New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

Could you translate this for me?

"Be kind, and never stop learning."

Thank you in advance.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Esto pius [generosus, clemens], et numquam desine discere.
    Pius” is “kind” in the sense of “doing one’s duty by people.” “Generosus” would imply an inclination to be giving and forgiving, while “clemens” implies a calm, mild, pleasant temperament.

Don’t forget that Latin requires one to distinguish how many people are being addressed, and of what sex they are. If one were speaking to one female, the ending –us would have to be changed to –a, for instance. The translation above supposes one male is being addressed.
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-03-09 at 12:14 AM.
    “But he had not that supreme gift of the artist, the knowledge of when to stop.”

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder” in The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhaeuser View Post
    Esto pius [generosus, clemens], et numquam desine discere.
    Pius” is “kind” in the sense of “doing one’s duty by people.” “Generosus” would imply an inclination to be giving and forgiving, while “clemens” implies a calm, mild, pleasant temperament.

Don’t forget that Latin requires one to distinguish how many people are being addressed, and of what sex they are. If one were speaking to one female, the ending –us would have to be changed to –a, for instance. The translation above supposes one male is being addressed.
    Thank you. Quick question: what if I was a addressing a large group of mixed gender (like say, the entire planet)? What would it be then?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Just something i heard on TV today:

"We are really good at blowing stuff up, we are less good at knowing where the pieces will fall."

Blowing stuff up as in detonating, destroying, whatever exists in Latin. Pieces as in debris, remains.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Qwertyu63
    Estote pii [generosi, clementes], et numquam desinete discere.
    Masculine gender is always the “base” gender, assumed when one does not know how to or wish to specify.

Eldan
    Optimi displodendo rerum sumus, sed minus sciendo ubi reliqua cadent.
    This assumes that “really” is used as an intensifier to “good” (“really good”=“highly skilled”). If it is just used to mean “I assure you that we are at least somewhat good,” substitute vere [or certe] boni for optimi.
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-03-12 at 03:46 AM.
    “But he had not that supreme gift of the artist, the knowledge of when to stop.”

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder” in The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Here is a question, relating to comics. If a character is said to have powers of psychokinesis (kinesics being Latin . for "motion"), what would be the expression for someone exercising physical strength?

(Pyrokinesis would be the manipulation of fire.)

Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Those are both Greek.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

If you don't mind, could you translate any or all of the following:

"I want to be the very best, like no one ever was!"

"I honestly have no idea what I am doing."

"You do realize you're about to die, right?"

"So many dinosaurs, so little time!"

Thanks!
    I am everywhere.

There is no escape.

If I defeat enough of them, will I level up and evolve into a Golbat?

Almost forgot to thank Dirtytabs for this avatar!

Whoops!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Kevphil

Ψυχή (“soul”), κίνησις (“movement”), and πυρ (“fire”), as Eldan points out, are all Greek, for which the Latin would be anima, motio (or motus), and ignis. I am not quite sure whether you want a word meaning “physical strength” or a word meaning “someone who uses physical strength. Vis, vires, virtus, or robur convey forcefulness or hardihood; vir, fortis, heros, robustus, validus convey a “strong man.”

Wild Zubat
    Optimus profecto volo esse, sicut nemo umquam erat!

Vere non notionem habeo quod facio.

Nonne te moriturum esse intellegis?

Tam multa dinosauria, tam paulum tempus!

Someone else want to field the next batch of these? I am getting a little burnt out, myself.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

could ye translate this please?

"I wish wizards wasn't so idiotic..."
    :3
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Magos non tam fatuos fuisse volo.

It is a little hard to translate an ungrammatical sentence. I have “I desire wizards not to have been so foolish,” but that is rather overemphatic than ungrammatical. I suppose something like Bates non tam fatuos ghero, which very unsystematically incorporates elements of Oscan, might indicate something of the implied dialect.
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-03-21 at 07:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Vere non notionem habeo quod facio.
    I'd go with "nescio quod facio".. not literal, but it rolls of the tongue better..
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I’d go with “nescio quod facio”… not literal, but it rolls of the tongue better.
    To be clear, Dehro rightly implies that nescio(=“I don’t know”) is better Classical style than non notionem habeo(=“I hold no conception of”), which is horribly stilted in Latin; and that my translation was over-literal, which is quite true. There is some difference in English between “I don’t know” and “I have no idea,” a slight variation in meaning which it isn’t easy to express in Latin, and I was trying to bring that out, but I have to admit I didn’t do it very well. “Honestly” is also a hard word to translate well; I used vere(= “truly”), but I’m not sure that something like nescio quidam (“I don’t know, indeed…”) wouldn’t convey the flavor of your meaning more.

Yeah, I probably need to shut up for a while (=Mihi fortasse aliquamdiu tacendum est).
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-03-21 at 08:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

Could you please translate the following for me:

"Your lack of planning does not necessarily constitute an emergency on my part"

Basically, I am fed up with people expecting me to do things immediately because they had forgotten about it and now it's very urgent. I would like to voice my disapproval cryptically (most of them won't understand Latin - but it might make them think - I hope ).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

"Here comes Peter Cottontail hopping down the Bunny Trail"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not quite as snappy in Latin, is it? By the way, both "elf" and "dwarf" are cruxes in Latin; neither word has an exact equivalent. The usual gloss of Old English ælf is nympha, a word that is always feminine in meaning as in grammatical gender (when, indeed, ælf is not used to translate dæmon or diabolus). Latin nanus is never used to denote a supernatural being.
    Since Tolkien was referring to populations largely defined by language, you might want to follow the classical manner of referring to the barbarian tribes - "the people who call themselves Eledhrim" and "the people who call themselves Khazad", Romanizing their tribe names as usual.
    Last edited by TheYell; 2013-04-02 at 12:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

I got one:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Sam Vimes
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Huc uenit Petrus Gossypicaudatus, saliens super uia cuniculosa.

==================================================

...Quis custodiet ipsos
    custodes?
    —D. Iunius Iuuenalis,
    Satura VI

“I hear you well, my dear old friends, when you warn, ‘Lock the doors,
    And set up guards to watch her, for you know all wives are whores.’
    But what’s the use? Who’ll guard the guards? Your wife has made her plan,
    And it’s by shtupping all the guards you’d set that she began!”
    —Juvenal, The Sixth Satire
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-04-10 at 03:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Could you translate:

"Actions speak louder than words."

Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Facta clarius verbis loquuntur. However, the usual Latin proverb is Facta potentiora verbis [sunt], “Deeds are mightier than words.”

22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Facta clarius verbis loquuntur. However, the usual Latin proverb is Facta potentiora verbis [sunt], “Deeds are mightier than words.”
    I'll probably go with the traditional form, I'm intending to use this as sort of a motto. I'm not familiar with the bracket notation(or Latin for that matter, hence the asking). Should I include the [sunt] when writing it?

Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: I will translate anything into Latin.

Will (as in will power) is every thing

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all, I'm impressed. I took a few years of French in highschool, and then quit trying to learn foreign languages completely. Its one of the few things I've ever proven to be really, truely BAD at.
    I guess I'll just have to comfort myself with a full-mastery over the English American language :P
    Kevphil

Ψυχή (“soul”), κίνησις (“movement”), and πυρ (“fire”), as Eldan points out, are all Greek, for which the Latin would be anima, motio (or motus), and ignis. I am not quite sure whether you want a word meaning “physical strength” or a word meaning “someone who uses physical strength. Vis, vires, virtus, or robur convey forcefulness or hardihood; vir, fortis, heros, robustus, validus convey a “strong man.”
    Stuff like this always makes me think the same thing:
    Spoiler
    Show

But to stay on topic, I've actually been wondering about something like this myself. I'm sure the grammar or vocabulary probably doesn't fit perfectly, but if Telepathy deals with the mind, and Telekinesis deals with matter, what would be a decent catch-all term in the same vein for mental-powers involving energy (heat, electricity, etc)? If this is to far out of left field for you to deal with, don't worry about it; I was just curious. I've had lots of fun reading through the thread as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    "Here comes Peter Cottontail hopping down the Bunny Trail"
    And this seems like it's just being silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

I can answer Angrymudcrab fairly readily. The word in brackets is the verb “to be,” which is very often omitted in Latin. A common phrase such as Ars Longa, Vita Brevis* or Dux Femina Facti† contains no verbs at all, but is understood as incorporating the verb “to be.” You can stick in the verb: Ars est longa, vita est brevis; Femina est dux facti—but you don’t need to, and it is often considered better style, especially in “sentential” or mottoes, to be as short as possible. Brevitas sapientiæ anima [est].‡

Basically, you can leave “sunt” in or take it out, and the sentence will mean the same thing.

Argonaut333, a literal translation would be “voluntas est omnia”—but I very much doubt the Romans would have used the abstract noun, or that they would have used “everything” to mean “the essential, crucial aspect.” I think they would have read the above sentence as some sort of philosophical idea that there was no actual material existence and that the cosmos consisted of one gigantic Will (an idea that I doubt they would have found attractive). Almost certainly they would have used an infinitive as subject, so “velle est omnia” is possible, but I suspect incomprehensible to most Romans. Perhaps “velle est supremum” or “velle est summum” gets closer to the meaning you wish to convey; but I imagine that the most Roman of all would be the old proverb, “velle est posse” — “To will is to be able.”

