New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default E6 for 5e-- Custom Feats

Over on the 5e subforum, I was working out houserules for a gritty, low-power version of 5e, using the old e6 rules as a starting point*. One of the things discussed were late-game feats, things you could do with your ASIs after you'd already picked up what you need for your character concept. So... we came up with two categories: Paragon Feats, which require an ability score of 20, and Capstone Feats, which require a total character level of 6 or higher.

Spoiler: Paragon Feats
    Show

Legendary Strength
    Prerequisite: Strength 20, no other Legendary ____ feat
    You gain the following benefits:
    • When you make a Strength check, you can treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8
    • You count as one size category larger when determining your carrying capacity and how large a foe you can grab or shove.
    • You gain a +5 bonus on Strength checks made to lift, push, break, or otherwise manhandle an object.

Legendary Dexterity
    Prerequisite: Dexterity 20, no other Legendary ____ feat
    • When you make a Dexterity check, you can treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8
    • You may use your Dexterity score to determine how far you can jump, and for ability checks based on climbing or jumping.
    • You gain a climb speed equal to your land speed, and you may balance on objects as narrow as one inch without having to make a check. When determining if an object can support your weight, you are counted as only half as heavy as you actually are.

Legendary Constitution
    Prerequisite: Constitution 20, no other Legendary ____ feat
    • When you make a Constitution check, you can treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8
    • When you would have a condition or level of exhaustion imposed on you, you may use a reaction to choose to ignore it until the end of your next turn. You cannot use this ability more than once against the same effect.

Legendary Intelligence
    Prerequisite: Intelligence 20, no other Legendary ____ feat
    • When you make an Intelligence check, you can treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8
    • When making an ability check to which one could apply a proficiency bonus, you may add your Intelligence bonus to your roll. You may choose to do so after you have seen the result of your roll but before the DM announces the result. Once you have used this ability three times, you cannot do so again until you complete a long rest.

Legendary Wisdom
    Prerequisite: Wisdom 20, no other Legendary ____ feat
    • When you make a Wisdom check, you can treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8
    • You gain blindsense out to a range of 10ft.
    • As a bonus action, you may meditate on a specific course of action, learning whether its results will be good, bad, mixed, or neither. This ability does not take into account any possible circumstances that might change the outcome, such as the casting of additional spells or the loss or gain of a companion. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again until you complete a short or long rest.

Legendary Charisma
    Prerequisite: Charisma 20, no other Legendary ____ feat
    • When you make a Strength check, you can treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8
    • As long as you are able to speak, you may use the Help action as a bonus action to aid an ally within 30ft who can hear you.

Spoiler: Capstone Feats
    Show

Advanced Barbarian
    Prerequisite: Barbarian 5
    You may use your Rage ability one additional time before taking a long rest, and your bonus damage increases by 1.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. The benefits stack.

Advanced Bard
    Prerequisite: Bard 5
    You gain one additional use of your Bardic Inspiration ability. In addition, select one skill you are proficient in. You may add twice your Proficiency bonus to checks made using that skill.

Advanced Cleric
    Prerequisite: Cleric 5
    Select one of the following spells--Commune, Death Ward, Divination, Freedom of Movement, Greater Restoration, Hallow, or Locate Creature. You may cast your chosen spell as a ritual. Once you have done so, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.
    Special: You may select this feat multiple times, choosing a new spell each time. You may still only cast one of your chosen spells as a ritual before completing a long rest

Advanced Druid
    Prerequisite: Druid 5
    Select one of the following spells: Awaken, Commune with Nature, Conjure Woodland Beings, Control Winds, Polymorph, Stone Shape, or Stoneskin. You may cast your chosen spell as a ritual. Once you have done so, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.
    Special: You may select this feat multiple times, choosing a new spell each time. You may still only cast one of your chosen spells as a ritual before completing a long rest

Advanced Moon Druid
    Prerequisite: Moon Druid 5
    Select one Beast with a CR of 2 or lower. You may use your Wild Shape ability to transform into it, even if it has a fly speed.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you do, you may select a new Beast.

Advanced Fighter
    Prerequisite: Fighter 5
    You gain one additional Fighting Style, and your weapon attacks deal an additional 2 damage.

Advanced Monk
    Prerequisite: Monk 5
    You gain an additional point of Ki, and your martial arts damage die increases in size by one step-- from 1d6 to 1d8, 1d8 to 1d10, and so one.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. The benefits stack. If your martial arts damage die is 1d12, each additional application of this feat instead grants +1 damage with unarmed strikes.

Advanced Paladin
    Prerequisite: Paladin 5
    You gain one additional Fighting Style and one additional first level spell slot.

Advanced Ranger
    Prerequisite: Ranger 5
    You gain one additional Fighting Style and one additional first level spell slot.

Advanced Rogue
    Prerequisite: Rogue 5
    You deal an additional 1d6 damage with your sneak attack. In addition, select one skill you are proficient in. You may add twice your Proficiency bonus to checks made using that skill.

Advanced Sorcerer
    Prerequisite: Sorcerer 5
    You gain one additional Sorcery Point and one additional metamagic option.

Advanced Warlock
    Prerequisite: Warlock 5
    You learn one additional invocation.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, learning a new invocation each time.

Advanced Wizard
    Prerequisite: Wizard 5
    Select one of the following spells: Arcane Eye, Conjure Minor Elemental, Dream, Fabricate, Hallucinatory Terrain, Leomund's Secret Chest, Modify Memory, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, Polymorph, Scrying, or Stoneskin. You may cast your chosen spell as a ritual. Once you have done so, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

Also from previous feat projects...

Versatile Caster
    Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell

Upon choosing this feat, you learn one cantrip from your class list (or the Cleric list in the case of Paladins, or the Druid list in the case of Rangers). If you prepare spells, you may prepare an additional two spells at once; if you have a list of spells known, you may immediately learn two additional spells of first level or higher from your class list, which do not count towards your total number of spells known.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, learning new spells and/or preparing more spells each time.

*In a nutshell: Once you hit level 6, you stop gaining new levels; instead, every 10,000 xp you gain an ASI.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-02-02 at 09:33 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: E6 for 5e-- Custom Feats

I would like these paragon feats even for a regular game. Although even restricted to one per character, they might be badly OP. Advantage on all ability checks with certain abilities is pretty hefty.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2019-01-27 at 05:28 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    I would like these paragon feats even for a regular game. Although even restricted to one per character, they might be badly OP. Advantage on all ability checks with certain abilities is pretty hefty.
    Yeah, in retrospect I might make them more broadly available. The most OP ones would be... what, Dex, Wis, Cha? I guess I could replace the Advantage with another ability. Probably should... I just wanted to emphasize that you're above-and-beyond good at the raw thing. Maybe a Reliable Talent sort of thing instead?
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-01-27 at 06:28 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think a reliable talent feat for individual abilities wouldn't be too bad. Very good, yes, but not the craziest.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like the idea, but agree that Adv on saving throws might be too much (especially as a few are rather OP as pointed out). Maybe make it a flat bonus to the given ability score check?

Ex:
    Legendary Constitution
    Prerequisite: Constitution 20
    You have +4 on Constitution checks
    ....rest of the text as is......

Also, the class based Feats could use some balancing. At a glance:

Fighter's +3 HP from Second Wind is awful compared to the +1 level one spell slot for a Ranger/Paladin (which if using Cure Wounds is 1d8+3 on average...and if not cure Wounds, is the flexibility to use a dozen+ spells)
    Maybe make the Fighter's +3 HP a +6?

I may be wrong, but it kind of feels like casters get better feats, just by virtue of having an extra spell at such low levels make such a big difference. For instance, a Fighter would take their feat...twice at best. Whereas a caster's benefit from taking it additional time outpaces the Fighter. I guess this reflect the power curve of casters coming out on top at "Epic Levels" still. That said, I may be over analyzing this, because with a cap of level 6 these differences may not be too perceptible.

Sorry for the rant! I'd still 100% use these if I had an E6 5th Edition kinda game!
    Last edited by Jonagel; 2019-01-28 at 02:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonagel View Post
    I like the idea, but agree that Adv on saving throws might be too much (especially as a few are rather OP as pointed out). Maybe make it a flat bonus to the given ability score check?

Ex:
    Legendary Constitution
    Prerequisite: Constitution 20
    You have +4 on Constitution checks
    ....rest of the text as is......

Also, the class based Feats could use some balancing. At a glance:

Fighter's +3 HP from Second Wind is awful compared to the +1 level one spell slot for a Ranger/Paladin (which if using Cure Wounds is 1d8+3 on average...and if not cure Wounds, is the flexibility to use a dozen+ spells)
    Maybe make the Fighter's +3 HP a +6?

I may be wrong, but it kind of feels like casters get better feats, just by virtue of having an extra spell at such low levels make such a big difference. For instance, a Fighter would take their feat...twice at best. Whereas a caster's benefit from taking it additional time outpaces the Fighter. I guess this reflect the power curve of casters coming out on top at "Epic Levels" still. That said, I may be over analyzing this, because with a cap of level 6 these differences may not be too perceptible.

Sorry for the rant! I'd still 100% use these if I had an E6 5th Edition kinda game!
    As mentioned, it's just skill checks. But I think Reliable Talent, yeah.

As for the Fighter feat... how 'bout +2 damage instead?
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by superninja109 View Post
    Also, the Constitution feat enables you to remain conscious indefinitely. Drop to 0 hit points? Keep ignoring the unconscious decision. Yes, you are still vulnerable to instant death from massive damage or other conditions, but being able to use this ability to indefinitely keep fighting at 0 hp seems against the intent.
    Whoops-- that was not the intention. You're only supposed to be able to do it once against any given effect. Lemmie see if I can fix the wording a bit...

Additionally, the Wisdom feat seems like it doesn't really play into being very wise or perceptive as much as it ties into being defensive. I feel like a benefit that is not a passive defensive boost may be more in line with the feel of a paragon of wisdom. Maybe you have blindsight or something like that.
    I had been thinking willpower, but Blindsight is a much cooler idea. Thanks!
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show