Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1111

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Elm11 View Post
    Hello all. I was hoping not to have to venture here, but I've been placed in a very serious situation concerning relationships, and I desperately need some help regarding as situation that doesn't appear to have an easy conclusion. Probably not for the faint of heart. It goes without saying that if you stumble across this, various real life friends who frequent this forum, I'd appreciate you respecting my privacy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    Be nice. Really nice. I've noticed that when I want to get rid of someone, being a stand-up boyfriend is the best way to make sure they get bored and move on to someone more challenging.

    Since that level of honesty will probably get people in a snit, you can go for the more board-friendly advice. Tell her that she's worrying you, and that she should take advantage of whatever mental health facilities the school offers. If she's out of school, look for free mental health services she can contact elsewhere. The point being that if she still wants to talk with you, she has to realize that she's crossing some lines and get professional help. That way, she either starts dealing with the problem, or she can avoid doing so in which case you're totally within your rights to unfriend her and not reward her actions with attention. "Make sure they get help" and "understand that they're hooked on you" are easy enough to grasp, and the rest comes from that.

  2. - Top - End - #1112
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Elm11's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Be nice. Really nice. I've noticed that when I want to get rid of someone, being a stand-up boyfriend is the best way to make sure they get bored and move on to someone more challenging.

    Since that level of honesty will probably get people in a snit, you can go for the more board-friendly advice. Tell her that she's worrying you, and that she should take advantage of whatever mental health facilities the school offers. If she's out of school, look for free mental health services she can contact elsewhere. The point being that if she still wants to talk with you, she has to realize that she's crossing some lines and get professional help. That way, she either starts dealing with the problem, or she can avoid doing so in which case you're totally within your rights to unfriend her and not reward her actions with attention. "Make sure they get help" and "understand that they're hooked on you" are easy enough to grasp, and the rest comes from that.
    Unfortunately I've already tried the first approach and it backfired royally. Like I said, she's completely obsessed with me - as in, ticks half the boxes on this page. If I'd read that a while ago, I'd have been smarter in the way I acted, since it seems to suit the situation surprisingly well.

    I've also gone down the 'you're worrying me with how dependent you're coming across' line, and that seems to have been forgotten in short order. I'm not sure how coming out and telling her she's hooked on me will go, but it's probably a better shot than most other ideas.

    EDIT: Grammar.
    Last edited by Elm11; 2012-09-04 at 02:42 AM.
    "Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both." -Erwin Rommel

    "For twenty-four years, my chief purpose in life was to visit extreme violence upon people.That's what teaches you to be a peace-maker." -Dad

    Avatar by Shades Of Gray

  3. - Top - End - #1113

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Repeat after me. "You're scaring me. If you want me to keep talking to you, seek professional help." Then be willing to follow up on that if she doesn't.

    You can't and shouldn't be expected to fix this all on your own. All you can do is help connect her with somebody who is trained to handle this sort of thing, and be willing to extricate yourself if she's unwilling to get help.

  4. - Top - End - #1114
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Well, I met her online (OKCupid, to be precise) and she seems interesting enough. I'm just not feeling the same about her as I've felt about people in the past. Maybe I haven't given it enough time, but it just feels weird that I didn't meet her and have a mutual attraction grow over time. If that makes any sense. I don't know if I should give it more time or what. I am confused.

    As for putting myself out there, pretty much the only things I do are still attend the two clubs I was in during college, so I'm a 27-year old meeting 18-21 year olds. Not great odds, but maybe something will happen.



    That is random.
    First, it never really feels the same as it does before.
    Second, don't try to force anything if it will be it will be, if you don't feel the same as they do for you though, it might be time to move on.

  5. - Top - End - #1115
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Repeat after me. "You're scaring me. If you want me to keep talking to you, seek professional help." Then be willing to follow up on that if she doesn't.

    You can't and shouldn't be expected to fix this all on your own. All you can do is help connect her with somebody who is trained to handle this sort of thing, and be willing to extricate yourself if she's unwilling to get help.
    Seconded. This is sound advice. Do you have any mutual friends that could talk to her as well?

  6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Glass Mouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmcrow View Post
    Seconded. This is sound advice. Do you have any mutual friends that could talk to her as well?
    This. Giving a heads-up to friends or trusted family members of hers may be a good idea.
    Catch me on: Twitter - DeviantART

    Are you a creative person? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE and up your productivity!

    Spoiler
    Show

    Challenge badge, courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

  7. - Top - End - #1117
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Serpentine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adrift in a sea of woe.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Elm, you haven't actually said anything direct. You've just been dancing around not getting to the point and hoping she'll read your mind. My interpretation of her behaviour is that she sees you getting distant and (rightly) thinks she's losing you, so she's getting more intense in an attempt to get you back again.
    You need to just man up and tell her you're breaking up with her. No "I want time alone", no "I want the relationship toned down", just a simple "Carol, I am breaking up with you. We are no longer in a relationship." THEN, as Reluctance so graciously allowed, you could direct her to some mental health services in her area to help her get through it in a healthy manner.
    Have the guts to actually break up with the poor girl so she can know her behaviour is stalkery rather than concerned girlfriendy, then we can deal with any creeperness.

  8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Elm, you haven't actually said anything direct. You've just been dancing around not getting to the point and hoping she'll read your mind. My interpretation of her behaviour is that she sees you getting distant and (rightly) thinks she's losing you, so she's getting more intense in an attempt to get you back again.
    You need to just man up and tell her you're breaking up with her. No "I want time alone", no "I want the relationship toned down", just a simple "Carol, I am breaking up with you. We are no longer in a relationship." THEN, as Reluctance so graciously allowed, you could direct her to some mental health services in her area to help her get through it in a healthy manner.
    Have the guts to actually break up with the poor girl so she can know her behaviour is stalkery rather than concerned girlfriendy, then we can deal with any creeperness.
    I'm going to agree with Serps here. Until you've directly broken up with her you can't tell her to get help.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Karen Lynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In my space ship
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Here I come.
    Spoiled for length and some vulgarities.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Was dating a girl through part of high school, and can say I fell in love with her easily. We were good together, to ourselves, and to each other. I moved away for school, came back to town, and things were different. We were still romantic a bit, but not like before. I chalked that up to not seeing each other in a while.

    Then I became a long haul truck driver. I'm gone for weeks, months at a time. I get a new place in town, and tell her I want to spend more time together. She says she'd like that. I get into town, she blows me off. I'm thinking no big deal, maybe she got called in to work. We hang out the next day. I tell her I've missed her, glad to see her again, and was offered a local job. We go out, nice little date, long walk by the river, having fun like old times. She seemed distant and cold to me, not welcoming a hug, and making it a point to avoid a kiss.

    We stop at a store to grab some cortizone(bugs eat her alive), and get back to the car. Sitting there, I hear her phone vibrate, and glance down on reaction. Notice another guy texting her "I love you". I'm thinking, again, No big deal. Maybe she's got another guy after her. I always sent her that same message, and got a smiley face at most, no response more often.

    She then spends three minutes replying to the text. As we get close to our normal meet up point, I ask calmly if she'd met anyone new.

    "Yeah, there is this one guy I'm sort of seeing."

    Just like that.

    "But I really like hanging out with you. You're a great friend."

    Yeah, wasn't even going to tell me she's seeing someone, if only as a way to get me to stop texting little "I love you"s and cute pics.

    I got upset, and just cut the faux date right there. Went to the bar with some friends, and drank. Pissed and moaned, bitched and whined. Felt better the next day, told her how it made me feel with nice, clean, polite words and sentence structure. How it made me feel disrespected, played along. She said that she didn't know I was interested in her that way*. I tried keeping a smile on my face, but it hurts. It cut deep. I texted her a few minutes ago, just the classic "What's up?". "Not much. Shoe shopping for heels for a show with my boyfriend."

    Like, now you know, I can tell you. That hurt more. Told her I couldn't keep pretending, that I felt strongly for her, and "being just friends isn't good enough. Goodbye."

    "Ok. Bye."


    Please tell me I handled that extremely poorly and ruined a great friendship over a perceived slight. All I've felt was a twisting void in my heart and the pit of my stomach every time I think of her going out with this guy who, a year ago, she said she couldn't see herself dating.

    I would love to know I'm the one responsible so this mild temporary depression is at least entirely my fault.

    *Really, she meant it. How the **** is a guy who says he loves you, would give up his career and work local to see you more, and gives up half his ****ing diet not interested?



    Also, to answer a question from way earlier in the thread,

    23, been in several relationships, but only been in love twice. This post is regarding the second time.
    Last edited by Karen Lynn; 2012-09-04 at 04:55 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #1120
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Serpentine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adrift in a sea of woe.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    So... Were you guys in a relationship? Not in a relationship? Did you think you were but she didn't in which case how? Were you going out but then broke up when you left? Just what sort of a relationship did you two have, there? Cuz the answer to your question pretty much depends on the answer to these ones.

  11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Here I come.
    Spoiled for length and some vulgarities.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Was dating a girl through part of high school, and can say I fell in love with her easily. We were good together, to ourselves, and to each other. I moved away for school, came back to town, and things were different. We were still romantic a bit, but not like before. I chalked that up to not seeing each other in a while.

    Then I became a long haul truck driver. I'm gone for weeks, months at a time. I get a new place in town, and tell her I want to spend more time together. She says she'd like that. I get into town, she blows me off. I'm thinking no big deal, maybe she got called in to work. We hang out the next day. I tell her I've missed her, glad to see her again, and was offered a local job. We go out, nice little date, long walk by the river, having fun like old times. She seemed distant and cold to me, not welcoming a hug, and making it a point to avoid a kiss.

    We stop at a store to grab some cortizone(bugs eat her alive), and get back to the car. Sitting there, I hear her phone vibrate, and glance down on reaction. Notice another guy texting her "I love you". I'm thinking, again, No big deal. Maybe she's got another guy after her. I always sent her that same message, and got a smiley face at most, no response more often.

    She then spends three minutes replying to the text. As we get close to our normal meet up point, I ask calmly if she'd met anyone new.

    "Yeah, there is this one guy I'm sort of seeing."

    Just like that.

    "But I really like hanging out with you. You're a great friend."

    Yeah, wasn't even going to tell me she's seeing someone, if only as a way to get me to stop texting little "I love you"s and cute pics.

    I got upset, and just cut the faux date right there. Went to the bar with some friends, and drank. Pissed and moaned, bitched and whined. Felt better the next day, told her how it made me feel with nice, clean, polite words and sentence structure. How it made me feel disrespected, played along. She said that she didn't know I was interested in her that way*. I tried keeping a smile on my face, but it hurts. It cut deep. I texted her a few minutes ago, just the classic "What's up?". "Not much. Shoe shopping for heels for a show with my boyfriend."

    Like, now you know, I can tell you. That hurt more. Told her I couldn't keep pretending, that I felt strongly for her, and "being just friends isn't good enough. Goodbye."

    "Ok. Bye."


    Please tell me I handled that extremely poorly and ruined a great friendship over a perceived slight. All I've felt was a twisting void in my heart and the pit of my stomach every time I think of her going out with this guy who, a year ago, she said she couldn't see herself dating.

    I would love to know I'm the one responsible so this mild temporary depression is at least entirely my fault.

    *Really, she meant it. How the **** is a guy who says he loves you, would give up his career and work local to see you more, and gives up half his ****ing diet not interested?



    Also, to answer a question from way earlier in the thread,

    23, been in several relationships, but only been in love twice. This post is regarding the second time.
    Huh. So before, you went on dates, held hands, kissed, and all that jazz, you thought you were dating, and she didn't thing you were dating?
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Karen Lynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In my space ship
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    So... Were you guys in a relationship? Not in a relationship? Did you think you were but she didn't in which case how? Were you going out but then broke up when you left? Just what sort of a relationship did you two have, there? Cuz the answer to your question pretty much depends on the answer to these ones.
    Before, yes. Not now. I thought the intent of going on a date was to start a relationship. We broke up when I left. We were close and intimate back then.

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Huh. So before, you went on dates, held hands, kissed, and all that jazz, you thought you were dating, and she didn't thing you were dating?
    We both knew we were dating back then. Now, I thought we were going to rekindle it, and I was honest and direct in my intent.

  13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Before, yes. Not now. I thought the intent of going on a date was to start a relationship. We broke up when I left. We were close and intimate back then.

    We both knew we were dating back then. Now, I thought we were going to rekindle it, and I was honest and direct in my intent.
    Ah, I see. Well, if you were clear in your intent, she's the one at fault for playing you along. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AtlanteanTroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oberlin College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    So, this is an odd one.

    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so I have three friends. Let's call them Mary, John, and Haley. I like Haley. John and Haley used to date, but don't any more. Mary is a new girl, and because she's into similar stuff as Haley and I, she quickly joined our friend group. Mary and Haley are both bi, and Mary started flirting with Haley, and Haley just sort of played along with it. Mary and I were together in a cafe writing an essay when she told me she had figured out I like Haley, but that it was OK because she wasn't actually comfortable dating a girl even if she did like Haley (among some other things). She then started fooling around with John. I was talking with John later, alone, and he was saying how great Mary is. Mary was then hanging out with some other friends of mine, John, and Haley's when none of use were around. My friends have reported that Mary said what she was doing with John wasn't serious at all, and that it didn't actually mean anything.

    I have two questions.

    1: Should I tell John so that he doesn't end up getting hurt.
    2: Should I continue to hang out with Mary? She's nice (she's insisting on making me a birthday cake and wants to take me to her youthgroup), but ever since I met her she's sent me bad vibes.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-09-04 at 06:44 PM.
    My BRAND NEW art thread! Please, stop on down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

  15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    So, this is an odd one.

    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so I have three friends. Let's call them Mary, John, and Haley. I like Haley. John and Haley used to date, but don't any more. Mary is a new girl, and because she's into similar stuff as Haley and I, she quickly joined our friend group. Mary and Haley are both bi, and Haley started flirting with Haley, and Haley just sort of played along with it. Mary and I were together in a cafe writing an essay when she told me she had figured out I like Haley, but that it was OK because she wasn't actually comfortable dating a girl even if she did like Haley (among some other things). She then started fooling around with John. I was talking with John later, alone, and he was saying how great Mary is. Mary was then hanging out with some other friends of mine, John, and Haley's when none of use were around. My friends have reported that Mary said what she was doing with John wasn't serious at all, and that it didn't actually mean anything.

    I have two questions.

    1: Should I tell John so that he doesn't end up getting hurt.
    2: Should I continue to hang out with Mary? She's nice (she's insisting on making me a birthday cake and wants to take me to her youthgroup), but ever since I met her she's sent me bad vibes.
    Mildly confused over bolded bit, but I think I got it.
    Hmm...I'd say not to tell John right away because it's possible that you have a game of telephone going on here and didn't get an accurate report. Or tell him that you heard something and he should talk to her. I'm not really sure.
    For #2, I'd say that if you enjoy her company, you should hang out with her until everything blows up in a huge cloud of adolescent drama. (That's what I did in high school, anyway.)
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-09-04 at 06:42 PM.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AtlanteanTroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oberlin College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    I hope it's just a big game of telephone ... Also, fixed the mistake.
    My BRAND NEW art thread! Please, stop on down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

  17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lord Loss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    I'd say not to tell John anything unless he asks, for now at least. When you have more information you can figure out what you want to do based on that.

    As for number 2, norparlpf nailed it. For number one as well, actually...
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!

    My Trophies!

    Spoiler
    Show





    Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

  18. - Top - End - #1128
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Well, time to toss my hat into the "weird situations" ring. I'm not really seeking advice, I'm just venting, but If you have any comments, I'd appreciate them anyway.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I have two friends: Tia* and Kevin.* We're all on choir together. Kevin and I have been tongue-in-cheek rivals since he joined. We're always trying to outdo each other, ragging on each other, and basically being jerks, but it's all in a respectful sort of way.

    Problem is, we both like Tia.

    Honestly, Tia and I started out a bit in opposition (Read: Our first encounter involved me calling her names [jokingly, but she didn't know] and our second had her slapping me in the face after I messed with her hair), but months of choir and group Bible Study and other such things (and the knowledge that she's an anime fan) have made us pretty close. And starting at the beginning of summer, I began to court her, so to speak. There were gifts and hugs and chaste kisses, all initiated by me with her not complaining. But since I'm known as a very touchy-feely kind of guy, I talked with her Friday past (Shooing away Kevin, even) so she knew I was being serious about pursuing her. Suffice it to say that she'd love to go out with me... if I'm still interested in a few months when she feels ready to get back on the dating scene (Long story). But we're all cool. The three of us even had a whole discussion about the Power Creep in various long-running anime series on Sunday, and she even made references to how I feel about her.

    Then there's this girl Clara* who's been my friend for years, but her family doesn't come to church often enough for us to hang out regularly. When we go on church trips and such, she's usually there, and she practically glues herself to me when she has the chance. That being said, She's... incredibly socially awkward. Mainly it has to do with an obvious flaw that she's really self-conscious about, but she has no idea how to talk to people, mostly due to said obvious flaw. I started hanging out with her more out of empathy than anything else (I know what it's like to be the awkward guy in the room, and I still haven't broken out of that just yet), but she's actually a very interesting person and we have a lot in common. I'm afraid that she actually "feels some type of way" about me. I mean, she gave me her tumblr username. Nobody gives real-life people their tumblr name. I'm figuring out how to bring it up without being blunt about it.


    *Name Changed

  19. - Top - End - #1129
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Viking Bar Fight
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Chaste kisses? Really going to go with that one, eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Nobody gives real-life people their tumblr name. I'm figuring out how to bring it up without being blunt about it.
    Oh? I'd better go tell my friends who've found and followed one another on Tumblr that they're doing it wrong then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    I don't get "chaste kisses". To me, kissing seems like a thing one does only with a very intimate loved one. But I'm weird.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    The chasteness of a kiss is determined by three factors:
    Location. A kiss on the forehead is different from a French kiss is different from a kiss on the neck.
    Duration. A .5-second peck is friendly. A drawn-out 5 or 6-second smooch is flirty.
    Cultural mores. It's not uncommon where I'm from for girls to kiss their friends, guy or girl, on the cheek or even on the side of the mouth as a simple greeting. Kind of like how bonobos have all sorts of sexual bidness going down on a regular basis.

    And the tumblr thing has more to do with what kind of blog you have. IE if you have ever used the word "feels" and not as a verb... NOBODY you know IRL is getting anywhere near your blog unless they're also rabid fans of whatever gave you those feels.

  22. - Top - End - #1132
    Troll in the Playground
     
    dehro's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    This. Giving a heads-up to friends or trusted family members of hers may be a good idea.
    seconded..also, yes, dump her. in no uncertain terms if you think she wouldn't "get it" otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Before, yes. Not now. I thought the intent of going on a date was to start a relationship. We broke up when I left. We were close and intimate back then.



    We both knew we were dating back then. Now, I thought we were going to rekindle it, and I was honest and direct in my intent.
    you broke up and moved away.. she moved on and you did not. it's sad, but you're better off cutting relations if it makes you hurt.. who knows..maybe one day you'll meet again as friends.. right now distance is probably the best thing.

    @AtlanteanTroll
    hearsay and second hand information are the worst possible things to act on.
    90% of the morons who go on talk shows for paternity tests and lie detectors () go there because of hearsay and friends interference.. however well meant it may be.
    yes, I realize I'm not doing you a favour comparing you to imbred numbnuts who can't tell that when they're both as white as can be, having a thoroughly black son might be a sign of foul play... but you get my point.
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-09-05 at 02:59 AM.
    a triple cheer for Wojiz, for making me my very own Avatar...
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Proud founder of the Vetinari Fanclub
    Spoiler
    Show

    with many thanks to Avi for the siggatar

  23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    The chasteness of a kiss is determined by three factors:
    Location. A kiss on the forehead is different from a French kiss is different from a kiss on the neck.
    Duration. A .5-second peck is friendly. A drawn-out 5 or 6-second smooch is flirty.
    Cultural mores. It's not uncommon where I'm from for girls to kiss their friends, guy or girl, on the cheek or even on the side of the mouth as a simple greeting. Kind of like how bonobos have all sorts of sexual bidness going down on a regular basis.
    Five or six seconds sounds like more than "flirty" to me. But okay.


    AtlanteanTroll: I think another option would be to ask whatserface directly if what you heard is accurate.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AtlanteanTroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oberlin College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    I suppose so, but I'm not really the confrontational type. I think I'm just going to see how this whole thing goes for a bit longer.
    My BRAND NEW art thread! Please, stop on down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

  25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The Succubus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Five or six seconds sounds like more than "flirty" to me. But okay.
    Well, if someone wants to find me a pretty girl and a stopwatch, I'd be more than happy to research this for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Succubus gets grongratulatory cookies from me. You have stepped into the realm of puns that only the likes of Death, Your Friend the Reaper have seen.

    Posting schedule likely to be erratic for the next few weeks - sorting out some personal stuff.

  26. - Top - End - #1136
    Troll in the Playground
     
    dehro's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Well, if someone wants to find me a pretty girl and a stopwatch, I'd be more than happy to research this for you.
    I have a stopwatch
    a triple cheer for Wojiz, for making me my very own Avatar...
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Proud founder of the Vetinari Fanclub
    Spoiler
    Show

    with many thanks to Avi for the siggatar

  27. - Top - End - #1137
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pheehelm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I smell chocolate
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    I'm thinking after 5-6 seconds you've lost plausible deniability, which is a defining element of "flirty."
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

  28. - Top - End - #1138
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    I'm thinking after 5-6 seconds you've lost plausible deniability, which is a defining element of "flirty."
    Here's the thing, though:

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    ...Cultural mores....

  29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sholos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Well, if someone wants to find me a pretty girl and a stopwatch, I'd be more than happy to research this for you.
    Need more than one data point, too, so I selflessly volunteer as another research participant.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

    Save the catgirls!

  30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

    My version of flirting is apparently just acting normally. Then for some reason girls fall for me. It's annoying.


    Edit: This conversation ended a bit back, but I saw this today:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-09-05 at 03:49 PM.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •