1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: TW: Shards of War (IC)

russia

to portugal[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    yes. its only a matter of time before everything boils to the surface at once, plunging the world into another great war.

we were actually planning to instigate a war between the austria hungarian empire and the mechaneer union. that way we let them destroy eachother and i can move in for the kill and eliminate both of my old enemies. we have no designs on luxumbourg at the moment

also. my agents in the mechaneer union report there is a new political movement sweeping through the nation. we believe it is another european power as it is clearly not native to the region. you wouldnt have anything to do with it would you?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Peoples Republic of America

To Portugal [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I apologize, but there appears to have been some kind of communication error. I believe we sent you a communique last year, but not having received a response, we can only assume you failed to receive it."

"We wished to discuss a matter of some importance with you, and requested permission to sent an emissary of our nation for a private meeting."

To the Kingdom of Soloa [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It seems Madagascar has not acted, as we feared they might. Nonetheless, it may only be a matter of time. The people of America can not stand by idly, while innocent nations are threatened. We would like to propose a military alliance, that our armed forces might guarantee your security."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-05-15 at 06:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

To PRA [10]
    Spoiler
    Show

''It is possible, that the message was lost in the delivery. We can arrange a meeting for private discussion of this important affair.''

To Russia [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Portugal isn't active in Mechaneer's Union. I will ask Luxemburg, if it's their doing and, if there could be a way for your interests to be reconciled, if they are involved.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Canada
    D.esp: 10

To Alaska
    Spoiler
    Show

We agree to the meeting with you. What would you like to discuss?

To DUS
    Spoiler
    Show

We would like to talk to you about a matter of great importance. We will send a representative shortly.

To Spain, Ireland, Scandinavian Union, Austria-Hungary
    Spoiler
    Show

We have recently intercepted information that could be of great value to yourselves. Should you wish to speak more of this we shall send a representative to your embassies in Canada.

To Quebec
    Spoiler
    Show

As your spies have likely found out the continent is likely going to be at war soon, it is merely a matter of who strikes the first blow. You have already stated your desire to not be involved, however we would like to make a formal non-aggression pact. It will be short term, lasting 5 years but will serve to better keep you out of the conflict should you desire that.
    Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-05-15 at 07:25 PM.
    "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else" - Eliezer Yudkowsky

5. - Top - End - #35

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Scandinavian Union

To Canada
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are very interested in what this information is: could you please share?

6. - Top - End - #36

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Scandinavian Union [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

We have recently intercepted communications between Portugal and the Roman Empire, saying that they will soon ally and begin a war of conquest around Europe. Rome wants their old empire back, and Portugal has agreed to help them in order to gain the spoils of war. We figured that we would inform you of this, as Portugal gaining power is not in our interests. Do with this information what you wish. And please keep it quiet that we told you. We do not want to antagonize Rome by publicly going against them. Portugal is also trying to reaffirm their non-agression pact with Russia, so they likely won't get involved.
    "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else" - Eliezer Yudkowsky

7. - Top - End - #37

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Scandinavian Union

To Canada
    Spoiler
    Show
    We see. As a cover for all these messages we've been sending to one another, would you care to announce a policy of free trade between our two glorious northern nations? It might ease some people's worries over these communications.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

russia
    morale:8

to portugal[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    okay. we will not be ready to move forward for a while yet. we still need to get an idea of austria hungarys capabilities. we know of the mechaneer unions already, however this political movement worries us.

in other news i suggest we watch canada. they seem to have something very important to tell several other nations...including spain and austria hungary. i dont think its a coincedance

9. - Top - End - #39

AssassinGuy

Canada

To Scandinavian Union [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

A free trade agreement will be a good cover, and the economic boost it brings should not be overlooked either. We agree to your proposal. Are there any other nations that you would like us to contact about this? If so tell us who and why and we will consider letting them know as well.

To Everyone

In recent international news Canada and the Scandinavian Union have announced that they will be forming a free trade treaty together. Trade will soon be flowing between the countries like never before. There are rumors that they are looking to include other nations as well.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Portugal

To Canada & Scandinavian Union

''The Kingdom of Portugal would certainly be interested in a trade agreement. How many other nations are planning to join?''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Peoples Republic of America

Trade Agreements
    As a communist nation, a 'free trade' agreement wouldn't really make much sense for us. We do however have excess goods, and would be willing to conduct trade deals with any nation, or corporation.

To Portugal [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you for agreeing to this meeting. The matter is a simple one; We anticipate that the Canadian Imperium will soon be declaring war on our nation. We expect the Aztlan hegemony will assist them, given their relationship with our ally; the PRC."

"The Aztlan are close allies with Spain. We do not want Spain to side against us, so we have been gathering allies in Europe, to have them removed from power. We understand you wish to seek revenge against those who forced your withdrawal in the Great War. Would you be willing to assist us against Spain?"

To Quebec: [11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I apologize for not following through with our previous communication. A sudden change of plans left us in some confusion as to what we wished to discuss with you."

"We have made contact with the people of Greenland. They lack a unifying government, so we have proposed a meeting between their leaders, that they might begin to form one. We have offered to let them host the conference on our land, if necessary. Our land is however rather distant. We were wondering if you would be willing to let them use yours instead.

"I'm sure the new Greenlandic government would appreciate the assistance."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-05-16 at 08:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Protugal

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''We may be willing to assist you against Spain, but we must know a few things. First, when do you think this war is going to break out? Second, how much forces are you willing to commit against Spain?''

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

People's Republic of America

To Portugal [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I can not give an estimate as to when Canada intends to invade us. If we can deal with Spain, they may not have enough supporters, and decide not to invade us at all."

"My people's army is quite possibly the largest in the world. I should be able to deploy a significant portion of it to assist you. The Roman Empire, and Kingdom of Soloa have also agreed to assist us. Between us we should easily have enough strength."

"Though additional preparations would be useful, the only necessity that remains is a solid Casus Belli, since it seems much of the world does not remember the horrible crimes the Aztlan have perpetrated."

To Russia [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Greetings. Your nation is a powerful one, and I have no interest in being your enemy in the future. Would you agree to a pact of non-aggression and a trade agreement between our nations?"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-05-16 at 11:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Portugal

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Isn't the threat to your nation reason enough to strike? If you don't act now, Canada will gather more allies and it'll be your cities burning. Anyway, you can easily claim, that you are aiding the Roman Empire in restoration of their rightful territories. Are you prepared to commit to this campaign this year? We'll be willing to support it, but as you yourself have indicated, time is of the essence.''

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Peoples Republic of America

To Ireland [11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Greetings. I would like to take this opportunity to express my respect for your people and government. You are one of the few nations with the guts to ignore the power struggles of international politics, and do what is best for your people."

"Your military capabilities are shall we say... below par. I would not want to see anything happen to your people, so I would like to take this opportunity to offer you a military alliance. I understand you won't want to involve yourself in my affairs, so I will gladly make it one-sided. We will protect your nation from any threats, and ask for nothing in exchange."

"If you accept, we will gladly keep this arrangement secret, if you would prefer to remain out of the spotlight."

To Portugal [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We are more than capable of gathering our own allies, to match the forces Canada would array against us. Restoring the territories of the Roman Empire, would still be viewed by many as an unjust act. Regardless, it was the Roman Empire who suggested to us that we should take time to prepare, rather than advancing swiftly into war. Perhaps we should invite them to this meeting; See if their opinion has changed?
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-05-16 at 02:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

''What is goodness? There are many misconceptions on this subject, different beliefs on what it takes to be a good man. I know the answer to be very simple. Goodness is Power. We are beings of basest instincts for survival and procreation, yet our souls yearn for more. It's our aspirations, our ideals that make us more than beasts, that make us virtuous and good. And in order to achieve our dreams and follow our ideals, do we not need power? If you lack strength, you need to compensate for it, by being more brutal, more ruthless, then your opponent, in order to survive. The weak are thus the most cruel and evil beings, that walk the earth. It takes strength to win without killing your opponent, it takes strength to make people listen to your message of peace, it takes absolute power to be free of sin. Power purifies us of corruption. The most depraved and brutal beast given absolute power would be changed into a paragon of virtue.

Some say I am an evil King. I admit it, it is true. I am evil, corrupt, brutal, murderous and depraved being, for unlike many I realize my weakness. So I will walk the path of steel and blood, death and destruction, to become the Messiah free of sin and corruption, to lead humanity with absolute justice and virtue.
    ''

Excerpt from the Path of Oblivion, by Jose Santos de Silva II

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''In wars, whoever holds the initiative is often the winner. Your army is strong, but it's far less useful in the time of peace, compare to the army of spies, the Canadians are rumored to possess.

The war in Asia is being fought without any casus beli and they are no worse for it.

The Romans are being overly cautious, since they are uncertain on how the rest of European nations would react. Our own assesment is that the majority of them won't act and if they learn, that they'll have more allies against Spain, I'm certain they'll be more willing to commit.''

Last edited by Thelonius; 2012-05-16 at 03:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

AssassinGuy

Canada
    D. esp: 10

To Portugal
    Spoiler
    Show

While a free trade agreement with you would be good for our economy we have some concerns about including you. Your nation is generally not liked due to your... style of governance. If you were to start acting in a manner more in line with international expectations then we would be more open to including you in the treaty.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To Portugal [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The instigators of the Asian conflict are certainly being successful, but they have lost all hope of moral integrity and righteous standing."

"I am not propagating this war for personal greed, or selfish ambition, I do this for the people of my country, and the free peoples of this earth. I do not doubt that Spain is guilty of all manner of criminal acts, but I would have them known, before rendering fair retribution."

To Canada: [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Would you be willing to accept an emissary of my nation? There's something I'd like to say in private."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

russia
    morale:8

PRA
    Spoiler
    Show
    we will accept the signing of a free trade agreement as well as the non aggression treaty

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Portugal

To Canada [10]
    Spoiler
    Show

''We find your objections troubling. The international opinion about our nation is hardly worse, then the opinion about your nation. And are you objecting to our Monarchy? We are not going to change our form of government, just to join your treaty, and for you to make such request is highly disrespectful.''

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''How long would it take for you to discover the Spain's evil acts. And are you certain you are going to find anything?''

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

Canada
    D.Esp: 10

to PRA
    Spoiler
    Show

We are willing to accept your emissary.

to Portugal
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes we were referring to the monarchy. In Canada that thing has been frowned upon ever since the British monarchy was abolished due to the formation of the Technocracy of Ireland. We would prefer to not be too strongly associated with your nation at this time for that reason. Although we would prefer change we won't take any action to cause that change, so you have nothing to fear from us.

To DM
    Spoiler
    Show

Canada sends a team to Greenland, looking for any people that might live there.

22. - Top - End - #52

AssassinGuy

Canada

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Please keep the insults to yourselves, as it gets us no where. And I agree this is getting out of hand. I looks like we have most of the major nations involved somehow, and with no clear dominant side it could just be another pointless war. So clearly something needs to be done.

The main problem on our part is the vast hatred our people have of your government and values. While our government is willing to look past these issues it is the people that need to be convinced. I suggest that we engage in a joint operation in order to show co-operation is possible, and hopefully ease the tensions.

We have become aware that you have recently explored and met the people of Greenland. If we were to join in the first contact, and publicly announce our co-operation on this measure then surely this would change the people's opinions of our relationship.

Additionally opening the borders a little bit might allow some of the tensions to lift. Although you have already said you won't go for free trade, a more limited form of trade would certainly decrease tensions. You mentioned an excess of goods, so we might be able to work something out.
    Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-05-17 at 05:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The People's Republic of America

To Portugal [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "What exactly is the rush? If we require spoils of war, to keep ourselves ahead of our enemies, we can just involve ourselves in one of the Asian conflicts. The very fact that three other nations would be willing to invade Spain without a Casus Belli makes them essentially a non-threat anyway. If they did try to aid the Aztlan against me, they'd probably be invaded immediately."

"If you're so keen to invade Spain, just take a few months to have your agents form a fake Casus Belli. I would of course have to declare war on you if I ever found out, but there would be little else in your way, beside moral integrity, and righteousness"

To Canada [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It's not that we're against the idea of free trade agreements, it would simply be entirely meaningless for us to join one. All production is controlled by the state, taxing imports and exports would just be taking money from ourselves."

"We would gladly have you join us in meeting the Greenlandic people. We've invited their leaders to a summit, so that hopefully we can help them form a unified government. I'm sure they'll be glad to know they'll have the friendship of another nation."

"As to the other nations, who seem to have taken sides in our ... rivalry, while I appreciate their support, I can not help but feel many of them have other motivations. Rome, and Portugal for instance, seem to be openly expansionist nations. Given the choice I would much rather be actively opposing against these nations, not working with them. I don't know if you feel the same way, personally I find the Aztlan's reputation of ritual sacrifice, highly disturbing."

24. - Top - End - #54

AssassinGuy

Canada

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Now that you point it out free trade doesn't make much sense for your nation. I propose another solution to build economic ties. We allow a small section of the border to be opened. From here goods can be traded back and forth between the nations. You would be free to sell to corporations or our government if you are more comfortable with that. Our corporations would also be allowed the opportunity to sell goods to your government. The list of approved goods would of course be very small at first in order to ease people into this, but over the long term it should build relations.

Indeed Portugal and Rome do both seem quite expansionistic, and it would be good to break ties with them, as we expect them to make a move soon. And while the Altzan's "traditions" are a little disturbing moving against them would upset the already fragile balance of power on this continent, so for the moment I highly advise leaving them alone.

It is good that we can come to an agreement about the Greenland issue. When shall we announce it to our people's?

Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-05-17 at 09:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To Canada [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Opening our borders certainly sounds like a good idea."

"We have no intention of troubling the Aztlan at this time. We would much prefer to do so with your support anyway."

"We should announce it to our people as soon as possible. Better to give them time to consider the matter, and act rationally, then surprise them."

26. - Top - End - #56

AssassinGuy

Canada

PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

All right, we will have a press release shortly, however I think we should agree on what we will say. We were thinking of saying something along the following lines.

"For many years now tensions have been running high between our nation and the People's Republic of America. It has looked like war might brake out at any moment and each side was constantly looking for a war to outmaneuver the other. However today after weeks of negotiations with the People's Republic we have come to the agreement that something must be done to release these tensions, and prevent a war that would kill millions and accomplish nothing.

The PRA were kind enough to release the results of an expedition they recently sent to Greenland, and has been willing to include us in talks with their government. Furthermore we have agreed that a border crossing will be opened between our nations for the limited exchange of trade.

We hope that this will lead to a lasting peace between our two nations."
    /End Speech

Now obviously you didn't tell us about the Greenland expedition, however it makes a better story then reality, and will contribute to changing our people's opinions. What do you think of our speech, and what are you going to say?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

To the People's Republic of America
    Spoiler
    Show
    The people of Greenland have no idea what you're talking about. The Great War didn't affect them at all. They have always lived in their scattered fishing villages since the first Icelandic explorers landed centuries ago.

And all their leaders work for a living. They elders respected for their wisdom, and are deeply involved in the running of their villages. They can't just take time off to go to a conference. And even if they could they wouldn't really have anything to talk about. The people of Greenland really don't see any benefit to having a centralized government. Their way of life worked for their ancestors and it works for them.

The People's Republic of the Caribbean to Portugal
    Spoiler
    Show
    No we would not. We wish you well in launching your campaign, as it would distract the SPanish from their American allies, but we do not have anyhing against the Spanish themselves. Our fight is with the Aztlan. Sending forces to Spain would not help us there. In fact it would likely invite the Aztlan to launch an invasion on our own lands to benefit their own allies.

The Roman Empire to Portugal
    Spoiler
    Show
    What exactly did you have in mind?

The Kingdom of Saloa to the People's Republic of America
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would welcome an alliance. However we believe you misunderstand and we do not wish for you to believe we misled you. We see a war on the horizon, but it is not we who fear invasion. Do you still wish to form an alliance knowing this?

Alaska to Canada
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are interested in hiring your services. The proximity of Russia to our lands makes us a target if they ever wish to invade the Americas. We wish to know what their forces are like so that we can prepare appropriate defenses. Our own agents are inadequate to find out this information so we would like to hire you to do so for us.

To Canada
    Spoiler
    Show
    Represenatives from the envoys of Spain and Austri-Hungary arrive to see what you have to say.

Your scouts find people living in scattered fishing villages along the coast of Greenland. They are appear to be a fairly hospitable people given the circumstances.

Quebec to Canada
    Spoiler
    Show
    We agree to sign a non aggression pact with you for five years.

Quebec to the People's Republic of America
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are willing such a conference if they wish to hold it in our lands.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Canadian Federal Imperium [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh. We just received a response from the Greenlandic people. They don't want a conference to be held. They see no purpose in having a united government."

"Not entirely sure what we can do now. We should still open up our borders for trade. Not sure what else we can do to show co-operation though. Perhaps a unified response to the conflict in Asia? We don't need to pick sides, simply demand that both groups solve the matter diplomatically, on threat of military intervention."

To the Kingdom of Soloa
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm afraid I can't encourage war. How about improved economic relations?"

To Quebec
    Spoiler
    Show
    "They don't seem to desire the conference. Would you be open to improved economic relations between our countries?"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-05-23 at 05:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

AssassinGuy

Canada
    D.Esp: 10

To Alaska
    Spoiler
    Show

We might be able to fullfill your requirments, however we will not do so without compensation. What exactly were you offering for this operation?

To Spain/Austro Hungary [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Hello representatives of your esteemed nations. Although you have likely been expecting a free trade conference I have actually called you here for a more sensitive purpose. We have recently obtained information that would be of great importance to your nations. Our spies have intercepted the communications of many nations, and have determined that the continent will likely be at war very soon. Portugal is planning to invade your great nation of Spain, and has been seeking allies to aid it. And to your great nation of Austro-Hungary a different threat emerges. The Roman Empire is looking to reclaim its former territory, which unfortunately include your nation.

You must be wondering why we are telling this to your nations. We are telling you about the Portuguese invasion because Spain is that ally of the Altzan. Should Spain fall it would disrupt the already fragile peace on our continent. And as Rome once controlled Spain we have decided that having the nations of Europe ready for these events would greatly decrease the likelihood of Spain's fall. I hope you take these warnings to heart.

To DUS
    Spoiler
    Show

The PRA has recently approached us about maintaining a more cordial relationship (or at least attempt to kill each other less). Given that the resulting war would be massive we have agreed to hear them out, and attempt to make a less antagonistic relationship. We will announce this soon, and thought we would give you a heads up.

To PRA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

With no conference our task becomes more difficult. The conflict in Asia is to far removed to have more than a token effect on our people , although it might still be worth it. What we need now is a joint venture to show that we not only talk about good relations, but are willing to work for it. Europe looks to be in a war soon, as Portugal wants to attack Spain, and Rome wants its old empire back. Perhaps we could pick a side and work together when that happens. After all if Spain falls the balance of power here changes, and that would likely result in war while our peoples still hate each other so.

Perhaps in the meantime though there are some resources we could exploit. South America has largely been out of contact for a while. We should send an expedition there, jointly led by our countries to set up mines and timber facilities. Given that they have been out of contact for so long I doubt the people will mind that much. And it is a concrete effort that people could point to in order to show the co-operation.

And if all else fails we could just spout propaganda about Altzan until our people hate them enough to stop hating each other. Keep in mind that if that is what we are relying on we won't actually be able to attack them as when they lost we would likely be at war with each other soon.
    Last edited by hydroplatypus; 2012-05-23 at 06:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To Canada [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sending an expedition to South America sends like a good idea. Let's try that before we resort to desperate measures."