New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [base class]

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    I believe the only non-draken mutation (that wasn't just a suggestion or outline for Draken) was something Arkhaic made for a SUPER high-powered game in which we were using evolutionist as a template for superheroes. It would have no place in any game that didn't want to run all evolutionists and adjust for the power increase accordingly. It basically gave a +1 boost to mutator level for selected mutations and I FEEL like it gave something else, but it was so long ago I can't remember.
    That is all it did. Chose one other mutation, raise your ML for that one by 1. It allowed you to cap-break and hyper specialize, basically.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The prestige classes that I didn't make are linked on the first post (with the exception of one that I was never quite happy with so I ended up not linking it).
    Which one was it, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Network View Post
    Which one was it, exactly?
    One dealing with eyes. Overall it was lacking.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

Draken, I noticed you have Prestige Class for spell using evolutionist... But nothing for Psionic using.

Are there chances of you making one like that?
    "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

There is one, but I am sort of on a hiatus right now.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

There is one, but I am sort of on a hiatus right now.
    I am saddened to hear that. When are you coming back from it?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Hard to say.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Would you mind if I, until you post your PrC, make my own Psionic PrC for evolutionist and post it here?

Edit:

Also, Aberration Eldritch Ascendancy of Spell-weaver seems powerful, too powerful. I mean, Can't Evolutionist/Spellweaver have about 20 tentacles and 10 arms by level 20? Wouldn't it be like 30 spell levels that can be spell weaved?
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2014-09-15 at 05:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yasahiro View Post
    Would you mind if I, until you post your PrC, make my own Psionic PrC for evolutionist and post it here?

Edit:

Also, Aberration Eldritch Ascendancy of Spell-weaver seems powerful, too powerful. I mean, Can't Evolutionist/Spellweaver have about 20 tentacles and 10 arms by level 20? Wouldn't it be like 30 spell levels that can be spell weaved?
    Nine tentacles at most, with tentacle mutation twice, roots, offensive roots and that one spell that gives you two tentacles. If that one is made to count. A couple more if you run grove and get to fight in your own little realm of doom.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I forgot about limit on natural weapons on Evolutionist's body... So no "Mouth on each hand" or "Many many tentacles" hijinks, hm....

I must ask, does Unholy Grace allow one to add Charisma modifier to the chosen save ON TOP of the bonus they have from regular relevant ability modifier? Like, Fortitude gets bonus from both Constitution AND Charisma?

When you get Resilient Form, Nimble Form or Superior Instinct and add the +1 to checks to respective ability checks, does that include their respective saves? Would Resilient Form give +1 to Fortitude from higher Constitution and +1 bonus from mutation itself giving additional +1 bonus?

Would getting Superior Grace also add that +1 check bonus to saves if you have Unholy Grace?
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2014-09-16 at 12:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Nine tentacles at most, with tentacle mutation twice, roots, offensive roots and that one spell that gives you two tentacles. If that one is made to count. A couple more if you run grove and get to fight in your own little realm of doom.
    Tentacle Mutation Twice: 4 tentacles.
    Evard's Menacing Tentacles: 2 tentacles
    Offensive Roots: 8 Tentacles (6 Teratomorphs + 2 from Aberration Perfection)
    Total: 14 Tentacles. Not sure how you got 9.

If you spend some feats on aberration blood, you can get Deepspawn for 2 more tentacles.
    If you go for Illithid Grapple you can get up to 4 more tentacles, but it is pricey. But hey, if you have Evolve Talent...
    If you use the spell Fearsome Grapple, you can get 4 more tentacles (they can't be used for actions other than grappling... but you can argue that they don't need to perform actions to work with Spellweaver).
    If you use the spell Flaying Tendrils, you can get 4 more tentacles.
    There are some grafts in the Fiend Folio that add tentacles as well.

You can get a lot of tentacles pretty easily as an Evolutionist if thats what you want to go for.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2014-09-16 at 01:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Tentacle Mutation Twice: 4 tentacles.
    Evard's Menacing Tentacles: 2 tentacles
    Offensive Roots: 8 Tentacles (6 Teratomorphs + 2 from Aberration Perfection)
    Total: 14 Tentacles. Not sure how you got 9.

If you spend some feats on aberration blood, you can get Deepspawn for 2 more tentacles.
    If you go for Illithid Grapple you can get up to 4 more tentacles, but it is pricey. But hey, if you have Evolve Talent...
    If you use the spell Fearsome Grapple, you can get 4 more tentacles (they can't be used for actions other than grappling... but you can argue that they don't need to perform actions to work with Spellweaver).
    If you use the spell Flaying Tendrils, you can get 4 more tentacles.
    There are some grafts in the Fiend Folio that add tentacles as well.

You can get a lot of tentacles pretty easily as an Evolutionist if thats what you want to go for.
    That line is in response to a build that goes Spell Weaver 10, so unless you are gestalt or epic, you have only 3 teratomorphisms!

Granted, heaps of feats for tentacle granting. Might end up nerfing the aberrant spell weaver capstone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Bonus Spell-like Abilities: A spell weaver gains one additional spell-like ability of each level he is able to acquire through mutations. These additional spell-like abilities follow all the same rules as the spell-like ability mutation but do not count against the mutation’s cap. Whenever the spell weaver gains a new mutator level, he may exchange any of his bonus spell-like abilities should he desire to.
    I am not sure if I read this correctly. Does it mean that if my mutator level got high enough for me to be able to recieve a spell like ability of higher level, I will automatically get one of those?

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

I am not sure if I read this correctly. Does it mean that if my mutator level got high enough for me to be able to recieve a spell like ability of higher level, I will automatically get one of those?
    That ability will give you one spell-like ability of each level you can cast for free, that means one level 0, level 1, level 2, level 3, etc as levels go up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

That ability will give you one spell-like ability of each level you can cast for free, that means one level 0, level 1, level 2, level 3, etc as levels go up.
    So it applies to any future availible spell levels too. Thank you.

Is Arcane Capacity affected by items increasing the casting stat, just like Sorcerers and wizard tend to have with their spells per day?

Edit: Would Outsider Ascendancy also give one more use of the 9 level Domain spell from Eldritch Outsider Ascendancy, if a character has both?

The elemental lance can deal damage of any type which the evolutionist has an elemental attack mutation, and it deals extra damage equal to the highest elemental attack that matches it (if the evolutionist has applied elemental attack to multiple separate natural weapons, only the highest total damage applies.
    So on top of Elemental Lance damage, do I deal Elemental Attack Damage? Like, if I have 1 Elemental Attack and 1 Elemental Lance, do I deal 1d6 from Elemental Lance + 1d6 of the Elemental Attack?
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2014-09-17 at 03:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

So it applies to any future availible spell levels too. Thank you.

Is Arcane Capacity affected by items increasing the casting stat, just like Sorcerers and wizard tend to have with their spells per day?

Edit: Would Outsider Ascendancy also give one more use of the 9 level Domain spell from Eldritch Outsider Ascendancy, if a character has both?

So on top of Elemental Lance damage, do I deal Elemental Attack Damage? Like, if I have 1 Elemental Attack and 1 Elemental Lance, do I deal 1d6 from Elemental Lance + 1d6 of the Elemental Attack?
    Yes to all questions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #977
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

How is craft (genetics) going? Anyone have any interesting builds they care to share?

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

How is craft (genetics) going? Anyone have any interesting builds they care to share?
    Stagnated, college stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #979
    Bugbear in the Playground

Craft [Genetics], how interesting. Where is this located?

20. - Top - End - #980
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

i really like this idea and build, but i agree that it kinda needs the craft genetics, maybe with the epic realization rules, aka if you fail by over 1/4 of the difficulty that discovery from that method of learning is now locked, and do you want me to draw up a web chart of all possible evolution branches of this class and how they interconnect?
    Reality is my clay, Imagination my tools.

Always have an idea on hand.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    Craft [Genetics], how interesting. Where is this located?
    In my hard drive, Hanuman, but like I said, I can't finish it for the time being.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

If I can suggest something...

Absorption [Extraordinary]
    Prerequisite: Symbiosis, Swallow Whole, Mutator Level 8
    Ability Score: Constitution
    Benefit: When Evolutionist manages to swallow whole a creature, they can attempt to absorb a creature into themselves through another grapple check. If the creature fails said check, they are absorbed into the evolutionist. Absorption grants the same benefits to the evolutionist as Symbiosis, but every minute the creature absorbed is allowed a Will save against this mutation's DC. Upon succeeding they are able to act normally to cut their way out of evolutionist's stomach. Failure on either of those checks causes the creature to take damage from evolutionist's gizzard + 1 point of Constitution damage. Evolutionist is also capable of attempting another grapple as full-round action to reabsorb the creatures that still haven't left his stomach, If the creature becomes helpless due to loss of hit points or ability damage, they cannot make anymore checks to free themselves. However, if another creature were to be absorbed by the Evolutionist, they can make additional grapple checks upon making successful check to free themselves, in order to take out other creatures from evolutionist's body. Miracle, Wish and such spells can also be used to free the creatures. If the creatures have been helpless when absorbed for 24 hours, Evolutionist is free to sacrifice said creatures in order to gain fast healing equal to number of HD of the sacrificed creature, for a number of minutes equal to creature's Constitution score. The Fast Healing doesn't stack with another sacrifice, it is instead sacrificed. However, it stacks with the fast healing gained through other methods.
    Further Mutations: The amount of creatures Evolutionist can have absorbed at the same time is equal to the number of times he has taken this mutation.

Edit: Alternatively the creature may simply not get additional turns per round due to this forced symbiosis.

I do have a question about Regeneration, though. Since Regeneration per SRD rules does do the reattaching limbs, regrowth of them and turning damage into non-lethal... But it doesn't heal lethal damage, only the non lethal.

So would Evolutionist with 3 Fast Healing Mutations and Regeneration I, Regeneration II teratomorphisms have... Fast Healing 10 and Regeneration 10?

Does Mutant Ascendancy allow Evolutionist to do away with maximum age, no matter which ascendancy they chose?

EDIT2: Would Control Size feat allow an Evolutionist Worldshaker to go back to being the size they were before the size increase from Worldshaker? And can evolutionist qualify for Worldshaker by having Powerful Build but being Medium, considering Powerful Build tends to allow taking feats for Large creatures even if one is Medium.
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2014-10-11 at 05:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hello, wanted to say that a friend introduced me to this class and it is now one of my favorite homebrew classes, or homebrew anything, that I've seen on these forums. Definitely in the top 5 I think. I'm still trying to learn a lot about it, made a few test characters to try things. Ancient mutators make great horror villans. Though I am still trying to wrap my head around how the spell-like abilities thing works.

I have a bit of a request though. I saw that there are a few prestige classes for this, and was wondering if I could make a prestige class of my own mixing it with a homebrew Bloodcaster class I'm working on, like a hybrid thing? I'd post the prestige class here somewhere instead of on that site. But could I?
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

24. - Top - End - #984

Chimera

I didn't realize this was still active, awesome.

Love the class, currently playing a plant-based Evolutionist with too many HP and a bunch of Fast Healing :D

I have a question, sorry if it's already been asked and it's probably a silly question, with mutator feats do you require at least Mutator level 1, or can you only take it at mutator level 1?

Also, love your work, keep it up ^.^

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Defiantnight View Post

Love the class, currently playing a plant-based Evolutionist with too many HP and a bunch of Fast Healing :D

I have a question, sorry if it's already been asked and it's probably a silly question, with mutator feats do you require at least Mutator level 1, or can you only take it at mutator level 1?
    In dnd, unless otherwise stated, all prereqs are 'at least'. Otherwise, a whole bunch of feats would be near-impossible to get. A feat that has prereqs: BAB +5 can be picked by a Fighter 6, can it not?

26. - Top - End - #986

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    In dnd, unless otherwise stated, all prereqs are 'at least'. Otherwise, a whole bunch of feats would be near-impossible to get. A feat that has prereqs: BAB +5 can be picked by a Fighter 6, can it not?
    Oh.. I suppose you're right. I feel silly now.

A different couple questions that came to me, as I'm trying to decide on my Ascendancy, though (again sorry if this has already been answered):

"The evolutionist may pick an ascendancy from the list bellow, changing his creature type to the matching ascendancy's..."
    -Is the Ancient ascendancy the only exception? ("The Ascendancy of the Ancient Mutator list does not change the evolutionist’s creature type.")

"Lastly, the evolutionist gains two extra mutations." "As a final benefit, upon gaining this ability, the evolutionist may redefine how his age categories advance."
    -Are these abilities default to all of them, or are the bonuses listed in the special ascendancies (plant, undead, etc.) replacements for these?

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

A different couple questions that came to me, as I'm trying to decide on my Ascendancy, though (again sorry if this has already been answered):

"The evolutionist may pick an ascendancy from the list bellow, changing his creature type to the matching ascendancy's..."
    -Is the Ancient ascendancy the only exception? ("The Ascendancy of the Ancient Mutator list does not change the evolutionist’s creature type.")
    The Construct and Undead ascendancies also make it possible for you to not change types, if you start as the other type of non-living creature. They istead merely gain the Necrogolem subtype.

"Lastly, the evolutionist gains two extra mutations." "As a final benefit, upon gaining this ability, the evolutionist may redefine how his age categories advance."
    -Are these abilities default to all of them, or are the bonuses listed in the special ascendancies (plant, undead, etc.) replacements for these?
    They're the default for all of them, which you get in addition to whatever benefit from your Type. If you notice, picking a type isn't optional, so having a 'blank' makes no logical sense.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

If I can suggest something...

Absorption [Extraordinary]
    Prerequisite: Symbiosis, Swallow Whole, Mutator Level 8
    Ability Score: Constitution
    Benefit: When Evolutionist manages to swallow whole a creature, they can attempt to absorb a creature into themselves through another grapple check. If the creature fails said check, they are absorbed into the evolutionist. Absorption grants the same benefits to the evolutionist as Symbiosis, but every minute the creature absorbed is allowed a Will save against this mutation's DC. Upon succeeding they are able to act normally to cut their way out of evolutionist's stomach. Failure on either of those checks causes the creature to take damage from evolutionist's gizzard + 1 point of Constitution damage. Evolutionist is also capable of attempting another grapple as full-round action to reabsorb the creatures that still haven't left his stomach, If the creature becomes helpless due to loss of hit points or ability damage, they cannot make anymore checks to free themselves. However, if another creature were to be absorbed by the Evolutionist, they can make additional grapple checks upon making successful check to free themselves, in order to take out other creatures from evolutionist's body. Miracle, Wish and such spells can also be used to free the creatures. If the creatures have been helpless when absorbed for 24 hours, Evolutionist is free to sacrifice said creatures in order to gain fast healing equal to number of HD of the sacrificed creature, for a number of minutes equal to creature's Constitution score. The Fast Healing doesn't stack with another sacrifice, it is instead sacrificed. However, it stacks with the fast healing gained through other methods.
    Further Mutations: The amount of creatures Evolutionist can have absorbed at the same time is equal to the number of times he has taken this mutation.

Edit: Alternatively the creature may simply not get additional turns per round due to this forced symbiosis.

I am completely unwilling to allow forced Symbiosis. Willing Symbiosis is already incredibly powerful.

I do have a question about Regeneration, though. Since Regeneration per SRD rules does do the reattaching limbs, regrowth of them and turning damage into non-lethal... But it doesn't heal lethal damage, only the non lethal.

So would Evolutionist with 3 Fast Healing Mutations and Regeneration I, Regeneration II teratomorphisms have... Fast Healing 10 and Regeneration 10?

Yes. There are a few creatures with both regeneration and fast healing as well.

Does Mutant Ascendancy allow Evolutionist to do away with maximum age, no matter which ascendancy they chose?

Yes.

EDIT2: Would Control Size feat allow an Evolutionist Worldshaker to go back to being the size they were before the size increase from Worldshaker? And can evolutionist qualify for Worldshaker by having Powerful Build but being Medium, considering Powerful Build tends to allow taking feats for Large creatures even if one is Medium.
    Worldshaker was written after Control Size and not by me, so that fact that they don't work together by RAW is an oversight. They are supposed to work together.

And having powerful build does, technically, allow you to take Worldshaker while medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Hello, wanted to say that a friend introduced me to this class and it is now one of my favorite homebrew classes, or homebrew anything, that I've seen on these forums. Definitely in the top 5 I think. I'm still trying to learn a lot about it, made a few test characters to try things. Ancient mutators make great horror villans. Though I am still trying to wrap my head around how the spell-like abilities thing works.

I have a bit of a request though. I saw that there are a few prestige classes for this, and was wondering if I could make a prestige class of my own mixing it with a homebrew Bloodcaster class I'm working on, like a hybrid thing? I'd post the prestige class here somewhere instead of on that site. But could I?
    Feel free to homebrew to your heart's content!

Also, love your work, keep it up ^.^
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Answered excellently.

Oh.. I suppose you're right. I feel silly now.

Yes. There is no type associated with the Ancient Ascendancy.

These two benefits are inherent to Mutant Ascendancy and separate from the benefits provided by individual ascendancies.

To note: The Mutant Ascendancy class feature gives three benefits:
    - 2 mutations.
    - The ability to redefine your aging process.
    - A specific ascendancy from the list(s), with all its listed benefits.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #989

Chimera

Awesome :D
    Thanks for the clarifications.

Also, I hate to be a bugger, but I saw this...
    Draken, none of your PrCs for this class have their tables fixxed. Just thought you would want to know.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I think you're incorrect on your note about Powerful Build letting you qualify. Powerful Build lets you count as being a size category larger for very specific purposes (opposed checks, what size you count as for whether you can be effected by special abilities based on size, what size weapons you can weild), not just in general. Notably, 'qualifying for PRC or feats' is not on the list (with the Races of Stone feats that Powerful Build lets you qualify for being exceptions, thus why its called out in the feats).