New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Monsters Multiple attacks

Hi guys i'm quite new to this game, we've started playing last week and i kind of stumbled into a question:
    however my question occurred while going through the MM. The monsters, espacially Animals that have their Full Attack listed with 2claws and 1 bite (e.g. DIre Wolverine) , do they attack two times with a claw and then once with bite or is it only one attack with both claws dealing the same amound of Dmg a single claw does when doing a standard attack?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Monsters Multiple attacks

Let's take for example a Lion which has as you say 2 claws and one bite, it would make two claw attacks (each at a +7 bonus) dealing full damage for each one (1d4+5*) and then a bite attack at +2 bonus.

There is a pretty good monster handbook by Ur-priest (which might cover this aspects; but I am not sure) and another one focused on Natural weapons, so you might wand to check them if you have more questions concerning monsters and/or natural attack routines.

*Which is weird since large sized claws should make 1d6...
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Uhh... your wording is weird... when they Full attack, they use the bite and the claws, and their standard action they use just the bite. The claws and bite do a set amount of damage, regardless of the action of the attack.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    *Which is weird since large sized claws should make 1d6...
    There is no standardized claw weapon for which you could make such a statement. A lion's claws deal 1d4, while a same-sized tiger's claws deal 1d8. This means that a tiger's claws are just more deadly than a lion's, even though the two creatures are both Large.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I said that thinking on PC claw damage values, as shown by tables such as Claws of the Beast power and Dragon Disciple and following the dice progression of larger weapons. I assumed that everything was in accord to those rules.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nope, those only apply to that particular power/template.

Simplicity wasn't really the goal when they designed the 3rd Edition rules.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-04-16 at 09:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    There is no standardized claw weapon for which you could make such a statement. A lion's claws deal 1d4, while a same-sized tiger's claws deal 1d8. This means that a tiger's claws are just more deadly than a lion's, even though the two creatures are both Large.
    Their is actually, but expecting WoTC to follow it's own rules when making monsters or example characters is silly. XD

MM 296 IIRC
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Their is actually, but expecting WoTC to follow it's own rules when making monsters or example characters is silly. XD

MM 296 IIRC
    The section about creating new monsters from scratch? That table lists the "suggested damage value" for natural attack types. Actual damage values can (and do) vary from monster to monster. Since they are specifically called out as suggestions (not rules), there is no expectation for every single monster to fall in line with what the table says.

Basically, if I wanted to create a monster that was Medium size, but had abnormally large teeth, I would take the suggested damage for a Medium bite attack (1d6) and increase it to the next higher value (1d8) to represent the extra threat of its oversized jaws.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

sorry if my wording is incorrect or difficult to understand, i'm not a native speaker...
    i already read urpriests Monster guide.. except the part for playing beast races. i just couldn't remember hearing or reading anywhere how this two-claw thing is meant to be. so thanks for helping me out.
    So its Claw + Claw + Bite, with both claws at the same Attack Bonus.