Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1167
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin nods, a determined scowl setting into his features. He was walking away from a battlefield directly into another one and he wouldn't allow himself to forget that, or the fact that it was his own decision to wage battle on people he'd never met this time. Assuming the bandit is willing to cooperate as he says he is, Glaffin will retrieve a short piece of rope that will serve as temporary shackles for the time being.

    "Let's gather up those who are coming along and get moving then. We have some time before the guards get suspicious of their comrades not returning, since looting a caravan this size could take all day, but we shouldn't waste any of it." He coughs after the rather authoritative speech is done with, clearly unused to giving orders like that. One wonders where he might have picked it up from.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case Destro needs a Use Rope check for what Glaffin is doing, I'll put one here. Mechanically, he's trying to Entangle the bandit so he can't move quickly. It's up to Destro if it works, or this is just fluff.

    (1d20+13)[14] The roll includes the bonus for binding someone and for using silk rope, on top of Glaffin's dex bonus. Feel free to subtract the former from it if you decide it doesn't apply Destro.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    The bandit didn't resist, nor did he seem especially keen to test the strength of the rope. Maybe it was the knots keeping him in line, and maybe it was the threats. Whatever the case, he stood once bound, looking down at his ankles forlornly.

    Now, the only thing left was to wait for Alec to finish readying the horses.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    "You don't want unfriendly ones in a caravan this size. This many people might spook high-strung horses. Besides; the excitable breeds probably wouldn't like slowly dragging wagons all day."

    He tightens a saddle strap and moves onto the next mount. "Here: watch me set the rest of them up. It's a good skill to know, and you'll especially need it if you stay with us. To start, you..."

    For the best learning experience, Alec would prefer to have Adrian do the job himself with instructions and supervision, but letting him watch is the next best thing when they're in a hurry. The rest of the group already looks nearly ready. Maybe he'll let Adrian strip the horses down when they get back later in the evening.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Adrian watched with interest, trying to help by passing Alec the necessary equipment when needed. The guard Alec had sent returned with Ehrlson, and after that it was only a few more minutes before they had the horses ready to go. Glaffin gagged the bandit, and they set off over the hills. The last thing they saw of the Caravan before it was hidden by the terrain was Tallhelm, a tiny figure in the distance, running about organising things in complete disregard for his injury.

    Without the ability to speak, their captive had to guide them by hand gestures. It was slow going, leading the horses over the rough terrain, but fortunately the camp wasn't too far away. Thorus estimated a kilometer, or so, before they reached it. Or at least, the edge of it. It looked almost empty, but there were a number of boulders in the area that could have concealed bandits. The camp itself was simple structures, made of wood and canvas, able to be packed up and on the move in a very short amount of time, and no big loss if they needed to be left behind. Most of them looked like housing, with bedrolls layed out underneath, but there were a couple larger ones with indeterminate function.

    Creeping closer, the group heard voices. Three men, were sitting around a makeshift table behind one of the canvas structures, playing dice.

    "Ow long you figure till they get back?"

    "Damned if I know. Maybe they caught a big fish today."

    "Hope so. More to go around, eh?"
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus takes off his armor and begins donning the new set. He then begins inspecting his weapons and other gear, ensuring that everything is in order before the journey. After this is done, he strides over to a horse and clambers onto it, grabbing the reins and holding his head high. Though, while he waits, he does eye the bandit rather warily, keenly aware that honor is not the strong suit of a man of such a profession.

    ---

    After the trip commences and they arrive, Thorus opens his senses to the world, staying vigilant in case of some unheard-of surprise or ambush. He readies his morningstar and shield in anticipation of a fight, though if the bandit spoke truly and no surprises are in store, the fight should be more than easy enough. There were only three bandits, though, which meant the fourth was likely in hiding.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus readies his morningstar and shield, and changes his aura to Senses (+1 Spot, Listen and Initiative).


    He jerks his head into the direction of a distant rock, narrows his eyes and cries "Watch it!" then spurs his horse into a charge towards the rock, swinging his morningstar in a mighty arc at a shape behind it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus charges the archer behind the rock, suffering -2 AC until his next turn.

    Attack roll: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage roll: (1d8+2)[10]
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Indrys was nervous following his brief encounter with the specter of death, and therefore walked with his head up and his eyes darting, an arrow knocked and ready to loose on his 'new' bow. Truthfully, it was a simple weapon, not at all ornamented and thus not really his style. But he had to admit that he admired the simple functionality. It worked, and that was enough, for now. He'd procure something more fitting to his station later, once they - what was that? A brief flash of light, several dozen feet away, partially concealed by a rock. His mind screams at him: arrowhead! Ambush! He nudges the dwarf, Glaffin, as he pivots smoothly on a heel, raising the bow to shoulder-height and drawing back the arrow. The string twangs satisfactorily when it's release and the loosed arrow flies towards the ominous glint of the bandit's deadly projectile.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus spurred his horse, guiding the animal around the worst of the rocks effortlessly. The bandit lookout, unprepared for the charge, scrambled hastily back, his arrow flying over Thorus' head. Indrys' luck was little better, his own shot missing badly.

    "Attack!" screamed the lookout, fumbling for another arrow. Immediately, the three around the table abandoned their game, leaping to their feet and looking around for the fight. It wouldn't be long before they saw the party.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, bandits failed at initiative. Everyone, have at 'em! Map:

    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-08-03 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added map
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Artemis97's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lost in the Town
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Laelaer too had her bow out, an arrow nocked onto the string. She had been walking like this for most of their journey, keeping most of her focus on the back of their prisoner and guide. If he tried to run, the drowess had no real qualms about putting an arrow in his back. Well, maybe just the leg. They still needed him to lead them, afterall.

    Alerted by Thorus' warning, the duskblade shifts her focus from their prisoner to the visible bandits playing cards. Laelaer looses her arrow, aiming for the furthest bandit.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~

    Warning: My posting rate varies wildly. One day I may post a ton, the next I might disappear for a week.

    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Games I'm DMing:
    Hunger Games (Recruiting)
    Games I'm In:
    They All Uprose, OOC

    Ask Raril a question, he's listening more often now.
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.
    Avatar of Artemis by Serpentine.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus, undaunted by his missed swing, spurs his horse to close the gap and puffs out his chest, letting bloodlust fill his arms and fuel his strength. He swings his morningstar in a powerful downward arc towards the bandit's head with a grunt of effort. He catches the other bandits spurring to action in his periphery, but wants to focus on the immediate threat first.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume not, but just in case a Ride check is still needed for earlier: (1d20+1)[14]

    ---

    As a swift action, Thorus changes his aura to Vigor: Fast healing 1 when below half health.

    Then he takes a five foot step forward and attacks the archer.
    Attack: (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin doesn't hesitate for an instant, swiveling his crossbow from the prisoner to the nearest dice-playing bandit he can see as soon as the alarm is sounded and firing off a bolt as steady as his hands will allow, the thwap of the string striking the prods the only sound he makes.

    He reloads the crossbow with the same efficiency, waiting for another opportunity to get in a clear shot.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shooting his crossbow at the southmost bandit. He looks to be just within the first range increment to me, but that's for Destro to decide I suppose.

    (1d20+1)[10]
    (1d8)[1]
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2012-08-03 at 10:09 PM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Their relatively safe position, for the moment, keeps Alec calm when he pulls up his new bow. He watches Laelaer's arrow speed past, with some admiration, and shifts his aim to the next bandit; hers is surely finished already. Between that and Thorus charging off to deal with the lookout, Alec can only see this ambush ending one way.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage: (1d6)[6]

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Cecily takes a breath to steady herself and grips her bow tight. At least this time she wouldn't have to be in the fray. At least, she hopes not. The woman moves closer to their target and raises her bow. She aims toward the closest bandit and lets the arrow loose.

    OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cecily moves to the west one space and north three spaces first. She then fires an arrow from her shortbow at the southernmost bandit in the group of three.

    Attack: (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]



  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus urged his horse forward another few steps, bringing his heavy weapon down on the lookout's head. Behind him, the group let fly, arrows arcing towards their targets. The fight was over, almost before it began, the last bandit felled by an arrow between the eyes.

    Their captive was watching, white-faced and in no mood to try running. The two guards were still keeping an eye on him, their own weapons trained on his back. The gag made it difficult to see his expression, but it didn't seem odd to think that he might be thanking his luck that it was Indrys' spell, instead of an arrow, which had been aimed at him during the first ambush.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice shooting, guys. Camp is now yours, to search as you will.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  14. - Top - End - #254
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Unsurprisingly, Alec first looks to see how Adrian is taking the scene. He's already reacted relatively calmly to the aftermath of a battle, but the event itself is another animal entirely. Unless the young man is deeply disturbed, Alec only gives him a glance right now; not many people like to feel babied.

    He next gives Glaffin a light prod with the tip of his bow. "Better than expected, hmm? Maybe you could have your prisoner show us around a bit. I don't think we need the gag anymore, but it's your call."

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Artemis97's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lost in the Town
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Laelaer nocks another arrow and walks into the camp, uncertain that they had eliminated all of their enemies. She particularly wanted to make sure that the bandits around the table were dead, and to collect whatever spoils she might find off her own kill.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d20+6)[22] for examining the bodies.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~

    Warning: My posting rate varies wildly. One day I may post a ton, the next I might disappear for a week.

    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Games I'm DMing:
    Hunger Games (Recruiting)
    Games I'm In:
    They All Uprose, OOC

    Ask Raril a question, he's listening more often now.
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.
    Avatar of Artemis by Serpentine.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Was that it? Cecily lowers her bow and starts moving toward the camp. She's not so naive that she doesn't keep her hand on the hilt of her rapier, however. Once it's clear that the threat has been dealt with, the woman relaxes. That was easier than last time. Practically finished before it started.

    Cecily follows behind Laelaer, and will join her in examining the bodies and their belongings. The area immediately around the campfire would be examined as well provided no one gets to it first.



  17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    After his foe is thoroughly dispatched, Thorus whips around to face the fight, and is somewhat put-off by how quickly it ended. The adrenaline faded from his veins before it even really got going. He extricates his morningstar from its gory holster and dismounts, wiping the blood from it.

    Tuning his senses to his environment, he then looks around for the big rock the prisoner talked about earlier. Or, failing that, the one that looks like it might be the best one to hide a chest under.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorus changes his aura to Senses; +1 Spot, Listen and Initiative.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    "After we've searched the camp up and down, I'll consider it. He said there were four, but I'd sooner trust my own caution than his word. Keep your eyes open." Glaffin then walks back to the prisoner and levels his crossbow at him from a fair distance.

    "I'm looking for some folks that our mutual friend said were held captive here. You lead me to where they're kept, and I'll see about vouching for you when we get back to the caravan. You have my word on that." Glaffin gestures to Adrian to indicate who he means by mutual friend, but keeps his crossbow trained on the bandit. After the long march to the camp, he'd changed his mind about the deception, and decided that even if they found the captives dead, he'd still say a kind word for the prisoner so long as he was dealt with honestly. Some peace of mind for Adrian, and a prayer said over their graves, if the bandits even afforded them such luxury, would be all he'd take in exchange.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Adrian, it seemed, was taking the whole affair relatively well. The boy was hiding behind one of the rocks, it was true, but then he was also unarmed. Once he was sure the shooting had died down, he looked around the rock, then back to the group. "Is that all of them?"

    Their captive, on the other hand, seemed a little shocked by how quickly the battle had ended. He'd been asleep for most of the fight by the caravan, and hadn't been able to get a very good look. It was true, the bandits had been outnumbered, but even so it had only been a handful of seconds before they all died. Turning to face Glaffin, followed by a glance to see who the cleric was indicating, all he could do was nod slowly, and walk even more slowly into the camp, clearly expecting Glaffin to follow along. Aside from the four victims, it looked deserted. As they passed the structures meant for sleeping under, the dwarf counted bedrolls. It wasn't the best indication, but there couldn't have been that many people sleeping here. Certainly no more than thirty, if that. There simply weren't places set up for them to rest. What was set up was a storage area full of crates and barrels, and one bigger tent-structure that was more nicely ordered than the lesser ones around it. A common seating area and mess rounded out the collection of bigger structures, but they were going past all of those, to emerge at the back of the camp. An iron shovel had been left on the ground, next to a pair of unmarked dirt mounds, each roughly six feet long. There the erstwhile guide stopped, looking down at the dirt.

    Meanwhile, Laelaer and Cecily had taken to searching the bodies of the deceased. Each appeared to be armed much like those who attacked the caravan had been, with studded leather and shortbows, as well as shortswords. Each of the men was carrying a handful of gold, and Laelaer noticed that the table they'd been playing at was scattered with copper pieces.

    While they were doing that, Thorus had been searching around for a likely looking boulder. There were a few that looked big, but he couldn't say for sure which one it was. Wherever the bandits had buried their loot, for the moment, was being frustratingly elusive.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Loot from the dead, in total. 4 sets studded leather, 4 short swords, 4 shortbows, 55gp, one set of wooden dice, and 100cp on the table.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-08-10 at 06:53 PM.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Artemis97's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lost in the Town
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    "Is anyone a gambler?" Laelaer wonders with a smile as she picks up the dice from the table. "Perhaps these will bring you more luck than their previous owner had." If no one wants them, she'll pocket the dice and start counting out the coins, spltting them into equal piles. Mostly coppers, but money was money.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~

    Warning: My posting rate varies wildly. One day I may post a ton, the next I might disappear for a week.

    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Games I'm DMing:
    Hunger Games (Recruiting)
    Games I'm In:
    They All Uprose, OOC

    Ask Raril a question, he's listening more often now.
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.
    Avatar of Artemis by Serpentine.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus glances at Laelaer and shakes his head. "Nah; fortune only favors the bold." Turning his attention back to the matter of the hidden cache, he looks around at all the rocks again. He then heads over to the bandit prisoner and addresses him, "Oi, where's this stash of yer's, exactly? Might behoove ya to be cooperative." He puts a hand back on his freshly-cleaned morningstar. "Just sayin'."
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Glaffin looks over to Thorus somberly, giving his head a slight shake, "You bring the kid over here, alright? I'll give these two their last rites, and he can tell me if he wants them dug up and moved to more proper graves. Then we'll see about the cache, wherever it might be." It's a simple enough request. The gold will be there when he gets back, and Glaffin feels responsible for doing this, even though he knows that by the time Adrian snuck into their caravan, it was too late to save these two.

    It seems he's always too late to save people, when it matters. The curse of a healer, you can never do enough when death is at hand.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gulaghar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Cecily places the coins she finds on the table as well, along with the short swords. It seems despite her other qualms, stripping the dead of their valuables is not one of them. She definitely doesn't enjoy it, however. That much should be obvious.

    "I can't count many better ways to lose everything than gambling." Cecily comments with just the faintest trace of distaste. When she's done searching the bodies she leaves what she found on the table and moves toward Glaffin. "Let me know if you need any help."



  24. - Top - End - #264
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus opens his mouth to object, then thinks better of it and nods. The bandit it and his gold would still be here in five minutes. Abandoning the prisoner without waiting for a response, he strides over to Adrian and plants a gauntleted hand on the kid's shoulder. "Hey, uh, Glaffin wanted to see ya." Thorus, to be honest, doesn't get why the last-rites thing is so important. As far as he's concerned, the two were lucky to get holes in the ground, given what some are driven to do in war.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Adrian looked surprised to be addresed by the much large Thorus, flinching a little when the hand landed on his shoulder. "Oh. Um. Yes, sir. Lead the way?"

    Following Thorus back over to where Glaffin was, Adrian slowed down, looking between the bandit, the cleric, and the two mounds of earth. "Oh." Was all he said, stopping short some ten feet away.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slii Arhem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Where indeed
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Without knowing what to say, or who these two were to the boy, Glaffin stands silent for a while, composing himself.

    "This one here said that the leader shot them while you were out for trying to escape. I wanted you to know that they were willing to die than stay under the thumb of callous men, if that means anything to you." Perhaps not the most reassuring words he could offer, but Glaffin supposes he didn't expect to get back into practice with his clerical duties so soon.

    "If you'd tell me their names, I can give them a few words to send them off, and maybe they'll know they were from you. We'll move the remains, if need be. The graves don't look too deep, and we can't all be looking for that pile of silver the bandit told us about. In fact, why don't you take the prisoner now Thorus, and he can guide you to it. I'll stay here with the kid." Seems the least he can do really. Adrian has no more reason to side against them now, so he feels safe being the one to watch over him, especially with the others in camp.

    To Cecily, he just nods his thanks, "I don't suppose you could find another few shovels. Might make things go faster."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    "I... yes. They would have..." Adrian coughed, trying to stop himself from crying. "Janek and Merla. Their names. I'm sorry, I think... I need some time. Say goodbye."

    Walking closer, he stopped just in front of the mounds, kneeling next to the earth and looking at the ground. The bandit prisoner glanced over at Thorus, doing his best to indicate they should probably leave. His mouth and hands were still bound, so it wasn't the easiest thing to get across. Walking slowly away from the scene, he stopped to wait for Thorus after going a short distance.

    "We shouldn't move them," Adrian told Glaffin after a moment. "We shouldn't disturb their rest." He was fighting to get the words out, obviously upset. "Long as they know I'm safe..."

    He paused, for a long, silent moment. Then, leaning forward to place his hand on the ground, the boy spoke again.

    "I'm sorry."
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing


  28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Orange Zergling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Thorus just stands there, feeling awkward and out of place. He didn't really have any experience with comforting people, and even if he did, he worried it might be misconstrued as weakness. He coughs into his fist and then responds, "Er, yeah," to Glaffin. He then strides over to the bandit prisoner and quickly changes the subject, "Anyway; as I was sayin'..."
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

    LGBTitP Supporter

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    With everything already happening as it should, for the first few minutes after the fight, Alec sees no reason to interfere. Any suggestions he might've made are already taking effect; Adrian is dealing with his harsh loss as best he can rather than burying it, and has said his farewells. Alec might've, were it up to him, dug up the bodies so Adrian could see his friends one last time for better closure, but this still seems as healthy a reaction as can be expected.

    "Let's tether the horses and look around for the ones that ran off," he says to the two guards, assuming they haven't already moved away. "If we're lucky, they'll remember this area and be somewhere nearby."

    He takes one mount and leads it into the camp. Glaffin and Cecily get light, grateful shoulder-pats as he passes them; if they've got the Adrian business under control, then Alec's better off not interfering. They shouldn't crowd the young man. Besides, at least for now, their brand of comfort and advice is probably better for him than the pirate's.

    Instead, he joins Laelaer, ties his horse's reins to a support pole or beam on the nearest temporary structure, and begins a careful search of the barrels and crates for anything worth taking back to the caravan. "Nice shooting," he tells the dark elf.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Taking a 20 to search the storage area, for a total of 27.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

    Indrys follows after Glaffin and the boy, not as concerned for his share of the treasure as he'd thought that he would be. When Adrian kneels down before the mounds, grieving, the gray elf is oddly thankful that he hadn't yet gone home to see whatever it was that remained of his house and family. To suspect, or even to know, was less of a thing than to witness. "You should not be sorry," he says, and his voice is soft. "If they cared for you, they would have wanted you to live, and to be free. You are not to blame for the actions of evil men, and those men have now been punished, save for one." He does not approach, but if he did, he would lay his hand on Adrian's shoulder.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •