New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Random Places and Plots 5

[Applevale ==> The Baron's Highway

How different could it be?

Plenty different!

Though Zaal has no idea what a motorbike is. And when the term is used he gives Hildur an odd look. "...a... what m'lady?"

Then just shakes his head. Must be one of those weird Nexus things.

"Hold on tight, Lady Hildur! And you might want to use your Shaping to protect your eyes."

As soon as Hildur climbs on and gets her feet into the stirrups the Demi-Dragon digs his claws into the ground before bounding off at speeds usually reserved for motor-bikes. His gait is surprisingly smooth with very little in the way of uncomfortable bouncing. More than a few peasants along the road back away from the racing Demi-Dragon despite already being at a safe distance. Something so big moving so fast is intimidating!

Zoom!

Despite the speed it's still surprisingly easy to hear Zaal when he speaks. "The first thing you must understand about you Name," he says. "Is that it will do you little good if you never use it. Just like a bard's song would do little good if he never practiced. You're still Hildur. But your Name is Maarsukaal."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #332

[Baron's Highway]

It's pretty easy for Hildur to protect her eyes with using Shaping, though it isn't quite as natural for her as it was before.

"But what good is it if I use my new name?" Hildur asks. "I mean, if I'm still Hildur, does it really mean anything that my name is Maarsukaal now?" It still feels strange that that was her name now.

3. - Top - End - #333

[Baron's Highway]

Maybe she could make Gossamer goggles for herself? That would be pretty nifty! And even speaking the words 'my name is Maarsukaal' seems to resonate within Hildur. There's ancient power in that name and she'll be able to feel it.

"Well... think of your Name as a title. When the previous holder of the title dies they pass it on to someone else," Zaal explains. "For example, I have a childhood friend who became a Baron when his father died. His father was a terrible person. Does that mean Winston had to become a terrible person as well when he became the new Baron? Or was he just the same Winston with new responsibilities?"

Huh... well...

That's a different way to look at it.

The Demi-Dragon comes rushing up behind a slow moving hay-cart and simply leaps over the thing without missing a step. The peasants driving the cart seem suitably surprised by this.

"Maarsukaal, you have the Name of a dragon. And you smell of dragon. And you even speak as a dragon does. You simply don't look like a dragon. So I think it would be best to assume that you are indeed a dragon despite your appearance."

He continues to race along, trees and rocks and buildings and people wooshing past on either side.

"A dragon must feed their greed like anyone else feeds their stomach. They can feed it with power, or with riches, or with fame. But it must be fed all the same. A dragon feeds on fame by magnifying their own Name. The more renowned the Name the better. Most dragons do this by making people fear them through acts of unspeakable evil. But I've fed on fame through my heroic service to the Inquisition."

He glances back at Hildur and smiles half a grin. "And if you never let anyone know your Name then how will they know of your great accomplishments? You have an advantage, though, Maarsukaal. You still appear to be human. The dragon Maarsukaal with a human body? Do works worthy of praise and the word of you and your Name will travel far."

4. - Top - End - #334

[Baron's Highway]

Hildur feels the power behind her name, and despite it being unfamiliar to her, she'd be lying if she said she completely disliked it. "That makes sense. I suppose it does, anyway."

She can't help but chuckle as she hears that she's hungry for fame and glory. "If someone told me two months ago that I'd inherit the Name of a dragon and need to become to satiate a hunger, I'd have just laughed at them. Weird how much things can change."

5. - Top - End - #335

[Baron's Highway]

"And if you had told me I would be swallowed up along with part of my world by this 'Nexus' I would have laughed at you as well," Zaal replies with a laugh. "From what I've heard this place seems to like gathering very different people together. And so here we are, yes?"

The demi-dragon continues to bound along as Mount Anthor slowly looms in the distance.

Strange...

Hildur got here so quickly... How fast was she flying? Hard to judge speed when you're a few thousand feet in the air it would seem.

"You can feed your greed off the gathering of riches as well. That's why dragons are so keen on mounding up great piles of gold and gems. I would be lying if I said I didn't have my own little cave filled with loot hidden away somewhere," Zaal continues. He sounds... somewhat embarrassed about that.

"And finally you can feed off power by consuming living or recently living things and absorbing their spirit. While I doubt you will find it a temptation don't feed off humans. To devour a human's spirit will complete your apotheosis into a full dragon," he sounds deadly serous here. "And I don't know anyone who has been able to master their Name after fully transforming. Every single one of them was consumed by their Name regardless of how good their intentions might have been."

6. - Top - End - #336

[Baron's Highway]

"Ha, yeah," Hildur says. "I still don't know how I ended up in the Nexus anyway, but I suppose it doesn't matter."

Hildur shudders at the though of consuming any spirit, not just humans. It reminds her of that Huldra. "I think I'll just stick to fame and fortune, thanks. No consumption for me."

7. - Top - End - #337

[Baron's Highway]

Zaaldunvah would probably be offended if Hildur compared him to a Huldra. And besides! Huldra eat souls, not spirits! That's totally different. Totally different.

"Indeed! Well spoken, Maarsukaal! We are here and we know not why. That's the lot that all mortals face, isn't it? To be unsure of our place in life?" the demi-dragon laughs, becoming a little philosophical with this line of thought. "We are where we are and we go where we go. Live and love for a good life. If tribulation comes cross that river when you reach it instead of worrying ahead of time. Ah! And speaking of rivers!"

Zaal's bounds slowly shifts to a canter followed by a slow trot before stopping at a river. He'll stoop so Hildur can more easily climb off. "A drink will do me well. Are you thirsty m'lady?"

He won't wait for a reply before sticking his snout in the water and gulping it down by the mouthful.

8. - Top - End - #338

[Baron's Highway]

Hildur is starting to get used to being called Maarsukaal, finally. She can't help but note how quickly this has all taken place. It was all really strange.

She steps off of Zaal to allow him to drink. "A little, yeah. Wish I still had my bottle with me." She left all of her things in her room at the abbey when she went off flying. And as Hildur thinks of the abbey, she thinks Agatha. Would she know what had happened to Hildur? She looked different, after all.

9. - Top - End - #339

[Baron's Highway]

After chugging water for quite a while (he is the size of a horse after all) Zaal finally lays down on the riverbank and begins digging his toes into the sand with a sigh. Seems he's ready for a bit of a break!

Running that fast for so long can really take a lot out of you! Even if you have muscles quite literally made of steel.

"There are some rations in one of my saddle-bags if you want them, Maarsukaal," he says as he wriggles a bit to dig down to the cool sand below what has been baking in the sun all day. "Ah! And... would you prefer I call you by your Name, your given name, or both? Maarsukaal Hildur sounds quite lovely if you wish for my opinion on the matter."

A beat.

"And you may refer to me as Zaaldunvah Bastion or simply Zaaldunvah if you rather."

As he's speaking a dragonfly alights on Zaal's tail-blade and begins cleaning itself.

10. - Top - End - #340

[Baron's Highway]

"I'll be fine for now," Hildur says, and sits down cross-legged next to Zaal. She unzips her jacket a little to air herself out, reminding herself that this was not the weather to be wearing a jacket.

"Ah, I'm not entirely sure yet." Hildur ponders her name for a while. "I guess if you want to, you can call me Maarsukaal. I like Hildur more, though."

11. - Top - End - #341

[Baron's Highway - By the River Sein]

After some time Zaal finally notices the dragonfly and gives his tail a flick to shoo it away. As soon as his attention is back on Hildur the insect alights on him again.

The water is clear and green, its bed equal parts sandy and stony. Calm enough in this wide bend to easily see the bottom below the glassy surface. Here and there among the rocks and sand of the bank grow brushy shrubs with fragrant yellow flowers that fill the air with a sweet scent. Bees and butterflies flock about the blooms whilst a pair of ducks splash about at the far shore of the river.

All in all it's a very pleasant place.

"Well... usually you would call someone by their title alone if you mean respect and don't know them well. Or their name and their title if you know them better. Such as how I refer to Inquisitor Thomas who is both my friend and my superior," Zaal wrinkles his nose a little at this point. "I suppose it's a bit different with a dragon's Name, though. Especially for those like us who still have our given name as well. Lady Hildur is just as respectful as Maarsukaal."

He then smiles a toothy smile. "Of course, I don't know you well enough to use your given name without an honorific. That sort of thing is reserved only for family."

12. - Top - End - #342

"Agh, more name-related traditions..." Hildur sighs at learning this. "Everyone's always so formal around here. Where I come from, we just call each other by our name. Course, that might be because there aren't really honorifics anymore, but still." She processes all the information. "So, I would need to call you Zaaldunvah instead of just Bastion?"

13. - Top - End - #343

The dragon chuckles at Hildur's response. Learning about new cultures can be confusing! "I suppose things would be a lot simpler if no one bothered with titles, wouldn't it?"

He then casts his gaze toward a small group of people nearing the river. A small group of children actually! No doubt with the intent of splashing about in the water! One of them points out the demi-dragon and the others look before chattering among themselves.

They don't seem terribly concerned. Zaal is wearing the colors of the Inquisition after all. And everyone knows that the Inquisition uses penitent demons of Discord as weapons and soldiers.

"I would rather you call me Zaaldunvah. If only because speaking a dragon's Name brings that Name glory. The more people using my Name the better. If you called me Bastion in public people would likely assume that you're my sister."

A snerk.

"Or my wife. As ridiculous as that would be."

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

Necanth Prison

The route takes the two along several long corridors and all of them have been constructed of concrete. Every room has a long rail in the centre of both floor and ceiling, and there's no stairs- to go down, one either takes a lift (which are broken) or a ramp. The doors are large, garage-like doors that slide into the walls and meet in the middle- there's two at every corner, and every corner is a right angles. The rooms are lit by neon lights along the walls.

Eventually, they'll find their way blocked. A large contraption is in the doorway. It has two wheels, one on top and one on the bottom, obviously meant to go into the rails. It's been knocked over, though, and it shows scars of battle. Around it is a crude barricade made of blocks of concrete pulled from the walls, metal plating from the contraption and wooden chairs. Dangling from the ceiling is a small metal cage with the body of an orange-skinned nude humanoid in it. The body looks reasonably fresh, but with no ageing there's no rotting so it could be very old. It shows clear signs of torture, and piled beneath it are equally fresh-looking heads from similar creatures, though they show quite a variety in size and colour.

((Zefir: The destinations on the map are: New London (human, xenophobic); Grazdraknak (orc, goblin, other humanoid, accepting); Elallfellala (elf and fey, suspicious); Scraphole (anybody that won't fit in elsewhere); The Graveyard (undead); Warden's Office (way out?); Hunger Prevention Facility (???) and the Armoury (empty, but there's a dwarf forge). I don't think anything's been said of the HPF apart from the fact it produces green, orange and red slime.))
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #345

"Yeah, that would be rather ludicrous," Hildur says. "I'll just call you Zaaldunvah, then, and I guess you'll be calling me Maarsukaal. I don't mind that as much as I thought I would."

16. - Top - End - #346

"Hahaha! It would be, wouldn't it? All the rules certainly do complicate things. But they make them more clear as well, don't you think?"
    the demi-dragon laughs. "Yes, that will do nicely, Maarsukaal. And now that we have those formalities about of the way I believe we're about to have an audience."

Sure enough the group of a dozen or so children are approaching the shore, no doubt curious about the demi-dragon and the woman in strange garb chatting it up on the riverbank.

"'ello sir!" the oldest among them calls out. "Are you Zaaldunvah? The dragon that works for Bishop Bartholomew?"

Zaal flourishes a graceful bow, extending one of his wings as if it were an arm. "The one and the same. How may I be of service, boy?"

"We wanted to know who that is," the lad replies, pointing at Hildur.

Zaal gives Hildur a sidelong glance and grins a rather mischievous grin. "This? THIS my friends is none other than the great dragon Maarsukaal."

The children look skeptical.

"Did you not hear the death-cry of the old wyrm that once held that Name? The old Maarsukaal had tried to corrupt the new, but her spirit was so strong that she threw off the ancient dragon's curse through the good grace of the Emperor! Now she stands before you with a body untainted by the dragon's blight and holds the name of Maarsukaal for herself!"

Zaal rises to his hind feet, spreads his wings, and makes a grand sweeping gesture toward Hildur. "She is Maarsukaal, the dragon who conquered Discord itself!"

The children all gasp. And then all those little eyes turn to Hildur! Seems they're expecting her to say something.

[Prison]

Freddie cringes at all the dead orange people.

Geeze...

This is a TERRIBLE place to have a secondary color as a skin-tone.

"Quite the way to welcome newcomers..." the Huldra mutters. "Should we knock?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-08 at 05:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347

Hildur is thoroughly embarrassed at all the praise she's suddenly receiving. She levels a glare at Zaal, muttering, "Du är en ryck." Well that's not very nice.

Then she looks at the children and stands up, zipping up her jacket again. "What Zaaldunvah says it true. I am indeed Maarsukaal. I have only just received the Name, but I think it suits me fairly well. Don't you?"
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-05-08 at 05:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348

[The Baron's Highway - By the River Sein]

Once again Hildur will feel that strange power resonating inside her when she identifies herself with her Name. Strange at first, yes. But growing increasingly familiar no doubt.

When she identifies with her name the air grows heavy and the wind strong with an emotion equal parts fear and excitement. She might not have noticed it so readily before. But now that she's speaking her Name to others the effect is that much more obvious.

...wow... That must be what Zaal was talking about when he said that Hildur speaks like a dragon.

The children gasp once more and begin chattering among each other! The general consensus seems to be that Hildur is in fact the new Maarsukaal and that they should tell their friends and family about how she defeated Discord and remained human looking.

Before long the kids return to swimming.

As they depart Zaal grins over at her. "You feel it, don't you? They're talking about your story. Speaking your Name. And you grow stronger as a result."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-08 at 05:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349

[Prison]

Well, ew.
    That's not a proper way to welcome people.

"It's only polite,"
    she replies, knocking a few times.
    "Let's hope they don't kill us on sight."
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

20. - Top - End - #350

Hildur has an almost silly grin on her face as she sits back down. "It feels good. My Name being spoken, I mean. I'd say it's the... second best feeling I've had in my life." The first one's probably related to snowboarding.

"I kind of wish I had a better story, though. It all really just boils down to luck, after all, me staying human."

21. - Top - End - #351

[Baron's Highway - Near the River Sein]

Zaal just responds to the silly grin in kind! He knows all too well what it feels like to have one's Name exalted.

Though as far as amazing things go flying would probably rank up there pretty high too.

"It is nice, isn't it? It only gets better as your story spreads. And I wouldn't be so quick to chalk your story up to luck. You managed to beat the old Maarsukaal in a battle of wills. And that old wyrm was a legend without doubt," he settles onto all fours again before plopping onto his haunches.

And then starts harassing some tadpoles in the river's shallows.

"I have the feeling that your story will surpass hers. That the Name Maarsukaal will be even greater under you than it was under her. Just give yourself some time. And don't sell yourself short, either. Remember, you are a dragon. And your Name is one of the most renowned in all the Empyreum already."

After a few minutes longer he rises to his feet and stoops. "Well! That was quite refreshing! Are you ready to move on, Maarsukaal?"

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

Necanth Prison

A head peeks up over the barricade. It's human, and belongs to a short, old, scrawny chap with a mohican hair cut, pierced lip and an ear plug. "Human-lookin', but most of 'em do. Just the two, I'll go over now 'n test 'em." The old man climbs over surprisingly dexterously for somebody his apparent age; he's wearing a sleeveless leather jacket that isn't done up; there's a silver chain beneath it but nothing else, and a pair of ripped jeans. In one hand is a needle. "Y' want in? I gots ta check y' blud. Dun' worry, won' hurt much. Jus' hold out a hand 'n I'll jab it wi' me needle t' see if y' be as human as y' look."

23. - Top - End - #353

Hildur blushes a little bit at that. She honestly doesn't think she'll have much of a story, given that her greatest passion is still just snowboarding. But she will conceded that having a stronger will than a legendary Dragon is pretty impressive.

She smiles and stands back up. "I think I am, Zaaldunvah." If permitted, she will get on his back and prepare to resume travel.

24. - Top - End - #354

[Prison]

"Eerr... alright..." Fredrick replies, holding out one hand. This seems kind of strange to him...

His blood should be that of a normal human. Though he comes from a cosmology without chemistry as we know it given that it's an elemental world. Not sure if that would louse things up or not...

But...

Yeah!

Freddie should totally check out!

Because even if he's a Huldra a Huldra is still a human. Just a cursed human.

[Baron's Highway]

If she's permitted? Pfft. As if Zaal would offer her a ride and then hop away at the last moment to allow her to fall on her bum. He's far too well-mannered for shenanigans like that.

More of Wiggums' deal.

Once Hildur is settled into the saddle Zaal will gradually pick up speed until he's once more racing along marvelously fast! Seems those claws and metal muscles really allow him to go all out! One of the upsides to being an Ebony dragon it would seem.

"Ah... as strange as it might sound, Maarsukaal, but I think the thing that puzzles me most about you is your scent," the Ebony dragon comments somewhat awkwardly. "You smell of Gossamer and dragon but you don't have a trace of either on you. It puzzles me mightily. And I believe it gets stronger when you're Shaping."

Huh...

That sure is odd...

Speaking of senses Hildur may or may not notice that her own have spiked noticeably ever since she first developed (and then lost) draconic features. Sight and smell and hearing should all be quite a bit sharper than before.

25. - Top - End - #355

[Baron's Highway]

"Well, I still have my Gossamer focus, but I doubt that it would make me smell like a dragon," Hildur says. She's pretty confused as well. She has noticed the sharpening of her senses, but she's not as confused about that. She was a sorta-dragon for a while, that probably just lingered.

"I haven't really noticed my scent, but I guess that's because it's my scent. Too familiar, you know?"

26. - Top - End - #356

[Prison]

''Ehm, if you must.''

Cat also holds out a hand.
    Basic human blood, though.

Her powers are completely magical and don't change her DNA.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

27. - Top - End - #357
    Orc in the Playground

Prison

He'll jab the needle into the held out hand and afterwards lick the blood before nodding. "Both human, or near enough as makes no matter' let 'em in!" The old man then clambers back over the barricade. Should Freddy and Cat follow him, on the other side are about ten others wearing scraps of armour and wielding spears, clubs and knives- the barricade's garrison, apparently. The humans are largely quite young, but besides that vary dramatically in fashion, ranging from a shaved bald guy in goggles wearing a one-piece silver suit with a large ring for an air-tight helmet to a guy in a tattered tunic and leggings with an iron oven door strapped over his chest.

28. - Top - End - #358

[Baron's Highway]

"It could be... But somehow I don't think that's it," Zaal replies. "I can tell that your focus came from the old Maarsukaal. And I can tell it isn't part of a living dragon. Since it smells... dead I suppose?"

That sorta makes sense due to the fact the old Maarsukaal is all dead and stuff. Or, when you think about it, some of her scales would be like collecting old dead skin. As opposed to still living skin on a still living person.

"Ah well. I suppose it doesn't matter greatly. It shouldn't be too much longer until we reach the foot of Mount Anthor. I won't be able to run up the trail, obviously. And sadly I lack the jumping prowess of the Nuns. So we'll need to hike all the way up."

Oh!

He must not know about the teleport pads they got from Inside!

[Prison NINJA'D!]

Well!

Isn't that quite the welcoming committee!

"Wow... I'm guessing we don't get friendly visitors here very often?" Freddie inquires curiously.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-08 at 07:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

[The Baron's Highway]

Hildur shrugs. She didn't know why she smelled like a dragon, and she figured it didn't really matter in the long run. She hears that they're nearing the mountain, and she immediately sets on what she's going to say to Agatha and the rest of the Nuns.

"Actually, they have a way to teleport up there. I think they brought some teleport pads from the city." Yay for knowing things!

30. - Top - End - #360

[At the Foot of Mount Anthor]

"Teleportation pads?" Zaal echoes as he trots to a halt near the first of the shrines that dot the trail leading up the mountin. He's guessing that it must be some sort of weird Nexus thing that makes you move faster?

...or something?

No clue!

But no doubt he'll find out shortly!

Should Hildur use the pad to POOF! up to the top of the mountain Zaal will shortly follow suit!

It'll feel really weird. Rather akin to being drunk. And if you ask what's so bad about being drunk try asking a glass of water.