New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: An Unchanging Reality (Take two)

"If we'll get in trouble, we claim to have confused them with bandits." Serph says, hiding his bow.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Dromet finds a nice Shortbow, very well made, (masterwork shortbow) along with 19 arrows and the quiver. The Archer is also carrying three potions, all labeled cure, and an envelope with his orders, which correspond to those that the leader spoke of from the beginning. Of note is the orders are signed by one Dendu Vigorn.

Eophyn searches the body and finds a longsword, that the man was wearing a suit of leather armor, and carrying two potions that are unlabeled. Presumably the man knew what they were himself. She also finds a set of orders, identical to those that were carried by the archer.

"The shrines neutral territory, Aaran's men don't have any power if we can reach it." The man starts up his carriage and starts to talk, explaining some more about the recent events. "Ever since the murder of his father, Aaran has taken control of the kingdom with an iron fist. He declared war on the kingdom of Reynald almost immediately after his coronation, claiming that their king was responsible for the death of his father and the disappearance of his younger brother, of whom was one of a small group that the crime was committed by. I don't believe it." He points towards the ever approaching temple the four of them were moving towards, and smiles. "I'm almost free. I wanna set up shop in the kingdom of Vesperia, so if you two ever find yourselves around, look me up. I'll gladly give you a discount for the help you've been, especially now that you know i'm breaking the law." After they enter the neutral territory that makes up the shrine of Angara, he gets back down and shakes Dromets hand, handing him a pouch of gold then digging into his wagon for a few items. After a moment, he comes back and hands each of the three a different item, whispering thanks before he turns and leaves with his stuff, headed off the road towards Vesperia.

Dromet

Spoiler
    Show
    In the bag you find yourself a nice suit of chain mail, very well made (masterwork)

The pouch of gold contains 700gp for the three of you to split

Serph

Spoiler
    Show
    The merchant handed you a small quiver of arrows, this one with a note attached. The note specifies that these arrows are made to lodge the oddly shaped head into the skin, hurting the target for a good deal longer than normal arrows would.

Translation, these are bleeding arrows. You have 20, and each one deals 1 point of bleed damage per turn after a successful hit, assuming the target doesn't make a heal check.

Eophyn

Spoiler
    Show
    The man gave you a unique cleaning rag, and whispers to you to use it on that blade of yours.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

She strips the body of the simple items: sword, potions, and letter. She'll try to identify them later.

She thanks the merchant for the money and items. Then wishes him luck on his journey.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dromet picked up the bow and arrows, the potions and the note. He pockets what he can then carries the rest. "Thank you," he says to the merchant as his hands are filled with items. He then takes count of everything he has recieved.
    "Serp, maybe we should carry these orders with us, may help if we get in a bind coming through here again," Dromet will call as he places the sack of gold on the ground. He then dons the new chain shirt the merchant gave and packs his old one in his bag. "He paid seven hundred, now we can eat well and get moving. Where to anyway," he questions as he adjusts his equipment.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

Having some time Eophyn takes out the three potions she had collected. She casts a light spell and holds up each potion.

The pretty elf hands Dromet a potion, "This should protect you in a fight."

Spoiler
    Show

Eophyn hands Dromet a potion of Shield of Faith.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"That reminds me, I have 3 healing potions in case we need them," Dromet will say as E hands him the vial.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

Goblin

"Lets get some sleep, then we'll discuss where to go." Serph says. He also needs some time to fianlly read those books they stolen fro mtheir captors.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

"Give Serp a potion, I have one from the house."

Once they find a comfortable place to rest, Eophyn begins to polish her weapon with the rag. Her eyes widen. "Hey, look at this. All the small nicks and scratches are gone. Even that chip when I hit that stone statue. Even the balance is better."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"That is something special, I think if we look him up again I may need one of those," Dromet says as he looks on the blade. He quietly passes a cure potion to Serp and settles himself for rest.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The monks welcome the party in and give them small cots to sleep on. The party sleeps a good eight hours and wakes up a few hours before high noon, rested, refreshed, and ready to take on the day. The monks are plenty willing to help the travelers with anything they need help with, and make it clear to them when they leave the resting area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free reign for you three.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

The young elf takes this time to explore the temple. When she can she asks the monks about the the temple history or architecture.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Goblin

Serph meanwhile takes his time to study two books, starting with "Children Stories Made Real?".

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eophyn

Spoiler
    Show
    The main structure extends about six hundred feet underground, and although you don't get to explore it, the monks do explain that it spreads into a number of various rooms, mostly for those who come searching for enlightenment to seek. He reminds her that the shrine was founded 500 years ago by the hero of Angara, Sentan Teishu, but that the day he vanished, he left upon the wall a message in a language long lost to mortalkind. He tells her of the story of the hero of Angara, copying over the same story that she will have known by heart by the time she was old enough to walk. He ends his tour by showing her to the writing on the wall, which she can feel has a very powerful magical aura, even though she isn't looking to find it.

Serph
    Spoiler
    Show

Most of the stories in this book have been crossed off and scribbled over, and the only one left intact is the one labeled The Legend of Sentan Teishu. As with everybody, Serph still remembers the story told to him when he was young, as much as anyone else does, and recognizes him as the Hero of Angara. Many parts are underlined or circled, as if the previous owner were studying it profusely. The story still reads the same as you remembered it, but scrawled in the margins are various notes and ideas.

Reading over the notes and scribbles, you get the idea that the previous owner believed there was more to the story than it tells. At the end of the story one final hastily scribbled note is placed.
    I think i might have located a copy of the original text. I go out to collect it now, and it might give me the answers i look for.

Moving on to the next one, you find it to be a much more detailed report of the childrens legend you know. There are no scribbles in it, no writing or notes of any kind, unlike the previous one. The story written, paraphrased, follows.

Divine ruination struck. A pillar of light bore down upon the capitol and then it was over. An explosion like none ever seen before had taken out the capitol of our world, and left man leaderless and powerless. The dark wizard had done his evil deed and destroyed all hope man would ever have of stopping him. Countless warriors tried in the wake of his destruction, each fought valiently, but none could reach the inner sanctum of his icy lair. One man stepped up in the end. A warrior named Sentan Teishu, he and his companions, the agile warrior Del Gestorn, the merciful paladin Warren Reynald, and the beautiful witch Lady Vesperia, stepped forward and began to charge forward to take down the dark wizard. Unlike the others though, they took a different path. The heroes scoured the world for the wizards lieutenants, killing each in turn before turning on the wizard himself. As each fell though, tensions rose, and many times the group flared to near the point of breaking apart as they were. With the lieutenants gone, the wizard himself stepped forward, leaving his icy lair to fight the heroes on equal ground, where they fought for a day and a night, and when they thought themselves victorious, they found each of them at each others throats instead. The wizard had turned Del against the others, and in the moment of his betrayal, he turned and cut down two of his companions, before Sentan himself was able to put him down on his own. With just Sentan and the wizard left, the two dueled, neither side giving up a step to the other, until Sentan finally landed a killing blow on his foe, ending the wizards life where he stood, and causing him to explode in an explosion that appeared to have killed everything. It is still unknown how they survived, and the gods are believed to have been involved, but a month later the heroes, all four of them, stepped out from a point considered the center of the world, as though they had never died. The betrayal the heroes suffered found them sure they were unable to continue traveling together, but as they had stopped the great evil, there was no more need to. Instead, Sentan handed each of them a relic taken from the remains of his foe, although he refused to explain how he had gotten them, and sent each of them to establish a kingdom, to work in harmony while separate from the others. He himself founded the Shrine of Angara, the holy place that was to be neutral ground for the three kingdoms, and then set off on a series of journeys. Before his final one, he wrote upon the wall one phrase in an ancient language. Many have tried to translate it, but none have succeeded.

After the story ends, there is one note written in a different hand than the ones that were written in the other one. The single world is Daerlius.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dromet, when left alone will look for the point of ascension. Guessing it may be forgotten or hidden but spedns his time feeling like he is looking for a secret treasure and feeling like a kid again.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dromet finds a path a good ways away from the main roads, that leads spiraling around the temple till it ends at an incline to the top of the temple. Reaching the end of the path, the view spreads off for miles in every direction.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dromet would take a few minutes to take in the view and look for any structures he can see in the distance. Then he would procede to examine the summit.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

17. - Top - End - #287
    Banned

Goblin

Serph is quite suprised with the book. Why woul people who kidnapped them be so fascinated with fairy tales, things that never happened? Just why? Maybe it's a trick? Something they wanted to use to put them into confusion? He notes the word Daerlius on a sheet of paper he puts into one of his pockets and then starts studying second book, through he is expecting to find the same in it, legend iwth a lot of adnotations. Later he should try to decipher them, see what was written over other fairy tales.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

The girl's eyes widen as she gazes at the writing. The power of the words are enchanting and it takes her effort to take her eyes from it. "Does anyone know what it says?" she asks the monk.

"You must get many visitors who want to look at this, don't you?"
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-08-13 at 09:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eophyn

Spoiler
    Show
    "Nobody has ever deciphered it and spoke of it to us. If someone has, they kept it to themselves. Many people come every day to look at it, some find power in the words, others a challenge, and still others come to pray to the words, treating them like they were an altar to the hero of angara himself."

Dromet

Spoiler
    Show
    As you examine the surrounding areas, you see a beautiful expanse of land along all directions, and can recognize a few of the neighboring towns from the other kingdoms. However, nothing really stands out to him.

Serph

Spoiler
    Show
    As you reexamine the first book looking down the notes, you see a lot of them have references to the real story you had just read in the other book. Many of the scribblings note inconsistencies between the stories, albeit more vague, as though the writer had never read the true story. A couple of notes indicate that the writer believes that the story is a lot more complicated than originally believed, but there is nothing more conclusive that you can draw from the writing than that.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

Her attention back at the words, she asks, "Has a man in black armor come by here, his name is Findo Gask. You would recognize him by his eyes, they are like looking into death." The words tumble out of her mouth before she realizes she is asking it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dromet will take 20 examining the area for anything that looks abnormal. That gives his perception a 20.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eophyn

The man turns and raises an eyebrow at Eophyn. "Yes, Findo Gask comes here rather regularly, typically with company. In fact, we are expecting a visit from him today or tomorrow."

Dromet

Dromet doesn't notice anything for a little while, but as he finally goes to give up, he notices a small group of people approaching from the same direction he came from. He can't quite make out anything among them, but that one is leading with two or three others following behind him.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dromet will take note of the approching group and then just go off to find his friends with no particular hurry.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

Her voice is a little hesitant, "What can you tell me about Findo Gask? Who is he?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    My apologies, been forgetful

The monk smiles at Eophyn. "He doesn't share much. He is a mercenary, or was, but recently found himself permanently employed under someone very powerful. He doesn't talk much about what he does anymore. Why do you ask?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

The girl sneers as she tries to think of what to say. "We found a poster saying that he thought us criminals, but when we met him he let us go... and he clearly recognized us."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Why yes child, i know of the poster of which you speak. And the crime it is said you have committed. Everything that travels between the kingdoms must go through us, but we are dedicated to neutrality, and as long as you are here, you are safe from those assumed bounties you have." The monk lowered his voice, and leaned in to whisper to her. "If he let you go after recognizing, then he probably doesn't quite agree with his employer. I know the bounty posters are faked, but i am sworn to neutrality nonetheless."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

In a whisper she asks, "Who is his employer?"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The monk shakes his head. "I don't know. Whoever it is is obviously very powerful and very secretive."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Eophyn

She thanks the monk for his help and then heads of to find Serp. Finding him with his books she says, "We need to go soon. Findo Gask maybe coming soon."