New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kickstarter Thread I: Cash for The Cash God

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    To be fair, Tynd, Frog God Games is a 3rd party publisher, and not a very big one. Palladium is still bigger, and we all know THEY'd need a kickstarter to get back in the game.

...I'd buy the modual if I had the cash. Really, I want to win some kind of lottery and gnab all the "Our team will pay you a house call" rewards. All of them. At the same time. I'd have my own convention. It'd be awesome.

One can dream...
    Ah, I'd glanced over it briefly after following the link from the pathfinder site and thought it was a pazio thing. I agree, third party is very different.

In other cynicism, the 15k kickstarter for the zombie prep iphone game seems...excessive. It shouldn't cost 15k to make a game for iphone only, especially when your game is merely a glorified inventory system. Plus, rewards don't include the actual game until $10. $10 for a very specific inventory system with zombie graphics is...probably a bit much. I'm not surprised it's failing to meet it's goals.

It *could* be a very successful idea, if done in a different fashion(such as web page/multiplatform to actually get customers), but right now, it looks like a ball of fail.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It shouldn't cost 15k to make a game for iphone only, especially when your game is merely a glorified inventory system.
    Once Kickstarter and Amazon take their pound of flesh that 15k is already down to 13.5k or thereabouts. To do any game on any platform you need a programmer, a graphic artist, somebody to do the sound and possibly a musician. How long do you reckon you could hire four people for $13.5k?

I mean, if iPhone games were as simple to make as you reckon, it shouldn't have taken Rovio around a year to produce Angry Birds Space...

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Off Your Rocker got a large boost in the last couple days, brought the required to about $2900. Scuttlebut is that Stratus games might make a new pledge level to get two of their games + off your rocker.

check it out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...uirky-insanity

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Once Kickstarter and Amazon take their pound of flesh that 15k is already down to 13.5k or thereabouts. To do any game on any platform you need a programmer, a graphic artist, somebody to do the sound and possibly a musician. How long do you reckon you could hire four people for $13.5k?

I mean, if iPhone games were as simple to make as you reckon, it shouldn't have taken Rovio around a year to produce Angry Birds Space...
    Let me clarify, I'm a software engineer who does this for a living.

This is a glorified inventory app. That's ALL it is. Music? What? Dedicated audio AND musician for an iphone app?

What they needed was probably about a day's worth of coding, and a few zombie related graphics, and perhaps one or two stock sounds.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Off Your Rocker added a new pledge level that will enable everyone to get more Stratus Games!

70$ DOTTY - New! One copy of Off Your Rocker and TWO other games from Stratus Games (Gold Mine, Launch Pad, Eruption, or DiceAFARI). Add $20 for a T-shirt of your choice. Free shipping within the USA or Canada (+$15 worldwide).

if that's too rich, opt for the NUTS level
    50$ NUTS - One copy of Off Your Rocker and your choice of one other game from Stratus Games (Gold Mine, Launch Pad, Eruption, or DiceAFARI). Add $20 for a T-shirt of your choice. Free shipping within the USA or Canada (+$15 worldwide).

or hell just get the base game.

20 LOONY - One copy of Off Your Rocker. Add $20 for a T-shirt of your choice. Free shipping within the USA or Canada (+$15 worldwide).

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

2k Left For Off Your Rocker!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

56 hours to get just over 1500$, that's 80 people at the base game pledge level (20$) less if people get adventurous.

Come on guys lets push it over the top!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

less than 800$ left! way to go guys

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

is there any sort of way to browse Kickstarter by type?
    (Pen and Paper, Board Game, Video Game, Baked Goods, etc)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    is there any sort of way to browse Kickstarter by type?
    (Pen and Paper, Board Game, Video Game, Baked Goods, etc)
    http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/...es?ref=sidebar

this is closest thing they got to sorting

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Smight View Post
    http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/...es?ref=sidebar

this is closest thing they got to sorting
    Yeah, there's categories on the right that you can choose from. You can expand the popular section (see more popular projects), and that's a good way to see the major projects currently going on, for example: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/...pular?ref=more

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Off Your Rocker needs $438 to make it a reality, if anyone on the forums can help with that, I know Stratus Games would appreciate it.

(that's only 22 people getting the game at the base level of 20$)

14. - Top - End - #74

Griffon

My first Kickstarter project, ARC: A Region Charted, just launched. ARC is a set of 10 poster maps, each 18 x 24 that work together to begin exploring an IP-neutral region so that they fit into a wide range of fantasy settings. Inspiration for the maps in both design and style comes from the older D&D introductory boxes and the map pack includes PDF copies of all maps for use with projectors or online tabletops. There are a handful of other neat little tricks in the maps and other GM aids that come from decades of gaming. I'm really excited about the project and hope you'll check it out!

[Project has been cancelled--thanks to all of our great backers for their support!]
    Last edited by Runeward; 2012-06-12 at 06:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Runeward View Post
    My first Kickstarter project, ARC: A Region Charted, just launched. ARC is a set of 10 poster maps, each 18 x 24 that work together to begin exploring an IP-neutral region so that they fit into a wide range of fantasy settings. Inspiration for the maps in both design and style comes from the older D&D introductory boxes and the map pack includes PDF copies of all maps for use with projectors or online tabletops. There are a handful of other neat little tricks in the maps and other GM aids that come from decades of gaming. I'm really excited about the project and hope you'll check it out!

ARC on Kickstarter
    We've gotten some great early support and are putting up a Memorial Day special ($22 for all 10 maps, all 10 PDFs, and all 10 map supplements) with free US shipping and cheap international shipping ($4 Canada, $8 everywhere else). Thanks for your support!

[Project has been cancelled--thanks to all of our great backers for their support!]
    Always headed for rune.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Chipped in on this one, as I'm pretty fond of the idea of maps that all link together.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Only 36 hours left on Kinetic Void's kickstarter.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../?ref=kicktraq
    It is a 3D Space Combat/Trading/Exploration game (ala Elite, Freelancer, etc.) with highly detailed ship customization and management, and a wide range of scale from small fighters and drones to massive carriers and dreadnoughts.

It's going to be difficult to reach 60k in that time, but there has been a lot of momentum the past few days.

Last edited by kalelovil; 2012-05-29 at 07:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Flumph

Those of you with a toy soldiers bent can slake your lust for kickstarters with Mantic Games' Kings of War.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...8/kings-of-war

19. - Top - End - #79

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Chipped in on this one, as I'm pretty fond of the idea of maps that all link together.
    Hey thanks so much for your support! Here's a quick image of what Tyndmyr is talking about and hopefully real soon we'll be able to update it and show how a few more maps link onto it as well to make a pretty massive area. There is a dock that can repeat below, a gate above, and a sewer below.

Always headed for rune.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG
    Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Dude, that looks amazing. I'm a great fan of the xcom style of gameplay, so mixing that in with zombies and post-apocalyptic feel? Win.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello everyone!

I'm a long time lurker and infrequent poster on this forums, that happens to be planning a kickstarter campaign for a cross platform videogame project (iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, and your toaster if it supports OpenGl and OpenAl), and I would very much like to read your opinions on the matter.

Currently we are sitting on the fence because our game is almost done as we've been working on it for almost a year, and maybe we should just release it and move onto the next idea, but there are several things we would like to get done, that would improve the game for everyone, yet the only thing stopping us ain't time, but budget (For example: We would very much like to record the 11 songs that compose the soundtrack with a live orchestra, but our budget allows for just one).

So:

What kind of perks would you want from a videogame project on kickstarter? (I've got a pretty cool ideas for the ones above 1000 dollars besides the usual "let's have lunch together" kind of perk that I find ridiculous. Instead, we are particularly interested on what would you expect from the 30 to 500 range, considering that the game would be under 20 dollars, and the game plus soundtrack would be under 30 dollars)

Do people really dig merchandise like T-shirts? (this one intrigues me, as I haven't worn a branded t-shirt in my life, besides the one from my soccer team)
    "What an astonishing thing a book is.

It’s a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you’re inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years."

Carl Sagan.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Two guys of Space Quest Fame, need help for their science comedy adventure game. They got 4 days to get 125 K. Warburton (or a very VERY good copy) voiced their latest trailer. Hopeful he is in the game. So GO!

In other news, for give aways consider physical game boxes, physical albums, beta keys, sign and nonsigned collectors editions, art books, physical props that appear in the game, action figures.

Or just click the two guys link and look at their rewards. They have them all.

24. - Top - End - #84

Neal Stephenson is apparently making a swordfighting game: Clang, focusing on control and depth. Nice kickstarter video, I like the brief cameo by Gabe Newell. :)

Xenonauts has 9 hours left, for stretch goals.
    Spaceventure is at 441k/500k, with 51 hours left to go.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soralin View Post
    Neal Stephenson is apparently making a swordfighting game: Clang, focusing on control and depth. Nice kickstarter video, I like the brief cameo by Gabe Newell. :)

Xenonauts has 9 hours left, for stretch goals.
    Spaceventure is at 441k/500k, with 51 hours left to go.
    I just hopped onto kickstarter ten minots ago. This was the first thing I saw. I thought it was pritty damn cool. So after watching the vid I pledged.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Ten days left on it, but a great "Alternative" type of die for Fudge and Fate have been theorized and are having a kickstarter fund drive here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

27. - Top - End - #87

There's an android-based open gaming console being developed, Ouya, that's picked up quite a bit of attention. Open gaming/app development, usb ports/bluetooth for additional hardware, rootable, etc:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console

It's been up for about 13 hours or so now, and has picked up over $1.7 million. :)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Penny arcade have made a kickstarter to remove ads from their site.
    I'm genuinely mad about that.

Kickstarter is now officially another platform for squeezing money out of nerds.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

There's at least one Kickstarter project I backed just because the artist who writes and draws a webcomic I really like works for the company that put it up there, so I'm indirectly supporting her. I don't see that Penny Arcade thing as being majorly different--I don't have a problem with paying people who provide me with entertainment I enjoy. Heck, I even occasionally watch the adverts on the start of Youtube videos to help support the creators!

30. - Top - End - #90

GnomeWizardGuy

The ire I've seen around the 'net isn't because Penny Arcade is experimenting with crowdfunding itself, it's because they're using Kickstarter. Kickstarters usually has a rule that it is only for a well-defined creative project - a game, film, book, robot statue made from garbage cans, etc. But PA's kickstarter is about replacing their current funding model with a different one, an internal business funding decision, which is runs against Kickstarter's own rules. They claim it's okay because if you pretend PA didn't exist already then what you're really getting is a year's worth of PA comics, but a) PA does exist and they would output a year's worth of comics anyway and b) that's not what the Kickstarter page says you're getting, it says it's all about removing the ads.

In my view, PA got their goals backwards: if they had made it all about releasing new Lookouts or Automata comics with the stretch goals being the removal of ads, then it would be far more in tune with Kickstarter.