New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

Have you considered augmenting the Grove plant mutation to allow the evolutionist to use the mechanics created by Kellus for the Geoccult discipline of Gramarie? I've always liked that mutation (when I play an evolutionist, I plan on taking plant mutator feet and two mutations just to get Grove) and adding in Geoccult mechanics would only make more fun.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Connoisseur, by Kellus

@Gideon Falcon: And the forum search function has been disabled since the mass update a few months ago.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    Have you considered augmenting the Grove plant mutation to allow the evolutionist to use the mechanics created by Kellus for the Geoccult discipline of Gramarie? I've always liked that mutation (when I play an evolutionist, I plan on taking plant mutator feet and two mutations just to get Grove) and adding in Geoccult mechanics would only make more fun.
    I don't think it would be wise to just have Grove provide a free geoccult pole or something of the like.

However, people ask so much for that that I caved in and started working on some stuff.

But the relationships I am making are different from what you would expect. I am planning five prestige classes, each relating one of the special mutation lists to one discipline of gramarie. Plants will relate to Yggdratecture.

You can guess Construct, Elemental, Outsider and Undead if you want. As a hint, Biollurgy will not be included in any of the prestige classes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #304

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I don't think it would be wise to just have Grove provide a free geoccult pole or something of the like.

However, people ask so much for that that I caved in and started working on some stuff.

But the relationships I am making are different from what you would expect. I am planning five prestige classes, each relating one of the special mutation lists to one discipline of gramarie. Plants will relate to Yggdratecture.

You can guess Construct, Elemental, Outsider and Undead if you want. As a hint, Biollurgy will not be included in any of the prestige classes.
    With Plants being Yggdratecture (in stead of Outsiders being Yggdratecture and Plants being Geoccultism) I don't think any guesses could be accurately made. But I guess outsider could be alchemetry, with elemental being arcanitecture. Maybe construct is heuristics?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    With Plants being Yggdratecture (in stead of Outsiders being Yggdratecture and Plants being Geoccultism) I don't think any guesses could be accurately made. But I guess outsider could be alchemetry, with elemental being arcanitecture. Maybe construct is heuristics?
    All wrong guesses and arcanitecture doesn't exist.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #306

BardGuy

Arcanodynamics. Wow, how did I do that?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

One right guess then! Elemental and Arcanodynamics. That will likely be the last one I do, however. And given that I travel tomorrow, that won't be seen until next year.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #308

BardGuy

One right guess then! Elemental and Arcanodynamics. That will likely be the last one I do, however. And given that I travel tomorrow, that won't be seen until next year.
    Yay! One right! Also, not till next year sounds bad, but thats less than 3 weeks.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

I love this class, but the only thing I have a problem with is the spell like ability mutation.

Once you get to 17th level do you think an at will 0 level spell will really make a difference? (except for cure minor wounds of course but even then it's really slow and you could be attacked by wandering monsters) and same with 1st level spells and the level that they become at will. Other than that little thing though I find this class amazing.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Biollurgy will not be included in any of the prestige classes.

What.
    WHY?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I love this class, but the only thing I have a problem with is the spell like ability mutation.

Once you get to 17th level do you think an at will 0 level spell will really make a difference? (except for cure minor wounds of course but even then it's really slow and you could be attacked by wandering monsters) and same with 1st level spells and the level that they become at will. Other than that little thing though I find this class amazing.
    It is just how the progression goes, truth be said. I frankly doubt anyone would even take a cantrip as a spell-like ability to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    What.
    WHY?
    Lack of thematic contingency with the current plan, mostly. Also, there will simply not be class features including it, not a prohibition to actually take it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #312

It should though.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

13. - Top - End - #313

BardGuy

It is just how the progression goes, truth be said. I frankly doubt anyone would even take a cantrip as a spell-like ability to begin with.
    I think I wanted prestidigitation to make my created food taste good...

addendum:
    Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    It should though.
    Acanitect is a new PrC.
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2012-12-20 at 10:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

It should be a discipline as well. Also, a base class, PrC, ACF, diety, creature, maneuver, spell, and power. And magic item. Because it sounds awesome.

...And because I forgot that fact.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

I also think there needs to be a way to maybe reverse the effects of the instant regrowth terratomorphism, making the land fertile again and not super dry and chalky. maybe this is like a few weeks or a month of working or maybe some magical ingridients need to be mixed in, or just the damn miracle grow that created assassin vines needs to be added, I dont know, but I think there needs to be a way
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I also think there needs to be a way to maybe reverse the effects of the instant regrowth terratomorphism, making the land fertile again and not super dry and chalky. maybe this is like a few weeks or a month of working or maybe some magical ingridients need to be mixed in, or just the damn miracle grow that created assassin vines needs to be added, I dont know, but I think there needs to be a way
    It is not dry and chalky, merely barren and inadequate for agriculture, for the most part.

The land should fully recover on its own in about an year. Nondescript efforts that would require a full ruleset for farming would probably include a few means of restoring exhausted land.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #317
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something to think about with plant and elemental mutations: If you start out as one of those types, and then take, say, the monstrous humanoid ascendancy, do you lose the benefits of your type?
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    Something to think about with plant and elemental mutations: If you start out as one of those types, and then take, say, the monstrous humanoid ascendancy, do you lose the benefits of your type?
    Yes.

Undead and Construct get a special pass due to thematic reasons, mostly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #319

Hm. Seems a bummer. Plant suddenly become vulnerable to sneak attacks and such? Or Elementals, just because they weren't interested in having a demiplane of their own?
    Anyway, I'm still confused as to the purpose of the extrude docent ability, especially as a level VI taratamorphism. So you have a bunch of sentient tchochkies, now what? What do they do? They don't have any other properties, besides the ability to possess people.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    Hm. Seems a bummer. Plant suddenly become vulnerable to sneak attacks and such? Or Elementals, just because they weren't interested in having a demiplane of their own?
    Anyway, I'm still confused as to the purpose of the extrude docent ability, especially as a level VI taratamorphism. So you have a bunch of sentient tchochkies, now what? What do they do? They don't have any other properties, besides the ability to possess people.
    I am considering expanding their skill repertoire to all of the evolutionist's skills, actually, I was being somewhat conservative when I first wrote the teratomorphism.

The docents provide two basic benefits for the time being, they create a very long range communications network, and they can do skill checks separately from you, not as well as you, pretty likely, but very well nonetheless.

Their side-benefit, is that if they take over a wearer (which has to be a construct or someone UMDing the docent), you basically get a potentially useful, absolutely loyal minion capable of individualized decision-making that thinks exactly like you do. So by all means, an extra body.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #321

That does make some more sense. However, if the docents provide extra bodies, shouldn't they include some sort of revival clause if the main body dies, ala brainiac? Some method of using your minions to create a new body?
    It would, of course, need major limitations, such as monetary and/or XP cost, so as to not tread on the toes of Planar Renewal and Plant Perfection.
    Last edited by Gideon Falcon; 2012-12-26 at 03:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

The class is amazing! I seriously have to make a list of my favs on GITP board.

On the topic of storing the brain if the main body dies - please introduce a way to do this. Maybe some cloning?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

I can't find the part where you address how to calculate DCs for the SLAs. Can you expand on that a bit, please?

Breath Weapon
    Prerequisite: Elemental resistance.
    Ability Score: Constitution
    Benefit: The evolutionist can breathe out an area elemental attack as a standard action. This attack deals 1d6 points of damage per mutator level (max: 10d6) to all creatures in a cone or in a line (the area is chosen upon taking the mutation) in front of the evolutionist, a reflex save halves the damage dealt. A cone breath has a length of the 10 ft., plus 5 ft. per two mutator levels, a line has a length of 20 ft, plus 5 ft. per mutator level. Once the evolutionist uses his breath weapon, he must wait five rounds before using it again. For each size category the evolutionist has above medium, the length of a cone increases by 20 feet and the length of a line increases by 30 feet.
    The breath weapon’s damage type must be one the evolutionist has resistance or immunity to, and is chosen at the moment the mutation is taken.
    Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken after the first, the evolutionist can chose to gain a new, separate breath weapon (with its own cooldown), the evolutionist cannot have more than one breath weapon of any one damage type. The evolutionist may also choose to increase the maximum damage of one existing breath weapon by 10d6 or reduce the cooldown of one existing breath weapon by one round, to a minimum of two rounds.
    Is this reflex save for half? If so, how is the DC calculated?

Charm
    Prerequisite: -
    Ability Score: Charisma
    Benefit: The evolutionist can attempt to charm a creature of any type within 100 ft. as a standard action. This effect works exactly like the Charm Person spell, except for its range, save DC and possible targets. The charm lasts for 24 hours.
    Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken, its duration increases by 24 hours.
    How often can this be used, and how do you calculate the DCs?

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I can't find the part where you address how to calculate DCs for the SLAs. Can you expand on that a bit, please?

Is this reflex save for half? If so, how is the DC calculated?

How often can this be used, and how do you calculate the DCs?
    Oh general DC calculation, right at the beginning of the mutation section:
    Mutator level also determines the power of some mutations, and whenever a mutation allows a save, the DC is 10 + half the character’s mutator level + relevant ability modifier (see the specific mutation for this)
    On the breath weapon's save, from the mutation description:
    a reflex save halves the damage dealt
    As for Charm, it seems to be at-will, which is pretty damn good.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Can someone explain the natural weapon cap? Say I want to have prehensile doom hair, and apply the Tentacles mutation to represent it. Now, I'm limited to "four natural weapons gained through this mutation". Does that mean four total tentacles? Or, is it four purchases of the Tentacle mutation, which adds up to 8 tentacles, since I buy two Tentacles with each purchase?

Edit: Also what would I have to purchase to make them grip things like they were hands?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2013-01-01 at 08:16 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #326

BardGuy

How does grove interact with geoccult poles? Can I set a grove up in any terrain type? Does my grove give me control over climate and natural bodies?
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-01-01 at 08:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Can someone explain the natural weapon cap? Say I want to have prehensile doom hair, and apply the Tentacles mutation to represent it. Now, I'm limited to "four natural weapons gained through this mutation". Does that mean four total tentacles? Or, is it four purchases of the Tentacle mutation, which adds up to 8 tentacles, since I buy two Tentacles with each purchase?

Edit: Also what would I have to purchase to make them grip things like they were hands?
    There are two limits at work here, one is the limit of how many natural attacks (gained through the mutation) you can use in a full attack, and the other limit is how many tentacles you can have from the mutation.

The first limit is four plus one, where the four refers to [Claws], [Slams] and [Tentacles] (you can make up to four attacks with any combination of these natural weapons, GAINED WITH MUTATIONS, on any given full attack) and the one refers to [Bite], [Gore] and Tail (same rules as stated before).

It is worth remembering that these limits only apply to natural attacks gained with mutations, all natural attacks gained from other sources (race, totemist, ozodrin, etc) remain useable beyond this limit.

As for the tentacles-as-hands thing, go check Savage Species.

-----

Grove does not give you control of the climate or natural bodies and, by default, has absolutely no interaction with geoccult poles. A geoccult pole will change the landscape but it will not interfere with the grove itself.

The grove will not change, by itself, to match your particular themes, whatever they might be, that is where Budding Creation comes in, for the most part. I might make more Grove abilities that allow the evolutionist to fill his grove with other things (similar to Miasma), such as an Energy Aura, the effects of Cataclysm Heart, empowering your bound servants with choice construct mutations and infusions you have as SLAs, etc.

But all that will have to wait another five days at least.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

28. - Top - End - #328
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I know this is a bit of a foolish question but... a warforged evolutionist doesn't need to take the construct feat right?

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilRon View Post
    I know this is a bit of a foolish question but... a warforged evolutionist doesn't need to take the construct feat right?
    Nope, warforged are Constructs (the living construct subtype doesn't change that), so they have free access.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alrighty, thank you very much for the swift response.