New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

As written, Planar renewal does not work on the material plane.
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

I know, but my party is making a demiplane that they will be filling with life they have created. Thats why I called it the mini-material plane.
    I have 5 characters:
    Prometheus: guy whos making land creatures (mammalians and humanoids)
    Reptiscis: guy whos making lizards and fish
    aviarus: bird chick
    semen (its latin for seed, I was dared, get off my back): making plants
    and xenothus: making abberants
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    As written, Planar renewal does not work on the material plane.
    It does if you belong to the right race. Bariaur, Buomman, Mephling, Neraphim, Shadowswift, Spiker and Wildren are examples of player races that gain the Extraplanar subtype when they are in the material plane. Of that list, all but Buomman, Mephlings and Spikers gain free access to the outsider list too.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #394

Still, it's unlikely that you're going to be one of those races, and for anyone else, it ruins half the point of the taratamorphism if it only works on extraplanar adventures. It seems like a needless restriction that stomps on everyone's toes than a necessary balance rule.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    Still, it's unlikely that you're going to be one of those races, and for anyone else, it ruins half the point of the taratamorphism if it only works on extraplanar adventures. It seems like a needless restriction that stomps on everyone's toes than a necessary balance rule.
    Planar Renewal is an adaptation of the (semi-obscure and possibly setitng-specific) rule that Outsiders killed out of their home planes revive in their home planes.

It is supposed to be mainly of use to those who are running extraplanar adventures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

The star elves from Forgotten Realms: Unapproachable East and the dusklings from Magic of Incarnum both are LA+0 and have the extraplanar subtype. They are humanoid and fey respectively, so they'll need the appropriate feat, but planar renewal would work for them while they are on the material plane, allowing them to revive elsewhere.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

7. - Top - End - #397

I still think it's kind of useless for most characters. I don't want to offend, but I don't think that having a few cases where it's not completely irrelevant excuses it for being kind of cheap. I don't know, maybe I'm just over attached to it's use in normal gameplay.
    Last edited by Gideon Falcon; 2013-02-14 at 05:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

I made a few changes to Planar Apotheosis and added an entry to the Outsider Mutant Ascendancy that should help diminish such concerns.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does planar renewal effect semi-planes such as player-made quori dreamspace?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    Does planar renewal effect semi-planes such as player-made quori dreamspace?
    I think you are asking if it works on said planes, because PR does nothing to the planes themselves.

If you get (Extraplanar) on a plane, then Planar Renewal will trigger if you die in that place. It will then proceed to drag your souls spiralling into a crash-course across the Astral Plane for five days before uncerimoniously forging a new body for it in a plane where you do not get the Extraplanar subtype and leaving you naked and alone somewhere in that plane.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Small changelog:

Changed:

Spines: No longer requires Quills. Also, treated as a thrown weapon (so it can be used with feats such as Brutal Throw and Power Throw).

High Evolutionary
    - Evolutionary Touch: mutation limit still governed by HE's mutator level, but the mutation power is determined by the target's HD.

Added:

Extraordinaire:
    Ink: Create total an area of concealment underwater or blind a target on dry land.
    Jet: Never use the withdraw action again.
    Sprint: Charge from fireball range.

Outsider:
    Abduction: Teleport away with an enemy.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-02-24 at 10:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

The Archon Teratomorphism makes you vulnerable to your own elemental attacks. Like your own energy auras.

Oddly enough, I don't think it allows you to pierce your own immunities with the overclocking construct mutation.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2013-02-27 at 10:39 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, elemental archon has been edited so that it doesn't ignore your own resistances/immunities (and Elemental Renewal has been changed so that it does).

And while I didn't think it was needed. I have made explicit that Elemental Nimbus and Elemental Aura do not damage the user.

Also, made a few changes to Cataclysm Heart (Fire and Air). Their overall effects are mostly unchanged.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-02-27 at 11:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, what are the limits on Summon? It seems really powerful, because it seems to, if you're still attuned to the Material Plane, allow you to summon any mortal you want and force them to do your bidding. Might I suggest having it summon outsiders with an alignment subtype that matches one of your alignment components?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2013-02-27 at 11:19 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Also, what are the limits on Summon? It seems really powerful, because it seems to, if you're still attuned to the Material Plane, allow you to summon any mortal you want and force them to do your bidding. Might I suggest having it summon outsiders with an alignment subtype that matches one of your alignment components?
    Yeah. There was a bigger issue with Summon actually. It's writing was keyed to the function of a teratomorphism that never made it to live (Planar Attunement was it). I have changed it to an outsider of your alignment. Also changed it from preventing genies from granting wishes to prevent anything from granting wishes.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-02-27 at 11:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

Ink, Jet and Abduction sound really neat!

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Ink is really powerful. Have you heard any of the fuss about the spell Blinding Spittle (Spell Compendium)? This is that but better, basically. Also, could you put the action for activating the Ink up at the beginning? It's a little confusing right after the action for removing it.

