New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Spiderblood Assassin [3.5e Class][PEACH]

You have a point.... but wouldn't that mean that your web would be able to hold on to as many medium-sized creatures as you want without it breaking if it were to work like a rope? Also, what if the SBA has a spell that allows him to become a cat, there is no player race small enough to climb that, though a spider-cat would be interesting...

Also, for web grenade, a few things I've come up with is that it would be a 5ft radius, will require an Escape Artist check (DC of X + level of SBA) to get out of, and will be able to be thrown X feet (maybe 30?).

Also, for Silk Weaver, why is it that you are only able to make horizontal and vertical webs? Why not diagonal webs? And how about the ability to spend extra actions making a larger strand of silk (like you can spend a full-round action to make it longer, or spend a swift action to go with the standard action).
    "I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it" - Edgar Allen Poe

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterstalker2 View Post
    You have a point.... but wouldn't that mean that your web would be able to hold on to as many medium-sized creatures as you want without it breaking if it were to work like a rope? Also, what if the SBA has a spell that allows him to become a cat, there is no player race small enough to climb that, though a spider-cat would be interesting...
    I guess it is more up to DM rather than mechanics. Also Kobolds would be able to climb that without problem.

Also, for web grenade, a few things I've come up with is that it would be a 5ft radius, will require an Escape Artist check (DC of X + level of SBA) to get out of, and will be able to be thrown X feet (maybe 30?).
    I suggest you look at the Web Hunter Advanced Talent.

Also, for Silk Weaver, why is it that you are only able to make horizontal and vertical webs? Why not diagonal webs? And how about the ability to spend extra actions making a larger strand of silk (like you can spend a full-round action to make it longer, or spend a swift action to go with the standard action).
    Mainly because I couldn't figure out how to write it out.

EDIT: Also that Quote in your Signature was orginally from Edgar Allan Poe.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-05-02 at 01:41 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, I was thinking that the web grenade could be a normal technique that would be a lower level version of Web Hunter.

For Silk Weaver, do you mean for using different actions to create more silk? I was thinking that it could add 50% of the total amount of web you can make (like using a swift action with the standard action would make it so that you can make it 45 feet).

Also, for Web Slinging, how about the ability to catch someone who is falling by catching them with web, and also the ability to catch someone the same size as you or smaller mid-swing. I also suggest adding to Web Slinging the ability to carry a creature up to the same size category with you while using Web Slinging (you could say that the person shifts from one hand to another, is held by web, is holding onto you, or something else).

Also, thank you for telling me where the quote in my signature is from.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-02 at 09:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I've seen that you've started an entry for the new Pathfinder Grab Bag, it ended up giving me an idea. How about you make a second kind (separate from the Grab Bag entry) that is a Venom-based Prestige Class for Spider Blood Assassin. You could also have it as a Technique or as an Advanced Technique (probably Advanced Technique).

For it, you could have multiple versions, there would be three versions, Venom (could be considered Neutral for this), Carnage (Evil), and Toxin (Good), or you could have them give the SBA the abilities associated with them (could check wikipedia). Though, if you did add this, the SBA would be limited to being bonded with only one symbiote as to prevent them from becoming overpowered.

I would really like to see this added, since it seems like it would be fun to me.

Also, maybe an (Advanced) Technique or class feature that allows you to turn into a Medium-sized or Large-sized Spider X amount of times per day.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-02 at 10:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Well, I was thinking that the web grenade could be a normal technique that would be a lower level version of Web Hunter.
    I'll think about adding it in as a Basic Talent.

For Silk Weaver, do you mean for using different actions to create more silk? I was thinking that it could add 50% of the total amount of web you can make (like using a swift action with the standard action would make it so that you can make it 45 feet).
    Not sure of what your saying could you explain?

Also, for Web Slinging, how about the ability to catch someone who is falling by catching them with web, and also the ability to catch someone the same size as you or smaller mid-swing. I also suggest adding to Web Slinging the ability to carry a creature up to the same size category with you while using Web Slinging (you could say that the person shifts from one hand to another, is held by web, is holding onto you, or something else).
    You can already grab people mid-swing as far as I'm aware, the same way that you can grab people mid-flight.

Also, thank you for telling me where the quote in my signature is from.
    Your welcome.

I've seen that you've started an entry for the new Pathfinder Grab Bag, it ended up giving me an idea. How about you make a second kind (separate from the Grab Bag entry) that is a Venom-based Prestige Class for Spider Blood Assassin. You could also have it as a Technique or as an Advanced Technique (probably Advanced Technique).
    I'll think about it, but I don't think I will. This is because when I make prestige classes they have 20 levels rather than 10 or 5. It would be exactly the same as the Tainted Scion Of Venom thus pointless.

For it, you could have multiple versions, there would be three versions, Venom (could be considered Neutral for this), Carnage (Evil), and Toxin (Good), or you could have them give the SBA the abilities associated with them (could check wikipedia). Though, if you did add this, the SBA would be limited to being bonded with only one symbiote as to prevent them from becoming overpowered.
    IMO There traits aren't really varied enough to be seperate classes.

Also, maybe an (Advanced) Technique or class feature that allows you to turn into a Medium-sized or Large-sized Spider X amount of times per day.
    I'd prefer to stay away from the Mystical themed stuff.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thank you for responding, also the thing about being able to turn into a spider has to do with one of the Spiderman comics I read about on Wikipedia where Spiderman becomes a giant spider temporarily, so that Marvel can use the story to give that version of him powers rather than him using web launchers.

Also, for the thing about the symbiotes as a Technique or Advanced Technique, or as a Feature where you choose which symbiote you want at a certain level, you have to admit that it would be cool. Each symbiote would have its own advantages (and possibly disadvantages) that the SBA would receive depending on which symbiote he selected. You would probably be limited on the amount of times you can use the symbiote each day to prevent it from being overpowered. The symbiote would have it's own INT, WIS, and CHA when its not in use, and would be able to communicate with the SBA.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-02 at 11:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Oh, forgot to mention the thing about Silk Weaver.

What I had meant is that, you can already use a Standard Action to make a 30 foot strand of silk. How about being able to expend other actions along with the Standard Action to make it longer, like using a Move Action or Swift Action along with the Standard Action already being used. Also, to have it at it's longest, you could use a Full-Round Action to make the the strand of web.

8. - Top - End - #38

Thank you for responding, also the thing about being able to turn into a spider has to do with one of the Spiderman comics I read about on Wikipedia where Spiderman becomes a giant spider temporarily, so that Marvel can use the story to give that version of him powers rather than him using web launchers.
    I think your talking about when he when he turned into Man-Spider and he dies and comes back with new powers. That transformation was actually caused by another person and it isn't one of his abilities.

Also, for the thing about the symbiotes as a Technique or Advanced Technique, or as a Feature where you choose which symbiote you want at a certain level, you have to admit that it would be cool. Each symbiote would have its own advantages (and possibly disadvantages) that the SBA would receive depending on which symbiote he selected. You would probably be limited on the amount of times you can use the symbiote each day to prevent it from being overpowered. The symbiote would have it's own INT, WIS, and CHA when its not in use, and would be able to communicate with the SBA.
    [/QUOTE]
    Symbiotes never gave their masters any power and completely dominated them (other than Toxin and Venom (Which don't really count as they are insane)) so if that it would turn them the SBA into an NPC.

Oh, forgot to mention the thing about Silk Weaver.

What I had meant is that, you can already use a Standard Action to make a 30 foot strand of silk. How about being able to expend other actions along with the Standard Action to make it longer, like using a Move Action or Swift Action along with the Standard Action already being used. Also, to have it at it's longest, you could use a Full-Round Action to make the the strand of web.
    Good idea.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For the symbiotes, you could find a way to justify it, like the symbiote and SBA being friends or something, or, when the SBA bonds with the symbiote, they have to go through an hour long ritual that prevents the symbiote from taking over (though you can have it so that the symbiote cannot be used all the time). You can have the Symbiote and SBA make a deal (an example, that would not be set in stone, could be that when the SBA normally sleeps, the symbiote has his "playtime" and the SBA becomes fully rested.

Also, about your argument that the symbiote takes over their host, making the SBA an NPC, wouldn't that make your (insert class name here) class pointless? You'd have to add the ritual for it to work is the thing, or else you just create a character who is immediately an NPC.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 01:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Could you place that comment about the NPCification on the Comments page for the competition (Here is a link so you don't have to search) as I'm not meant to even mention my entry on other threads as part of the rules.

As for the ritual. That seems rather mystical in nature. Also I believe that a Symbiote would be very overpowered as an ability as it increases so many traits.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, its Pathfinder or D&D 3.5, stuff is mystical, the Spider Thralls are mystical, their ritual is mystical, so it would make sense to allow a ritual and/or deal with the symbiote.

Also, to prevent the symbiote from being overpowered, you would be limited to the amount of times per day you can use it. I was thinking that it would be SBA class levels + CHA modifier or something similar to that. Also, I think that the symbiote would be nothing compared to the Monk's Quivering Palm ability.

12. - Top - End - #42

Well, its Pathfinder or D&D 3.5, stuff is mystical, the Spider Thralls are mystical, their ritual is mystical, so it would make sense to allow a ritual and/or deal with the symbiote.

Also, to prevent the symbiote from being overpowered, you would be limited to the amount of times per day you can use it. I was thinking that it would be SBA class levels + CHA modifier or something similar to that. Also, I think that the symbiote would be nothing compared to the Monk's Quivering Palm ability.
    Spider Thralls are the capstone and I wanted him to be able to command arthropods at some stage as he does so in The Other.

Also even with limited uses per day it would still be overpowering. Symbiote would be more powerful than Rage which is the Key Feature of the Barbarian giving it access to something which is more powerful than the point of a whole other class is overpowering.

As FYI this class is aimed at Upper Tier 3 (maybe low 2) for balance and don't want to go higher.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The symbiote would have disadvantages to prevent it from being overpowered.

Also, have you seen some of the rage powers a Barbarian can get? One power allows them to grow wings and fly. Another power allows them to move X3 or X6 their speed once per rage. They can gain DR/-, and another gives them a scent ability. Another power allows them to deal double crit damage on one attack when raging. Also, the Rage ability already gives +4 to STR and CON along with a +2 to Will saves.

The Symbiote for SBA could be similar to Rage for the Barbarian in that there are Symbiote Powers or something. The Symbiote would work for X amount of rounds per use, and could be used X amount of times per day. Also, Symbiotes don't give their host any power, it depends on the Symbiote. The Symbiote would cause its host to be fatigued after being activated.

Also, Venom and Toxin aren't insane, especially compared to the rest of their species. Venom's species are parasites that infect a host and drain their adrenaline, eventually killing them. They isolated Venom because he wanted to commit to one host, rather than use it up.

According to the Planet of the Symbiotes storyline, he was deemed insane by his own race and imprisoned on Battleworld to prevent it from polluting the gene pool when his race discovered that Venom desired to commit to his host rather than use it up.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 05:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

That would be overpowered. This class is already rather powerful and I don't want to upset the balance or make other classes pointless.

And Venom is insane for his species. In his culture, commiting to a single host is a form of insanity.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'll agree on both things that you said because your right.

Though, despite Venom being insane for his species, he is somewhere between a villain and an antihero, he is Spider-Man's arch-nemesis, though he and Brock will agree to help innocents.

Also, I now have an idea for and Ex-Spider Blood Assassin.
    If you become infected with a Symbiote, if you attempt to resist it and let it bond with you, or you fail to resist it (failing a Will Save) and fail to get rid of it within the next 1d4 days, all your levels in Spider Blood Assassin become levels in your Grab Bag class, and you can no longer take levels in SBA, unless a spell such as Wish or Atonement is used. Along with Vice Versa for your Grab Bag class, where you have to regain the Symbiote in 1d4 days or your levels in the class become Spider Blood Assassin levels unless a spell such as Wish or Atonement is used on you.

16. - Top - End - #46

Though, despite Venom being insane for his species, he is somewhere between a villain and an antihero, he is Spider-Man's arch-nemesis, though he and Brock will agree to help innocents.
    Just because he is insane doesn't mean he can't be good.

Also, I now have an idea for and Ex-Spider Blood Assassin.
    If you become infected with a Symbiote, if you attempt to resist it and let it bond with you, or you fail to resist it (failing a Will Save) and fail to get rid of it within the next 1d4 days, all your levels in Spider Blood Assassin become levels in your Grab Bag class, and you can no longer take levels in SBA, unless a spell such as Wish or Atonement is used. Along with Vice Versa for your Grab Bag class, where you have to regain the Symbiote in 1d4 days or your levels in the class become Spider Blood Assassin levels unless a spell such as Wish or Atonement is used on you.
    Good idea. I hope this doesn't break the rules though. I'll ask on the comment page to make sure I can reference it.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I suggest adding to Grip of the Spider that, when the SBA does need to roll climb, he is allowed to take ten, even when threatened.

18. - Top - End - #48

I suggest adding to Grip of the Spider that, when the SBA does need to roll climb, he is allowed to take ten, even when threatened.
    Wouldn't that be pointless? You don't need to make climb checks with it.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The thing is that the Technique says that you don't have to make climb checks when traversing vertical or horizontal surfaces. What about diagonal surfaces (yes that was meant purely as a joke). What if they are doing something that involves rolling climb, they should have the ability to take 10, unless they don't have to roll climb for that either. Also, I suggest adding that they can reroll climb checks if they fail.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-05 at 01:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For Drain the Fluids, I suggest adding the ability for the SBA to use it to gain an amount of temporary health equal to their HDd8 (as is, a level 6 SBA with Drain the Fluids can get 6d8 temporary health), or you could have it lower.

21. - Top - End - #51

For Drain the Fluids, I suggest adding the ability for the SBA to use it to gain an amount of temporary health equal to their HDd8 (as is, a level 6 SBA with Drain the Fluids can get 6d8 temporary health), or you could have it lower.
    I prefer it being used as a health regaining function, this stops the SBA's from killing people before a fight so they can have tonnes of health.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The SBA would be attacked as by guards for killing random people, also, there would be a limit to the drain, like the creature drained has to be equal to or greater than the level of the SBA - X, and they gain 1 HD per level over X (where X equals something like the level of the SBA - 2).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

I noticed one game balance issue, in the Assassin technique ability, one of the abilities granted is
    Weapon Training: A Spider Blood Assassin that selects this technique gains Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus as bonus feats.
    , the problem with this is greater weapon focus is that it requires lv 8, but you could take this ability at level 2, besides that, i love the class, and will be implementing it into my campaign
    Last edited by ArkenBrony; 2012-05-09 at 02:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    I noticed one game balance issue, in the Assassin technique ability, one of the abilities granted is , the problem with this is greater weapon focus is that it requires lv 8, but you could take this ability at level 2, besides that, i love the class, and will be implementing it into my campaign
    I'll fix that.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

i might be missing where you can get it, but: i would imagine this class would gain the benfits of the "spiders climb" spell at later levels, but on constantly.
    is there a particular reason this isnt in (balance or fluff wise?) or is it just something you hadnt really considered.
    again, it might be in but im just missing the transition as the class does have several climbing abilities.

similarly, the possibility of crafting/spontaneously laying some kind of web mine (as the "web" spell) would fit well if that appeals to you

nice class though, i love the idea of dropping behind a guy via web

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by zegram 33 View Post
    i might be missing where you can get it, but: i would imagine this class would gain the benfits of the "spiders climb" spell at later levels, but on constantly.
    is there a particular reason this isnt in (balance or fluff wise?) or is it just something you hadnt really considered.
    again, it might be in but im just missing the transition as the class does have several climbing abilities.

similarly, the possibility of crafting/spontaneously laying some kind of web mine (as the "web" spell) would fit well if that appeals to you

nice class though, i love the idea of dropping behind a guy via web
    Spider Climb is one of his Assassin Techniques, called grip of the spider and Web is one of his Advanced Techniques, its called Web Hunter.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I just read over this class and INSTANTLY fell in love with it.
    Seriously, great job.
    One of my favorite things I found: Child of Araneae.
    I have an idea for assassin technique, maybe an advanced one.
    I honestly don't know how to fully implement it, but here it goes.
    Maybe a feature called "True Child of Araneae", "Greater Child of Araneae" or "Favored Child of Araneae", that improved the level of your spider companion.
    Example: You need to take Child of Araneae first, then if you take Favored Child of Araneae your druid level for your companion is equal to your assassin level.

Just an idea I had.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by DrewVolker View Post
    Hey, I just read over this class and INSTANTLY fell in love with it.
    Seriously, great job.
    One of my favorite things I found: Child of Araneae.
    I have an idea for assassin technique, maybe an advanced one.
    I honestly don't know how to fully implement it, but here it goes.
    Maybe a feature called "True Child of Araneae", "Greater Child of Araneae" or "Favored Child of Araneae", that improved the level of your spider companion.
    Example: You need to take Child of Araneae first, then if you take Favored Child of Araneae your druid level for your companion is equal to your assassin level.

Just an idea I had.
    Thanks.

As for your suggestion, Animal Companions automatically increase level as their master's level up. Thus so does the Child of Araneae. It doesn't increase much but it still useful.

But have just added in an Advanced Technique of the Chid of Araneae, it is called Disciple of Araneae.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also I have a quick question here.
    Are you intending for the assassin to use the rules for vermin companions in ultimate magic? Like use that version of the monstrous spider for this class's companion, then if they pick to get the large spider just apply the large adjustments to it?

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by DrewVolker View Post
    Also I have a quick question here.
    Are you intending for the assassin to use the rules for vermin companions in ultimate magic? Like use that version of the monstrous spider for this class's companion, then if they pick to get the large spider just apply the large adjustments to it?
    I've never seen those rules before. I've saddly not very familiar to the Pathfinder rules. I actually play 3.5e.

So saddly I'm not actually sure how to answer the question.
    Show