New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Recommend me some SRPG games.

Today I felt like playing an Strategy RPG game however I realised I didn't have any new ones in my games library and seeing as I haven't bought very many games apart from Fighting Games in a while I feel like I should look into buying one to play. I remember there being quite a few SRPG players on these boards so I thought I'd try asking you fine folk for some suggestions. The only ones I can remember playing are various Fire Emblem games and FF Tactics Advance 2 (I quit this game pretty early on as it seemed really slow paced),I know I've at least dabbled in more than this but I can't really remember what they were.

The game's story isn't a high priority in what I'm looking for and I'd rather suggestions of games with good gameplay and lackluster story than games with mediocre gameplay but great stories. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for gameplay wise right now, the only thing I can really say about my tastes are that I found Tactics Advance 2 to be really slow paced and that bored me. That said even if a game is a bit slow recomend it anyway (with a little warning about that) if you truly think it is good enough to warrant a play despite that.

I can play games on any of the following systems without too much hassle:

NES
    SNES
    GBA
    PS3
    PS2
    DS
    PSP
    PC
    Wii (This one is a little dodgy as my Wii has a lot of disc read errors so I'd rather avoid it if possible).

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2012-04-16 at 02:07 PM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Recommend me some SRPG games.

Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3? A curious mix of turn-based strategy and third person shooting with a unique graphical style and a wide array of characters to choose from, most of them with quite a bit of personality.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Since you said PC, I'd recommend the Heroes series, obviously. In this order: 3, 4, 6.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-04-16 at 07:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There's Battle For Wesnoth, a free PC game with a bunch of campaigns. If you're already versed in the genre, I'd recommend starting with Under The Burning Suns, which is very fun, if murderously difficult.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I may ask, what did you find slow about FFTA2? Was it the story, battles, animation speed or what?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Would something with excellent gameplay and story be acceptable? If so, Devil Survivor, for the DS. Overclocked for the 3DS has better gameplay, as does Devil Survivor 2, but it's a pretty fantastic game, all the same. Definitely a must-play.

(And you can play on an easier setting, but I imagine that's a non-issue after all the Atlus games you've played.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Jagged Alliance 2, without a doubt. Tactical squad-based RPstrategy, more or less. Also, the best game ever.

Silent Storm is another good game to a similar effect.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Any of the Super Robot Taisen games. All are easy enough to pick up and play with no knowledge of Japanese, though a few are translated if need be (those being OG, OG2, J, @ Gaiden and Alpha 1 iirc)
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

It took this long to mention Disgaea? Huh...

The main series is 4 games strong across PS2 and PS3, with ports to PSP and DS, so you certainly have choice about system. There's also La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, the list goes on and on. Just check out Nippon Ichi and you'll find an SRPG that's quirky yet fun and addictive.

Front Mission is another good series of SRPG, focused around mecha. I've only had the pleasure of playing FM4 but it's undoubtedly one of my favorite games.

I also give kudos to Battle for Wesnoth, which recently updated with a new campaign, this time based around the merfolk, which is definitely different than most of the campaigns. They also have a metric ton of fan campaigns available, many of which are really good.

Heroes of Might and Magic and King's Bounty follow similar paths as SRPGs go and are fairly fun to boot. I've only played the odd numbered Heroes games but I had fun with all of them. The original is somewhat dated these days, so you may want to start at 3 and go from there.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!