New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Shadowrun 4E: Ghost Cartels, Chapter 1: A Stranger in our House

<Tabby, that'll be fine. I'll catch up with the team.>

<To All:I'm the new stealth support for the job. Care to bring me up to speed?>

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Sparks

Stuck observing Firebird's apartment, Sparks punches keys on his hopelessly antiquated comlink.

<We're on stakeout for this guy [pic]; here's the address. Try not to make yourself obvious when you show up. Right now we're just looking for anything out of the ordinary to report back to Ms. J #Sparks>
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nova is disconnected from the node and tries to log in again, while her sprite and the IC continue to attack each other. The combat on the commlinks node continues for a few more seconds until it is abrubtly ended by the node beeing shut down manually, and to Novas frustration it seems to stay offline for now.

Nova analyses what little she saw in the node and finds one small interesting detail: Not only is the commlink obviously much more secure than one would expect from an average gang-lieutenant, the programs running, including the IC are suprisingly NOT pirated software but were bought legally.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

<Roger, I'll be there.>

Karvusta packed up his gear and gunned the throttle, speeding off into the seattle night towards the stakeout.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

After taking a moment to decompress after her spectacular failure, Nova spends a few moments thinking about what to do. Eventually she pulls up an AR screen and fires off a quick message to the rest of the team:

<Hey Chums, something's not right about this guy; his commlink was way too secure. I don't think he'll be able to trace anything back to me but be especially careful when following him. More likely than not he knows someone's investigating him. Maybe he'll slip up and I can find something through the safehouse node. Until then, keep on your toes.>

With the message sent, she wanders into the living room where Onyx's projection is lounging on a bed of virtual grass. Sitting down next to the whimsical creature, she drops into full VR, relishing in the feel of the breeze on her face as she tries to put the pieces together.

Spoiler
    Show

Nova's going to rest for an hour, hopefully healing some more stun damage, and then investigate the safehouse node more thoroughly.
    Body+Willpower - (7d6)[2][4][1][6][1][2][4](20) - 1 hit (5S>4S)

Threading Stealth(5>>8)
    Fading - (14d6)[4][3][4][4][3][3][5][6][1][4][2][6][2][2](49) - 3 hits (3P>0)

Then logging into the hidden account. Is there something akin to 'taking 20' in the shadowrun universe? Or do I actually have to make Matrix Perception checks until I roll an absurd amount of successes? In any case, I want to make sure there are no hidden or otherwise encrypted files or nodes on or connected to the safehouse node, and then Data Search for anything related to Tempo, either of the Lieutenants, or Caine.

4 (Data Search) + 3 (Browse) + 2 (Hotsim) - 2 (Threading Stealth)
    Data Search - (7d6)[4][3][4][3][3][1][3](21)
    Data Search - (6d6)[4][1][4][1][6][2](18)
    Data Search - (5d6)[1][2][2][5][3](13)
    Data Search - (4d6)[4][5][6][2](17)
    -4 hits

Data Search - (7d6)[6][1][6][3][4][6][5](31)
    Data Search - (6d6)[5][3][1][2][4][4](19)
    Data Search - (5d6)[5][4][3][1][5](18)
    Data Search - (4d6)[1][1][1][6](9)
    - 8 hits (1 glitch)

Data Search - (7d6)[3][2][5][4][5][1][3](23)
    Data Search - (6d6)[2][4][1][5][6][6](24)
    Data Search - (5d6)[3][5][1][4][1](14)
    Data Search - (4d6)[1][2][2][3](8)
    - 6 hits

Data Search - (7d6)[1][3][1][5][6][1][1](18)
    Data Search - (6d6)[4][2][3][5][3][5](22)
    Data Search - (5d6)[2][4][5][6][5](22)
    Data Search - (4d6)[4][5][1][1](11)
    - 8 hits (2 glitches)

Data Search - (7d6)[4][5][2][3][3][2][4](23)
    Data Search - (6d6)[4][1][2][4][1][3](15)
    Data Search - (5d6)[2][1][2][5][5](15)
    Data Search - (4d6)[5][5][2][2](14)
    - 5 hits
    (The above represents 30 seconds of searching. Nova has nothing better to do and so will continue searching non-stop until she finds something or an alert is triggered.)
    Last edited by Karthas077; 2012-06-22 at 09:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

<Roger that, will proceed with caution.
    #Gears>

High security means something to hide, yes? He'll probably wise up on hacking, hopefully he'll forget about other kinds of surveillance. Time for a ride, and it looks like it'll be a fun one.- he muses to himself.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

7. - Top - End - #127

AssassinGuy

Karvusta arrives at the stakeout where he meets Gears, Sparks and Kitaru. Everything is silent for now as you can safely assume that Xa Firebird is not at home right now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nova had tracked his commlink to the nightclub Dantes Inferno, even though she didnt get in.

Anything special you want to do, or just wait for him to get back home and then general surveilance? Again, I would like some more medium term actions, as I plan to do another fast forward soon, unless you want to do something else.
    For general surveilance I´ll need a shadowing check, this time probably from Karvusta

Nova finds the node of the safehouse relatively uninteresting. Apperantly there are no business informations stored there. She has access to a handful of cameras, maglocks and cleaning drones that are slaved to it, so she could use them to spy inside the house, but otherwise the node is pretty empty.

8. - Top - End - #128

AssassinGuy

Your team shadows Xa Firebird for 4 days.
    Nova tried to keep a check on his commlink, but he seems to keep it turned of most of the time, only activating it for short moments at a time to check his messages. Instead she managed to hack carefully into his vehicle, an entertainment systems cyclops monocycle, which helps at least partly to keep following him.

Sparks stays on the lookout for awakened security or individuals but fails to find either. Assensing Xa reveals that he has moderate cyberware augmentation, mostly headware as well as some interesting natural resistance to magic (magic resistance positive quality).

Xa Firebird seems to be a creature of habit with a very regular timetable. He spends evenings and nights dealing in clubs and university campus parties and overseeing his underlings. In the afternoon he spends most of the time in the safehouse. As far as you can tell he does not use tempo himself.

At noon on the fifth day, he breaks his routine when instead of driving to his safehouse as usual, he makes his way to a cheap motel in Tacoma where he directly moves to a room and enters.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears notes Xa's break of his routine, concluding that it must be something big going on. Someone with that tight schedule doesn't simply change his usual routine for no reason.

<Finally something promising. Shall we go in as well? I could pass my microdrone from under the door and be able to stay hidden, I think. Probably our best shot. What do you all think?
    Gears>

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Sparks
    "Go for it," Sparks says, still scanning the Astral. Let me know how many are inside.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Sparks
    "Go for it," Sparks says, still scanning the Astral, "let me know how many are inside."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-06-27 at 09:26 PM.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #132

WolfInSheepsClothing

I agree, this looks interesting. I could try to summon a spirit to look, but I think your drone would be safer. I'm not very good at summoning, and I worry all this tempo around someone would see my spirit.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

<I'd just need a way to know which room he is, or I'll waste a lot of time looking for him. Any ideas? I'm heading there right now.
    Gears>

Gears (and whomever wants a ride with him) will head out to the motel Xa is.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2012-06-28 at 05:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

WolfInSheepsClothing

"<<As a guess, I think he is in the room we saw him enter. :-P >>" Kitaru messages back with a grin. <<I'll see if I can get us a room.>>

Kitaru walks to the front desk of the motel. Looking as bashful as she can she asks the manager, Excuse me, me and my uhh ... my boyfriend would like a room. We were hoping for something on the second floor looking over the pool if you have anything free in that area by any chance.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know where Xa's room is, but I'm trying to describe the area where his room is and ask for a room there.
    --Will S.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears'll stay behind and wait for Kitaru to get a room.

16. - Top - End - #136

AssassinGuy

The manager, a sleazy old ork smiles while showing his bad teeth to Kitaru.
    "Sure thing gorgeous. You need the night or do you want the hourly rate?"

The room she gets is adjacent to the room Xa Firebird entered. After she arrives there, she can hear noises through the thin walls of two people vigorously having sex.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I assume the sounds are coming from Xa's side?))

Gears sets up his drone at the door, and lies on the bed, ready to enter Hot VR, sending a message for the others.

<It doesn't sound like the sort of meeting we expected. Will investigate anyway, in case it's a subvrsion or just to see who he's with. Even if it's nothing important, tailing the girl could be usefull, if this is not a one time thing.

Gears>

Right after sending the message he conects his consciousness with the microdrone, his flesh body an afterthough now rests on the bed while his mind is in a world of giants. Glancing around to warm up, the drone darts under the door and heads to Xa's room, taking pictures of anything he finds usefull.

Spoiler
    Show
    Infiltration roll (Response [+4] + Infiltration [+2] + Handling [+1] + Control Rig [+2] + Hot VR [+2] = 11DP, plus the opposing check gets a penalty for the micro size)
    Roll: (11d6)[4][1][5][4][3][4][4][2][6][1][1](35)

Edit: Two measly hits.
    At least they get a good penalty, expecially if they're not paying attention.

Edit 2: Of course, the drone was already in hidden mode. Plus, I was just wondering, would it have been possible for my Thermographic Vision to pick something through the thin walls? I assume that's a long shot (and it's probably too late now to check it), but I'd like to be sure.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2012-07-02 at 10:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Sparks
    While Gears is distracted, Sparks meanders about a bit (50' or so), keeping an eye on the surrounding area, in case this turns out to be some kind of setup.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #139

AssassinGuy

While the drone doesnt fit under the door, Gears manages to get it into the room through an airvent. From there he sees Xa Firebird enjoying himself with a blonde human woman in her 30-ies.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Blushing at the unexpected situation Nova finds their team in, Nova clears her through a moment and attempts to calm herself before sending a message to Gears' comm.

<If you can grab a pic of that girl's face I'll see if I can figure out who she is. Might have to... requisition some facial recognition software but it could be worth it.>

Spoiler
    Show

As I don't have the time in-game to connect to a VPN to try to get myself some illegal facial recognition software, how long would it take to purchase the rating 1 program and get enough of an access to the database to thread a higher-rating one?

I'm sure the time to purchase one is almost negligible, and just requires a test on my Fake SIN, but the latter task is a bit more abstract. Since I already have access to the server through my commlink because of the low rating program, the real question is does a higher-rating program use a different database? or is it the same database with a more complex algorithm?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

<Well, it is just like it sounded like. Will try to do that, Nova, then stay back and see if I can hear the woman's name or some other worthwhile comment.
    Gears>

Gears tries to stay out of view and carefully try and take the picture of the girl's face or other marking feature, like a tattoo, sending it to the others. He then heads to the airvent again, where he hides and waits to see what happens next.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to roll something to take the picture?

22. - Top - End - #142

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I might try to follow her when they are ... finished, see if she is anyone interesting."
    --Will S.

23. - Top - End - #143

AssassinGuy

Gears manages to get a few good pictures and sends them to Nova for face recognition.

After the couple is finished, they talk for a while quietly so that Gears only manages to understand only a couple of words of the conversation: "progress" and "careful" from her, "hacker", "trust", "opportunity" and "supply" from him.

After a quick shower Xa leaves the room 45 minutes after he entered it and the woman leaves 5 minutes later. She gets in a Honda Spirit in the parking lot and drives of.

24. - Top - End - #144

WolfInSheepsClothing

As the mysterious woman leaves, Kitaru watches her astrally, hoping to see whether she is awakened. She quickly talks to the helpful kami around, "Greetings spirits of the city, I have another small favor to ask you. Could you follow that woman and tell me where she is going? I would be best if you are unseen when following her."

Spoiler
    Show

Since it turns out I don't have shadowing, I guess I shouldn't be following her by myself. If she turns out to be awakened or there are astral defenses then ignore the spirit summoning bit. Oh, and I'm just summoning a watcher spirit.

I really wish I had more points in Summoning...

Assensing+Intution=1+5 (6d6)[6][4][4][3][5][1](23)
    Summoning+Magic=2+3 (5d6)[1][4][6][6][1](18)

--Will S.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

<It seems she's involved in the gang's bussiness' as well. Should we continue as we were doing before for now?

@Nova: I'm sending the images to everyone. Let us know if you get anything.
    Is Xa heading home?
    Gears>

The drone leaves right after the woman does and returns to the rented room. He logs off as soon as the drone gets to the room, then carefully sits on the bed, a little disoriented by the change of scale, while the microdrone's dog brain takes it to his lap, where he picks it up.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Sparks
    Sparks tries to assense the woman as she leaves, so he can find her later if need be.
    "We should track her if we can," Sparks whispers, "It sounds like he tipped her off about his comlink being hacked, and she's definitely involved somehow."
    "Anyone have any way of hacking or tracking her car?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    assensing: (7d6)[3][6][2][2][4][6][1](24)
    Edit: 2 hits
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-07-05 at 08:04 AM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #147

AssassinGuy

Kitaru and Sparks assen the woman and find no magical ability and moderate headware augmentation in her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything else? Does Nova want to hack the car?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show

As far as I was aware, I couldn't actually hack the car without being close enough to interact with it personally through a wireless connection, but if that is in fact NOT the case, then yes Nova would of course hack it, it's gps/navigation, etc.

Honestly no clue what to roll here though as this wasn't something I was aware I could do... Do I need to find the car through the net first? I would assume that would entail connecting to the motel's node and then making a search for nearby nodes, followed by the normal rules for hacking on the fly?

29. - Top - End - #149

AssassinGuy

Nova easily hacks the car and manages to follow the womans movements for now. She also finds that the car is registered to a company which, as she quickly notices is only a shell corporation. She is confident that she would be able to find the real owners behind the shell corporation, but it would take time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Datasearch + Browse extended Test, 1 hour interval, threshhold 8

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

<If you guys wanna keep an eye on our mystery woman, I'll leave that up to you. I have my work cut out for me so I'll be checking in every couple of hours or so. I'm gonna see if I can get any more info on who this woman is or who she works for.
    -Nova>

Spoiler
    Show

I'll do the car first as that seems a more solid lead and something Nova is more familiar with doing. At some point I'll still need to hack a facial recognition database or something but not immediately.

Thread Browse (3>>5)
    Fading - (14d6)[4][2][3][4][4][6][6][5][1][1][5][1][3][3](48) - 4 hits (2>0)

Pretty sure I still have 4 or 5 points of stun damage so:
    4 (Data Search) + 5 (Browse) + 2 (Hotsim) - 1 (Damage)
    Hour 1 - (10d6)[3][4][2][1][3][5][4][3][2][6](33) - 2 hits
    Hour 2 - (9d6)[4][2][6][2][1][4][4][5][3](31) - 2 hits (4 total)
    Hour 3 - (8d6)[5][5][5][3][3][1][3][5](30) - 4 hits (8 total)
    Hour 4 - (7d6)[6][4][5][1][6][2][1](25) - 3 hits
    Hour 5 - (6d6)[6][6][5][3][1][1](22) - 3 hits
    Hour 6 - (5d6)[3][1][1][2][2](9) - 0 hits

As I mentioned, every hour Nova checks in with the team, if anything important has happened she'll stop her work to handle it, otherwise the above rolls represents the rest of her work for the day (most likely. I don't know what time of day it is right now XP)
    Last edited by Karthas077; 2012-07-21 at 01:02 PM.