Also, is there any provisions for exotic Evolutionists (Outsiders mostly) that change their type via the class and still have access to their mutation list?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2013-03-01 at 11:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Ink is really powerful. Have you heard any of the fuss about the spell Blinding Spittle (Spell Compendium)? This is that but better, basically. Also, could you put the action for activating the Ink up at the beginning? It's a little confusing right after the action for removing it.

Also, is there any provisions for exotic Evolutionists (Outsiders mostly) that change their type via the class and still have access to their mutation list?
    Never heard any fuss about it but just went to check the spell. Changed Ink's spit to require only a standard action to clean and moved the activation action to the beggining.

As for the second, most effects that change type provide the (Augmented) subtype, which is sufficient to grant access to the special lists.

Other changes:

Skill bonus innate mutations - They have all been changed so that you can't dump massive ammounts of mutations into them for deranged skill bonuses in case you can get away with it. This change was brought to you by strawberryman making a dungeon full of evolutionists, some of which can't be stealthed past or can't lose a social fight.

On the plus side, they provide better benefits for lesser investments now.

Solar Power Teratomorphisms - Changed from a rage-like effect to a power boost dependant on external conditions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, the damage reduction mutation is weird. It doesn't allow you to progress any damage reduction except those pierced by magic, which means most racial DR simply can't be enhanced by it. (A particularly stupid DM might not even allow you to progress the DR granted by it once you have one of the mutations that adds an additional qualifier to it, because by technicality that means that it's no longer pierced by just magic.) Also, it can only progress one type of DR at a time, so if you end up with different types of DR from race, class, feats, what have you, you only get to enhance one.

I'd suggest something that gives you DR/Magic, or increases all your DR that is defeated by something (ie. not DR/-) by 3 should you already have damage reduction. The improved DR mutation in the Elemental section is fine.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2013-03-03 at 12:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, the damage reduction mutation is weird. It doesn't allow you to progress any damage reduction except those pierced by magic, which means most racial DR simply can't be enhanced by it. (A particularly stupid DM might not even allow you to progress the DR granted by it once you have one of the mutations that adds an additional qualifier to it, because by technicality that means that it's no longer pierced by just magic.) Also, it can only progress one type of DR at a time, so if you end up with different types of DR from race, class, feats, what have you, you only get to enhance one.

I'd suggest something that gives you DR/Magic, or increases all your DR that is defeated by something (ie. not DR/-) by 3 should you already have damage reduction. The improved DR mutation in the Elemental section is fine.
    I have just added a huge special entry to adress this.

Blargh.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #411

BardGuy

There is a (honestly really OP) modified evolutionist game where the PCs are superheros in modern day if anyone is interested.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post14846080

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    There is a (honestly really OP) modified evolutionist game where the PCs are superheros in modern day if anyone is interested.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post14846080
    One extra mutation per level is a considerable boost but not really OP. The teratomorph substitution mechanic may be troublesome, however.

The Limitless mutation is a huge (and frankly pointless) sink - edit or at best a method for acquiring a later ability early. The Skill Boost mutation is a massive sink that is objectively inferior to a most skill mutations or the ability score increase mutations. The Mimic acf is... Kind of a boring class feature, all said.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-03-07 at 09:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    One extra mutation per level is a considerable boost but not really OP. The teratomorph substitution mechanic may be troublesome, however.

The Limitless mutation is a huge (and frankly pointless) sink - edit or at best a method for acquiring a later ability early. The Skill Boost mutation is a massive sink that is objectively inferior to a most skill mutations or the ability score increase mutations. The Mimic acf is... Kind of a boring class feature, all said.
    I submitted a character for that game and came to the same conclusions.

We're doing 1st level characters, and I picked up Limitless to grab a mutation unavailable until 2nd. Next level, that is obviously the mutation I'll be trading out since I will no longer need it to qualify for the mutation. In the end, it's effectively pointless, but it did give a tiny power boost to my 1st level guy by giving me a decent ranged attack I wouldn't have otherwise had. It's not something I would recommend including in other games though.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-03-07 at 12:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

24. - Top - End - #414

BardGuy

I'm personally using limitless to get +14 to each mental skill and + 14 to each check (as opposed to +7). It also lets someone have 40 SLAs. Granted, the DM is approving all uses of limitless to this effect as far as I am aware (As in if I wanted 40 major combat powers, it would be disallowed. I'm taking positive energy effects and psychic stuff [not win buttons], so I've been given more leeway.) so it shouldn't get too out of hand. So, yeah I think you may have misunderstood limitless.

25. - Top - End - #415

Limitless was more intended for one trick ponies who have something in their concept not easily modeled using the current mutations. It can be taken twice per level and may apply to itself. It's intended for overspecialized people too.
    The teratomorphism exchange is tentative, but it feels like the current batch of players can handle it.
    I had some other ideas for the mimic ACF, including one where they gain a portfolio of mutations to choose from based on previous copied abilities, but I lost that.
    Skill boost is there for the skills specific to d20 modern, and not much else. Increasing it might be a good idea, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbacz
    For some people, at-will non-mundane martial abilities = wuxia anime = MMOs = 4E = Hitler = dead kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic is silly, and has little place in the real world.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm personally using limitless to get +14 to each mental skill and + 14 to each check (as opposed to +7). It also lets someone have 40 SLAs. Granted, the DM is approving all uses of limitless to this effect as far as I am aware (As in if I wanted 40 major combat powers, it would be disallowed. I'm taking positive energy effects and psychic stuff [not win buttons], so I've been given more leeway.) so it shouldn't get too out of hand. So, yeah I think you may have misunderstood limitless.
    You won't manage to do it.

To get that +14* to each mental skill you will need a Mutator level of 37 for each of the three mutations that improve your mental ability scores. Which means 17 instances of Limitless for each, to a total of 51 mutations spent on Limitless, followed by 42 mutations spent on the relevant mental ability score enhancers. Totaling 93 mutations. This is well within the potential maximum for the evolutionist before the 20 mutation boost, but leaves a relatively minimal ammount of mutations for other purposes.

All in all, it is quite simply too much expense for too little gain.

*The actual gain is +21 due to the bonus from the increased ability score modifier.

I'm not saying that limitless isn't useable. It certainly is. But for the most part it really isn't good as anything more than an early-access enabler, like that one Binder feat.

For your skill boost one, I recommend making sets of mutations that boost 2-3 thematically linked skills following the same overall mechanics as the skill booster mutations already in the Innate List, such as Pheromones and Extra Senses.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #417

BardGuy

You won't manage to do it.

To get that +14* to each mental skill you will need a Mutator level of 37 for each of the three mutations that improve your mental ability scores. Which means 17 instances of Limitless for each, to a total of 51 mutations spent on Limitless, followed by 42 mutations spent on the relevant mental ability score enhancers. Totaling 93 mutations. This is well within the potential maximum for the evolutionist before the 20 mutation boost, but leaves a relatively minimal ammount of mutations for other purposes.

All in all, it is quite simply too much expense for too little gain.

*The actual gain is +21 due to the bonus from the increased ability score modifier.

I'm not saying that limitless isn't useable. It certainly is. But for the most part it really isn't good as anything more than an early-access enabler, like that one Binder feat.

For your skill boost one, I recommend making sets of mutations that boost 2-3 thematically linked skills following the same overall mechanics as the skill booster mutations already in the Innate List, such as Pheromones and Extra Senses.
    This is the part you are not getting.

Aside from the +1 mutator level, limitless lets you take each mutation twice (four times with limitless) every time it could normally be taken. So, spending one mutation on limitless, I get +2 int at first level and every three levels thereafter (if I keep taking two each time).

edit: Just noticed the DM re-wrote limitless, taking that aspect out. Forget what I said about being op, then.
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-03-07 at 09:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418

BardGuy

Just checking, are there mutation slots, or just one mass of mutations? I just realized I've been assuming mutation slots, but I don't think so anymore.

If its not mutation slots, as I thought it was, than, for example, someone with no SLA mutation at first level could take two SLA mutations at second level.

If it is mutation slots, than one could only have 20 SLA mutations if they had taken them at each level, or retrained mutations from past level (though never the same level) that did not previously contain SLA mutations.

Almost positive I've been thinking about it wrong this whole time now...

Edit: as an additional note, that aspect of limitless was never supposed to be in there in the first place, and either it was very poorly worded origionally or I just grossly misread it followed by miscommunication between me and Arkhaic while talking about it.

of course I think of this when I'm working on level 17 of my character...
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-03-09 at 05:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Just checking, are there mutation slots, or just one mass of mutations? I just realized I've been assuming mutation slots, but I don't think so anymore.

If its not mutation slots, as I thought it was, than, for example, someone with no SLA mutation at first level could take two SLA mutations at second level.

If it is mutation slots, than one could only have 20 SLA mutations if they had taken them at each level, or retrained mutations from past level (though never the same level) that did not previously contain SLA mutations.

Almost positive I've been thinking about it wrong this whole time now...

Edit: as an additional note, that aspect of limitless was never supposed to be in there in the first place, and either it was very poorly worded origionally or I just grossly misread it followed by miscommunication between me and Arkhaic while talking about it.

of course I think of this when I'm working on level 17 of my character...
    Just a mass of mutations.

There are slots in the Construct Perfection, but they don't work the way you described.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

30. - Top - End - #420

BardGuy

Just a mass of mutations.

There are slots in the Construct Perfection, but they don't work the way you described.
    -sigh- Yeah, that's what I figured. Don't know why I thought mutation slots. On the bright side, I have to do A LOT less fanagling to get the abilities I want, when I want them. On the down side, I have to redo almost everything I've done so far...