The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 121 to 141 of 141
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    My latin is a bit rusty, but I can't let that go unanswered.

    Let's see...

    "In domo sua R'liehae, mortuus Cthulhu somnians exspectat."

    I assumed R'lyeh was a first declination feminine (as if it was "R'lieha") and that "Cthulhu" was Cthulhu's nominative (sounds reasonnable).

    That's probably a little awkward, but I am confident it is correct.


    EDIT 1: I changed the "y" in R'lyeh to a "i" to keep the pronunciation alike. "y" in latin sounds like a french "u". I don't think there is that sound in english.

    EDIT 2: Another one because why not?



    What is a PbP?

    "Ordini. Coronae. Gloriae honorique."

    This is assuming you mean "honor" as a synonym of "glory", if you mean more as "virtous behaviour", "honestoque" would be more fitting.
    How would you transcribe Cthulhu into Latin? Catulu? Cetulus?
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How would you transcribe Cthulhu into Latin? Catulu? Cetulus?
    You could use of the other spellings: Tulu, Kutulu, Katulu, etc.

    It's apparently pronounced "Khlûl′-hloo" anyway, which is still wrong since humans can't prononce it correctly anyway.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-11-06 at 05:54 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    I'll ask for a (hopefully) simple one:

    Deus ex Machina is (roughly) 'God in the Machine'. What would be best for swapping 'God' for 'Insanity' in that phrase?
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    MoonCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    I'll ask for a (hopefully) simple one:

    Deus ex Machina is (roughly) 'God in the Machine'. What would be best for swapping 'God' for 'Insanity' in that phrase?
    I'd do vecordia or amentia ex machina.

    It's originally Attic Greek though, so you could always go old school (with the added benefit of alliteration) and say ἀπὸ μηχανῆς μανία.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Hello,
    I'm been an avid OOTS reader but so far I had nothing to say on the forums. But I was a bit bored waiting for a shop to open today and I stumbled upon this thread. I happen to be a latin linguist doing a PhD about some very specific language features in latin (won't bother you with that, I promise) and a background in archaeology and anthropology. More specifically, I spend an awful lot of time reading what ancient grammarians wrote about latin.

    I would be glad to translate or discuss some latin. Sorry for my English in advance, I'm french.

    To begin with, how latin speakers transcribed foreign words into latin is an interesting topic. All in all, there are three ways to do it:

    - the republican/"normal" way: they transcribed foreign words by altering them so they could be pronounced using only latin phonems and (roughly) latin grammar. For "Cthulhu", that would be something like "Tulu(us), Tului". That would also probably determinate the pronounciation in "vulgar" latin.

    - the classical/"pedantic" way: typically observed for greek words, the rule was to keep the greek pronounciation and even sometimes greek grammar. I'll be forced to compare with greek anyway so let's say Cthulhy would be treated like a greek word. So they wrote the words in the greek alphabet, or with a latin alphabet with small alterations (like C for K, removing the "h" etc). So it would be "Cthulhu" or "Ctulu". But the pronounciation varied depending on the reader's skill. For "Cthulhu" that would go from "Ctulhu" to "Kutulu". And sometimes they tried to sound greeker than the greek, so they would add greek-sounding parts, something like "Kthhhulhhhhu" just to show they could aspirate the h (while the actually erudite cultists in the room would try not laughing).

    - the late/medieval/"latin isn't my native language" way: this is especially true after the dilution of the western empire into "barbarian" successor states. There were still very knowledgeable people but most of the time, the problem was not to translate foreign words into latin, but to translate their own language into weird latin. That's when the writers started to use very fancy spellings because it looked better, and I fear we aren't safe from something like "Khthylys" because everything looks better with greek letters/rules. But they would still pronounce it right, because they were used to not pronounce latin as it is written.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Pseudo_Nym's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ♪♫♩

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Interesting thread!

    I've used 'Nec neca nec necare' as 'neither kill nor be killed' on occasion, and since we have some genuine expertise here I'd be grateful for correction or confirmation, as appropriate. It's a phrase I'd like to be confident in, and my own Latin is... rather rusty.

    Thanks greatly.

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ahyangyi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
    - the classical/"pedantic" way: typically observed for greek words, the rule was to keep the greek pronounciation and even sometimes greek grammar. I'll be forced to compare with greek anyway so let's say Cthulhy would be treated like a greek word. So they wrote the words in the greek alphabet, or with a latin alphabet with small alterations (like C for K, removing the "h" etc). So it would be "Cthulhu" or "Ctulu". But the pronounciation varied depending on the reader's skill. For "Cthulhu" that would go from "Ctulhu" to "Kutulu". And sometimes they tried to sound greeker than the greek, so they would add greek-sounding parts, something like "Kthhhulhhhhu" just to show they could aspirate the h (while the actually erudite cultists in the room would try not laughing).
    I think "Cthulhu" takes inspiration from the Greek word χθόνιος (as in some cults devoted to subterranean Greek deities). So maybe the Latin version would simply be Chthulu or Chtholu?

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Hey folks,

    Really hope this thread doesn't get locked for necroposting because I actually have a relevant question for it! I'm making a Titan Legion for Warhammer 40,000, which in case you don't know uses a lot of cod latin. I want to give each Titan (big stompy mecha) a latin name, and was hoping to have a human who speaks the language look over the names before I paint them on anything. So please let me know what the "correct" translations for the names below is - I just fiddled around in Google Translate until I got some sounds I liked, so please let me know how the words I selected are actually used, and any unfortunate connotations etc. Can I just put the words in whatever order, for a name?

