New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The White Room

1. - Top - End - #511
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The White Room

Ulrik, you find nothing special around the rocks or in the general area aside from the various poisonous plants that overwhelm this forest.

Aalem follows you, Ignus, as you edge around the trees, listening keenly for anyone else who might approach.

Ignus, you'll see a door on the northeastern side of the chamber. The door is wide open. The room is well-lit and has a set of two bunk beds, enough to fit four people. There is a nice meal laid out on a small table pressed against the far wall. Something is carved into that wall but you cannot make it out from here.

Aalem whispers in Ignus' ear, in Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm quite certain that I hear around two to three others approaching from the east. They must be after this chamber as well... how would you like to handle this?
    Last edited by DuSlaanesh; 2012-08-08 at 08:16 PM.
    From my bottom to my top!
    Loving those who love me back!
    Hop hop hippity, hippity hop!
    All day long for this rabbit in black!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Replying in Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good ears, but if you can hear them we haven't much time. We should lay claim to the chamber first, and defend it from within, preferably with some element of surprise. I'll head in first. Go around and get Ulrik, just in case it's a trap of some sort: do not enter the chamber until you have him with you and you can see I haven't exploded or something.
    *Ignus quietly makes a motion to his mouth as if he's talking into his hand, then touches the ears or himself, Kwaiit, and Aalem.
    I've just cast a message spell, you, Kwaiit, and I will be able to carry on a whispered conversation from short ranges, but Ulrik will be absent from this one. If you can't enter without being seen, tell me. Now go.

Kwaiit, I'll want a signal. Hide yourself within the treetops, and be sure to face the clearing lest one of them actually be perceptive enough to notice your dragon's beak or eyes. I want to know approximately when they break the treeline, and if they have weapons drawn. You won't be able to hear me should battle break out, but if at any time you think you've a safe tactical advantage, swoop in and breathe some fire.(DM, see second spoiler). Hurry, and stay safe.

After giving my instructions and Kwaiit has departed, I run into the room, pausing only at the door to make sure nobody's living inside right then. assuming not, I move in, Keeping out of the sightlines from the east if the doors permit it. I look for doors and the directions they lead, and any obvious weapons, and also gauge the size of the room.

A note on Kwaiit's fire breath:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a 1/hour breath weapon, 2d6/class level of mine(so, in this encounter, 6d6 damage). 15 ft cone, DC 10 + 1/2 class level(12 this encounter). Reflex saves allowed for half. This was gained as part of the alternate class feature for a draconic familiar, instead of being able to deliver certain spells for me. For instance, in this situation, had he been normal, he could instead have taken Ulrik's membership of the message spell over to him.

Again, Kwaiit's intelligence is only 7, and he's still a bird, and I as a player have chosen not to specifically have direct control, so it's perfectly acceptable if he doesn't exactly pick the perfect opportunity to intervene.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

3. - Top - End - #513
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i walk through the door and assuming i see the same thing i say "i think it might be prudent if we avoid eating that." with a gesture towards the food

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

Ignus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get a signal from Kwaiit, they have broken the treeline and their weapons are drawn.

All of you hear a loud static crackling and see a bright burst of light, also hearing a scream from outside.

Ignus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aalem sends you a whispered message: "A sphere on the room shot lightning and completely fried one of the assailants in one shot. The others fled into the woods. Should we pursue them?"

5. - Top - End - #515
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i instantly spin around and bring my axe up to the ready position grinning savagely. "sounds as if we've finally fond some company."
    also i ready an action to use my breath weapon on anyone who i have reasonable reason to assume is going to attack us. if they dont do anything overtly threatening or hostile i dont do it
    Last edited by lothbrok; 2012-08-08 at 09:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516

DrowGuy

Rather than readying for combat, Ignus simply whispers a few unintelligible words.
    Draconinc whispering:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kwaiit, follow them a short direction. if they look like they're continuing to run far, turn back and tell me when you can. Aalem, don't try to cross the no man's land, give us a bit to see if we can figure out why that didn't happen to us. Stay near Kwaiit so you and he can speak, but try not to engage and retreat this way if you have to.

Ignus relaxes, and says, "Relax a bit. I've a warning system set up already. there were some intruders, But before they got here this room shot one with lightning. I suggest you stay in here for a few minutes while I try to figure out what's going on."

I turn my attention to the room, looking at it in more detail.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

with a frown i lower my axe and grumbling slightly stand in such a way that i might be able to look out of the room without leaving it or exposing myself to much

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

Aalem enters the room, holding a handful of ash in one hand and a morningstar in the other.

In draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, here he was, and here's his weapon. This place seems like the perfect shelter, if it'll do that to approaching targets...

9. - Top - End - #519
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i take a look at the morningstar and grin "my friend, i cant imagine you would have much use for that. how about i relieve you of the burden?" i say to Aalem

10. - Top - End - #520

DrowGuy

"Ulrik, check the doors, see if we can seal them without locking ourselves in."
    I myself look at the carving on the wall with greater interest.

Also, just to be sure we've hit it all, the room contains 4 beds, this carving, a table, and some food. Are we missing anything?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i check the doors

"ignus my friend, what is to stop the same fate that befell our...friend there (gesturing at he ash) from likewise befalling us?"

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

Aalem, in Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Considering that the lightning did not strike me, but our approaching enemies, I don't think we have to worry about it, but I don't like the idea of letting someone else get to this chamber while in the clearing. That half-orc looked quite strong when he was killed. I don't need mere weaponry to kill who I need to, so feel free to take it, odd dragonoid. I'm going to step outside for a moment.

Aalem hands Ulrik the morningstar, then moves outside. Neither of you can see him any longer.

Ignus, the intricately carved text says, in common: "A small reprieve". The room contains the beds, carving, table, and food, but nothing else. Looking up, you see the light source: a sealed jar containing some kind of fluttering creature that is emitting light is dangling by a chain from the ceiling. The jar has small air holes at the top. Noise appears to be coming from the jar but it is too faint to hear.

Ulrik, the doors you examine are on sturdy metal hinges and are able to be shut, but not able to be locked.

13. - Top - End - #523

DrowGuy

"hmmm. My guess is that the lightning strikes those the occupants of the room recognize as enemies. One of us should stay in here at all times, I think.

The food and beds should be safe. These guys are less than scrupulous, but from what I've seen they've played things pretty straight thus far. We should ascertain whether those others are going to make an immediate problem of themselves and, if not, spend the night here."

14. - Top - End - #524

DrowGuy

Sorry for double post, but I didn't realize until now that nobody actually posted an action. I'll check in with Kwaiit, asking for updates on the targets. If he doesn't respond, I'll assume he's out of range and instruct Ulrik to stay back and defend the room, then move out and try to reestablish contact.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

Ignus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kwaiit responds, letting you know that the targets currently remain 80 feet to the south of the room... one of them has just left, towards the south where the mountains lie. The other seems to be intently watching the clearing.

Aalem, in Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the blue rooms act as a shelter, with defenses... I have encountered a red chamber before, it had contained a massive supply of trail rations... I wonder what's in the brown and gold ones? Still, I suppose more pressing matters are at hand... we'll have to leave this room eventually, now that at least a few of our targets know that it's dangerous...
    Last edited by DuSlaanesh; 2012-08-15 at 09:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526

DrowGuy

Draconic reply:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a curiosity we'll have to sate at the hands of others, I'm afraid. For now, we carry out our own goals: search and destroy. we've got one alone, we hit him now. Stay behind us, and keep one eye out for anyone trying to make a run for the room: we don't want hostile elements inside, lest we get hit with the defense mechanism. Kwaiit, I know you can hear this. Be prepared to lead off our attack with some fire, then get yourself to safety in the trees again.

"Alright Ulrik, let's see what what we can do. We have one enemy target, about a hundred feet to the south, a bit beyond the treeline. As you move to the edge of the clearing, don't worry if you can't see him, his location will be obvious in short order. Have your axe ready, but don't just run in until you see fire. We want him to die, not retreat, and that'll work better if you let him think you want to talk but are just being cautious until you get closer. Go."

With that, going on the assumption that Ulrik follows these orders, I'll follow a few feet behind him and off to his left as we approach the treeline. I cast no spells.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"finally a foe to taste my steel!" i rush off quickly but not heedlessly in the aforementioned direction making sure ignus is in atleast decent supporting distance.

DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    as soon as i come in view of the enemy istop 20 ft away point my axe at it shout "you -insert comment appropriate to species/race- be ye friend or foe? if friend advance and be recognized. if foe prepare to meet your ancestors by my hand. if he makes an overtly threatening gestures charge, magic hand wave, draws bow etc i use my breath weapon (30ft cone of sonic) otherwise i wait for ignus
    Last edited by lothbrok; 2012-08-15 at 08:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528

DrowGuy

Draconic to Aalem and Kwaiit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another shouty impatient one. That'll be one more for the cup, I suppose. Aalem... I don't know. You can heal, right? I hope so. Be ready to patch him up. Kwaiit, what's going on?

I'll move out at a half move rate (just walking along) towards the south, letting Ulrik do his thing and curiously wait for results.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

As an unusually short human jumps out, lifting a repeater crossbow filled to the brim with arrows, Kwaiit breathes a vicious gout of flame upon him and Ulrik charges.

Go ahead and roll for your attack, Ulrik.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i charge forward luaghing
    Last edited by lothbrok; 2012-08-15 at 09:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

attack
    (1d20+16)[25]

damage
    (1d20+15)[25]

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

The short human is sliced head to toe, a mighty slash that leaves him warm and oozing blood in two crispy pieces on the ground.

What shall you do now?

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"what, is that it? i've killed cats that put up more fight than this mongrel. might aswell see what else is around here." i give the area a quick look for anything good and i take the crossbow....assuming it hasnt cuaght fire
    Last edited by lothbrok; 2012-08-15 at 09:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Orc in the Playground

The crossbow is fine, so you take it.

No other people seem to be in the general area.

Aalem, in Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weren't there more of them than this? Where did the rest go? We should hunt them down while they're still weakened, maybe either leaving someone behind or making sure the room cannot be used against us somehow...

25. - Top - End - #535
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"well my friends there seems to be nothing left for us here. Where to next?"

26. - Top - End - #536

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    No. Our group is simply too small to afford splitting. We'll just have to hope no one sneaks in while we're gone, and be very careful on return. You're right though, there's at least one more. He headed south, and so will we.

There's another one, moving south into towards those mountains. We follow without delay, all of us, or we'll never find him again. Kwaiit, stay above us but fly up and see if you can spot him.

The messaging spell is still up, we'll have the ability to communicate for another 25 minutes at least.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"this is more like it! the hunt is on." i stay close enouh to be of imediate use in combat. assuming ignus is point directly on his heels

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

You all journey for about just under an hour to the south, before reaching a field leading up to the base of the mountainous region at the island's center. Roll Spot checks, please.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

here is my spot check
    (1d20+5)[13]

30. - Top - End - #540

DrowGuy

Spot check: [roll0]