New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Random Places and Plots 5

[Not the Sky]

Okay. Can you lead me to him without me being seen by too many people? I don't want to scare anyone... Hildur reaches to take Jeromy's hand, but pulls back at the last second. Seems she doesn't want to touch him for some weird reason.

2. - Top - End - #302

[Prison]

Cathy will follow Freddy, of course!

"I still wonder why those light things brought us here..",
    she ponders, not too loud.
    Who knows what's hanging around here..

She'll be very cautious, hoping not to get attacked.
    But if they do get jumped, she's ready to shock them.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

3. - Top - End - #303

[Applevale]

Jeromy gives Hildur a rather apologetic look. "That might be hard, m'lady. The Temple is in a... rather prominent position in the village."

Right in the middle of it atop a hill. The highest point in the town in fact.

Though he'll take the clue and lead the way. Should Hildur choose to follow she'll be gawked at by more than a few villagers. Children playing in the street are quickly ushered inside by concerned mothers and the doors bolted. One little girl, however, manages to evade the watchful eye of parents and runs up along side Hildur with a pair of large leaves in her hands. She holds them behind herself, flapping them a little.

No doubt the children were playing a game of Dragons and Knights and she was 'it'. "Are your wings real, lady?" the girl asks. "They're so pretty! Like the stained glass at the Temple!"

Jeromy will attempt to shoo the girl away. "Run along home now, Jeanne. Lady Hildur needs to speak with Priest Luke. She doesn't have time for your questions."

The little girl stomps a foot and adopts a pouty look. "I want to talk to the pretty butterfly lady!" she protests rather loudly.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 04:49 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #304

[Appledale]

Hildur only feels more and more like an alien as parents bolt their doors, though from what little she's heard about Dragons, she supposes they were right to keep away from her. Didn't make her feel any better.

Then a small girl runs up to her and asks about her wings. Hildur looks at her and gives a sad smile as she keeps walking. They're real. Hopefully they won't be for long. She didn't find herself pretty at all. Granted, she was very confident about her looks before, but now she wasn't even human.

5. - Top - End - #305

[Applevale]

It takes a bit of coaxing but eventually Jeanne is sent running off home. Though not before she'll reach out to touch the edge of one of Hildur's wings. Whether or not that succeeds she'll skip off giggling. Clearly she's a bit too young to grasp the gravity of the situation.

As they near the Temple they'll be met with an interesting sight! Sitting out front is an Ebony Demi-Dragon the size of a large horse. As with any Demi-Dragon his build is quite a bit more Dragon than human, though human enough that he could operate comfortably on two legs or four. The monster's face retains enough human features that he would still be recognizable to someone who knew him before he was cursed by Discord.

The beast is clothed in a leather harness and saddle as if he were a horse, though with additional crimson cloth sown between the leather straps to make it look more like clothing. If Hildur where more familiar with the setting she would instantly recognize the emblem of the Inquisition.

Sitting next to the Demi-Dragon on a large rock is a sooty looking impish creature with an almost infant-like perportion to its body. With the addition of unnaturally spindly, long arms and legs. Two long pointy ears, two pin-prick white eyes, and a wide toothy grin adorn its face. The Boggart is wearing a tiny crimson fez and greedily devouring an apple in one hand and a loaf of bread in the other.

Watching over them is a guardsman armed with a spear and a whole bunch of nervousness.

When Jeromy spots the monster he falters for a moment before muttering to Hildur, "There must be an Inquisitor speaking with Priest Luke. You wait outside, I'll go in and tell him you're here."

And off he goes!

Hildur will be left alone with the demons of Discord and their reluctant chaperone.

The imp jabs at the dragon with an elbow. "Hey! Zaal! Look at the tail on that one!"

The Demi-Dragon, apparently named Zaal, gives the imp a distasteful look. "How many times have I told you that I don't approve of your crass descriptions of women? Calling any portion of a lady's anatomy a 'tail' is..."

He finally glances over at Hildur.

"...very... lude..." Zaal blinks a few times, staring at Hildur (or more specifically her tail) before averting his eyes in embarrassment.

The imp snickers rather loudly at his companion's reaction.

6. - Top - End - #306

[Applevale]

Since Hildur doesn't know how to move her wings (and doesn't really want to,) Jeanne is successful in touching one of them. Hildur hardly notices. When the pair reaches the temple, she glaces at the Demi-Dragon. Was that her fate if she couldn't be helped? She couldn't say it looked like a pleasant one.

She clearly hears the imp jeering at her tail, and shoots a glare at it and its companion. After a second or two, she just says a few very rude words in Swedish, just as much to insult the imp as to make sure she still knows her native language. Then she turns away.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-05-07 at 05:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307

[Applevale]

"You should go talk to her," the imp says between mouthfuls of apple.

The Demi-Dragon seems equal parts embarrassed, shocked, and horrified by this suggestion. "Given her condition I honestly doubt she would want to talk to me."

"Well you know what she's goin' through right now, yeah? AND I can tell you think she's hot!" the imp laughs.

Zaal shows his teeth at his companion. "Do NOT speak of ladies in such crass terms in my presence!"

"Hahaha! Fine!" the imp hops off his rock and braces against the Demi-Dragon's flank and begins pushing him toward Hildur. Despite the tiny size of the imp and the impressive size of the dragon Zaal is being scooted across the ground slowly. "Go talk to her and I won't be crass for the next week! Boggart's honor!"

"Boggarts don't have honor," Zaal mutters as he rises to his four feet and trots toward Hildur. Once he's a respectable distance away he'll flourish a low bow. The Ebony Demi-Dragon is black and smooth and rounded with more than a few sharp blade-like bits thrown into the mix. His 'wings' would be useless for flight, the ribs modified into long razor edges. A single scythe-like blade extends from the end of his tail. In all he looks akin to living weapon.

He moves with the poise and grace of a practiced swordsman of noble standing. "If you will, m'lady, might I speak with you?"

8. - Top - End - #308

[Applevale]

Hildur stares at the two slowly coming over to her. She's somewhere between confusion and plain amusement. She looks at Zaal as he's pushed over to her, and almost chuckles at the situation.

She responds to the request to speak with a simple, And what do you want to talk about? Maybe how "hot" you apparently think I am? Her voice is nearly dripping with sarcasm. Mostly because she doesn't know what there is to talk about.

9. - Top - End - #309

[Applevale]

"No m'lady. That would be rude and presumptuous on my part," Zaal replies. "Please excuse my companion, Wiggums. He..."

The imp puts his thumb where his nose would be and wiggles the rest of his fingers whilst sticking out his ash-grey tongue.

"...is a Boggart. I don't think he can help it."

This is very true!

"I thought I might offer some hope. You haven't taken on the Name of whatever Dragon is doing this to you. If you had then at best you would have already become a Demi-Dragon like myself. At worst you would have been warped into a full dragon and lost yourself to your new Name," Zaal says, his tone hushed and reassuring. "M'lady, this means you're far stronger than I believe you suspect. My master, Inquisitor Thomas, should be able to perform the Rite of Alms for you. With the Emperor's blessing I suspect you may be able to rid yourself of those new limbs."

10. - Top - End - #310

[Applevale]

I could be human again? Hildur's voice is just a tiny bit hopeful now. I've only been like this for a few hours, and I hate it. I hate looking like this, I hate the dragon that wants me to lose my name. She crosses her arms over her stomach, and looks at her warped hands. If I hadn't learned about Shaping, maybe this would never have happened to me.

11. - Top - End - #311

[Applevale]

Zaal quite literally cringes at Hildur's litany of hates. "M'lady... Believe me when I say that I understand what you're going through. But you need to be leery of hatred. Hatred toward anything. Or it may give the dragon's Name greater access to your spirit. See? Look for yourself."

He'll point at her forearm with one of his wings. More Gossamer scales are creeping up toward her shoulder even while she seethes with rage.

"You have to calm yourself. Calm your breathing. Pray to the Emperor. Sing quietly. Admire the sky. Anything to take your mind off the hate," Zaal says, his voice soothing and calm.

"Give in to your anger! Get all scaly! You and Zaal would make a cute couple!" jeers the imp, his voice grating and obnoxious.

Zaal glares back at the imp and with a flick of his tail clobbers the Boggart, sending it tumbling head over heels down a nearby well. "AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa..."

*plop!*

12. - Top - End - #312

[Applevale]

Hildur sees the scales encroaching on her, and she panics a little, trying to calm down. She won't pray to the Emperor, but she will still her breathing, and start to think of all the sensations she feels while snowboarding. The wind whipping against her jacket and through her hair, the sense of speed, the rush of adrenaline as she does a supposedly impossible trick. It helps her a lot, to the point where she can ignore the imp.

13. - Top - End - #313

[Applevale]

Ignoring the imp is almost always a wise course of action.

Zaal smiles as he moves a bit closer to Hildur and sits down on his haunches. "Good. That's much better. When you begin to feel hatred or greed put your mind in this place. You have to learn to master the Name or it will without a doubt master you."

A beat.

"Though you don't need to worry about this very long. I'm sure Inquisitor Thomas will be here to help you soon."

The Demi-Dragon leans down slightly to put himself at eye-level with Hildur. "Maybe introductions are in order, m'lady? I've been burdened with the Name Zaaldunvah. Before I was cursed I was Bastion."

There's a strange power that comes with a dragon speaking its Name. Hildur will likely feel it.

"And who are you, m'lady?"

She'll feel a fairly powerful urge to introduce herself as Maarsukaal. Whether or not she resists it...

The imp flails around at the bottom of the well, probably saying nasty things about both of them.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 08:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

[Applevale]

It takes just a couple of seconds for Hildur to respond to the request for introductions, and she wants to clench her fists just to resist that urge. But that would result in her claws digging into her palm.

I'm... Hildur, she eventually says, not entirely liking how long it took her to say her own name.

15. - Top - End - #315

[Applevale]

Probably would result in her claws digging into her palms. Which would hurt quite a bit.

Zaal smiles and shakes his head slightly. He seems to be quite impressed with her reply! "You seem to be quite an amazing person, Hildur. I can hear the Name that's trying to overtake you. Maarsukaal is no ordinary wyrm, that much is certain."

He sits upright again, peering down at her. What a fascinating person the Emperor has seen fit to place in his path today. And so lovely to boot. He's sure that she would make an absolutely stunning Demi-Dragon. And even without tail and scale she's certainly attractive.

Alas, it isn't Zaal's place to be wooing fair maidens any longer. He has a duty to the Emperor to fulfill.

Aaaaaaaand now the Inquisitor arrives.

Inquisitor Thomas is clad in a crimson cassock with a wide brimmed hat of similar color. And a classy purple undershirt! He has kind features and rather poofy hair. A face that suggests someone who smiles quite often.

Hes doing so right now in fact! "Ah, so this must be Hildur. I heard you were looking to be rid of your wings. Is that true?" Thomas uses his thumb to push up the brim of his hat slightly. The guy is really tall and thin.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 09:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316

[Applevale]

Hildur can't help but shift a little underneath Zaal's gaze. It's a little uncomfortable for her to be stared at like that. It's a bit of a relief for her when the Inquisitor arrives.

Yes, that's true. I don't want be... this, she says, while gesturing at the gossamer that has replaced some of her skin. I need help, before I lose my name.

17. - Top - End - #317

[Applevale]

"No need to watch her so closely, Zaal. I'm sure she'll be fine," Thomas comments as he takes off his hat and places it on top of the Demi-Dragon's head. Zaal realizes what he was doing and looks away from Hildur rather sheepishly.

If he could still blush he probably would be doing so right now.

"Where's Wiggums, by the way?" the man inquires.

"Ah... he was upsetting lady Hildur and so I insisted that he keep his distance," Zaal replies.

"He punted me down the well!" comes an irate little voice from approximately half way down the well in question.

"Oh! Wonderful. I'm glad you two are getting along so well while I was away for ten minutes," the Inquisitor laughs before taking a small string of prayer beads out one of Zaal's saddle bags along with a small book. The beads are held out for Hildur to take. "Here you are miss, hold onto those."

He then clears his throat!

*ahem*

Then opens the book and peers at it. "Hmmm..."

Then peers at Hildur. "Mhmm..."

Then back at the book. "I see..."

Then to Hildur again. "Well. I have good news for you miss. You aren't a dragon yet."

He turns the book around to show her. Instead is an illustration of an Air Dragon.

Which she totally isn't. Yet.

Zaal gives a long sigh. Wiggums snickers from inside the well.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 09:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

[Applevale]

Hildur takes the string of prayer beads and wraps them around her wrist, even if it ends up hurting her or something like that.

I know I'm not a dragon yet, Hildur says. I've seen what I'll turn into if I stop resisting this.

19. - Top - End - #319

[Applevale]

Nope. The beads aren't burning her or anything. That wouldn't happen unless she were fully cursed and became an actual creature of Discord. She's just sorta teetering over the edge at the moment.

"Well, that's the funny thing. Left to yourself you'll become a Dragon whether you resist or not. Or a Demi-Dragon at least. When Maarsukaal dies her name will be passed onto you. You've already been marked for that and it can't be changed."

Zaal looks rather shocked by this! "What!? But... she isn't even fully cursed yet! If the draconic spirits are removed from her won't she become human again?"

"Oh sure. Probably," Thomas replies casually. "But to have the spirits removed she'll need to pass the Ritual of Alms."

He then gestures at the ground, causing a stone alter to rise out of the street and the top to burst into flames! Swanky! "The Ritual of Alms is pretty simple, miss," Thomas explains. "You sacrifice something. Something of value to you. The spirits cling to you through greed and an act of charity removes them."

20. - Top - End - #320

[Applevale]

Hildur raises an eyebrow. Did she even have anything on her? She pats all across her jacket. I don't think I have anything on m- and then she feels something. She reaches into the inside pocket on the jacket's upper chest, and feels at the item. Her face darkens a little in sorrow. With a bit of hesitance, she pulls out her goggles, and stares at them for a few seconds.

These are all I have. Will they do?

21. - Top - End - #321

[Applevale]

Thomas seems about as laid-back and distracted as usual. Though despite the appearances he's all too aware of the young woman's demeanor. That face? That face suggests that the goggles will do just fine

"You're the only one who can answer that question, lady Hildur," Zaal speaks up. "Are they precious to you? Is giving them up truly a sacrifice?"

It...

Seems simple enough.

But then, all the Rituals have seemed simple enough so far. Almost deceptively so. But maybe that's the idea. It would be hard for people to carry them out if they were complicated.

"Better make sure they are," Wiggums jeers as he skitters over the lip of the well. "Because there's no way of getting turned into a Dragon more sure than making false sacrifices."

22. - Top - End - #322

[Applevale]

Hildur continues to stare at the goggles, and can't help but smile a little as memories come back to her. I've had these for years. Where I come from, I can't just use Shaping to protect my eyes from snow. She's saying this more to herself than anything.

She turns them around, in her hands, even though that's clumsy at best. Looks at all the scratches on the lens, that crack across the top, the fraying on the strap. I got them when I first went pro, about six years ago. This was the first purchase I made for myself. My dad had bought me everything else for my career, at least before I started making money. She chuckles a little. Funny thing is, they're only ten euros. I could've replaced them anytime I wanted. People said I should, they were old and terrible. Never did, though.

I guess I'm trying to say that monetarily, these are the least valuable things I have, but they mean a lot to me. She approaches the altar, holding the goggles close to her chest.

I just... I just place them in the fire?
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-05-07 at 10:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

[Applevale]

Zaal nods in reply to Hildur's question. Wiggums is watching with scarcely contained glee in hopes of Hildur's sacrifice failing just so he can watch her despair in begin turned into a magical lizard. The Inquisitor has his head bowed, no doubt praying for Hildur's restoration to humanity.

Should the goggles be tossed into the flames...

Hildur will suddenly feel a sensation of warmth spreading through her body. Her connection to Air will drop dramatically as many if not all of the spirits Maarsukaal had bound to her are stripped away. At the same time most if not all of her draconic features are erased even while her clothing is repaired!

If any dragonishness remains that's totally up to Hildur's player.

Well!

It seems Hildur chose wisely.

"Bah!" grumps the Boggart.

24. - Top - End - #324

[Applevale]

It takes a bit of time, but eventually, Hildur does part with her goggles. The warm feeling passes through her, and she doesn't feel the Air nearly as much as before. Good so far.

Almost all of the changes she'd gone though are reversed, with two exceptions. She keeps those few inches of height she'd gained, and her eyes have changed from blue to a golden color. Other than that, though, Hildur is entirely human again.

She steps back from the altar, and looks at herself, and feels at her clothes, looks down at her newly-repaired boots. "It worked. It really worked..." she says, out of amazement. She'd be beaming right now if her jaw hadn't dropped.

25. - Top - End - #325

[Applevale]

As Hildur steps back from the alter her heel will bump into the Gossamer focus that had previously fused into her scales. Seems that was restored as well! She won't be nearly as powerful when it comes to Air Shaping as before. Buuut... that seems like a small price to pay for not getting turned into a magical flying lizard!

"Hazzah!" Zaal laughs. "Good for you, lady Hildur! The Emperor has smiled on your sacrifice. I think that-"

Suddenly there comes a rather horrible wailing roar that splits across the sky itself, carried by a dark wind what surges across the countryside! Zaal uses one of his wings to ping down the Inquisitor's hat to keep it from blowing away!

Wiggums gets blasted right back over the lip of the well and goes tumbling back to the bottom again. "AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa..."

*plop!*

Inquisitor Thomas remains motionless, head still bowed.

The dragon Maarsukaal, her vessel stripped of spirits, had simply lost too much power and perished. Her gambit to live on through another had failed. However, true to the Inquisitor's word, her Name is still passed on.

But the Name only. Maarsukaal's vile will and intent has died with her. And so Hildur inherits Maarsukaal's Name. The Name of a dragon without the body of one. What a strange girl this Hildur is.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 10:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

[Applevale]

The wind isn't as bad for Hildur as the scream is. She covers her ears, and grits her teeth. And then she realizes that she has Maarsukaal's name now. That was just strange.

Whenever it all ends, Hildur bends down to pick up her focus. She's not as strong, sure, but she didn't need power as long as she was at least human.

"I have the name, like you said I would. Does that really mean anything, though? I don't have to use it, right?" she asks. That name apparently carried quite the history with it, and she didn't really want it.

"Oh, and can you tell me which direction Mount Anthor is in? I need to go apologize to a friend."

27. - Top - End - #327

[Applevale]

Odd thing is that the Name carries with it a knowledge of its history. Not memories per se, but a general feeling for all the other dragons that held the Name before Hildur did.

They were all horrible monsters with a few notable exceptions. Dragons like Zaal who managed to overcome their greed and malice to walk a more noble path.

And the Name carries power. Great power.

Zaal shakes his head. "You don't have to use it. But it's still your Name now. And a dragon's Name is a powerful thing. Like I said before, the trick is to learn to master the Name rather than allowing the Name to master you. Ah, and..." he leans forward a bit to sniff at Hildur. And then wrinkles his nose. "You smell like a dragon. But you're obviously a human still. This is... strange. I can't say that I've ever heard of anything like this before."

A beat.

"I could... eerr... escort you to the Abbey if you like? I suspect that's where you mean to go," Zaal continues. "I could tell you everything I've learned about the use of a dragon's Name along the way if you wish, lady Maarsu...eerr..."

He winces as soon as he realizes what he's doing. "Lady Hildur. I'm sorry. Dragons have an innate sense of each other's Name. It's... something of second nature to use them..."

Uuuh...

Is the Inquisitor still praying?
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-07 at 11:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

[Applevale]

"I suppose it's best. I don't even know if I can still fly," Hildur says. "Sometimes it's best to be cautious."

She looks towards the Inquisitor. "Um, excuse me? Before I go, I'd like to thank you. For helping me."

29. - Top - End - #329

[Applevale]

Thomas doesn't reply to Hildur when she speaks up. Aside from snorting a little.

Did...

Did he fall asleep in the middle of all that?

Zaal sighs and thwacks him in the side with the flat of his tail-blade. Which results in a much louder snort as the Inquisitor is roused. "Hmm? What? Blessings of the Emperor on you and your family!"

This he says whilst standing upright and looking wide awake!

He then takes his hat back, puts it over his eyes, and nods off again.

"I'm taking Lady Hildur to the Abbey of Anthor," the Demi-Dragon says as he sets off at a trot, though not before pulling off one of his saddle-bags and dropping it on the ground with a *flumph!* "I'll meet you both at the Inside city gates in two days."

Zaal will pause in front of Hildur, lowering himself a little and splaying out his wings. "Do you know how to ride, lady Hildur? I can probably get us there faster than you will be able to walk."

30. - Top - End - #330

[Applevale]

"I uh... I rode a motorbike once," Hildur says. "How different can it be?" Oh boy, she has no clue. She goes to get on Zaal's back, feeling kinda weird about it.