    Warhounds
    (Small dog-like scout titans)
    Canis Caelestis (Celestial dog)
    Aetherus Catulus (sky cub)

    Reaver (Medium sized "ambush" titan)
    Sideralis Venandi (stellar hunter)

    Warlord (Big boss titan)
    Constellatia Divinatus (Divine constellation)

    In particular I vaguely remember something about Latin names being gendered by how they end - Flavius/Flavia, etc. Can you do that with ordinary words as well? (Divinatus to Divinata and so on). Would that imply the gender of the titan or it's crew to a latin speaker?
    - Avatar by LCP -

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Hey folks,

    Really hope this thread doesn't get locked for necroposting because I actually have a relevant question for it! I'm making a Titan Legion for Warhammer 40,000, which in case you don't know uses a lot of cod latin. I want to give each Titan (big stompy mecha) a latin name, and was hoping to have a human who speaks the language look over the names before I paint them on anything. So please let me know what the "correct" translations for the names below is - I just fiddled around in Google Translate until I got some sounds I liked, so please let me know how the words I selected are actually used, and any unfortunate connotations etc. Can I just put the words in whatever order, for a name?

    Warhounds
    (Small dog-like scout titans)
    Canis Caelestis (Celestial dog)
    Aetherus Catulus (sky cub)

    Reaver (Medium sized "ambush" titan)
    Sideralis Venandi (stellar hunter)

    Warlord (Big boss titan)
    Constellatia Divinatus (Divine constellation)

    In particular I vaguely remember something about Latin names being gendered by how they end - Flavius/Flavia, etc. Can you do that with ordinary words as well? (Divinatus to Divinata and so on). Would that imply the gender of the titan or it's crew to a latin speaker?
    First, Warhammer 40K does not bother with having actually correct latin. The Imperial guard "actual" name Astra Militarum(sic) is probablys supposed to translate to "Army of the stars" but actually means something like "star of the soldiers". So if you go beyond "whatever sounds cool on google translate" you are already putting in more effort than GW employees are.

    Second: each latin noun (both common and names) decline according to three things: gender (male, female or neutral and no there are no easy way to know which a given name is you just have to learn it by rote), number (singluar or plural) and case (function within the sentence, ie subject, object, etc). Each noun does so by following one of the five different possible declination (who may have some additional sub-declinations).
    Order is not important in a latin sentence, like at all (at least in written latin).

    Finally, unlike English, latin cannot just slap a noun to another and expect it to work as an epiteth like it was an adjective or something so your

    "Sky cub" would be "cub from the sky" so catulus coelo or coelo catulus (catulus is in the nominative case and coelus in the ablative)

    "Stellar hunter": stellis venator or venator stellis (again nominative venator and and ablative plural stella)

    "Divine constellation": constellatio divina or divina constellatio (divinus is an adjective so it just takes the gender, number and case (here female, singular and nominative) of constellatio.)
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-10 at 03:21 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    U.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    The cheese is old and moldy.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    I think "Cthulhu" takes inspiration from the Greek word χθόνιος (as in some cults devoted to subterranean Greek deities). So maybe the Latin version would simply be Chthulu or Chtholu?
    I just came across it and thought I might mention it, but Lovecraft's own Whisperer in Darkness has the name Kathulos coming up in a list of dark gods and/or things and that might as well be a Latinized spelling of Cthulhu.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Thumbs up Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    thats a better skill.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Phhase's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    X/Z 12,550,821

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Just clarify for me: "Manes ex Machina."
    It does mean ghost from the machine, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

    I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bohandas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    First, Warhammer 40K does not bother with having actually correct latin. The Imperial guard "actual" name Astra Militarum(sic) is probablys supposed to translate to "Army of the stars" but actually means something like "star of the soldiers". So if you go beyond "whatever sounds cool on google translate" you are already putting in more effort than GW employees are.
    Speaking of which, why is it that the pseudo-Latin language from WH40K is pretty much the only thing in the imperial faction that doesn't have a pseudo-Latin name? Instead of "High Gothic" shouldn't it be called "Fakeus Latinus" or something like that?

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Canis latinum.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    Just clarify for me: "Manes ex Machina."
    It does mean ghost from the machine, right?
    Sort of. There's several words for ghost. (Manes, Lares, Larvae, Lemures, Genii...) Manes are ancestral spirits that are neither really good or evil:

    Apuleius "says, indeed, that the souls of men are demons, and that men become Lares if they are good, Lemures or Larvae if they are bad, and Manes if it is uncertain whether they deserve well or ill... He also states that the blessed are called in Greek εὐδαίμονες [eudaimones], because they are good souls, that is to say, good demons, confirming his opinion that the souls of men are demons."

    — City of God, Book IX, Chapter 11[3]
    They have to be placated with sacrifice and ritual, though.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Hello.
    I need your help, how will be "special one" in Latin?

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarshall View Post
    Hello.
    I need your help, how will be "special one" in Latin?
    That depends on the context but specialis is probably the answer you are looking for.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  19. - Top - End - #139

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Hello!
    Help me please. How can i say "wise woman" on Latin?

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    Sapiens femina in the sense of ‘an adult (but not too old) female human who has wisdom’.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

    The Fullmetal Mod: Thread Necromancy is a forbidden art.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    The start is a pretty good starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Under my leadership, the Illuminati immediately emerged victorious.

    Extended Signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •