Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Crystal Titans [3.5e Race]

    Aegis
    Origin
    Aegis were a creation by the the gnomes using Koumarn technology during the Second Era. Orginally we had no minds and were simple soldiers. The Aegis & Gnomish soldiers struck first at the kobolds of the Dragon Isles. Most kobolds were wipped out during the raids and seiges, or taken as slaves. One slave noticed that the Koumarn were so powerful that they didn't need Aegis, but they had started to rely on them. So he and another slave who happened to be a powerful binder summoned a powerful outsider. Some say it was a Infernal Duke others, a Celestial Angel. The two then gave their souls to the outsider, in return the outsider gave them a staff. Which upon contact with an Aegis it would grant it sentience. The Aegis were wracked with guilt over the thousands that they had slaughtered. They immediately rebelled and turned on the Gnomes & Koumarn and set the Kobolds free.

    Personality
    Aegis spend the majority of their days contemplating their existence and trying to think of a potential future for the Aegis. Aegis were infused with small shreds of the Astral Sea, not unlike the way a Binder infuses the soul to a golem, this gives them thought capabilities on par with most humanoids. But despite their similar mental capabilties, there is a large social gap between Aegis and "organic" species. Aegis are incredibly analytical and pragmatic, often opting for the option with the least difficulty for all involved, but they generally don't understand many emotions and have no physical desires. Though constructs, there are exceptionally altruistic, and no longer malicious, individuals. Since their creation and subsequent rebellion, the Aegis have strived to assume control over their own lives and fates.

    Physical Description
    Aegis are large humanoids, typically 7'10". Their crystalline composition give them considerable weight and a slow, stomping gait. Aegis often sport intricate etchings and arcane runes from their former lives as enslaved war machines. An Aegis is made of Bright Crystal, a positively-charged crystal that gives the Aegis such living qualities. An Aegis face is a large shard of crystal with blank yellow eyes. Aegis lack any form of olfactory system but have a simple nervous system, enough to be aware of pain and damage done to them.

    Relations
    Most races recede at the sight of an Aegis, this is because they were originally used as weapons of war. Hatred runs deep for most races due to the deaths of loved ones at the hands of them. To more forgiving races, the enigmatic Dunesti and the short-lived, forgetful Karmainian's, the Aegis present a unique trade partner and possible ally. Dwarves respect the craftsmanship of the stone and applaud their combat prowess, though Dwarves are still wary of Aegis, they count them as friends. The have a strong relationship with Kobolds, as they were all given sentience because of kobold sacrifice. All Aegis have a deep seated hatred for Gnomes and Koumarn, there previous enslavers. They will never willing work with a Mindflayer, but they have been known to trust gnomes after a few years of contact.

    Alignment
    Almost all Aegis follow some form of Neutrality. All alignments are present in the race, however. The most common would be Neutral/Good, because of the Aegis' drive to remove their title of 'war machine'.

    An evil Aegis is a peculiar sight, the Crystal rejects the mind and turns a dark red or an empty black, depending on how destructive the soul is (this is merely aesthetic and has no effect on healing or other effects). This colouration remains for the Aegis's whole existance, even if the Aegis changes its alignment its crystal will remained stained.

    Lands
    The Aegis have no lands to speak of, though they can live virtually anywhere. Aegis are more likely to associate with whatever race accepts them than most of their own kind. Aegis 'families', that is, groups that decided to travel together, may sometimes set up camps on the outskirts of villages. Though they may not be liked, the defence offered by sentinel constructs has its appeal.

    Religion
    Surprisingly, Aegis are highly religious, often wondering of the gods opinions on the Aegis, and whether or not they have a proper afterlife. They typically worship the local deities of the population in an attempt at assimilation. Aegis almost never worship any deity of war, believing it would brand them a tool of war.

    Language
    Aegis were taught "Deep & Trader Tongue" by their enslavers. Their analytical minds allow them to learn or comprehend almost any language fairly easily. But they have no language of their own.

    Names
    Most Aegis were given titles like Warrior-2 or Destroyer-99 by the Gnomes who created them. They thought they lacked flavour or appeal and now pick names found in books or from stories.
    Typical Names include: Firebrand, Heart-Seeker, Aegis Fang, Twinkle. For some reason or another, they seem to prefer the names of the weapons as opposed to the characters.