Deepbluediver, though, heh, in general I support the principle of keeping linguistic elements separate in combined forms, the funny thing is, native Latin speakers themselves did it occasionally (viz, bigamia, from Latin bis, “twice,” Greek γάμος, “marriage”), so it is sometimes just a little bit pedantic to insist on keeping the word elements separate, especially in regard to words long established in English. I doubt we will be insisting on “autokinetos” or “semobiles” any time soon.

I imagine that since “energy” itself is a Greek word, the simplest formation would simply be τηλένέργεια, telenergia, “telenergy.”

==================================================

* “Art long, life short”—i.e., “Art is long, life is short,” or even more fully, “A normal lifespan does not give one enough time to master a particular craft and have time left over to produce perfect work.”
    † “Guide Woman of a Deed”—“Woman is the Guide to Deeds,” or “If you look behind any action that a man has taken, you will usually find that some woman inspired it.”
    ‡ “Brevity [is] the soul of wit.”
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-04-12 at 09:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Please check for me that this little stanza is grammatically correct. Yes, I wrote it using Google Translate. I kept it real simple just so I can avoid mistakes.
    In my comic, it's carved on a tombstone:

Ad regina mea
    Gladius meus
    Amor mea
    Ad vitam aeternam

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Ad regina mea
    Gladius meus
    Amor mea
    Ad vitam æternam
    I am afraid it is grammatically incorrect, but I cannot quite tell you how to correct it without knowing what you intend to say. As it stands, it says approximately, “My queen, my sword, toward, Love, my things, toward eternal life.” If, as I guess, you mean something like, “To my queen, my sword, my love forever,” it would be,

Reginæ meæ
    Gladius meus
    Amorque meus
    Semper

or something of that ilk. (Very Rupert of Hentzau!)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

My favorite summoning chant:
    Sunt formicae in meis bracis! (It says exactly what you probably think it says)
    Mostly as a grammar check, since I learned it back in high school and am probably misremembering something.

As for an actual translation request,

"The wheels of fate are turning." (Which I fully confess is from BlazBlue)

I'd guess it would use sors (sortium?) rather than fortuna (fortunarum), but beyond that...
    Last edited by Ravanan; 2013-04-14 at 09:18 PM.
    Avatar by Prime32. Seriously, his stuff is awesome.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

For the first, I’ve always seen braccæ or bracchæ, with two “c”’s; otherwise, as far as I can tell, your antsy trousers seem well-fitting to me.

For the second, literally, Rotæ fati volvunt—but the question is complicated.

Sors is “fortune, chance,” but only by extension. Its basic meaning is “a small marked object”—anything from a stone to a die to a ticket, but especially a little wooden counter rather like a Scrabble tile, drawn or cast for the purpose of randomly determining some outcome. I cannot seem to trace the use of any sort of wheel in connection with the use of the sortes.

The basic meaning of fatum is “the thing which has been spoken” (much as some people still say things like “you have to take what’s been written”). Naturally, since people generally have more than one thing that happens in their lives, some people started speaking of “things spoken” or fata.

However, since the neuter plural ending is identical to a feminine singular ending, some people took fata as “a Fate, a female being determining what happens.” In this form it was first given a feminine plural fatæ, and then identified with the Greek Μοῖραι (“the apportioners”) or, as the Romans called them, the Parcæ (“the women who spare(?)”),* the female beings who spun the destinies of men. Meanwhile, the allegorical figure Fortuna (>fors, “chance”), because of her uncertainty, was already imagined as balancing unsteadily on a ball. Perhaps the turning spindle was confused with the spinning ball and encouraged the conflation of all these female figures imagined as influencing events. In any case, the ball of Fortune had become a wheel, and rota Fortunæ a cliché, even by Classical times.

But wait—there’s more. The wheel doesn’t just “turn” (volvit) by itself; it is turned by Fortune. So the expression is most commonly found in the form, Fortunæ rota volvitur.† And that’s the form I would recommend.

* If this is the derivation, the name was presumably a euphemism.

†…as in the Carmina Burana. By the way, if you find this as Fortune rota uoluitur, remember that the Middle Ages generally substituted “e” for the Classical diphthongs “æ” and “œ” (and pronounced them both like English long “a”) and that in Classical Latin no distinction was made between “i” as a vowel and “i” as a consonant (pronounced like English “y”) or between “v” as a vowel (pronounced like English “u”) and “v” as a consonant (pronounced like English “w” in Classical Latin and like English “v” in mediæval Latin). Classical Latin had only capital letters, by the way. SIC FORTVNÆ ROTA VOLVITVR. (It didn't have italics, either.)
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2013-04-15 at 04:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

*completely forgot about fatum*

That's actually a fair bit of interesting information. *stores it away in mental rolodex of randomness*

Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, "And now I know."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "And knowing is half the battle! G.I.JOOOOOOOE!"

Thank you kindly!
    Avatar by Prime32. Seriously, his stuff is awesome.