New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Random Places and Plots 5

[The Cave!]

Down down down into the heart of the earth.

The steps will no doubt be familiar. The sights. The smells. The prevailing darkness. Every footfall brings back memory of the dream.

Until.

At last.

The cavern opens up before her!

It's still really dark. And that strange soundless voice doesn't seem to be here. However the glow from Hildur's focus will reveal a flight of stairs leading down into the chasm.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Necanth Prison

Because she was accused of littering and told to report to a Solitary Cell, where she would live forever and never see another person. Not everybody who goes in comes out mad- some don't come out at all.

"If you have any coins or valuable goods, I have bunks available. The guardhouse has an adjacent barracks and the doors lock- I'm the only one with a copy of the keys." Although since they match, all the copies are identical.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #213

Necanth Prison

Littering, the most hideous crime of all!

"I have coins, what do you think? Barracks or look around more first?"She asks Freddy.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Necanth Prison

"We could take a room. I would still assume to take guards after all."

Zefir coments, since he is right next to them. Assuming they look either confused or angry he will stop them before speaking up.

"We still have the same way to go, right? It can't be wrong to work together for that goal."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

5. - Top - End - #215

[Prison]

"I have a few..." Freddie replies to Cat. And a few is certainly right. He had sold those silly green gloves he got from a Random Encounter in the market place. But he has the uncanny feeling that the merchant swindled them out from under him. He honestly had no idea what they would be worth.

"I suppose making sure that we have a safe place to sleep first would be the best course to take."

And then Zefir speaks up! Freddie gives him a questioning look. "Sir, not to sound rude but we have no idea who you are or what your intentions are. Apparently the only way out of here is through the Warden. And the other option is to simply try to survive. And frankly talk of trying to blow things up for giggles doesn't strike me as a good way to ensure survival in a place as hostile as this."

Seems Freddie doesn't trust him!

6. - Top - End - #216

Necanth Prison

A thought occurs to Cat! Maybe they shouldn't trust the barkeep?
    A bit paranoid, maybe, but this place seems hostile enough not to trust anyone.

"Let's take a look around first. If we don't find anything safe we can consider the barracks." Better be cautious.

And then there's Zefir!
    Cat will nod at what freddy says, as she agrees with him.
    Blowing up stuff is bad if you have no way to ensure you're not going to get blown up too!
    "I'm going to agree with Freddy on this, we don't know you. And I am not stupid enough to sleep when relying on someone I don't know as a watch."
    She adds that last bit with a hint of a growl, not having forgot the way he snapped at her earlier. Girl holds grudges.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

7. - Top - End - #217

Necanth Prison

Zefir sights and shakes his head.

"Just yause you don't get my sarkasmn isn't a real reason to hate someone."

After all he is a guy of explosives, jokes or phrases are allways include such things, since it's the most common thing.

"And I can't see why two shapeshifter fear a normal person. I bet your both powerful enougth to beat me."

Since their disguss is at what I saw magical he is able to sense that. If both aren't magical disgussed ignore that.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Necanth Prison

"Here, this should tide you over till tomorrow, if you're going to have a look-round. Be careful with it- there's not much paper, and it's been recycled many times." The barkeep will hand over three maps. They're each rather fragile, printed on thin paper a dark orange colour because it's been recycled many times over many ageless decades. They include routes to an abandoned cell block marked 'New London', the crypt marked as 'The Graveyard' and a vast recycling facility marked as a settlement known as 'Scraphole', a seemingly natural cavern marked as Grazdraknak and home to orcs and goblins and an overgrown guards barracks known as Elallfellala, where the fey prisoners have congregated. Non-settlement areas of interest include the Warden's Office, marked with a skull and crossbones, the Hunger Prevention Facilities marked with a radioactive sign and the Armoury. The inn is also marked, as well as the old Solitary cells- those get crossbones, but no skull because they aren't as dangerous.

Unfortunately, it seems that all of the routes to the Warden's Office pass close to an old block of Solitary cells, where prisoners were incarcerated in soundproofed cells and were left on their own until their deaths- a very rare occurrence in a plane with no time.

9. - Top - End - #219

[Cave]

Hildur steadily steps further into the cave, though she's starting to feel the effects of being separated from the cool and free air of the outside.

When she gets to the staircase, she'll carefully head down, making sure not to fall.

10. - Top - End - #220

[Prison]

As stated in Freddie's bio various generic divination effects can not see through a Huldra's deceptions. Unless Zefir has a sprig of allheal on his person there's no way to distinguish the demon-fox' illusions from reality.

Well... except for the objects he makes from fox-fire. He can still only fool three senses at a time with those. But he'll get better eventually!

Anywho!

Freddy will carefully take the maps!

do Do DO DOOOOOO!

You got the Dungeon Prison Map!

"Point stands, sir. Here,"
    Freddy will hand over one of the maps to the explosives guy. "Feel free to find your own way. But don't follow us."

He still doesn't trust him!

Cat will be asked, "Where to first?"

[Cave on Mount Anthor]

Down the steps!

Down into the chasm.

Down into the seething pits of insanity!

Oh. Wait. No insanity down here. Just darkness. Darkness and depth. And no voice at all.

"You came."

...wait. That sounds like a voice! A real one, too! Not that wispy indistinct voice!

"I knew you would."

But the source of the voice isn't obvious... It's so dark down here...

"I knew you would come find me."

The voice is very... strange. At once small and weak while at the same time incomprehensibly vast.

11. - Top - End - #221

[Cave]

Hildur takes a couple of breaths. "Who or what are you? Why do you want me here?"

12. - Top - End - #222

[Cave]

"Someone trapped."

The voice replies, followed by the sound of chains dragging against the cold hard stone.

"Someone bound. Someone locked. Someone forgotten."

Hildur will be able to hear the... whatever it is... moving around on the chasm floor. Getting closer to her.

"But you heard me. Because the freedom of the sky flows through my veins as well. Oh how I long to see its face again."

Still moving closer. Whatever this thing is it's big. But it's too dark to make out any features.

"Maybe... you would unchain me?"

13. - Top - End - #223

[Cave]

Almost instinctively, Hildur takes a step toward the voice, to help whatever this was. But just a few seconds later, she takes a step back. "Why are you chained here in the first place?"

14. - Top - End - #224

[Cave]

"Chained by hate. Chained by fear. Chained by ignorance. They don't know. They can't see. They do not perceive. They serve division rather than unity."

The voice continues.

Still edging closer.

"But now I'm so weak. So tired. So... weary... The sky is too far away. But I can feel it in you. The wind beating with your heart. Please, unchain me. Set me free again to dance among the clouds."

Closer still until a faint glow is seen. A glow of Gossamer. A great beast of Gossamer scale, though diminished in a sad and pitiful way. Harsh Adamantine chains and shackles bind it to the floor of the cave. Cruel hooks of Ebony pierce its wings and hold them fast.

The wind whispers with each of its breaths even as it whispers with each of her own. The sky sings a mournful song with every heartbeat, bringing sadness to her own heart. This creature is the unfettered freedom of the sky, the same freedom Hildur has felt in her own soul. Though now imprisoned below the roots of the mountain.

"Please. Help me."

15. - Top - End - #225

[Cave]

As Hildur realizes just what she's looking at, feels the song sung, her eyes well up in tears, though that isn't visible through her goggles. "Why, why, why would they do this to you?" Now unafraid of the creature, she steps forward herself to feel at the chains, and see how she can loosen them.

16. - Top - End - #226

[Cave]

Remember the book that was talking about a great deal of Gossamer to be found somewhere on Mount Anthor? As Hildur gets closer she'll be able to see where scales have been forcibly pried from the beast's body. Scales with a distinctive plate-like appearance...

Oh dear... the focus she was given... Could it have come from...?

Dragon is perhaps the only word that adequately describe the beast. Though instead of the huge, heavy sort of dragon one usually associates with fantasy the creature is elegant and delicate in appearance. Almost butterfly-like.

Great Gossamer wings. Or... at least they once were. The chains and hooks have torn and rent them horribly. The delicate crystalline scales have all been lost, leaving only a tattered and ruined membrane behind.

The chains are all bound with locks. Locks that, though old beyond measure, are still quite strong. Maybe there's a way to pick them? Or... maybe there's a key?

"Because they do not understand what they do."

17. - Top - End - #227

[Cave]

Hildur takes off her goggles in order to see exactly what has happened to the once great creature, and she almost wants to vomit after seeing it. "I'll see what I can do. I can't just leave you like this..." She tries to manipulate the air in the room she's in. Hopefully it's not too still to control.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-05-03 at 09:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

[Cave]

Manipulating the air is easy enough. Air is air. Thankfully it isn't the wind element, otherwise Hildur might have been out of luck. Though... the air is pretty stale...

The creature seems to understand what she's doing almost immediately.

"If you hope to break the bonds your hope is in vain," it whispers. "Adamantine has the strength of the very bones of the world. Unlatch the locks if you can."

Well...

Helpful advice is helpful, right?

"It would be easy if you find the key."

19. - Top - End - #229

[Cave]

Hildur sighs and nods. "Alright. I'll try." She places her hand onto one of the locks and tries to manipulate the air inside until it unlatches. She doesn't know much about picking locks, but will try her best.

20. - Top - End - #230

[Cave]

Fiddling with air inside the lock does no good as air doesn't have enough substance to manipulate the pins!

Nice try, though.

And there's a reasonable chance that the beast tried something like that himself. Y'know. Given that it's made of Gossamer and stuff. Obviously Air Shaping isn't going to fix this problem.

Maybe if Hildur had some kind of key...?

Because a key sure would be useful.

Those are great for opening locks!

And for scratching the car of someone you don't like, but that probably isn't an issue right now.

21. - Top - End - #231

[Cave]

Hildur runs a hand along the creature's membrane. "I don't think I can get it open myself. I'll go try and find a key." Hildur puts her goggles back over her eyes. "I'll be back soon, I promise."

22. - Top - End - #232

Necanth Prison

Unless Zefir has seen Cat morph before, he probably shouldn't know this.
    She is not disguised, this is her actual form.

"Beating you is not what concerns me.." Will be the response Zefir gets.

To Freddy, she says:" I'm not sure, maybe the armoury? Weapons are always useful."
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

23. - Top - End - #233

[Cave]

"Thank you. Your heart is kind,"
    the beast says as Hildur departs. "Do not worry after me. I won't be going anywhere."

Was that an attempt at a joke?

Anyway...

It's a bit of a hike but getting back out of the cave shouldn't be terribly hard. Though the question remains... where to search for the key? Maybe they know something about it at the abbey? But... was it people from the abbey who locked the dragon up in the first place? Do they even know that he's here?

So many questions...

[Prison]

"That's true," Freddie replies as he crosses his arms. "But weapons also attract unwanted attention. And unwanted attention isn't something we... well... want."

Go figure.

"I... think we should be able to defend ourselves if worse comes to worse. And if we don't look armed then maybe we won't look like we're hunting for trouble."

He glances over at the barkeep. "What would you suggest?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-05-04 at 12:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

[Cave -> Abbey]

Hildur's first thought is that the key will be somewhere in the Abbey. The Nuns have been here for many years, so they probably at least knew about the dragon's imprisonment.

With that in mind, she makes her way over to the abbey, while thinking about how she's going to manage to look for a key for the locks.

25. - Top - End - #235

[Cave ==> Abbey]

And as Hildur departs the voice drifts after her, carrying with it a simple message.

"They do not understand. And fear what they do not understand. Please. Do not speak of finding me..."

To the abbey!

Returning should be simple enough. The sun had drifted low on the horizon already and Hildur will likely realize how hungry she is. Seems she was poking around in that cave a lot longer than she thought. Strange... it didn't feel like it was that long...

She'll be met by the enthusiastic Sister Agatha!

"Hiya Hildur! What did you do today?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Necanth Prison

"Most of the stuff left at the Armoury isn't very good quality. Decades of newcomers have thought the same, and both the orcs of Grazdraknak and the humans of New London went to move some weapons into their own, private armouries. There's a group of dwarfs that have set up a forge there, though; the Armoury's doors are made of iron, and they're smelting that for weapons. If you want something to tide you over, though, that guy sells points and that guy sells bonkers." 'Points' meaning a variety of shivs, knives, swords and anything with a point; 'bonkers' meaning clubs, saps, blackjacks and other blunt implements of varying design and quality in either case.

27. - Top - End - #237

Prison

''You're right about the attracting trouble thing, but we shouldn't walk around unarmed..''
    Not in a place like this.

'' I mean, who knows if our abilities will be enough? What if we meet creatures that are resistant to electricity, for example. Just saying we should be prepared for everything...''
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

28. - Top - End - #238

Necanth Prison

He sights again.

"Look. I'm sorry if my statements made you mad, but think of the situation. We where just sitting in Trogs and these magic orbs appeared. And then they teleport us to this prision plane. I myself felt annoyed, very strong annoyed. And that shows of in my actions. I don't asume your pleased with the situation here."

It's not that he doesn't suffer under an effect making him acting chaotic. And Zefir neither has a seeing or hearing or so he has like a sixth sense for magic. he can just feel it.

"Maybe I could help you with weapons. I once needed to fight a crazy man and disarmed him. Maybe you could use that weapon."

After all he doesn't assume that they listen to him, but after all he could try and his player hopes for RP.

29. - Top - End - #239

[Abbey]

"Oh, just what I normally do," Hildur says. "Stayed outside, practiced, explored the mountain a little." Hildur takes her goggles back off, now that her eyes are finally not red from crying anymore.

30. - Top - End - #240

[Prison]

"Be that as it may I think I would rather go without a weapon,"
    Freddy replies. He isn't sure why he's so opposed to it, but Rebo has a pretty good idea of what's going on!

Huldra have an innate aversion to violence. They just don't feel comfortable with weapons. And if comes to a fight they'll use their illusions to gain the upper hand.

"But... I guess if you want one I won't stop you."

Then more talking from Zefir!

"Aside from the fact that you were in the Nexus before I still have no idea who you are and no reason to trust you,"
    the Huldra repeats. "Look, you go ahead and try to find a way out. Or a way to blow everything up. Or whatever it is that you want to do."

That said he'll head over toward the guy who sells bonking tools!

Why doesn't Zefir just explore some part of the prison other than where Cat and Freddie are going? The place is pretty huge and after all. And maybe if he finds some useful information on how to get out they might be more willing to trust him?

[Abbey]

"That sure sounds like fun!" Agatha laughs. "It seems like you've been getting really good! Well, it's about an hour before the evening ritual, so I have things to do until then! Later!"

And she's off!

...giving Hildur an hour to snoop around looking for the key.