    Racial Traits
    • Construct (Living)
    • +2 Constitution, −2 Wisdom, −2 Charisma: Aegis are durable, but lack much in worldly or social knowledge. As such they generally lack "common sense" and are socially inept.
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, Aegis have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Aegis base land speed is 20 ft. However, Aegis can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
    • Crystalline Body: As an Aegis is made completely of crystal it has amazingly hard and resistant to attack. An Aegis has a Damage Reduction of 2/-. Also because of its crystal nature it is vulnerable to the Shatter spell.
    • Distinct Form: An Aegis suffers a -4 penalty to Disguise and Hide checks. An Aegis has a very obvious appearance and has greate difficulty hiding itself.
    • Heavy Crystal: An Aegis suffers a -5 penalty to Move Silently and Swim checks.
    • Natural Weapons: Aegis have a primary slam attack that deals 1d6 points of slashing damage plus Strength bonus. Aegis are physically strong and their arms are razor sharp.
    • Powerful Build: The physical stature of Aegis lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an Aegis is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Aegis is treated as one size large if doing so is advantageous to the character. An Aegis is also considered to be one size larger when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. An Aegis can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, the space and reach of an Aegis remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
    • Favored Class: Fighter.


    Vital Statistics



    Metis
    Metis are Aegis which were designed by the Koumarn as a failsafe in case the Aegis went rogue. The Gnomes and the Aegis have no knowledge about them and as they were made in secret. These Metis have harder and large bodies and smarter minds. They can also manipulate there own bodies, allowing them to have a weapon even if disarmed.

    There are currently 127 Metis in the world.

    Metis traits (Ex): These traits are in addition to the Aegis traits, except where noted.
    • +2 Int, −2 Wisdom: Metis are more intelligent than Aegis but are weaker willed.
    • Large Size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty to hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of medium characters.
    • Crystalline Body: As a Metis is made completely of crystal it has amazingly hard and resistant to attack. A Metis has a Damage Reduction of 5/-. Also because of its crystal nature it is vulnerable to the Shatter spell.
    • Natural Weapons: Metis have 2 primary slam attacks that deals 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage plus Strength bonus. Metis may also form either of their hands into a blade-like weapon to use as a a secondary attack. This attack deals 1d8 points of piercing and slashing damage plus 1/2 Strength bonus. This replaces the Natural Weapons of the Aegis.
    • Slight Build: Metis are larger than Aegis, but because of their specialized design they are small enough to function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a Metis is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Metis is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A Metis is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A Metis can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a Metis remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category. This replaces the Powerful Build of an Aegis.
    • LA: +2
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-08-21 at 04:14 AM.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Here
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    You didn't add a LA, though it is at least +1 because of Powerful Build. (which is troubling, because most LA 1 races are better. Maybe increase Con to +4?)

    I must say that I like the flavor though. Question: do Aegis' age? If so, are they penalized normally or differently?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    You didn't add a LA, though it is at least +1 because of Powerful Build. (which is troubling, because most LA 1 races are better. Maybe increase Con to +4?)

    I must say that I like the flavor though. Question: do Aegis' age? If so, are they penalized normally or differently?
    I don't want it to be LA +1 so I didn't write it as LA +1. I didn't think Powerful Build would be worth LA +1. Also I'll add in the Aegis Age and similiar statistics.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debihuman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    3 Natural attacks and powerful build would be asking for level adjustment. Generally, a creature must be Large to gain 2 slam attacks (however Powerful Build could account for this). Furthermore, you need to have a limb for each natural attack so the blade attack must come from a 3rd limb even if is a natural secondary attack (and the blade takes a -5 penalty to attack unless the creature takes the multiattack or improved multiattack feats).

    Can they also use manufactured weapons? It seems like they would use either their slams or a manufactured weapon but could use their blade with either. If they cannot use manufactured weapons, this puts them at a major disadvantage as a PC.

    Remember that creatures (and PCs) do not get iterative attacks for high BAB for natural weapons. It can only ever make ONE attack each of it its slams and with its natural blade per round. At lower levels it is a boon but at higher levels when other PCs can make multiple attacks with their weapons, the natural weapons will seem weaker in comparison. Plus, you don't normally get to magically enhance your natural weapons. Note: if you allow your PC to do this, you should allow monsters to do this as well. I personally don't recommend it. The last thing you need is a monster with shocking keen claws. Then again it might be fun to throw one at some unsuspecting players, but I digress.

    It seems like they should automatically be proficient with swords (depending on what kind of blade their natural weapon is).

    Another drawback is that they are crystalline creatures and thus can be affected by a shatter spell.

    Since they lack an olfactory sense, you should note that this makes them immune to scent related attacks. They would be immune to a Troglodyte's stench though it might still be affected by a stinking cloud spell since that effect is magical in nature. You should probably clarify this. If you wanted to beef them up even more, you could make them immune to nausea (even magical nausea but that definitely adds to Level Adjustment).

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-20 at 07:49 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either.

    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

    I've got a red pen and I'm not afraid to use it.

    my creations

    Thanks Gurgleflep for my new avatar!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    3 Natural attacks and powerful build would be asking for level adjustment but it depends on how you define these. Generally, a creature must be Large to gain 2 slam attacks (however Powerful Build could account for this). Furthermore, you need to have a limb for each natural attack so the blade attack must come from a 3rd limb even if is a natural secondary attack (and the blade takes a -5 penalty to attack unless the creature takes the multiattack or improved multiattack feats).
    I based its natural weapons off of the kobolds who get two claw attacks (turned into slams) and a bite attack (Turned into the Crystal Blade). Also I didn't know that for 3 natural attacks you need three limbs, could you show me were you read that.

    Can they also use manufactured weapons? It seems like they would use either their slams or a manufactured weapon but could use their blade with either. If they cannot use manufactured weapons, this puts them at a major disadvantage as a PC.
    Yes they can. What gave you the impression they could not?

    Remember that creatures do not get iterative attacks for high BAB for natural weapons. It can only ever make ONE attack with its natural blade per round. At lower levels it is a boon but at higher levels when PCs can make multiple attacks with their weapons, the natural blade is weaker in comparison.
    Yes I still remember.

    It seems like they should automatically be proficient with swords (depending on what kind of blade their natural weapon is).
    It isn't like a normal sword, they more warp the edges of their hands into sharp blades.

    Another drawback is that they are crystalline creatures and thus can be affected by a shatter spell.
    Yes they are.

    Since they lack an olfactory sense, you should note that this makes them immune to scent related attacks. They would be immune to a Troglodyte's stench though it might still be affected by a stinking cloud spell since that effect is magical in nature. You should probably clarify this. If you wanted to beef them up even more, you could make them immune to nausea.
    Good idea.

    EDIT:
    Living constructs are immune nausea already.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-04-20 at 07:59 AM.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mithril Leaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Couple of things. First off, I'm getting a major goliath warforged half breed vibe from this race. I kinda like it. Secondly, I might consider either upping or removing the natural armor bonus, but that's just me. I feel as though a solid crystal tank man would have at least as much natural armor as a scaly chaotic frog man (Neraphim). Also, you may wish to clarify whether or not using manufactured weapons removes your slam attacks. I personally can't tell if that is the case.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arse end of nowhere, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Have you considered allowing them to access warforged feats? Could have a rather interesting time with this using a crystal-inclined psychic warrior...

    Personally, I'd prefer the Aegis to be beefed a bit and given LA+1. If you changed the natural attacks to being able to do bludgeoning (x3) or slashing (19-20/x2) damage, and made the secondary attack as a headbutt (like a bite, only bludgeoning with appropriate crit) then you dodge the fluff vs. mechanics issue a bit.

    The powerful build plus dawrf-like speed and armour freedoms make for an interesting point on balance, these guys are pretty hardcore, especially with effects which increase their base speed.

    Natural armour seems a poor fit. I feel a small DR 2/- would be more appropriate for these guys.

    Generally speaking though, sweet race, full of flavour. Nice!
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

    My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Couple of things. First off, I'm getting a major goliath warforged half breed vibe from this race. I kinda like it. Secondly, I might consider either upping or removing the natural armor bonus, but that's just me. I feel as though a solid crystal tank man would have at least as much natural armor as a scaly chaotic frog man (Neraphim). Also, you may wish to clarify whether or not using manufactured weapons removes your slam attacks. I personally can't tell if that is the case.
    I don't have races of stone because of the gnome content in it so I've never actually read anything about Goliath's and the only thing I know about them is that they live underground.

    As for AC, wouldn't that make this a LA +1 class. I might bump it up a bit though.

    As for the slam, why wouldn't you be able to use slam while using manufactured weapons. If you are a vampire can you attack with a slam attack while your holding manufactured weapons?

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    Have you considered allowing them to access warforged feats? Could have a rather interesting time with this using a crystal-inclined psychic warrior...

    Personally, I'd prefer the Aegis to be beefed a bit and given LA+1. If you changed the natural attacks to being able to do bludgeoning (x3) or slashing (19-20/x2) damage, and made the secondary attack as a headbutt (like a bite, only bludgeoning with appropriate crit) then you dodge the fluff vs. mechanics issue a bit.

    The powerful build plus dawrf-like speed and armour freedoms make for an interesting point on balance, these guys are pretty hardcore, especially with effects which increase their base speed.

    Natural armour seems a poor fit. I feel a small DR 2/- would be more appropriate for these guys.

    Generally speaking though, sweet race, full of flavour. Nice!
    Thanks. But I haven't read anything about warforged feats, where are they?
    Also based on these responses I think I might make an advanced version of this race. Like how the Warforged have different versions.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-04-20 at 08:46 AM.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debihuman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Natural weapons

    Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Likewise, it threatens any space it can reach. Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons.

    The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.
    A creature can make a claw attack OR a slam attack with the same limb but not both. Creatures cannot make two bite attacks unless they have 2 mouths. I am considering a mouth to be the equivalent of a limb. A creature cannot hit with a slam and blade unless it has a limb for each. Notice I bolded the "or" in the natural attacks.

    Without a proper description of your creature, it is impossible to tell what it is supposed to look like. Form follows function. If it makes 3 attacks, then it better have the number of limbs necessary. [more on this latter]

    Since you brought kobolds, I'll address this. Standard kobolds do not have any natural weapons (I suppose they could make unarmed attacks like everyone else) unless you are basing the kobold from the web enhancement for Races of the Dragon, which gave kobolds natural attacks as a VARIANT ability. The article makes a decent argument that it doesn't really add to LA for kobolds especially since those attacks are only 1d3 and thus relatively weak and such kobolds are made weaker by giving them slight build. Small creatures normally have 1d3 claw attacks. Since slight build only kicks in if it is advantageous, it does not affect the claw damage of the kobold.

    However, powerful build is advantageous when applied to a creature's natural attacks. Your creature is larger, more powerful and should have powerful natural attacks than a kobold.

    It isn't like a normal sword, they more warp the edges of their hands into sharp blades
    If they have 2 slams but change one of their slam attacks into a blade, that is different from having 2 slams and a blade. If that is exactly what you mean, then I have a question or two for you.
    How long does it take for the creature to turn one of its slam attacks into a blade attack? How long does it take to turn back? Is this a standard action or can it do this as an immediate action?

    As I mentioned earlier, you cannot hit with both a blade and a slam with the same limb on the same attack That would be like hitting with a sword and making an punch with the same arm and hand. I am calling shenanigans on that right now. This is why you have to know how many limbs the creature can attack with.

    Here is a more practical example. The Deinonychus (in Dinosaur) has listed both talons and foreclaws and the text makes it clear its talons are on its rear claws only.

    Some creatures can attack with their front claws and add a rake with their rear claws (most cats and cat-like creatures can do this). Rake was badly written. as it isn't always clear from the text that this is what rake does. But I digress.

    Here's the major problem with your creature: Your slam attacks are just too weak. A Medium creature with powerful build should have the same slam attack as a Large zombie (1d8). Your two 1d4 slams are just too puny in relation to other creatures.

    Giving it a blade attack at 1d4 in addition to the 2 slams that do 1d4 each doesn't really help it.

    I can show you this mathematically.

    If you gave your crystal warrior 2 slam attacks at 1d8 each, it gives you an average of 9 hit points of damage. 3 attacks at 1d4 each gives you just 7 hit points of damage on average. 2x4.5=9. 3x2.5=7.5 (and since you round down it's 7).

    You are better off losing the blade and just giving it appropriate slams for both its size and for powerful build.

    Conversely, you could keep the 3 attacks (it would then be a 3 limbed creature and it would qualify for the multiattack feat) but then you should lose the powerful build. The appropriate damage for a Medium creature with 3 attacks without powerful build would be 3d6. 3d6 gives you 10 points of damage on average. 3x3.5=10.5 (and you round down to 10).

    However, this is your critter. If you want it to be powerful then let it be. If you want to keep all three attacks and keep powerful build, it really needs LA +1. 3d8 = 3x4.5 =13. 5 (on average it does 13 points of damage).

    It all boils down to the numbers. However, let me just say that giving it powerful build with hamstrung attacks is just poor design.

    ONE MORE THING
    Aegis is a terrible name for these. The aegis was a shield in Greek mythology belonging to Athena (and sometime Zeus) that was made by the cyclopes in Hephaestus's forge. It was covered in goatskin and adorned with an image of Medusa. The name suggests nothing crystalline about these creatures.

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-20 at 10:44 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either.

    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

    I've got a red pen and I'm not afraid to use it.

    my creations

    Thanks Gurgleflep for my new avatar!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mithril Leaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    What Debby said covered my natural attack question. I assumed that it had 2 arms, and each one was used as a natural attack, plus the main arm had a blade attachment. Warforged feats are in Races Of Eberron (IIRC).

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    A creature can make a claw attack OR a slam attack with the same limb but not both. Creatures cannot make two bite attacks unless they have 2 mouths. I am considering a mouth to be the equivalent of a limb. A creature cannot hit with a slam and blade unless it has a limb for each. Notice I bolded the "or" in the natural attacks.
    I haven't read that before. Thanks for telling me. But based off this I can only have one slam or one blade attack based on it being only medium size

    Without a proper description of your creature, it is impossible to tell what it is supposed to look like. Form follows function. If it makes 3 attacks, then it better have the number of limbs necessary. [more on this latter]
    How is it impossible to tell what it is supposed to look like. If not mentioned otherwise it is expected that a race has two arms and two legs. Which is why it doesn't say how many limbs a elf or a dwarf have. It even said that it makes use of one of its already existing arms for the crystal blade.

    Since you brought kobolds, I'll address this. Standard kobolds do not have any natural weapons (I suppose they could make unarmed attacks like everyone else) unless you are basing the kobold from the web enhancement for Races of the Dragon, which gave kobolds natural attacks as a VARIANT ability. The article makes a decent argument that it doesn't really add to LA for kobolds especially since those attacks are only 1d3 and thus relatively weak and such kobolds are made weaker by giving them slight build. Small creatures normally have 1d3 claw attacks. Since slight build only kicks in if it is advantageous, it does not affect the claw damage of the kobold.
    I was under the impression that these Variant Racial Traits were in addition to its normal traits as it makes no mention of replacing abilities or removing them. As such I treat these traits and the ones in the RotD as if they were one entity. Also Slight Build and Powerful Build have no effect on natural weapons by RAW.

    However, powerful build is advantageous when applied to a creature's natural attacks. Your creature is larger, more powerful and should have powerful natural attacks than a kobold.
    Were does it say that Powerful Build affects Natural Attacks.

    If they have 2 slams but change one of their slam attacks into a blade, that is different from having 2 slams and a blade. If that is exactly what you mean, then I have a question or two for you.
    They don't lose their ability to do a slam attack, they don't turn a slam attack into a blade. They had 2 slams and a blade.

    How long does it take for the creature to turn one of its hand edges into a blade attack? How long does it take to turn back? Is this a standard action or can it do this as an immediate action?
    It takes less than a half a second. You can make the edges of your hand sharp, making it into a blade. If your hand was crystal it would be sharp. This is my way of allowing you to attack with your sharp hands.

    As I mentioned earlier, you cannot hit with both a blade and a slam with the same limb on the same attack That would be like hitting with a sword and making an punch with the same arm and hand. I am calling shenanigans on that right now. This is why you have to know how many limbs the creature can attack with.
    It isn't like your holding a sword though. It is a blade, but not a sword. There a difference. But obviously we have different views on how it would work in battle. Here is what I image happening: You punch the enemy at hit his chest hurting him a bit then slash the oponnent with the sharp edge of your hand. It is like a person attacking once, then attacking again. I don't see the problem with that.
    Here is a more practical example. The Deinonychus (in Dinosaur) has listed both talons and foreclaws and the text makes it clear its talons are on its rear claws only.

    Some creatures can attack with their front claws and add a rake with their rear claws (most cats and cat-like creatures can do this). Rake was badly written. as it isn't always clear from the text that this is what rake does. But I digress.
    I don't understand what your point is behind this statement.... Could you expand upon it please.

    Here's the major problem with your creature: Your slam attacks are just too weak. A Medium creature with powerful build should have the same slam attack as a Large zombie (1d8). Your two 1d4 slams are just too puny in relation to other creatures.
    Before you wrote your post I had already increased it to 1d6 for each slam, so this section is partially redundant. Also he isn't a large creature so it shouldn't be 1d8.

    Giving it a blade attack at 1d4 in addition to the 2 slams that do 1d4 each doesn't really help it.
    Since he can only have either a Slam or a Blade it now has only a single slam.

    I can show you this mathematically.

    If you gave your crystal warrior 2 slam attacks at 1d8 each, it gives you an average of 9 hit points of damage. 3 attacks at 1d4 each gives you just 7 hit points of damage on average. 2x4.5=9. 3x2.5=7.5 (and since you round down it's 7).

    You are better off losing the blade and just giving it appropriate slams for both its size and for powerful build.
    Why do you think powerful build changes its amount of damage for natural attacks? It says this:
    The physical stature of Aegis lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an Aegis is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Aegis is treated as one size large if doing so is advantageous to the character. An Aegis is also considered to be one size larger when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. An Aegis can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, the space and reach of an Aegis remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
    Not once did it mention natural attacks. Also with him having only one natural attack now his average damage is now 3.5, which rounds down to 3.

    It all boils down to the numbers. However, let me just say that giving it powerful build with hamstrung attacks is just poor design.
    I would say is more balancing that poor design.

    ONE MORE THING
    Aegis is a terrible name for these. The aegis was a shield in Greek mythology belonging to Athena (and sometime Zeus) that was made by the cyclopes in Hephaestus's forge. It was covered in goatskin and adorned with an image of Medusa. The name suggests nothing crystalline about these creatures.

    Debby
    It was more based on the more modern concept of doing something "under someone's aegis" means doing something under the protection of a powerful source. Also it was orginally made gold when I was writing it, but I didn't like the feel of it so I made it crystal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    What Debby said covered my natural attack question. I assumed that it had 2 arms, and each one was used as a natural attack, plus the main arm had a blade attachment. Warforged feats are in Races Of Eberron (IIRC).
    I saddly don't have any Eberron books.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mithril Leaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Since Ur-Priest hasn't come to suggest it, I'll just recommend you read his Monstrous Handbook, I recall it covering various things that relate to this race.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928

    Edit:
    He also said to check out Solo and Keld's guide to natural weapons, so here's that too:
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...?topic=10994.0
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2012-04-21 at 03:48 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debihuman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I haven't read that before. Thanks for telling me. But based off this I can only have one slam or one blade attack based on it being only medium size
    I had to actually look at the errata for this one. It appears that Powerful Build does not apply to natural weapons (though it does apply to manufactured ones). I was mistaken on that point since I only had the half-giant as an example.

    How is it impossible to tell what it is supposed to look like. If not mentioned otherwise it is expected that a race has two arms and two legs. Which is why it doesn't say how many limbs a elf or a dwarf have. It even said that it makes use of one of its already existing arms for the crystal blade.
    Unless you state that has a humanoid form, it doesn't necessarily have one. Humanoids such as elves, dwarves, and humans automatically have that form but you have to state it for Constructs otherwise it could look like a chair for all anyone knows.

    I was under the impression that these Variant Racial Traits were in addition to its normal traits as it makes no mention of replacing abilities or removing them. As such I treat these traits and the ones in the RotD as if they were one entity. Also Slight Build and Powerful Build have no effect on natural weapons by RAW.
    ]

    If you use the variant traits, then they are in addition. However, you should have mentioned that and cited the source. The RAW doesn't mention natural weapons at all, hence the confusion. I had to check the errata where it does state the following:

    Does the powerful build racial trait change the damage
    the character deals with unarmed strikes and natural
    weapons?

    No. The powerful build racial trait allows the character to
    “use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without
    penalty” but doesn’t say anything about changing the damage
    dealt by his unarmed strikes or natural weapons.

    Where does it say that Powerful Build affects Natural Attacks.
    It doesn't state it all one way or the other. These gray areas can go either way until a definitive answer can be found. As I just mentioned, only in the errata does it explicitly state that Power Build does not effect natural attacks.


    They don't lose their ability to do a slam attack, they don't turn a slam attack into a blade. They had 2 slams and a blade.
    This has since been resolved.

    It takes less than a half a second. You can make the edges of your hand sharp, making it into a blade. If your hand was crystal it would be sharp. This is my way of allowing you to attack with your sharp hands.
    Technically, it would be a swift action. There are six types of actions: standard actions, move actions, full-round actions, free actions, swift actions, and immediate actions. It matters because you can take a swift action and still attack.

    It isn't like your holding a sword though. It is a blade, but not a sword. There a difference. But obviously we have different views on how it would work in battle. Here is what I image happening: You punch the enemy at hit his chest hurting him a bit then slash the opponent with the sharp edge of your hand. It is like a person attacking once, then attacking again. I don't see the problem with that.
    It may not be like holding a sword but changing from one weapon to another is usually a standard action and you cannot attack while doing that. However, as a swift action, you could. Again, this is now a moot point.

    I don't understand what your point is behind this statement.... Could you expand upon it please.
    My point was to prompt you to explain your attacks more fully. Everyone knows what a slam attack is. However, the blade attack was not clearly explained. Since you have removed the blade attack, this is moot.

    Before you wrote your post I had already increased it to 1d6 for each slam, so this section is partially redundant. Also he isn't a large creature so it shouldn't be 1d8.
    Again, this issue has been resolved.

    Since he can only have either a Slam or a Blade it now has only a single slam.
    It was kinda cool to have either or a blade. I agree that giving it a single slam probably makes more sense, I think I almost prefer to see how it would have looked with a blade too. Technically, you could have gone with slam or blade even as a full round.

    Why did you think powerful build changes its amount of damage for natural attacks?
    Because it didn't say it didn't.[/quote]

    I tend to be very forgiving about the application of rules. Unless/Until a rule says "don't," I always assume it can be done. It wasn't until I checked the errata on this that a definitive answer could be found. Lacking such an answer, it made sense to apply the benefits. The Rules Compendium didn't clarify it either since the only place it is mentioned is in a sidebar on page 116.

    I sadly don't have any Eberron books.
    That is really too bad because the warforged are quite cool. The Living Construct subtype actually comes from the Eberron Campaign Setting pg 23.

    (Regarding the creature's name) It was more based on the more modern concept of doing something "under someone's aegis" means doing something under the protection of a powerful source. Also it was originally made gold when I was writing it, but I didn't like the feel of it so I made it crystal.
    I'm still not a fan of the name. It could be worse though. You could have called them Swarovskis.

    Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either.

    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

    I've got a red pen and I'm not afraid to use it.

    my creations

    Thanks Gurgleflep for my new avatar!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Since Ur-Priest hasn't come to suggest it, I'll just recommend you read his Monstrous Handbook, I recall it covering various things that relate to this race.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928

    Edit:
    He also said to check out Solo and Keld's guide to natural weapons, so here's that too:
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...?topic=10994.0
    This isn't a monster race... What does it have to do with the Monstrous Handbook?

    Also I saddly can't access brilliantgameologists.com because of the horrid blocks on my computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Unless you state that has a humanoid form, it doesn't necessarily have one. Humanoids such as elves, dwarves, and humans automatically have that form but you have to state it for Constructs otherwise it could look like a chair for all anyone knows.
    I was under the impression that it is assumed that every race is humanoid unless otherwise stated. I've now added in that it is humanoid, to stop future confusion.

    If you use the variant traits, then they are in addition. However, you should have mentioned that and cited the source. The RAW doesn't mention natural weapons at all, hence the confusion.
    My apologies.

    Technically, it would be a swift action. There are six types of actions: standard actions, move actions, full-round actions, free actions, swift actions, and immediate actions. It matters because you can take a swift action and still attack.
    Your missing my point. It doesn't take an action. It is so fast that you can blink and miss it. There is no action.

    It may not be like holding a sword but changing from one weapon to another is usually a standard action and you cannot attack while doing that. However, as a swift action, you could. Again, this is now a moot point.
    It isn't changing from one weapon to another though. A slam uses the fist, the blade used the edges of your hand. You could have both ready at once.

    My point was to prompt you to explain your attacks more fully. Everyone knows what a slam attack is. However, the blade attack was not clearly explained. Since you have removed the blade attack, this is moot.
    I will try to explain it better with future natural weapons.

    It was kinda cool to have either or a blade. I agree that giving it a single slam probably makes more sense, I think I almost prefer to see how it would have looked with a blade too. Technically, you could have gone with slam or blade even as a full round.
    I prefer the idea of a Blade and Slam as well... I'll try and think of a good way to write it in, and actually state my intent properly this time.

    Because it didn't say it didn't.
    I tend to be very forgiving about the application of rules. Unless/Until a rule says "don't," I always assume it can be done. It wasn't until I checked the errata on this that a definitive answer could be found. Lacking such an answer, it made sense to apply the benefits. The Rules Compendium didn't clarify it either since the only place it is mentioned is in a sidebar on page 116.
    That line of thought has significant problems though; for example allowing psions to use powers while unconsious because it doesn't say they can't do it. But it does generally work, like allowing good amounts of water to harm fire elementals.

    That is really too bad because the warforged are quite cool. The Living Construct subtype actually comes from the Eberron Campaign Setting pg 23.
    I've saddly never had the opportunity to get an Eberron book.

    I'm still not a fan of the name. It could be worse though. You could have called them Swarovskis.
    I did think of changing it after reading about the greek myth behind it. But Aegis stuck with me in my mind and to me it would seem wrong to call them anything else.

    Also I was thinking of naming the LA+1 version Metis. Yet again it doesn't fit exactly but I can't think of a better name.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debihuman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    I think a crystalline creature that can have a blade the way you seem to be describing it is confusing. I'll let that go for argument's sake. However, the blade should not be able to be used while the creature is making a slam attack unless you make it a secondary attack.

    Natural Weapons: Aegis have a primary slam attack that deals 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus Strength bonus. Aegis may also form either of their hands into a blade-like weapon to use as a a secondary attack. This attack deals 1d6 points of piercing and slashing damage plus 1/2 Strength bonus. Aegis are physically strong and their blows deal out a large amount of force.

    Note: Secondary attacks are always secondary even if used as a primary attack. An aegis could choose to attack with just its blade and forgo attacking with a slam if it wanted to do less damage for example.

    What do you think of this?

    Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either.

    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

    I've got a red pen and I'm not afraid to use it.

    my creations

    Thanks Gurgleflep for my new avatar!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I think a crystalline creature that can have a blade the way you seem to be describing it is confusing. I'll let that go for argument's sake. However, the blade should not be able to be used while the creature is making a slam attack unless you make it a secondary attack.

    Natural Weapons: Aegis have a primary slam attack that deals 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus Strength bonus. Aegis may also form either of their hands into a blade-like weapon to use as a a secondary attack. This attack deals 1d6 points of piercing and slashing damage plus 1/2 Strength bonus. Aegis are physically strong and their blows deal out a large amount of force.

    Note: Secondary attacks are always secondary even if used as a primary attack. An aegis could choose to attack with just its blade and forgo attacking with a slam if it wanted to do less damage for example.

    What do you think of this?

    Debby
    Seems good but one thing, you realise the crystal blade was a secondary attack.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-04-21 at 06:46 PM.
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Warriors [3.5e Race]

    I have just added in the Metis Subrace of Aegis. I think I may of had a bit too much fun with it though...
    Currently Holds the Title of "Earl of Innocence"

    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

    Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Aruius.


    The List:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Post Number: 15
    1. Aedilred
    2. Arcanist
    3. Chen
    4. Glass Mouse
    5. rogueboy
    6. Serpentine
    7. Morgarion
    8. JustSomeGuy
    9. AtlanteanTroll
    10. Amidus Drexel
    11. Coidzor


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •