New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kickstarter Thread I: Cash for The Cash God

I dislike the concept of commercial posting. Trying to 'go viral' by spamming stuff on forums annoys me no end, and it's my solemn vow to never touch a product whose marketing does this.

Well unless it's something I really need. Like, Wasteland 2 might get away with it, I suppose. But otherwise I'm adamant!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

To clear things up here: I am in no way affiliated with the Kickstarters I post about. I just think they're awesome, and want to make sure that they get exposure. This thread is for that purpose specifically, so it doesn't wind up spamming the forum.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    To clear things up here: I am in no way affiliated with the Kickstarters I post about. I just think they're awesome, and want to make sure that they get exposure. This thread is for that purpose specifically, so it doesn't wind up spamming the forum.
    Good heavens no. Posting after you does in no way imply I'm posting about you. I kinda thought that was rather obvious, I'm sorry if anyone got that impression.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A Kickstarter video game that I'm excited about: Telepath Tactics.

It's primarily a tactical game, somewhat similar to style and graphics to Shining Force (in my mind) or Fire Emblem (I've never played it, but the creator makes this analogy.) You can pit an army against other players or the computer or some combination of either (up to 6 armies in a battle.) The game also has a campaign mode, and is set up so that players can create their own campaigns, classes, or powers.

The forums give a lot of information as well.

It's fully funded already, and even a small backing gives you a release version soon after the Kickstarter ends and the final version of the game when it's done.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Master View Post
    Good heavens no. Posting after you does in no way imply I'm posting about you. I kinda thought that was rather obvious, I'm sorry if anyone got that impression.
    Ah, cool, cool, just checking.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but there is a Dwarven Forge kickstarter for dungeon tiles that started just a couple of days ago and is already rolling along nicely...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ature?ref=live

7. - Top - End - #367
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Less than 48hrs to go for Torn Armor!
    And even more miniatures have been added!
    Please share the link and help spread the word!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...235/torn-armor
    Check us out on Google+ and Facebook!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

smile Divinity: Original Sin - 2 characters, 1000 stories: a sandbox RPG

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter
    Help the creators of Divinity make their dream RPG. Wield forbidden magic, battle foes in turn-based combat and explore a rich world!
    Divinity: Original Sin is an isometric sandbox RPG (with turn-based combat) for PC (and eventually Mac and Linux as well). It’s meant to emulate aspects from other games, like the interactivity of Ultima VII, and the decision-making of pen-and-paper RPG’s.

You control a party of two to six characters (two main, two henchmen, two summons) in either single-player or drop-in/drop-out co-operative mode (each player would control one main, one henchman and one summon).

The Story
    This is a prequel to Divine Divinity and sets up many things in that game’s story. A prophecy has foretold that Source magic will spawn the Lord of Chaos, an evil god. The leaders of the mortal races, known as the Council of Seven formed a secretive sect called the Source Hunters. Their charge: hunting down practitioners of the outlawed Source magic.

At the game’s start, dual calamities have struck: Source magic has just been used to imprison the Council of Seven, and attack Blackrock, the headquarters of the Source Hunters.

The wizard Zandalor arrives at the ruins of Blackrock and finds only two survivors: your characters. He gives you a new mission: discover as much as you can about Source magic, in hopes of freeing the Council.

The Gameplay

A partner, not a follower
    In part, it’s meant to emulate the feeling of tabletop RPG’s, where all the party members have a say in things, and the plan they carry out may not always be the one the leader favours. When two characters disagree on what to do, there is a dice roll behind the scenes to determine who wins. It’s based on your Persuasion stat, plus either Strength for Intimidate checks, Intelligence for Reasoning checks, or Constitution for Charm checks. Whatever the outcome, these decisions will increase one of each character’s social stats by some amount – each decision builds up the character’s personality profile. At the end of the game, the personality profiles of the two main characters will determine the ending they get, whether they become lovers or haters or something in-between.

The game can be played in single-player (and you have options to set up how your companion reacts), or in co-op mode with another human playing with you and making decisions each time.

Combat
    Combat is turn-based and uses an action-point system similar to Fallout. You can perform (and be hit by) flanks, backstabs, and attacks of opportunity. The environment can be used in combination with your magic spells to change the face of the battlefield: Use rain to spread a puddle of water wider, and then freeze it to make your foes slip. Blast them with a fireball while they’re down. That melts the water, then you can electrify it!

Item Combinations
    Most objects in the world can be picked up thrown or interacted with. That broom or shovel can be wielded as a weapon, and a bucket can be used as a helmet. Combine a knife with a pumpkin to make a jack-o-lantern (which can also be worn as a helmet). Use the knife on your broom? Now you’ve got a spear. Find a handful of nails? Combine them with a tree branch to make a spiked club.

Questing
    The game systems are designed to be flexible, allowing for multiple solutions to quests. If a skeleton suicide bomber is threatening a woman, you could use rain to put the spell out, freeze to slow its reactions allowing the woman to escape, or you could ignore the problem or blow the skeleton (and woman) up yourself. According to the developers, it’s even possible to complete the game, even if you mercilessly wipe out the villages yourself, because there are always other ways to obtain vital clues.

Make your own adventure
    The game will ship with the editor Larian used to make the game, and you can freely make your own adventures and release them. They’re even including a separate version of the main game so you can mod that without breaking the default one.

Who are Larian Studios?
    Based in Gent, Belgium, Larian is a small game company most well-known for the Divinity series of games (Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga). These games feature lots of interactivity, freeform exploration, and entertaining conversation options.

Larian has spent frustrating years dealing with publishers. Publishers are risk-averse and impatient, they are skittish of games that don’t fit into one neat genre, and force them to release games before they’re ready. Larian has gone independent and are self-publishing two games for PC this year, Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin.

Why are they going to Kickstarter?
    The Kickstarter is NOT about funding the completion of the game. Original Sin will be finished even if the Kickstarter fails. The Kickstarter is happening because Larian wants to make the game better before release.

They want to expand the development team so they can add things like
    • More choices and consequences
    • More quests and puzzles
    • More areas to discover and explore
    • Personalities and quests for the henchmen
    • More character customization, maybe even including more playable races
    • More skills and perks
    • More game editor features

Videos:
    Why Kickstarter - 90 second version
    Why Kickstarter?
    KS Update #1: The editor
    KS Update #2: Review Meeting
    KS Update #4: Singleplayer Presentation
    Last edited by Stabbey; 2013-04-04 at 08:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh sweet, the Divinity guys are at it again? I really enjoyed Divinity II.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #370
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Dunno if this has been posted, I can't seem to find the search function. so..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...aken-virtues-0

Shroud of the Avatar. Made by Richard "Lord Brittish" Garriott, creator of the Ultima games, including Ultima Online is making a new, "Ultimate RPG"

Tracy Hickman is writing the storyline for it (Everyone here knows dragonlance I'm sure). It looks like it will be awesome and you can even get heavily involved in the development for it.

Thanks guys.

Some quick answers that most people are confused about:

You can play single player offline drm free, single player online (get game updates, see players houses/vendors etc) multiplayer online seeing friends only, massive multiplayer online seeing strangers on the screen that will be related to you in some way, similiar quests, living near you or in your geographic region etc.

The graphics shown are not final graphics, just proof of concept graphics, They will be vastly improved before release.

There will be PVP in some form, not details yet as it's still being debated. But basically they want to make as many people happy as possible and appease as many groups as possible.
    Last edited by Mishri; 2013-04-03 at 02:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Posting here to plug the Spark RPG, which hopefully hasn't already been plugged...I don't recall seeing it.

Anyhow. It's a game about watching characters wrestle with their convictions in a quickly-changing world, focused on making a character the hero in a small, Samwise-like way. I mean to put up a review tonight or tomorrow, but it's a thoroughly interesting game that lets the players shape the course of the game together.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

by Ryan Wolfe of 0 hr: art & technology
    Last edited by ki_ryn; 2013-04-16 at 10:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thumbs up Re: Kickstarter Thread I: Cash for The Cash God

Divinity: Original Sin has reached minimum funding and its first stretch goal, but it has seven days left to reach for more stretch goals: ALL STRETCH GOALS ACHIEVED!

(My first post on this.)

• At $500k, a special Homestead at the end of time will be added, for you to store items, rest, leave spare henchmen to swap in and out of your party, look at the book of unraveled destinies to see the impact your actions will have on the lives of people you've met, and many more! ACHIEVED!
    • At $650k, Traits and Talents will be added - your attributes and social stats will grant you special traits. Talents are special skills that you choose to define your character, and grant you special skills in combat, in dialogues, and in other interactions. Personality Traits are reflections of the choices you've already made and have benefits and penalties associated with them. ( For instance, a Ruthless character gains certain bonuses in combat but becomes more infamous. A Loyal character receives bonuses when fighting back to back with their companion, but gets a penalty when trying to flee.)
      ACHIEVED!
    • At $800k, Henchmen become companions - they'll have quests and backstories, becoming more than just extra muscle, but full party members in their own right, with their own goals and personality. The party's decisions will change their fate.
      ACHIEVED!
    • At $1M, Day/Night Cycles, NPC Schedules, and Weather systems are added. This is not just a cosmetic feature, but it will be part of the fabric of the world. Shops will remove their items and lock up. New monsters will show up at night, and the weather system will affect the environment and magic.
      ACHIEVED!

The Larian team is one of the best at interacting with their fans and being responsive to their suggestions.

They've revamped the reward tiers, and you can now pledge through Paypal.

There's a Ton of videos showing what the game is about, what they've already done, and what they hope to do. If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them. (Although I am not affiliated with Larian Studios.)
    Last edited by Stabbey; 2013-04-29 at 07:33 AM. Reason: all stretch goals met.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Someone is trying to get Supremacy 2020 off the ground. I have been waiting for Supremacy to be re-printed or an updated version to come out for YEARS!!!!! If my money comes in soon enough going to throw some it's way.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Golden Sky Stories is a Japanese RPG (as in, from Japan) being translated by the translator of Maid; I believe this would make it the third game to be localized from Japan. It's a game about henge, shapeshifting animals who can take on human appearance, going around and helping the humans who live in the local town. It reminds me of the Miyazaki films.

Sample gameplay here

Also, the forum may be interested to know that they'll be writing up a setting for the game inspired by a certain show about ponies...

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

So I just heard about this and it only has about 2 days left.
    Camelot Unchained
    They are about 250k away from their funding goal. I haven't had a chance to read much about it, but it is from Mark Jacob, who was the CEO of Mythic Entertainment from the times of Dark Age of Camelot and "retired" a little while after Warhammer Online launched.
    It is set in a post-apocalyptic setting and it is entirely RvR based. They are not trying to build an MMO on $2M, Mark Jacobs is also putting up $2M of his own money as well as $1M from another not specifically named funding source.

Not sure if I'm going to back it myself or not. While I loved DAOC, I'm not really playing MMOs any more. WAR was decent but (having followed it from very early in development, being a fan of both Mythic and Warhammer) I could see a lot of how the game morphed over time as the hype around it grew and it went from being a niche game to trying to be the next "everyone" MMO and "beat" WoW.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    So I just heard about this and it only has about 2 days left.
    Camelot Unchained
    They are about 250k away from their funding goal. I haven't had a chance to read much about it, but it is from Mark Jacob, who was the CEO of Mythic Entertainment from the times of Dark Age of Camelot and "retired" a little while after Warhammer Online launched.
    It is set in a post-apocalyptic setting and it is entirely RvR based. They are not trying to build an MMO on $2M, Mark Jacobs is also putting up $2M of his own money as well as $1M from another not specifically named funding source.

Not sure if I'm going to back it myself or not. While I loved DAOC, I'm not really playing MMOs any more. WAR was decent but (having followed it from very early in development, being a fan of both Mythic and Warhammer) I could see a lot of how the game morphed over time as the hype around it grew and it went from being a niche game to trying to be the next "everyone" MMO and "beat" WoW.
    ...Less than two days to get $250k. I really want to see that game, but it looks like it won't meet its goal.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering the first couple days and a bit of an up-tick in the funds per day the last few days as well as the general spike seen at the end of almost all projects and I think it has a reasonable chance of hitting the goal.

Apparently though the fans made a bit of a snafu of the marketing though. It sounds like some of the fans decided to spam many of the sites that would cover this sort of thing and pissed off a lot of said sites so no one felt like covering it. In fact I only heard about it from the PA report who was reporting on it, not as a kickstarter but, on what the fans did to piss him and a lot of other gaming news sites/outlets off.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like you were right.
    My Steam profile

20. - Top - End - #380
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not sure if this is the right place for this, since it is an TTRPG rather than a Videogame, but afaik there's no equivalent Kickstarter thread in the RPGs section, so I'm posting here.

Torchbearer. A Love Letter to Old School D&D. This game focuses on the part most of us know and remember best from old school D&D, the grim and gritty low levels. Unlike in D&D, you aren't going to level up and start killing gods, the game starts and ends at the low level, and has a heavy focus on exploration, with in depth rules for managing inventory and dealing with natural obstacles.

It's something that I will most likely only play a couple of times (if at all), but even so I thought it was worth it to pledge for the book (at a reasonable 35 dollars including shipping), and thought maybe someone reading this would be interested in it as well.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Torchbearer. A Love Letter to Old School D&D.
    I backed it. It sure met its goal quickly!

I made this thread when it was first announced. Then I made a post in the tabletop RPG kickstarter thread. You definitely described it better.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

Jagged Alliance: Flashback
    The Godfather of turn-based action is making its comeback! Experience first hand the events that lead to the founding of A.I.M.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smight View Post
    Hey - guys living in my back yard are making (the prequel for) a game I love! Neat =)

24. - Top - End - #384

PaladinGuy

OK, pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet, so I thought I might as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...res-board-game

The latest offering from Mantic Games, makers of Kings of War, Dreadball etc. (If you've never heard of Mantic, now would be the perfect time to check them out!)

Deadzone looks to sit somewhere between boardgame and skirmish game, (think Space Hulk crossed with Necromunda) and for those of you into wargames, but not interested in getting involved in a new set of rules etc. they're offering amazing modular clip together scenery sprues which look brilliant.

I'm not explaining very well, but then, I'm not paid to :D Just follow the link...
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

25. - Top - End - #385

For everybody old enough to remember The Neverhood, the original creators are making a new claymation point-and-click game! This looks like it can become nothing but amazing.

Armikrog Kickstarter

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but some folks I know are doing a kickstarter to produce some accessory sprues for wargaming minis.

By which I mean they're making sprues of combi-weapons for 40K, along with with heavy weapons and some tracked gun platforms. It seems pretty good value for money to me, could be worth a look if you're into wargaming.

Toys for your toys
    Last edited by Tome; 2013-05-30 at 11:54 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

27. - Top - End - #387

There is now a Heavy Gear Kickstarter for a new mecha video game. I have been a big fan of DreamPod 9's IP.

I enjoyed Heavy Gear II and Mecha/Gear games, so I hope that if you like that style, please share it with your friends. :)

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE
    A tactical strategy PC game on an epic fantasy timeline from the creators of Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, and Iron Brigade

inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

My Steam profile

30. - Top - End - #390
    Colossus in the Playground

What is it with all these tactics games coming out of the woodwork, and why can't I resist any of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting