rocks and divots as they made their way forwards. So far, no attack had been forthcoming. They could see their wagons through a gap between the hills. Tallhelm's wagon had already passed the broken one, when one of the guards riding along on horseback gave a shout. It sounded like Dayne.

    Rounding the last hill, the small group of infiltrators got a good view on what had caused the young man such alarm. Rising out from the grass at the top of the hill where they'd seen the flash were bandits, and lots of them. The boy's estimate hadn't been far off, if this was the reception they were getting. There were certainly more bandits than there were nearby guards; not knowing which part of the wagon train would get hit, Tallhelm had chosen to put two guards per wagon, plus a handful of outriders on spare horses. The bandits, on the other hand, had clustered together on the hill. Thorus saw shortbows and short swords, for the most part, though a few of them carried longbows. Behind the main group were three riding horses, including one with armour that looked better made than the rest. His sword was better made too, a long cavalry sabre that he had probably stolen hanging from his belt, complemented by a bow in his other hand.

    It looked like it would be a tough fight, but they had one advantage. The bandits, their attention focused on the caravan, hadn't seen them yet.

    Spoiler
    Show
    And battle is joined! You lot get one round of actions as a surprise round, since the bandits are apparently as ignorant of your tactics as they are bad at hiding.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus looks back at his companions and murmurs, "I say we take out that fella in the back first. Disorganize 'em." Without waiting for an answer, he spurs his horse into a gallop, sending it towards the armored figure. As the beast nears his target, he swings his morningstar downwards, letting the horse add its momentum to the blow. He is vaguely aware of the fact that he is the first to join the fray, but if that becomes a problem, well, he'll burn that bridge when he comes to it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus spurs his horse to charge the bandit leader, suffering a -2 penalty to AC until his next turn.
    Attack roll: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage roll (if applicable): (1d8+2)[10]

    Based on the previous dialogue about the horses, I assume I don't need to roll a Ride check?
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Indrys stares, his mouth gaping open, as Thorus rides off to engage in single combat with the bandits' supposed leader. Declaring your intent to charge into battle and then proceeding to charge into battle did not count as a plan! "You--!" he sputters. And then, "He--!" It's at around that moment that his brain kicks in, having recovered enough from the shock and surprise to do so, and he comprehends Thorus' intent. "He's right," he says to the others. "Attack their rear and draw them away from the wagons!" With that, the elf spurs his own horse and follows after the bloodthirsty Thorus. When his mount brings him within one-hundred and ten feet of the more heavily armored bandit, Indrys reaches into a pouch at his belt and retrieves a pinch of fine sand and three dried rose petals. Rubbing it all together and staining his fingertips in the process, the magician recites a quick, musical incantation before directing the resulting spell towards Thorus' intended target. If the magic has the intended effect, the brutish bandit should find himself overcome by an overwhelming drowsiness, bringing an untimely and yet undeniably overdue end to the rapscallion's reign of rampant ne'er-do-wellism.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Move: Indrys will move his horse towards the Bandit Leader, until said man is within the 110ft range of Indrys' spell.
    2. Standard: Indrys will cast sleep on the Bandit Leader.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2012-06-15 at 11:59 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin swears aloud as he spurs his horse forward. Damned heroics will get one of those two killed if they aren't careful.

    It looks like the first two have the battle with the leader well in hand at the moment, but if they aren't careful they'll be rushed and surrounded before the reinforcements from the wagons can surmount the hill to distract them. Looks like he'll have to do something foolhardy himself if they're going to make it out in one piece.

    So he'll spur his mount into a charge, hardly knowing what he's doing as he does, but unhooking his own morningstar from the loop on his belt and swinging it in a low arc as the mare reins up next to his target. He's aimed for the closest bandit to his position, the one just barely on the edge of the hill, which will hopefully draw some attention to him that would otherwise go towards Thorus.

    Glaffin could almost appreciate the humor of the situation. He hadn't wanted violent attention directed his way so much since that fiery redhead he'd had his eye on took a drunken go at kicking him in the goolies and ended up tumbling in a heap with him instead.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glaffin is moving 85ft in a straight line towards the southernmost bandit and attacking with his morningstar on a charge.

    AC for the turn: 11
    Current Health: 8

    Attack:(1d20+2)[12]
    Damage:(1d8)[6]
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Celily flounders for a moment as the others spring into action. She looks after them for a moment, debating what to do. She can use her sword, but she's no fighter. She grits her teeth, and spurs her house forward.

    Unlike some of her companions, Cecily doesn't immediately join the fray. She stays back a ways and begins to sing. The song rings out across the battlefield. It speaks of great battles and greater victories, of proud warriors winning honor and glory. Her voice reaches into the hearts of her allies and bolsters their courage.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Current HP: 7

    Cecily will move forward 50 feet.
    She will use Inspire Courage.
    Last edited by Gulaghar; 2012-06-16 at 07:40 PM.



  12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The pirate isn't as quick to react as the rest, having half-closed his eyes and begun to mutter softly to himself. He continues his whispers as he kicks his horse into a charge like the others; were it not for the thundering hooves and hectic circumstances, a keen listener might recognize it as a prayer. Unsurprisingly, Alec isn't asking for mercy or peace.

    He doesn't ride all the way to the leader, but instead joins Glaffin, not so much to protect anyone else, but rather because he sees a serious problem with centering himself between the collected bandits. If he'd had his way, he would've directed the group to wait until their enemies had charged to meet the wagons, and then rushed in. Their original plan only works so long as the bandits don't just turn and finish this threat before redirecting their attention to the caravan as a whole; now Alec can only hope that the other guards will be kind enough to drop what they're doing and rush to join the battle. A more cautious (and perhaps saner) man would've hung back entirely. A more cautious man also wouldn't be looking to end many lives today in the service of a dark and terrible god.

    If possible, Alec puts himself on the opposite side as Glaffin, to flank their common enemy. Either way, as he leans over the neck of his horse to lash out with his sword, forearm rotating to twist the blade, he whispers a last, short phrase to the other man.

    "Darkness take your soul."

    Spoiler
    Show

    From my reading of the SRD, it looks like you don't have to attack the person directly in front of you to make a charge work, so if Glaffin goes for the bandit's back, Alec could end his charge at the front (or vice versa), leaving the south square empty. Maybe. I can definitely say that at this low of a level, the flanking bonus would be golden for both of them. There's also the matter of tasty, tasty sneak attack bonus damage.

    I'm not including that bonus, though, or rolling SA. If Destro does like the idea, then hopefully his low-rolling dice will be kinder to me than they are to him. =P

    The bonuses from Inspire Courage are included, since Celily acts before Alec. Along with the charge bonus, naturally.

    Attack: (1d20+5)[9]

    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Feeling the satisfying thunk travel up his arm from the bandit leader's gaping wound, Thorus lets loose a feral cry of victory. He scans the surrounding area, taking in what his allies are doing. Deciding the bandit leader is wounded enough, possibly slain, he spurs his horse to bring him closer to the third mounted bandit, and swings his morningstar in a downward stroke.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I've been informed it would be more convenient for Destro if I posted again before he updated, since I'm at the top of the initiative order.

    Thorus and his horse move adjacent to the third mounted bandit, the only one who has not been engaged in combat yet. Thorus then attacks it.

    Attack: (1d20+2)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

    Additionally, as a Swift action (not a free action; I was mistaken), Thorus changes his active aura to Vigor: Allies within 30 feet gain fast healing 1, but only when below half of their maximum health.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus charged forward, spurring his horse towards the likely leader of the bandits. The man barely had time to turn his head before Indrys' spell hit him, forcing his eyelids to drop of their own accord. Moments later, Thorus smashed him from his saddle, sending his horse fleeing. Alec and Glaffin had chosen a different target, singling out one of the solitary bandits closer by. The two bore down on him, their mounts' hooves churning up the ground. Alec's blow was mis-timed by a hair, his sword whistling through the empty space above the bandit's head: he had ducked, but the movement took him right into the path of Glaffin's morningstar. The force of the impact sent him sprawling, blood staining the grass on the hill.

    Behind them all, Cecily had pulled up her horse next to Indrys, her voice ringing across the battlefield. The caravan was still moving slowly, the guards having only just revealed themselves. They gathered their crossbows hurriedly, loading the heavy weapons as quickly as they could. It wouldn't be fast enough for an immediate volley, but their appearance combined with the death of the leader had given those who remained pause. They were splitting their attention between two groups, barbed arrows like the one Dayne had retrieved beginning to fly through the air as they reacted to the unexpected charge from behind. Glaffin had to bit back a curse as one found a crack in his armour, burying itself in his leg. It would be Tharius' own job to get that back out, but the immediate concern was Alec. Both the arrows aimed at him struck home, black-feathered shafts piercing his armour and kncoking him off his horse. He hit the ground insensate and rolled downhill, finishing face up with his eyes closed.

    One of the bandits was clearly a spellcaster of some sort, arcane words spilling from his lips as he ran for the protection of the far group. He had clearly been expecting to hang back and provide backup, but Thorus' sudden appearance and subsequent attack had forced him much closer to the wagons. His spell worked despite the armour he was wearing, the ground underneath the horses pulling the lead wagon growing suddenly slick. The animals struggled to keep their footing on the unexpectedly slippery surface, neighing in fear and surprise; the one on the left fell, screaming, as a bolt from one bandit pierced its neck. Willam fought to control the one that remained standing, pulling hard on the reins. It was all he could do to get the wagon stopped before it rolled over the fallen horse, tangled as it was in its harness. That was the worst of the damage, though. Fear or surprise had made the bandits sloppy, many of their arrows failing to find a mark. One sailed past Dayne as the guard wheeled his horse around behind the protective bulk of the lead wagon, sending an arrow of his own back in reply. It thudded into the dirt inches from its target, eliciting a cry of alarm. An echoing cry came from behind them, as Thorus' morningstar sent another bandit to an early grave. The dragon shaman turned to look for the last enemy horseman, only to find the man's weapon descending towards him. Smashing the blow aside with his shield, he turned to face this latest threat.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-20 at 12:51 PM.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin bites back an epithet and nudges his horse forward just a bit so it is facing Alec's own before dismounting by his wounded comrade's side. The adrenaline pumping through him prevents him from noticing any pain the shaft in his own thigh for now, although it is no less urgent, and he knows it will have to be dealt with immediately once the greater concerns are taken care of.

    Chanting under his breath with a somewhat unsteady voice, he touches Alec's brow and discharges a prayer of healing into him, hoping it will be enough to rouse him from this state. As much as he hates to think this way, they need moving bodies if they're going to survive the next few seconds.

    And just where the heck are those guards? Glaffin thought they'd be ready for something like this. He clearly wasn't.

    If he sees Alec rousing, he'll advise the sailor to stay low so that any more arrows have a hard time of hitting him, "Stay down for now, alright?"

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glaffin is making his horse take a 5ft step forward and then dismounting into a space adjacent to Alec as his move action.

    Then he's expending his Unseen Servant spell to cast CLW onto Alec as his standard action.

    Since Glaffin and Alec have their horses between them and the archers, they have a +4 AC against any more arrows.

    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[6]

    AC: 13 (melee), 17 (ranged)
    HP: 2
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2012-06-20 at 01:55 PM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    It takes a considerable effort for Cecily to convince herself to move toward the fray. This is no time to be a coward, no matter how unprepared she is for this kind of fighting. When an arrow whizzes over her head she knows she has to move. At least she can do something if they're within the reach of her sword. As she approaches the fight she keeps up her singing. It's the least she can do to aid her companions.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Cecily moves forward twenty five feet and to the right five feet.
    Standard action: She maintains Inspire Courage.

    Current HP: 7



  17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The gray elf gets the extreme pleasure of seeing the bandit leader's head droop into slumber before it is caved in - Bursting open rather like an overripe melon, he muses - by Thorus' mighty strike. "I knew that we'd make a good team," he murmurs, if only for his own ears to hear, and then feels another pang of guilt (which is an unfamiliar emotion) for having treated his new ally with earlier disrespect. Deciding to make it up to his new friend by proving himself to be a valuable addition to the caravan, Indrys spurs his horse, urging the beast to bring them closer to the enemy. The elf's mind is whirring as he calculates important variables in his head. The spell's maximum range is fifteen feet, expanding outwards from me in a convex cone-shape. If I'm to get as many enemies in its area of effect as possible, I need to position myself... here! As before, when they were attempting to restrain the thieving child, Indry's slim-fingered hands dart into the interior pockets of his coat and retrieve multiple pinches of differently-colored sands and powders. Thus armed, the magician thrusts his hands forward, towards the enemy, and recites a spell.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Move Action: to position Indrys at an optimal point on the map, where his spell (a fifteen foot cone) can affect the most enemies possible.
    2. Standard Action: to cast Color Spray (Will DC15) on a group of bandits.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2012-06-21 at 01:10 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus snarled in defiance to his opponent, and whirled his morningstar in an arc to try to catch him on the side of the head. He was idly aware of being alone with his foe in the back - after dispatching him, hopefully the guards will have joined the battle and he would be able to catch the bandits in the back.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus attacks the bandit next to him.

    Attack: (1d20+2)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The caravan ground to a halt, its passage down the road blocked by the lead wagon. One horse was still on the ground, crying in pain, while Willam was trying frantically to get it back on its feet. The caravan owner wiped his forehead, taking hole of the reins with both hands and trying to direct the wounded animal to stand back up. Its cries were unnerving the other horses; they stamped and snorted, shuffling back and forth in their harnesses and rocking the wagons. At last, the caravan guards returned fire, resting the stocks of their crossbows on the wooden beams of the wagons for added stability. A series of shots sounded in rapid succession, the reliable weapons sending a flurry of steel towards the hill. Some of the shots missed, sailing past their targets or adding to the collection protruding from the broken wagon. Others struck home, pitching their targets to the ground and eliciting nervous looks from the other bandits. Already, things were going badly for them. One of the outriders drove the point home, spurring his horse forward and leaning down from the saddle to strike one of the bandits sheltered behind the wagon. The man's head rolled away, his body dropping to the ground. Moments later, a storm of return fire from panicking bandits peppered the horseman. He tensed, pulling the reins, and his horse reared. Tumbling from the saddle to land in a heap, the guard lay still where he had fallen.

    Behind the furious contest of archery, Indrys rode forward, pulling powders from a pouch and raising his hand. In a flash of multicoloured light, one of the bandits fell, knocked insensate by the magic. His companion raised his bow, sending a shot at the elf as he backed away. It struck home, raising a bloom of pain in Indry's leg. His display of magic had served to incapacitate one bandit, but it had also earned him some unwanted attention. A bolt of magical force slammed into him, directed by the bandit spellcaster. Secure amidst the largest concentration of remaining bandits, the man was looking intently at Indrys, eager to see if his spell had finished the job.

    Barely thirty feet away, Thorus' morningstar whirled, his target ducking under the swing and retaliating with a badly aimed stab that didn't even scratch the ex-soldier's armour. The other bandits, unfortunately, were doing considerably better. Confident that their friend was keeping the enemy horseman busy, and that the sorcerer would deal with Indrys, the three with crossbows took aim at the caravan once again. Bolts flew, thudding into their targets and sinking deep. One of the guards - Cecily thought it looked like Erne - ducked, the metal shaft glancing off his helmet. Willam, contrary to his name, had not thought to bring a helmet, or didn't see the shot to duck. He slumped sideways in the driver's seat, the reins falling from his hands. Perhaps sensing its master's fall, or desperate to get away from its fallen brethren, one of the horses pulling the lead wagon jerked forwards, its harness snapping as it took flight. Dayne shouted, kicking his mount to give chase, but he never made it: the last of the black-feathered bolts arced over the wagon beside him, striking him square in the chest and hurling him from his horse.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin is beyond cursing now. The caravan's owner is down, and between him and the man stand two lowlifes, one of which had the misfortune to put an arrow in his leg.

    To put it simply, the dwarf is mad as all hell as he tugs his horse out of the way by the reins and runs up to his quarry, the closest bandit he can spot. He's flexing his knuckles and snorting like a mad bull, and without saying a word lashes out at the bandit's skull with a backhanded swipe, Cecily's song ringing in his ears.

    His intent is clear. All obstacles between him and William are going to be cleared, or he doesn't deserve to be called a cleric of Tharius.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glaffin is commanding his horse to move to M11/M12, out of the way, then walking up to charging to M9, and making a single attack against the bandit in N8.

    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]

    AC:11
    HP:2

    Probably ill advised, but here goes nothing.

    Edit: I didn't know I had control of the horse without a handle animal check, but after confirming it with Destro the horse is moved, and Glaffin can charge. That attack roll should thusly work out to 13, at least.
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2012-06-22 at 08:47 PM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Cecily casts her gaze over the battlefield, looking for a good target. When she sees her friend moving toward the pair of bandits behind the wagon, her choice seems clear. Cecily kicks her horse forward in a charge, lifting her sword so it's point will meet her foe.

    OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cecily will charge at the bandit on N7, ending up in M7 and L7 herself.

    Attack Roll: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

    HP: 7
    AC: 10



  22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus grows aggravated. His morningstar came down in a downward arc, in an attempt to end the fight with a head-blow. He growled deep in his throat, wanting dearly to dispatch the immediate foe and join the greater fray, or at least aid his allies.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus attacks the bandit in front of him.

    Attack:(1d20+3)[19]
    Damage:(1d6+3)[5]
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The guards had left the wagons now, or at least the ones in the rear had. They were advancing carefully towards the broken wagon, pausing only to send a couple more bolts at the remaining group of bandits once they had reached the relative safety of the wooden cover. Their noble efforts were matched by the guards still with the caravan, bolts flying. Two more bandits fell. Their numbers were severely diminished since the start of their attack, and their resolve was clearly weakening. The spellcaster and one of the others took flight, running north away from the battle as fast as their legs could carry them. Their shortbow-armed compatriot was quick to follow, sending one last arrow in Cecily's direction before turning to flee himself.

    Cecily, sitting atop her horse, pulled her rapier from the body of the bandit she had practically run down, blood dripping from the tip of the weapon to land in scattered droplets on the grass. Beside her, Glaffin smashed in the head of the other bandit, howling like a berserker. It was a clear shot to Tallhelm, now. It wouldn't take him more than a few moments to reach the caravan's owner, very possibly saving his life. Indrys had directed his horse up beside the wagon, shielding them from incoming fire. Behind the dwarf, there were sudden dual cries of pain.

    Cecily slumped in her saddle, and arrow protruding from the bard's chest. It looked like a bad hit, but she was still breathing as far as the dwarf could tell. Back closer to the last remaining bandits was Thorus, holding a bolt he had just pulled out of his armour. The tip of the projectile was stained red, but the ex-soldier seemed to be fine, for now.


    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d2)[2]
    (1d6)[6]

    again, 1 is out, 2 is in. I've also included a d6, in case she falls. She stays on the horse. Two in a row! This is progress.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-26 at 03:20 PM.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin snaps back to his senses as he hears Cecily cry out and sees her slump on her horse. Damn everything into the fires, he couldn't just leave her like that. Tallhelm would have to wait another few moments.

    Glaffin takes a small step towards Cecily, just far enough to touch her boot, dangling over the flank of the horse, as he utters a short prayer.

    This would have to be enough for now. At least she'd stop bleeding until he could tend to her properly.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glaffin is taking a 5ft step over to Cecily's position and then expending Detect Magic for a Cure Minor Wounds on her. It will heal her for 1, and stabilize her.

    AC: 13 (17 against ranged attacks from beyond Cecily's horse)
    HP: 2
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    In the midst of the dimming yet unexpectedly bloody battle, Alec finally manages to clear his head and realizes that the field looks a lot less organized and more screamy than he remembers it. Taking an arrow to the lung can do that. The two small favors he can count are that his horse has been astonishingly calm about the whole matter, rather than running for its life and leaving him exposed, and the bandits seem to be worse off than his team. Maybe not much worse, he can't help but think after a glance around, particularly at Cecily. But even without her song, the echos throb between his ears (actually, that could be the concussion he sustained while falling from his saddle).

    He peeks under his horse's neck to see both of the crossbowmen who put him on the ground at the onset of the fight. A sensible approach might be to stay where he is and let someone else take care of that problem, ideally someone who can't still taste iron when they breathe. On the other hand, that list is looking increasingly small. Not to mention that the bandits have already proven their skill at range, so he probably isn't much safer here than he is right in front of them.

    His skin looks ashen as he slips around his horse, jumps over the body of the man Cecily mostly-killed moments before, and makes a mad dash north. Mad in this case looks a lot like drunken weaving, given the way his skull pulses and his chest swirls with fire. Nevertheless, Alec leads with his short sword and tries to put some blood on it.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Moving to K2 and attacking, still including the bonuses from Inspire Courage (so glad that bard songs last for a few rounds even after the singing stops).

    Attack: (1d20+3)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2012-06-29 at 10:07 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus snapped the bolt in twain with his fist in defiance. It was only a wound to his pride, thankfully. He ground his teeth and spurred his horse towards the remaining two foes, who would pay dearly for their transgression. He howls a battle cry and swings his morningstar in a reckless but powerful arc, hoping to finish the fight.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus charges into K0-L0, attacking the furthest crossbowman.

    Attack: [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d8+1[/roll]

    The attack roll takes into consideration the charge and the bard song from earlier.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2012-06-29 at 08:06 PM.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Proxy Post Due to Server Issues:

    Indrys

    When his spell has a lackluster effect, in that it only defeats one of the two bandits that he had targeted, Indrys is more irritated than worried. The apt pupil that he is, there are more spells at his disposal – more than enough, surely, to take care of a few dirty highwaymen. The elf is midway through preparing another incantation when he is interrupted by thin, reedy whistle that terminates in a soft, meaty thunk that is followed immediately after by an agonizing pain in his left thigh. When he looks down to see the shaft of a poorly-constructed arrow sticking out of the bloodstained white fabric of his pants, Indrys begins to worry, but he was not yet panicked. The panic comes when he looks back up just in time to be struck in the chest by a bolt of magical energy that bypasses the protective layers of his coat and slams into him with the force of a crossbow bolt, knocking the wind from his chest and forcing him to the edge of consciousness. His spell now thoroughly forgotten, Indrys thinks only of escape. He was wounded, badly, and the dwarf Glaffin was a healer. One plus one equals survival, and so the bleeding magician turned his horse about and sent it charging back across the field of battle towards his new best friend.

    When he reaches the other spellcaster, his words are as jumbled as his thoughts: “Glaffin! Help me! It wasn’t… I can’t…!” His eyes are wide and staring, and he looks paler than usual, like he’s going to be sick.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  28. - Top - End - #148
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Alec broke from the cover of his horse, sword held in front of him. Caught in the middle of reloading, his target dropped the crossbow and drew a short knife, stepping to the side and attempting to parry the stroke. The pirate had enough experience with combat, sometimes on the decks of a rolling ship, to see the move coming. His blade struck home, transfixing the man and adding to the death toll. The ground shook as Thorus charged in at the second, his morningstar arcing over the bandit's head. Scrambling to get out of the way, the man failed to see the return stroke coming. The heavy weapon smashed him to the ground before he even had a chance to bring his own weapons to bear.

    Behind the melee, the guards weren't done yet. Bolts and arrows arced over the heads of Thorus and Alec, seeking the group of fleeing bandits, even as two of the guards rode past on borrowed horses. They were joined by the outrider from behind the caravan, who added his own arrow to the volley. Two of the distant bandits stumbled. One of them didn't get back up.

    "Ho, there!" The voice was another guard, paused in the act of clambering onto Alec's abandoned mount. He was looking at one of the bandits, on the ground right next to him. Struck cold by Indrys' spell, the man's chest was still rising and falling steadily. "This one's not dead yet."
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Ongoing


  29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Slow, shallow breaths follow Alec's minor but satisfying success; it hurts to suck in too much air too quickly. He turns north, then south, and decides not to join the pursuing party, on the grounds that someone just stole his horse and he's fairly sure he'd pass out if he tried to run after the others. Just staying on his feet is enough of a task for now, yet he doesn't sit to rest. The pirate tilts his head to give his sole victim a long, thoughtful look, as though he has something to say. It can wait for a moment; Alec doesn't stray far from the body, as though protective of it (maybe he's greedily laying a claim), but he does hobble over to Thorus's horse.

    He claps a hand against the man's knee and laughs, impressed. "Well done," he congratulates. "Will you be going with them?" He points, somewhat shakily, at the riding guards. "I don't think they'd turn down your help, not after this."
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2012-06-30 at 10:02 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin takes one look at Indrys' state, and looks past him to Tallhelm, who's slumped on the wagon unconscious. He looks stable for now, but is still in a worse state than Indrys, and there may be more wounded even farther out of sight.

    "If you can stand the pain, you'll be alright for the moment. There's only so much healing I can do, and if it'll save lives I'd rather spend it there than on relieving pain." Glaffin gestures to the bolt still embedded in his own leg, wincing as the movement shifts its point a bit and digs it in a bit further. Damned barbed shafts aren't going to do anyone any good when it comes to tending these wounds, especially if he has to do it when he has limited access to his god's favor.

    To the guard standing over the unconscious bandit, he tosses the spare coil of silk rope he picked up before the fight, "Tie him up tight then. Maybe he can tell us how many of his friends we missed once we wake him." Barring the two that got away, Glaffin is sure that this wasn't the entire camp worth of bandits. If retribution was coming for this, he'd rather know now.

    Then to Thorus, how seems to be in the middle of being coaxed to go off to fight by a sailor who's in nearly as bad a shape as Indrys, "I could use another pair of hands here if you know anything about healing! There's too many for just me to tend at once." The most important thing about field work is speed. If you don't stop the bleeding in everyone, it won't matter how fancy your stitches on the first guy looks when the second and third had to be buried under stones in a ditch.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •