1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: TW: Shards of War (IC)

Canada

To Coalition
    Spoiler
    Show

Your espionage division will be appreciated. We should have all of our espionage agencies co-operate for this invasion, in order to increase effectiveness.

Your Shards will also be appreciated, although I must inquire who specifically will you be giving them to? (I would of course prefer myself )
    "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else" - Eliezer Yudkowsky

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aztlan Hegemony
    Morale: 16

To the Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    As I have mentioned, the Aztlan forces are ready for war. We did not suffer many casualties in this last one, and are eager to test our new weapons. I would be willing to send the entirety of my forces to Antarctica if that was the course of action this organization chose.

3. - Top - End - #363

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Scandinavian Union

To the Coalition
    Spoiler
    Show
    They would go to the Khmer.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Grim to Hawaii
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will be pulling back from Khemer. What we have done there has appeared to draw far too much attention.

The Grim to the Empire of the Resplendant Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will be pulling back from Khemer now. Hopefuly, that last message should have scared them enough to join you. We do aplogize for getting a bit out of hand, as we didn't wish to hurt your image in the eyes of those living close by you.

The Grim to Everyone but the Khemer
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will be withdrawing from Khemer. The Ultimatium was a bluff, ment to drive them into joining the EoTRS out of panic. We should not have left antarctica in the first place, and will be heading back.

To Russia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to what we understand as a push to get rid of us, we will have to refuse the contract. We'll be fighting a struggle for survival, and will not be able to spare anything.

The Grim to the Khemer, Acknoldgement of possible wrong

The shamans have met, and have rebuked the old thane. Her body can be left outside one of your cities if you like. Our new Thane has been listening to the consel of the Shamans, and how it was not our place to be involved in the affairs of the warmlands. Due to our actions, we feel that we mmust offer a blood-price. We will give you 6 Oblivion shards over the next 19 and a half lunar months.
    Last edited by Grimsage Matt; 2012-09-22 at 06:48 PM.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Alaska

To the Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    And thus the effectiveness of the Coalition is proven without a single shot fired

If the Grim's latest move isn't enough then Alaska's forces are fully ready to invade their territory.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #366

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry Scandinavia, we thought you were going to give them to one of us to build up our military for the invasion. Sorry about the mistake. Your plan is also a god idea, so keep doing that.

OK, so we have the following nations openly supporting war with Grim, and their contributions:
    Canada (small military, but large ESP assets)
    Alaska (Military forces)
    Altzan (entire military force)
    PRA (unspecified as yet)
    Scandanavia (ESP to war effort. Shards to relief efforts)

Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-09-22 at 06:48 PM.
    "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else" - Eliezer Yudkowsky

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Russia

Coalition[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    i may contribute a portion of my own military and formidable intelligence agency. the rest of my assets will be fighting rebels in Austria.

does anyone have any technological projects they would like help on? most of my labs will be finishing my Steam-Rifles II tech but i can probably spare a couple points.

also many thanks for your technological aid, Scandinavia. we are about half finished wth the tech. you will be among the first to recieve the finished products

8. - Top - End - #368

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Scandinavian Union

Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is no problem -- we have enough tech to go around.
    With the Grim's recent statement the situation has changed -- should we sitll invade them? Should we let them go? I would prefer the former, but perhaps we should use our shards for mil and attack them as opposed to using our shards to aid the Khmer.

9. - Top - End - #369

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

We say that we should get rid of them (invasion). If we don't they will just be a problem later. They have clearly showed that they are willing to do so again with the ultimatum. They suspect that we are planning an invasion which is the only reason they are now calling it a bluff.

And look at Portugal. There were opportunities to deal with them, but they weren't taken, and they caused a lot of problems before they quieted down. We don't want to have another problem like that in the future. Or worse yet they build up their forces, ally with Portugal and go on a rampage.

Canada (small military, but large ESP assets)
    Alaska (Military forces)
    Altzan (entire military force)
    PRA (unspecified as yet)
    Scandanavia (ESP to war effort. Shards to relief efforts)
    Russia (Large segment of their military forces)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Grim, Khemer Shores.

The Grim left. They didn't talk to anyone, though they left a number of bodies at several cities. Those who ordered the attacks, those responsible for the terror campain. The Grim borded their ship, but left something behind. Six months worth of Oblvion shards. They'll meet their blood price.

The Grim, The Frozen Lands.

Those who the Grim had given the secerts of Long range radios, heard something.

"We the Grim, have violated our customs. We have dishonored ourselves, disgraced our ancestors and forsaken our duty. It was never our fate to leave the frozen lands, but we left. In greed, we left. In foolishness, we left. In pride, we left. Now, we return to the Home. We shall never leave. The Grim will never return to the warmlands, not till the Stars die, till the seas boil and fade, till the land groans and shatters, the sun burn out and the moon devours the world. The Grim will remain in the cold for all time."

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

I for one do not trust the Grim's assurances. They have already shown their lack of honor in their campaign, so why should we trust them now. I say we move to conquor them and permanently remove the threat they pose.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawaii to coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every threat later called a bluff is a war no one has to fight. The threat of annihilation is almost always more useful than the practice. It is unlikely the Grim will ever again be able to harm Khmer, it is also unlikely all the nations of the coalition could destroy the Grim without astronomical casualties. My armies cannot even survive an extended Antarctic campaign and this campaign would be extended. I am not sure some nations of this coalition have considered the difference between undertaking a war of conquest and a war of annihilation.
    Last edited by Mabn; 2012-09-22 at 08:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Peoples Republic of America

To the Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The Grim are a violent people. We've just seen how quickly their leaders change. The next may well put them back on the path of mindless violence."

"If we are to move forward with the attack, we would contribute our entire armed forces."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-09-23 at 02:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

The Kheranic Republic of Saloa to the Caliphate of Ethiopia
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are more than willing to support your opening of diplomatic communications with Australia. We have never harbored them any ill will over their unfortunate choice of allies.

We are not particularly interested in the research of methods to combat Acherium. Acherium itself is as close to an unholy substance as it is possible for any material, and we have never used it within our borders and never plan to. We are in fact planning to expand our efforts into indirect coupling methods such as our first test hovercraft. We hope to make considerable gains in the field now that we no longer need to focus on the threat of Madagascar.

As for our future plans we had considered expanding the Republic into Africa and bringing the good word to the people there. However our initial forays ran into an unexpected problem, and while our initial plan was to move forward anyway the diversion into the war with Madagascar has given us time to reconsider. No doubt your own forces will be meeting with the Red Skull shortly, so we will not go into details, but our reconnaissance has shown that he would take poorly to expansion into "his" territory, and while your generals may scoff at a mere warlord posing any sort of threat we understand you have been having considerable problems with the Nigerian Warlords, and from what we understand the Red Skull makes the Nigerian Warlords look like small time thugs. We do not wish to underestimate him even if he lacks modern weaponry. A more careful approach must be considered, no doubt you will have your own ideas once your scouts reports have been fully analyzed.

Santu Wesuri, Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Roman Empire to the Caliphate of Ethiopia
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will certainly inform them, however you will forgive us if we do not get their hopes up unduly. They have suffered greatly, and your own forces have only exacerbated the situation. We do not wish to cause them further displacement when they are only just settling into their new homes.

Markus Aurietas, Envoy of Caeser the LXXII

Africa
    There is not a lot of response to the Ethiopians offers primarily because the few boats that can be dispatched can cover only a fraction of even the nearest territories, and those they do meet are generally villagers and small farmers who have no desire to interact with foreigners or hear their teachings.

However the scouts in the most extreme south west of the expedition find something different. The locals speak of the "Mighty Red Skull" to whom they owe tribute, and eventually the scouts find a line of markers. Huge effigies bearing skull motifs and painted in lurid red shades. And more disturbingly a few more gruesome ones that are the distinctive shade of ugly brown that only those who haven't seen the slaughter of a battlefield don't find disturbing. At that point the various commanders of the scout boats felt it was best to turn back and report before making any further potentially hazardous expeditions beyond their given orders.

The Moroccan Emirates to the Caliphate of Ethiopia
    Spoiler
    Show
    We recognize your current claims so long as you do not encroach on the most Holy of Cities.

We decline to open our lands to any exchanges.

The Magnetic Research Institute to the Caliphate of Ethiopia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although I admire your aims I feel that any agreement to work together must be approached cautiously and examined thoroughly. For our cultures vastly differ. I desire you to take no offense, but know that we believe that the religions of god belong in the past. We are strictly scientists here, and we believe in only what we can prove with our own instruments. Know that I personally believe this, and while I have learned to accept the cultures and values of other lands, the rest of my people are scientists first and humans second. I am proud of them and they have done great things, but they are not well versed in social graces. The most polite of them will simply refrain from discussing the issue, but the more brusk ones will regard your people and your beliefs with disdain. And as unfortunate as it might be genius tends to go hand in hand with a lack of social graces. The scientists most likely to reject you, would be the ones most needed on any kind of Acherium project.

As such while I am not adverse to working with you on such a worthy program as Acherium reduction any such cooperations must be made with great care to avoid any sort of diplomatic incident.

Dean Hardings, College of Foreign Studies

The Mechaneer Union to the Caliphate of Ethiopia
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have given my staff orders to help your ambassador assemble a brief for you on the Union's current state, but in regards to your current proposal we in the Mechaneer Union feel little need to combat Acherium Blight or open to those sorts of cultural exchanges. As you must know the expansion of Russia into the territory of Austria has put them on our very flanks. And while we have seen no overt trouble signs nevertheless their very expansion is a sign of an aggressive foreign policy. And we have reason to believe that their agents have been trying to infiltrate our territories. As such while means to combat Acherium pollution are no doubt quite noble, we must focus on more immediate affairs with greater military or security signfigance. We would not however be adverse to working with you in such a project.

Korbl Busch, Ambassador at Large

Mechaneer Union Brief
    By Ethiopian Ambassador in the Clockwork City (You can name him if you want.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A hardy stubborn people the Mechaneer Union is ruled by constitutional monarchy, with an emphasize on monarchy. In the past power has swung back and forth between the monarchs and the parliaments, but currently matters of state reside solely in the hands of one Kaiserin Karola Gwerder. Under her government the Union has expanded into several key smaller states that bordered it in acts of confederation that were almost universally praised by both her own citizens and those of the smaller states. With her near flanks secure the Kaiserin turned her influence inward. Under her leadership the Mechaneer's industry has prospered and today the Union is nearly one vast factory which hums with progress. Or rather it would be if not for the current state of global politics. In fact since the completely unexpected invasion of the Austrian Empire by Russia the factories of the Union have turned almost exclusively towards the production of war material, and its colleges have concentrated on increasing the capabilities of its war machines. Its citizens have never forgotten how badly Russia hurt them in the last war, and they are determined to prove that things won't go the same way if Russia decides to try again.

There is little in the way of actual culture in the Union, at least in the ways that our own people might recognize. There are some traditional holdovers, but things have been almost grossly distorted by the drive to wipe out the smear on their honor given by the last war. Art has been replaced by competitions to devise the most complex and devastating war machines. Sports have been replaced with the competition of local militias that regularly compete in war games. There is still some adherence to some I believe is called Third Reformation Orthodoxy, but it has been mostly replaced by an almost worshipful veneration of the Kaeserin given her successes. Most other European countries view the Mechaneer Union with no small amount of fear, especially given their alignment with Spain and the Roman Empire, but it is my opinion that the Mechaneer Union will make no active movements in foreign affairs until its apprehension over Russia has been dealt with one way or another.

OOC: The rest of the NPC Replies will be done tomorrow.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2012-09-26 at 12:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, the majority seem to be in favour of invading the grim, but since we're going to do this, let's to do it right."

"The PRA, Scandinavia and Russia will land at 90 west, lure out the Antarctica military and engage them."

"Canada, Alaska and the Aztlan will land at 90 east and head straight for the Antarctica oblivion pits."

"All our espionage assets should be used to locate the second oblivion pit, and dismantle it's defences."

"Any of us that can should be using our peoples public opinion to lure the grim citizens away from their corrupt government. We don't need to exterminate them, only break the corrupt power structure that currently rules over them."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Russia

Coalition[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    as it stands now, i will not be able to pledge more than a small "token force" to the antarctic invasion.

i also have a sugestion as to the distribution of the captured pits: what if we put those under a sort of joint ownership and those shards produced from the pits be reserved for special humanitarian aid projects.

17. - Top - End - #377

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

We agree, both to the invasion plans, as well as the pits plan. Humanitarian aid seems a good move.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawaii
    To Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would you define their corrupt government? The structure of their government is representative to its people's wishes and the faction behind the actions you disapprove of is already dead or out of power. What government would you prefer they have? Also, if your problem was with some aspect of their government, why are we trying to capture their oblivion mines?

19. - Top - End - #379

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

We are going after them because their people are willing to do this, and their government is unstable enough for this to happen again. Suppose the current leader decides to keep the oath. It won't matter when they decide that that leader is not acting in their best interests, and kill their leader like they did the last. No, for the good of the world they need a system imposed such that they cannot repeat this offense.
    Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-09-26 at 08:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawaii
    To Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So the goal is to try to give them a less representative government? That doesn't seem very stable. Do you think we should form a permanent force in Antarctica to prop it up so the Grim don't kill whoever we chose to rule them as soon as we leave?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Coalition: [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The Grim are amoral, not sadistic. They just want to live better lives, as we all do. They'll have no reason to kill our appointed ruler so long as we can show them our way is a better way of living"

"Their popular approval is already below average, clearly some people don't like what their government is up to. We can push that further, highlight the happiness our people enjoy, and the mistakes their government has made."

"We can leave a military force in Antarctica, to fight the extremists who will resort to violence, but I don't think it'll be necessary in the long term. I'm confident we can get the people on our side. We have the resources, and we are in the right. The Grim's way of living is worse, both for themselves, and all of humanity."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-09-27 at 07:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Oaths Of Hunters(Or warriors)
    "We hunted the unthinking blood-hunt, and have fallen. We forget the Warmlands, and bind ourselves to the True Lands, and the Path of Stars."

The Oaths of the Tool makers
    "The Gear made in the shops was profaned. We forget the Warmlands, and in the True Lands, Bind ourselves to the Stairway of Stars."

The Oaths of Farmers
    "The Warmlands had much, but also less then nothing. Let the lichen grow over the warmlands, the True Lands will forget them."

The Oaths of Shamans
    "The gates of memory close on the warmlands, never to be reopened. They are swollowed up by the Dark Orca, which awaits at the end off all things. Let the Path of Stars, and the Customs of the Truelands endure, and never fade."

The Oaths of the Dissenters
    "We will not forget the warmlands, but bind ourselves to the True lands. Pragmatisim over Pride, Survival over Honor, Clan over Outsider."

The Oaths of the Dead
    "We are the dead. We take no oaths. We remeber all, and forget nothing."
    Last edited by Grimsage Matt; 2012-09-27 at 08:00 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawaii
    to Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    What is our way of living? Our coalition includes communists, capitalists, democracies, monarchies, atheists, fundamentalists, and as many geopolitical outlooks as we have members. Did you have something in mind or were you just going to go there and call them primitive and tribal? Their "popular approval" is tied with ours and half the world is seeking to destroy them while the other half watches. It is above Russia and Canada's approval and either can inform me if they want to adopt one of our "ways of living" due to our much greater shared experiences together.

I should state, given my objections to what seems to be the coalition's popular consensus that Hawaii wishes to uphold world piece and human rights as much as any other country, even from our history to the point of getting invaded for it. We also believe that the Grim's actions were wrong. They are also in the past. A plan of retribution likely to result in genocide, indefinite colonial occupation, or defeat is not a good plan and will certainly not help their victims.

But truly, if the coalition's first plan is "lets invade them, take their livelihood (because I'm sure we all did research and know their shards are the only thing making Antarctica habitable), kill them until they submit, and then hand them over to an occupying force that finds their culture and values detestable" we should have offered the Grim membership from the beginning.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Alaska

To Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hawaii has a point. They've already left and isolated themselves. If they truly mean what they say then they won't be a threat to anyone. I suggest we just keep an eye on them for now, or perhaps demand some demilitarization as a show of good faith.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Coalition: [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yeah, okay. We don't want this coalition to start on the wrong foot. Let's build up our forces, and improve relations with as many people as we can."

"We'll send our troops to help Russia"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-09-27 at 11:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Very well, we will leave them be for the moment. Although demanding demilitarization would be a good idea.
    Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-09-27 at 12:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Scandinavian Union

Coalition [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    We agree with the demand of demilitarization.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Coalition
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Right. We'll see if they'll agree without using threats first. We'll grant you permission to read our communique to them. Send one of your own if you wish."

To the Grim [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The Coalition is glad to hear that you have decided to stop taking aggressive military action. We have decided to trust your oath for now, but we are quite concerned by your continued military strength."

"It would go a long way to increasing our trust of you, if you were to dismantle your offensive military."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-09-27 at 04:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawaii
    the Grim+Coalition (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We support the coalitions request for a disarmament of your offensive forces. Since, generally speaking, this would consist of dismantling you long-range vessels, Hawaii will speak for the coalition expressing our willingness to deliver your reparations to the Khemer in your place.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Grim

To the Coalition, PRA and Hawaii and GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will destroy our long range ships. Most of our Millitary strength is hunters, and they are needed to feed the people.

OOC; Requesting a Trait from Arcane. [No Long Range Watercraft]. Basicly, I can only do short hops, and those are risky. Anything longer then Antarctica to the Falklands or the Flaklands to the Cape of south america, and it takes at least 1d3 turns to get there, and a risk of sinking (Losing stats being moved?).

Spoiler
    Show