New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Kickstarter Thread I: Cash for The Cash God

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post

Wasn't the last SotS game unplayable or something?
    It's... Playable, now. Finger-pointing and name-calling aside, it was released in a very early state, but has been patched to the point of being mostly complete and largely functional. It took them somewhere around nine months after release to get there, though, and it's still not in any way what I'd call a step up from the first game. I loved SotS 1, but I wouldn't trust Kerberos at this point, and I used to be a huge fan of their style.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Halfling in the Playground

A couple new ones:

Maia: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia Which is a sort of dungeon keeper / dwarf fortress style god game, building a colony on a hostile alien world, and keeping it alive.

Starforge: http://www.indiegogo.com/starforge Which is something like a Minecraft+Halo, with physics based movement and buildings (compression/tension/strain/etc), vehicles, procedurally generated guns, land, etc. And just very ambitious in general, watch the video for the idea. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSmlrPcXumc

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think this looks good and creepy:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...=home_leanback

Unfortunately I can't back because the system doesn't support my credit card (It always is working with Kickstarter US so I'm a bit at a loss) but I really want this to get supported.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Elite: Dangerous sequel to the 1980s ELITE
    Take a ship and 100 credits to make money legally or illegally - trade, bounty-hunt, pirate, assassinate your way across the galaxy.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smight View Post
    Elite: Dangerous sequel to the 1980s ELITE
    They are asking awfull lot of money for this game ( around 2M$ ) and provide only brief description of the game. They will have problem raising that much without providing more informations about game.

That said i loved Elite and FE back in the day and will most likely back this project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random movie night quote
    Banana grey is the most awesome color ever!
    STEAM ID

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Diablo meets Left 4 dead.
    Looks pretty damn neat.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

A very fun game is well within its second week of its kickstarter for its most recent expansion. It's a very cool super hero co-op game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ered-timelines

I'm not a good salesman.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Colossus in the Playground

This. So much this.

Sui Generis is a 3D isometric view open-world RPG with a very interesting physics-based engine that extends to every object in the game (including combat). It's like Neverwinter Nights and Skyrim had a baby that went on to become Einstein or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    Diablo meets Left 4 dead.
    Looks pretty damn neat.
    I like this - original gameplay ideas, interesting graphics and monster design, co-op play.

When I support stuff on Kickstarter or Greenlight, I try to find stuff that'll break the mold of the major productions and game houses. This, I will definetely support =)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Post-Apocalyptic & Fantasy Card Deck

Hi,
    Though my AfterEarth Kickstarter didn't make it the artists had created art for a custom poker deck as the game originally used cards instead of dice.

We wanted to sort of hint at a post apocalyptic world in our card art and went fully custom with everything from the cards to the dice(chessex) and the chips.
    Anyway, if anyone has any questions feel free. We are already well past our funding but still have some time before we close.

Apocalyptica Chromatics Card Deck

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

A Comic Project
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ican-history-z

Zombies throughout history, they've been great with communication and the art looks fantastic

And a game project

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ing-personal-0

Tom Vassel and a partner created this game, looks thematically really cool, plus it's hit a ton of it's stretch goals already.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Boss Monster: the Dungeon-building Card Game

Just stumbled across this, thanks to Google+. It looks absolutely awesome, and it's a few days away from finishing. The stretch goal is almost there...almost...

Basically, it's a game where each player (who plays an evil boss monster) builds up a dungeon, attempting to lure heroes into it with treasure, aiming to score the most kills. They've apparently littered it with old-school gaming references left and right, and all the art is pretty sweet-looking pixel art.

I read their draft of the rules; so far, it looks really interesting, fluid, and fast.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Boss Monster: the Dungeon-building Card Game

Just stumbled across this, thanks to Google+. It looks absolutely awesome, and it's a few days away from finishing. The stretch goal is almost there...almost...

Basically, it's a game where each player (who plays an evil boss monster) builds up a dungeon, attempting to lure heroes into it with treasure, aiming to score the most kills. They've apparently littered it with old-school gaming references left and right, and all the art is pretty sweet-looking pixel art.

I read their draft of the rules; so far, it looks really interesting, fluid, and fast.
    Yep its awesome looking. I pledged day one.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: A kickstarter project that will interest anyone who remembers old school Sierra g

Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    So, back in the pre-historic days when I was a kid, I was a huge fan of a bunch of the Sierra titles that were around, games like the Space Quest series, Police Quest, King's Quest, etc.

However, by far my favorite were the Quest For Glory games made by Corey and Lori Cole. The games were a series of 5 D&D style fantasy games that let you choose from 1 of 3 classes (Fighter, Wizard, Thief) all of which would have vastly different ways of approaching the games, tackling problems, and subplots. The games were fun, had a great sense of humor, lots of replay value, and drew from various different mythologies in their backstories and surroundings.

Well, now the creators of that series have a kickstarter project up called Hero U: Rogue to Redemption, which seems to be in a very similar vein to the QFG games, (and is actually set in the same world) with various benefits that advances in videogame technology have allowed.

Naturally, I instantly pledged, and I hope that many others, both old time fans and those who are new to the work of the Coles, that see this and are intrigued will join me in supporting the project.

As of right now, there are 22 days to go and the project is at about $143,000 of of a $400,000 goal. I hope you'll help give it the push to make it.
    Just wanted to bump the thread on this Kickstarter. Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is in the last few days of its Kickstarter. They're doing pretty well reaching their goal of $400,000. If you remember the Quest for Glory series, maybe you could check it out?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-to-redemption

----------------------

Lord Masacre

(Yes, only one 'S' )

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

I dunno about Hero U, looks a little....simple?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkortekaas View Post
    I dunno about Hero U, looks a little....simple?
    Compared to what? If you're comparing it to live roleplay, of course there will be some simplification. If you're comparing it to other CRPGs, the dialogue interface will be more unique and in-depth than most of the CRPGs available. For example, the multiple endings available in the Deus Ex CRPGs.
    Then again, it is an independent gaming being made on a $400,000 budget; however, veteran game designers, graphic artists, and programmers are working on its production.
    I don't think simplicity is exactly what it's going for, but I could be wrong. Have you ever played a Quest for Glory game?

------------------

Lord Masacre
    (Yes, only one 'S' )
    Last edited by Lordmasacre; 2012-11-15 at 03:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Some of the games I've recently backed on Kickstarter

Rainfaill: The Sojourn - Looks like an action RPG in the spirit of the secret of mana games from the SNES era. Looks quite purdy, and I always love seeing actual game footage, and figured it's worth putting a chance on for $10. It is already funded.

Pier Solar HD - So...It sounds like this was a group of people who already made the game for Sega Genesis, but now are remaking it with improved graphics for PC and 360 and what not. It seems to be a rather classic turn-based jRPG style game of the SNES-ish era, and it looks kinda cool, and I like those kinda games, so, backed. Currently at 100,546/139,000 for funding, but pretty sure it will make it.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

Elite: Dangerous is coming close to it's first half million £

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

I'm cautiously optimistic that David Braben gets the funding to create something amazing once again. If you love space games, I hope you'll pitch in

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A kickstarter project that will interest anyone who remembers old school Sierra g

Quote Originally Posted by Lordmasacre View Post
    Just wanted to bump the thread on this Kickstarter. Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is in the last few days of its Kickstarter. They're doing pretty well reaching their goal of $400,000. If you remember the Quest for Glory series, maybe you could check it out?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-to-redemption

----------------------

Lord Masacre

(Yes, only one 'S' )
    Thanks for the bump, I wanted to do it too. They're down to the nittty gritty there, only 60 some hours left but they're within striking distance, being around $80,000 short.

Anyone that has been on the fence, now's the time to jump on board! Lets get it done!
    Wandering, but not lost

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me

Whenever someone is complaining about the comic violating D&D rules, just open this spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show

If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading. You are guaranteed to be continually frustrated and disappointed, because I don't care about that at all.
    -The Giant

Rules lawyers: rules only matter in a campaign, not a story!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Also, here's a little snippet from one of kickstarter updates, with the Coles talking about one of the things they'd like to accomplish in the game:

There are a lot of "black and white" games out there. They give the players two paths – good or evil, etc. That's an improvement over making the player sit through a linear, non-branching story.

But we can do better. Yes/No, Either/Or, Binary pathing is so last century! It's also not the way life works.

Quest for Glory broke the mold of D&D-style games by eliminating experience levels. Instead, players gradually improved each of their skills through practice. In Hero-U, we are doing the same thing for character relationships. All of your actions during the game will affect how others see you, and how they react in turn.

No two players are likely to see the exact same story in Hero-U. Each player will forge their own relationships, and choose where to spend their time. The subtle connection between these decisions will affect many aspects of game play.

This won't as simple as "You're a Thief" or "You're a Rogue Hero." The game – like real life – will be much more complex and layered. Shades of grey mean something in Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

Let's say for instance you've been friendly to one of the other students. Maybe that student saw you in the hallway after curfew, but she'll keep quiet about it. Or maybe she'll mention a useful book in the library. If things work out, maybe you can develop a romantic relationship.

Of course, the opposite is true too. Maybe someone else is jealous of that budding relationship, and decides to make you look bad. There are a lot of ways for a Rogue to find revenge. Maybe one of your teachers will stand up for you, or maybe everyone will hang you out to dry. Everything you do in the game will affect someone's attitude towards you, positively, negatively, or sideways. That would be the case when a plot element hinges on your actions, and a character decides you might be useful to them... or not.
    Wandering, but not lost

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me

Whenever someone is complaining about the comic violating D&D rules, just open this spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show

If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading. You are guaranteed to be continually frustrated and disappointed, because I don't care about that at all.
    -The Giant

Rules lawyers: rules only matter in a campaign, not a story!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    I like this - original gameplay ideas, interesting graphics and monster design, co-op play.

When I support stuff on Kickstarter or Greenlight, I try to find stuff that'll break the mold of the major productions and game houses. This, I will definetely support =)
    Woo!
    Closer to the goal!
    I'm totally excited for this, and I hope it succeeds.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

Predestination - A turn-based space 4X strategy game

Predestination is a turn-based space 4X game that significantly modernises and improves on the gameplay of classic games like Master of Orion II, Civilization and the Galactic Civilizations series. It blends turn-based galaxy management and turn-based tactical combat with modern 3D graphics, player-generated content, and innovative new game mechanics that 4X fans have been waiting years to get their hands on: A 3D galaxy map that works, real planetary exploration, streamlined micromanagement, realistic spying and planetary bombardment mechanics, and many other revolutionary features. It's all in Predestination, whether your focus is on exploring the galaxy, expanding your galactic empire, exploiting the resources around you or exterminating all races that cross your path.

23. - Top - End - #263

Had forgotten we had a Kickstarter thread, so silly me, but I'd like to introduce you to something.
    WARNING, THE FOLLOWING SPOILER CONTAINS RAMBLING.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, this is something fairly close to me personally (the guy who is attempting to create this is someone who I've been watching the content of for about 6 or 7 years now, and not once has he ever A) Disappointed me, or B) been something into which he has not put 100% of his effort into.").

So, without further ado, I introduce to you: Unforgotten Quest, by Robert Moran (creator of Unforgotten Realms, Jimmy: The World of Warcraft Story, Time Gnomes and the Minecraft game-mode "Dwarves Vs Zombies") .
    As it currently stands, the project is a 2D side scroller beat-em-up at its core, and is nearly 30% of the way to getting the funding it needs. If the game reaches its goal, it's estimated that the game will be finished by November 2014, or potentially sooner.
    If you're pressed for time, I suggest watching the trailer on the Kickstarter page. If you have a bit more time to spare and are interested in finding out more, I suggest going to the Kickstarter Release video he did on TwitchTV a few days ago.

This is a game I would deeply like to see made, and while this post is mainly just to gather support for Mr. Moran (making video games has been stated by him as his dream job, and I'd like to see that dream made a reality), I'd also like to be able to share this game with the community here (particularly since so many of you are such nice people and the game has Co-Op).

Thank you for your time.

Short version:
    The guy behind the Unforgotten Realms series is making a video game called Unforgotten Quest, it looks like it could be pretty good, so I suggest checking it out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

24. - Top - End - #264

UR has had a few half-hearted attempts at games in the past, which never took off, and I can't say I have much confidence in Moran as a game designer. And now he wants this to be a platformer, RPG maker, fighting game toolset and tower defense? I can understand that he's been wanting to do this for ages, but maybe one thing at a time (especially given that $100k isn't much in terms of budget).

The entire appeal of the series in the first place (back when it was a D&D parody) was breaking the rules of the game, which seems like it wouldn't work all that well in a platformer, but I haven't followed the series for ages so I don't know if this is still the focus.

I have absolutely no doubt that the game will be fully funded. I'm just not yet convinced that the result will be something worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    UR has had a few half-hearted attempts at games in the past, which never took off, and I can't say I have much confidence in Moran as a game designer. And now he wants this to be a platformer, RPG maker, fighting game toolset and tower defense? I can understand that he's been wanting to do this for ages, but maybe one thing at a time (especially given that $100k isn't much in terms of budget).

The entire appeal of the series in the first place (back when it was a D&D parody) was breaking the rules of the game, which seems like it wouldn't work all that well in a platformer, but I haven't followed the series for ages so I don't know if this is still the focus.

I have absolutely no doubt that the game will be fully funded. I'm just not yet convinced that the result will be something worthwhile.
    *shrugs*
    I dunno, I watched that Kickstarter Release video, and he at least has a great deal of passion for this project.
    Also, I'd say that the game itself is less about the series really, in fact, I'd argue that the only similarities I've seen so far are the art style and the basis of the setting.
    I acknowledge your apprehension (I admit, I too am worried that this project will not live up to my expectations), but for now, I am optimistic towards the quality of the result, especially if the amount of passion Moran appears to have for this particular project is anything to judge that by (incidentally, while the other attempts may have been half-hearted, I'm under the impression that this will be different).

Short version: *shrugs* Maybe it'll be good, maybe it won't. Maybe something will come along in the near future that might convince you otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Project GODUS
    GODUS is a delightful reinvention of the god game from 22cans and Peter Molyneux, who created the genre. For PC and Mobile iOS, Android

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Smight View Post
    Right, still haven't figured out why that one is on Kickstarter. Molyneux's track record recently has been... erratic to put it kindly. And well, this article (mild language warning) sums up my feelings about the recent trend of big names showing up on Kickstarter.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

28. - Top - End - #268

BlackDragon

I can kind of see the guy's point, but I think he's missing that some of these projects simply wouldn't be able to be funded any other way. Elite: Dangerous is a perfect example--it's in a genre (space combat and trading) which has been largely dead for years; can anyone name a game in that genre that has been commercially released in the last ten years, other than the X series? The point-and-click adventure that Double Fine are working on falls into this category as well.

Don't get me wrong here--I have my own doubts and quibbles about Elite: Dangerous, mostly related to how ham-fisted its Kickstarter is being handled and how little information they're releasing about it; Frontier Developments has more than 200 employees, can't they spare one to do some concept art or maybe even put a couple of videos together? It all smacks of extreme arrogance on Braben's behalf--e.g. "they'll back me just because it's me, not because I'm showing anything substantive about the game or providing any reason for them to do so".

29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spud's Quest is a retro platformer adventure game inspired by Dizzy, Legend of Zelda and Metroid, and which I think looks pretty charming. It's already 70% complete and there's a demo too.

On Project GODUS: I loved Populous, but Molyneux already tried reinventing it with Black & White and that ended up a total mess. Plus the way they're marketing the Kickstarter it feels entirely like a pre-order and not that they desperately need the money. I'll probably think about buying a new Populous after it is released when I know it isn't a design trainwreck, but not now.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-11-23 at 04:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post
    Right, still haven't figured out why that one is on Kickstarter. Molyneux's track record recently has been... erratic to put it kindly. And well, this article (mild language warning) sums up my feelings about the recent trend of big names showing up on Kickstarter.
    Peter Molyneux and his team have, in 20 years, produced three great games: Populous, Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate. They have produced a range of others going from acceptable to utter junk.

Now, frankly, I think Peter is doing the exact right thing by going back to the wellspring of inspiration. I just really wish he'd come up with a new game, rather than a remake of an old one.

I really want a new populous. I really, really want a new Populous, and a new Dungeon Keeper. But I'd rather someone else make it.