New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

Spoiler: Rizban megapost
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Even applying the bonus 20% retroactively on all hp increases, I'm only getting up to 285.

Calculating it out per level, I'm coming up with 270hp, starting with 10 Con and full in both mutations, assuming earliest possible acquisition of each mutation. Note that I do not include normal level up increases in Con mod.

{table=head]Level|Total|Calc|Mutations|Notes
    1|15|(8 + 1 + 4) * 1.2|Resilient Form, Evolve Resilience|(HD+Con+ER) + 20%
    2|20|4 + 1||HD+Con
    3|26|5 + 1|
    4|42|(26 + 4 + 1 + 4) * 1.2|Evolve Resilience|(Current+HD+Con+ER) + 20%
    5|48|5 + 1|
    6|53|4 + 1|
    7|84|(53 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 6) * 1.2|Resilient Form, Evolve Resilience|(Current+HD+Con+ER+retroactive hp from Con increase) + 20%
    8|90|4 + 2|
    9|97|5 + 2|
    10|128|(97 + 4 + 2 + 4) * 1.2|Evolve Resilience|(Current+HD+Con+ER) + 20%
    11|135|5 + 2|
    12|141|4 + 2|
    13|198|(141 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 12) * 1.2|Resilient Form, Evolve Resilience|(Current+HD+Con+ER+retroactive hp from Con increase) + 20%
    14|205|4 + 3|
    15|213|5 + 3|
    16|220|4 + 3|
    17|228|5 + 3|
    18|235|4 + 3|
    19|262|5 + 4 + 18|Resilient Form|HD+Con+retroactive hp from Con increase
    20|270|4 + 4[/table]

Starting with a reasonable 14 in Con increases the average hp total to 327, while 18 Con gives 384.

Edit: The way the math works, for a level 20 build, it's best to take the two at the same level and to take Evolve Resilience as early as possible while keeping at least one available for use at each level you take Resilient Form. Moving the level 10 ER to level 19 increases the final hp total to 291.

Also, since hp is calculated differently for higher starting levels, you'll get wildly different hp totals with ER depending on your starting level!

You are only adding the 20% bonus to the current HP of the level it was gained at it seems. You should calculate the hit points as normal and then add an extra on top of it that is based on the current base total.

Basically you find the percentage bonus after you determine the hit point total and recalculate whenever that hit point total changes.

To put in a different perspective, this is supposed to balance somewhat against Displacement, whose average effect at full power (50%) is to effectively double total health.
    Last edited by Draken; 2014-01-23 at 11:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

You should make it a lot clearer how exactly the 20% extra applies, because right now there is no wording in the ability to indicate any particular interpretation over another.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

There, I think that the line I just added to it does the trick.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    You are only adding the 20% bonus to the current HP of the level it was gained at it seems. You should calculate the hit points as normal and then add an extra on top of it that is based on the current base total.

Basically you find the percentage bonus after you determine the hit point total and recalculate whenever that hit point total changes.

To put in a different perspective, this is supposed to balance somewhat against Displacement, whose average effect at full power (50%) is to effectively double total health.
    I am adding the 20% to total current hit points. Look at that math again.

For example, level 4 is "(26 + 4 + 1 + 4) * 1.2"
    That's the 26 hit points from 3rd level, +4 from 4th level, +1 from Con mod, +4 from Evolve Resilience, all combined and increased by 20%.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2014-01-23 at 01:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The old one was simplier. Besides, if you wanted to buff it, why not just increase HD size for every X number of times it was taken?
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so, with the new change, taking that mutation means that you'll have to do extra math on every single level, making sure you're applying the correct retroactive bonuses across levels. You're going to need a spreadsheet to make sure this the hit points come out correctly...

Edit: In the vein of what Grimsage Matt said, you could simplify it quite a bit by just making it equivalent to Improved Toughness, i.e. 1hp per HD. Taking it a additional times increases that to 2/HD, then 3/HD, etc. If you feel that isn't significant enough, you could set it to 1hp per HD + a one time bonus equal to Con mod or +4 or whatever.

Maybe 3hp+1hp/HD would work? Taking it 5x gets you from 93 to 208. That's a fairly significant jump. That's about a 124% increase.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2014-01-23 at 01:48 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, so, with the new change, taking that mutation means that you'll have to do extra math on every single level, making sure you're applying the correct retroactive bonuses across levels. You're going to need a spreadsheet to make sure this the hit points come out correctly...

Edit: In the vein of what Grimsage Matt said, you could simplify it quite a bit by just making it equivalent to Improved Toughness, i.e. 1hp per HD. Taking it a additional times increases that to 2/HD, then 3/HD, etc. If you feel that isn't significant enough, you could set it to 1hp per HD + a one time bonus equal to Con mod or +4 or whatever.

Maybe 3hp+1hp/HD would work? Taking it 5x gets you from 93 to 208. That's a fairly significant jump. That's about a 124% increase.
    Yeah. I am reverting this change with a simple +3 added to the front in the mutation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any chance of a +X mutator level feat? Ala Practiced Manifester or Caster.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Is there any chance of a +X mutator level feat? Ala Practiced Manifester or Caster.
    I suggested one quite a bit earlier, but it got strongly vetoed.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

I suggested one quite a bit earlier, but it got strongly vetoed.
    I vaguely recall that. Why such a strong veto though? Surely +2 Mutator level up to HD wouldn't break anything.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe it has to do with how limitations are handled on individual mutations, which currently assumes MuL=Class Level. Imagine if Practiced Spellcaster gave you higher level spells.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

12. - Top - End - #822
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Practised Spellcaster is more a question to a Game Master in the first place. IF you game master wants to allow you to take it and effect mutator levels....well..

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I believe it has to do with how limitations are handled on individual mutations, which currently assumes MuL=Class Level. Imagine if Practiced Spellcaster gave you higher level spells.
    Practiced Manifester on an ardent does. Also, mutations are far and away not equal to higher level spells.

EDIT: You could also limit it to only a small boost.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2014-01-25 at 03:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm guessing it isn't intentional to allow for people to use improved grab and constrict at long range with spines.

Does create a cool image though....
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-01-26 at 04:50 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I'm guessing it isn't intentional to allow for people to use improved grab and constrict at long range with spines.

Does create a cool image though....
    The long range doesn't last. The moment you win the grapple check you are pulled into your target's space, presumably by tendrils attached to the spines.

It does create a pretty awesome image, yes. To do actual Ranged Grappling you would need the Ranged Pin feat which is... Not great.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

16. - Top - End - #826
    Orc in the Playground

The long range doesn't last. The moment you win the grapple check you are pulled into your target's space, presumably by tendrils attached to the spines.

It does create a pretty awesome image, yes. To do actual Ranged Grappling you would need the Ranged Pin feat which is... Not great.
    that actually sounds like a great way to travel

17. - Top - End - #827

I'm seeing more like Scorpion's "Get over here!" thing.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I'm seeing more like Scorpion's "Get over here!" thing.
    Except you are the one who gets over there because grappling involves you moving into the space of your target instead of pulling them into yours, for whatever reason.

Actually, lets make a feat to deal with that. Edit: Drag (General feat) added.
    Last edited by Draken; 2014-01-26 at 06:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #829
    Pixie in the Playground

Why are the ability score increases (Nimble Form and the like) Innate rather than Basic? The mechanical distinction between a Basic and an Innate mutation is that Innate mutations are suppressed when you change shape, but the ability score increases have special text to not be suppressed. I get that Innate mutations are supposed to make physical changes, and the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution ones have a good reason to do so, but the mental ability scores (the Superior _____ mutations) aren't any more tied to your physical body than, say, your Fort save, which is a Basic mutation.

I know that moving them from Innate to Basic and removing the special text wouldn't change any rules, but it just feels better-organized.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malcador View Post
    Why are the ability score increases (Nimble Form and the like) Innate rather than Basic? The mechanical distinction between a Basic and an Innate mutation is that Innate mutations are suppressed when you change shape, but the ability score increases have special text to not be suppressed. I get that Innate mutations are supposed to make physical changes, and the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution ones have a good reason to do so, but the mental ability scores (the Superior _____ mutations) aren't any more tied to your physical body than, say, your Fort save, which is a Basic mutation.

I know that moving them from Innate to Basic and removing the special text wouldn't change any rules, but it just feels better-organized.
    It has other purposes. I have been toying with other mutation-granting classes and the Basic ones, which mostly deal with the basic chassis of a class, always cause problems in the conceptual stage when I try to make a mechanic that grants heavy use of variable mutations (the Malshaper notwithstanding, it is somewhat of a relic of design and probably overpowered).

Also, the mental ability score boosters will only not affect your appearance if you chose that to be so. It is very easy to make them have an effect (a larger brain being the easy, cheap way to do it).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #831
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, lets make a feat to deal with that. Edit: Drag (General feat) added.
    What about making it a fighter bonus feat? I know it's not gonna make a big difference, but that's just something I think would make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

I rather like the Drag feat. If not for the fact that you can only grapple within certain size categories, I would so put it on a pixie and use it to throw dragons around... Now to figure out a way to grapple and ignore size category limits...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #833

EDIT: Don't use this, it's a crappy quick cut and paste job. A better thought out Grafting class for Mutations can be found here.

Firstly, what happens if your a construct mutator and you get a throwing weapon incorporated into your arm?

Second, here's a modified Xenoalchemist to work with the mutation system rather than grafts Kellus made. No idea on the true balance.

The Physician
    "A chainsaw can remove a limb.... or act as a replacement."

In a world full of scheming fiends, tentacled horrors, and dragons, humanoids might seem abit.... anatomically ill-equipped. Humanoids often don't have inbuilt armour or weapons, but with abit of biollurgical know how that can be changed.

The physician is an individual with knowledge on a specific field of biollurgy known as xenobiollurgy; but doesn't use it to create life instead they work on modifying existing life. They excel in healing the sick, improving the weak, and augmenting the strong.

Despite their focus in a field of biollurgy they do not gain true gramaric knowledge, instead they may use xenobiollurgy to create things known as Grafts. Grafts could be harvested from a fallen beast (or foe), created from biostructure, or just be procedures to stimulate mutation and growth to the creature's existing body parts without anything added except maybe a scary needle or two.

The appearance of a graft is similarly mutable, having it's appearance as anything that it could reasonably be (with reason determined by you and your GM).

Hit Die: d6
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Skills: A physician's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana, dungeoneering, local, nature, religion, the Planes) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Cha), and Survival (Wis).

The Physician
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Graft Level
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Field research, harvest, medical journal, surgical precision +1d6, xenobiollurgy|1
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Bedside manner +1, postop procedure, thesis monster|1
    3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Accurate analysis, surgical precision +2d6|1
    4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Combat medic, thesis monster|1
    5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Augment grafts, surgical precision +3d6|2
    6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Battlefield diagnosis, thesis monster|2
    7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Steady hand, surgical precision +4d6|2
    8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Back on their feet, thesis monster|2
    9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Bedside manner +2, surgical precision +5d6|3
    10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Greater grafts, thesis monster|3
    11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Attack its weak point for massive damage, surgical precision +6d6|3
    12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Emergency action, thesis monster|3
    13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Surgical precision +7d6, waste not want not|4
    14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Advanced cryogenics, thesis monster|4
    15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Conjoined grafts, surgical precision +8d6|4
    16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Always on call, bedside manner +3, thesis monster|4
    17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Greater augmented grafts, surgical precision +9d6|5
    18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Autoimmunity, thesis monster|5
    19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Medical mastery, surgical precision +10d6|5
    20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Thesis monster, true monsters gift|5
    [/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the physician.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A physician is proficient with all simple weapons and light armour. They are not proficient with any kind of shield.

Field Research (Ex): As a trained physician you can quickly identify, catalog, and analyze pieces of monsters which make them so dangerous. Field research remains requires two minutes of work with a helpless creature or recently dead (within one hour) corpse.

You must make a Knowledge check relating to the monster's type. The relevant Knowledge skill required is described under the uses of Knowledge, and the DC is the same as the DC for identifying that creature would be. You can always attempt these checks, even untrained thanks to your broad training in general monstrous physiology.

If the Knowledge check is successful, the GM shall describe to you the general creature being researched. When not asking specifically, this consists of informing you about supernatural and extraordinary abilities, breath weapons, natural weapons, movement modes, and so on. This might seem a little vague, but you can always request particular information about if a specific mutation can be granted by the monster.

The mutations available for research, are mutations that either match the creature (Natural attack [Claws] mutation from a creature with a claw attack), any the creature has abilities that are very similar to a mutation (Natural attack [Piercing Tail] mutation from a creature with a stinger or detect thoughts psi-like ability from a creature with telepathy), or finally mutations that just seem appropriate (such as Evolve speed from a cheetah) though care is required with this.

Harvest (Ex): If there is a piece of a monster you have just examined with field research you wish to harvest for research, you may cut that piece out. You can only harvest mutations if you currently have access to grafts of that level.

Once you decide which mutation of the monster you want make a Heal check at the same DC as field research. If successful you manage to procure the material needed for research. The material is usable for study for about three days. If it's not used before then it begins to go rancid and becomes unusable unless you store it in a freezing environment (time spent in such a state effectively pauses the time limit).

If the Heal check is unsuccessful you cannot try again to harvest that mutation from the monster, but you can attempt additional mutations that you find useful as long as they wouldn't be from the same body part (Can't harvest suction cup hands if you failed at harvesting the creatures claw attack). If you successfully harvest one, however, the rest of the monster becomes contaminated and unusable.

You can store as many of these monster pieces as you want, but the GM should decide on their weight and the space required to store them based on the monster they came from.

As long as it hasn't become unusable, any physician can spend a 1d10 hours (rolled the first time someone tries to study the piece) with the piece to figure out how to apply it's benefits to a creature. If this time is interrupted it must be started again, but once complete the piece is rendered useless and the physician gains knowledge on how to apply that graft for one week (though they may write the knowledge into a book as normal).

Medical Journal: A physician starts with knowledge of how to apply three mutations as grafts, these can't be basic mutations or have a prerequisite mutator level higher than 4. With every new level of physician you learn how to apply two additional mutations as grafts.

Physicians may write down the procedure on how to apply any mutations you possess grafting knowledge of into a book, so that others may apply it. This takes 10 minutes of writing per page and graft knowledge takes up one page per it's minimum graft level.

Just reading the procedure of applying a graft doesn't grant knowledge on how to bestow mutation as a graft, instead you can apply any mutation as a graft that you don't know as long as you have the pages for reference as you perform the procedure and still have the correct mutator level. Performing xenobiollurgy in this way takes three times longer than it normally would.

Physicians can never gain knowledge on any basic mutations.

Surgical Precision (Ex): Although a physician is a lover not a fighter, he's trained in physiology and can quickly determine how a monster's body is put together. As a swift action you can study a creature within 30ft. of you. You immediately make a Knowledge check, as if identifying the creature. If the check passes then the next successful weapon attack you make against that creature within the following three rounds deals an extra +1d6 damage. This damage is precision-based, which means it is not effective against creatures without a discernible anatomy or who are immune to effects such as sneak attacks or critical hits.

At 3rd level, and every second level thereafter the extra damage granted by this ability increases by +1d6.

Xenobiollurgy (Ex): Once you have knowledge of a mutation you can attach it to a living being or mutate someone to have that graft. The target must either be willing or helpless for the duration of the procedure in order to perform the graft and must meet the prerequisites of the mutation (except for mutator level and specific type). The procedure requires 1d3 hours + 1/2 hour per graft level. You can attach a graft to yourself, but you must make a DC 20 Constitution check to endure operating on your own body. If you fail this skill check the time for the operation is wasted and you take 1 constitution damage.

The mutator level of a graft's mutation is up to your physician level (minimum 1), and if the mutator level of a graft would be high enough for it to allow for it to be taken multiple times.

The mutator level of a graft determines it's level, with 1-4 being level 1, 5-8 being level 2, 9-12 level 3, 13-16 being level 4, 17-20 being level 5. If a mutation has a prerequisite mutator level, then it can't be applied by you as a graft until you can apply that level of graft.

Grafts take up a body slot, which is chosen when the graft is being applied. The body slot must match the physical manifestation of graft, and is subject to the GM's discretion. A graft taking up a body slot do not stop someone from wearing a magic item or forming a soulmeld in the same slot. You cannot have two grafts in the same body slot.

Furthermore, a creature can only have at any one time a number of grafts equal to 1 + their Constitution modifier (minimum 1) (constitution increases from mutations do not count for this). If a creature's Constitution is reduced so that they can no longer hold their current grafts the grafts are rejected, starting with the most recently acquired. Rejected grafts are destroyed, and all benefits they confer are lost. A creature can only have a single 5th level graft at a time.

A physician can remove a graft at a later point, either to replace it with a mundane body part (treated as a level 0 graft) or to make way for a different graft. This may or may not impose a penalty at the GM's discretion.

Performing xenobiollurgy requires access to basic medical equipment (which might include things like bandages, knives, electroshock therapy, and so on at the player's discretion). If you would also like to make a loud ka-chunk sound effect as you perform the operation you may do so as you see fit.

Bedside Manner (Ex): As a medical professional you're expected to remain calm and in control at all times. At 2nd level you gain a +1 bonus on all Fortitude saves, and you can use a calm emotions effect on yourself at will with a caster level equal to your Hit Dice. This bonus increases to +2 at 9th level and +3 at 16th level.

Postop Procedure (Ex): The initial operation is only the beginning. A graft's effects are often based on the level of the physician. Since a physician might increase in level after the procedure has been performed, it's nice to have the graft increase in power along with the surgeon's skills. Beginning at 2nd level as a ten minute procedure you can touch up a graft so that the mutator level of the graft is adjusted to your current physician level.

Thesis Monster (Ex): Your studies take you far and wide, and you'll end up seeing a lot of monsters. At 2nd level and every 2nd level thereafter you can select a thesis monster type. In order to pick a thesis monster type, you must have successfully analysed at least two monsters of that type previously with field research. Choosing a thesis monster gives you access to a special technique. If the technique requires a saving throw, the Difficulty Class is 10 + 1/2 your physician level + your Intelligence modifier. You can only use a single thesis monster technique on an attack, and you must choose which one to use before declaring the attack roll.

Accurate Analysis (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level whenever you use your surgical precision class feature you can add your Intelligence modifier to the attack roll in addition to the normal ability modifier.

Combat Medic (Ex): Starting at 4th level you're adept at providing medical attention to your allies in tight conditions. By making a successful Heal check (DC 10 + their HD) as a standard action you can remove all nonlethal damage on an adjacent ally or heal them 1 hit point per class level. You can only provide this benefit to an ally once every three hours. You can treat yourself with this ability, but within the same time restriction. This ability provokes attacks of opportunity.

Augment Grafts: Sometimes it's easier to modify an existing graft than to place a new one. After reaching 5th level, whenever the physician would apply a graft to a creature that has one of creatures existing grafts as a prerequisite you may have the new graft share the body slot with the existing graft.

Unlike normal, augmented grafts do not have the mutator level of half the physicians level, instead the physician must choose one or more mutator levels from the primary graft to grant to the augmented graft, the primary graft drops by that amount and the augmented graft is set to that amount. This cannot reduce the primary graft below one mutator level.

Each body slot can only have one augmenting graft. Each augmented graft still counts to the creatures maximum number of grafts their body can manage.

At 17th level, they can place up to two augmenting grafts in a body slot.

Battlefield Diagnosis (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, whenever you succeed on an attack with your surgical precision class feature, you automatically analyse the target for harvesting with the Field Research ability. Also, the time required to harvest materials from that monster drops to only a single standard action now that you know just what to take.

Steady Hand (Ex): Beginning at 7th level your skills with the knife progress. Thanks to your razor calm you can salvage the worst situations. If you botch the Heal check to remove a piece of a monster you can retry the check by taking an additional ten minutes.

Back On Their Feet (Ex): Beginning at 8th level when you successfully treat someone with your combat medic class feature you provide far more than a few bandages. With the whole of your medical expertise you can also allow them to make a new saving throw against any ongoing condition affecting them. You can now provide aid to a given creature once per hour.

Greater Grafts: By 10th level a physician's area of expertise grows to applying grafts which much more powerful effects than normal. At 10th level and every three levels thereafter, you may select one Teratomorphism that has a teratomorph level equal to or lower level to the grafts you can create.

You may apply these selected teratomorphisms as grafts as if they were mutations, with their teratomorph level equaling their graft level. Graft teratormorphism do not count when determining how many teratormorphism's the creature has. For the purpose of these grafts, you are counted as having as many teratomorphisms an evolutionist of half your Hit Dice would have.

A creature can't gain the benefits of a teratormorphism graft more than once, unless it is a different stage of the same teratormorphism or it specifically says you can take it multiple times. For example, you can't graft a Commoner to have 2 Living Bastions, but you could give your friend Size Increase 1 and Size increase 2.

Attack its Weak Point for Massive Damage (Ex): No matter how big or tough a monster is, there's always a vulnerability. Starting at level 11, whenever you deliver a surgical precision attack the enemy's natural armour bonus to AC is reduced by the number of extra damage dice you deal (to a minimum of +0 natural armour). This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until the target is subject to a regeneration effect. If the target has the regeneration special ability, the bonus returns at the start of your next turn. This effect stacks with itself, and thus can be used multiple times against the same enemy.

Emergency Action (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, you can use your combat medic class feature to save an ally a lesser surgeon might have lost. If you can perform this ability on an ally who has died within two rounds of their death you can bring them back from the brink with no penalty. Your combat medic ability now heals 2 hit points per class level and can be used on a given creature once every ten minutes.

In addition, your surgical precision class feature can now be used at a distance of 60ft.

Waste Not Want Not (Ex): Starting at 13th level you have learned how to more carefully remove monster bits so as to more efficiently get what you want. You can harvest up to two mutations from a given creature before the entire thing becomes unusable.

Advanced Cryogenics (Ex): Starting at 14th level you have devised a special technique which preserves body parts indefinitely. Your monster parts no longer go bad after three days, and instead can be kept around as long as you please.

Conjoined Grafts (Ex): Upon reaching 15th level you have mastered the art of fusing two disparate grafts together. You can now attach up to two grafts to the same body slot.

Always on Call (Ex): Beginning at 16th level you can provide aid to your allies perpetually with your combat medic class feature. You can now use the ability as often as you like.

Autoimmunity (Ex): Starting at 18th level your body is now used to changing conditions and wildly different states of being. Whenever you receive energy damage you can activate this ability as an immediate action to gain immunity to that energy type (after receiving the initial damage). The effect lasts until you change to a different energy type.

Medical Mastery (Ex): Starting at 19th level you're a master of life and death, and probably the best doctor in the world. Whenever you use your combat medic class feature you restore the target to full hit points plus an additional ten percent temporary hit points.

True Monsters Gift (Ex): A physician of 20th level has reached the pinnacle of his craft. You may select a single creature type, and then apply that creature type's Mutant Ascendancy as a graft.

Grafts of this type cannot be written into a book and count as 6th level grafts (which the physician can apply despite lacking access to 6th level grafts).

If a creature has a Ascendancy graft in addition to another ability which changes their type (such as the actual Mutant Ascendancy ability), they both are active and the individual counts as whichever would benefit them in the situation. A creature can only have one ascendancy graft at a time.

---------------------

Thesis Monsters
    Spoiler
    Show
    An Inside Job [Outsiders]: As planar intruders, outsiders remain fundamentally tied to their home Plane. You can use this to your advantage. With a successful surgical precision attack against a monster native to another Plane you can attempt to cut their astral connection to the Prime Material. In order to use this ability you must be wielding a silver weapon and be on the Material Plane. The target must make a Will save or be subject to a dismissal effect. This technique upgrades to a banishment effect at 13 HD. In addition, you gain 5 false Hit Dice for the purposes of any effects such as holy word whose effects are based on the number of Hit Dice you possess. You also gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (the Planes) checks. You must have 7 HD to select this technique.

Arcane Intervention [Magical Beasts]: Magical beasts are some of the only beasts in nature to turn the forces of magic against humanoids. Luckily you know how their arcane magic moves around their bodies. With a successful surgical precision attack against a creature with one or more spell-like abilities you can disrupt one of them. You can either select a spell-like ability you know the creature has or let the DM select one by chance or by decee. After you make your decision, the monster loses one charge of the ability. If the ability selected is at-will, the monster instead cannot use it until the start of your next turn. A successful Will save avoids this effect. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.

Black Thumb [Plants]: Plants aren't any less complex than humanoids, just different. You've spent enough time dissecting monstrous vegetation to see just what's going on in there. You can now deal precision damage to plants. With a successful surgical precision attack you can disrupt an enemy's fast healing. The target must make a Fortitude save or stop recovering health for the following 5 rounds. At 17 HD this effect upgrades, now disrupting regeneration for the duration of the effect (although this version only lasts for 1 round). In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks.

Deconstructionism [Constructs]: After spending some time rooting around inside of clockwork creatures you know what makes them... TICK. You can now deal precision damage against constructs. With a successful surgical precision attack against a mindless construct you can instill new arcang programming in it. Give one plain English sentence command of ten words or less to the construct, which will attempt to follow it to the best of its ability. This effect (the second) lasts for 3 rounds, at which point the construct's innate programming will overwrite your command. In addition, you gain 25% fortification, as well as a +2 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.

Faerie Tail Collector [Fey]: The fae are sly and subtle folk who slip into our world sideways. You must have had a heck of a time finding a few to dissect, but it's paying off now. If you make a successful surgical precision attack against a shapeshifted creature you force it to resume its normal form. This covers anything from illusory glamours (such as alter self) all the way up to major shapechanging (lycanthropy, shapechange, and so on). A Will save avoids this effect. In addition, you gain damage reduction 5/cold iron and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks. You must have 11 HD to select this technique.

Monstrous Manhunter [Monstrous Humanoids]: Monstrous humanoids come in all shapes and sizes, and have a variety of weaknesses. You've had a chance to look at how they derive these special protections, and have found some methods to circumvent them. When you deliver a successful surgical precision attack against a creature with damage reduction the damage reduction is reduced by the number of extra damage dice your attack carries. This penalty lasts for the duration of the encounter, but does not stack with itself for multiple uses. A succesful Fortitude save negates this effect. In addition, you can select any two languages spoken by monstrous humanoids to immediately learn and also gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks.

Primordial Precision [Elementals]: You have discerned the way elemental energies bind together into living entities, and in turn can unbind them. You can now deal precision damage against elemental enemies. If you make a successful surgical precision attack you can disable one of the following abilities in an enemy: burn, push, vortex, or whirlwind. If the enemy possesses one of these abilities they must make a Fortitude save or lose access to the ability until they spend a move action reassembling their elemental components. In addition, you gain fire and cold resistance 5 and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (the Planes) checks.

Rest in Pieces [Undead]: Undead may not have working metabolisms anymore, but pure negative energy sustains them instead. By interrupting the flow of this energy you can disable their function. You can now deal precision damage against undead enemies. If you make a successful surgical precision attack against a mindless undead you can disconnect their necrotic senses, causing them to be stunned until the beginning of your next turn. A successful Will save avoids this effect, even though mindless creatures are normally immune to any effect requiring a Will save and undead are normally immune to stunning. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on saves against death effects and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (religion) checks.

Take Your Breath Away [Dragons]: With a successful surgical precision attack against a monster with a breath weapon you can remove the monster's ability to use it. The target must make a Fortitude save or have their breath weapon be used up, with the normal recharge time. If the breath weapon doesn't have a recharge time, the monster must instead wait 1d4 rounds before using it again. This technique cannot be used if the monster doesn't have a breath weapon available to use. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on Reflex saves and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.

The Bigger They Are [Giants]: You can turn the tables on the big folk and bring them to their knees. With a successful surgical precision attack you can cut vital tendons and ligaments in big creatures (at least one size categories bigger than yourself). The target must make a Fortitude save or have their base land speed cut in half and lose one attack of opportunity each round. This effect lasts for 5 rounds or until the start of your next turn if the target has the regeneration special ability. In addition, you gain a +4 bonus on defending grapple checks and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks.

They Call Me the Exterminator [Vermin]: Some people kill vampires. You kill rats. Maybe not as glamourous, but someone's got to do it. You're definitely not messing around, though. You know how to get the job done even when the place is crawling with pests. You deal full damage to swarms with all weapon attacks and can even deal precision damage to swarms. In addition, you are immune to distraction and gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks.

Unknowable Amputation [Aberrations]: You've put your sanity at risk by examining the horrific beings that come from the Far Realms, and you've gleaned a few scraps of knowledge from the ordeal. You've begun to see a reason to the madness, and can discern the way these beings bend reality to their will. With a successful surgical precision attack you can fight back, damaging an aberration in such a way that it loses access to a single supernatural ability of your choice. Unlike other such effects you must name the ability you would like to disable. If you choose an ability the creature does not possess this effect is wasted. However, if you correctly guess a supernatural ability which the creature has in its repertoire they must make a Fortitude save or lose access to the ability until they are subject to a regenerate effect (you're basically slicing off the body part which activates the power). If you don't know the name of the ability you can describe its effects, but it must be sufficiently specific to convince the DM that you know what you're talking about. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus to your AC against rays and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) checks. You must have 13 HD to select this technique.

Wasting Slime [Oozes]: Oozes are some of the creepiest and weirdest creatures out there, since nobody really knows what they are. Except you, of course. Thanks to your long study of the ooze anatomy you have discerned some vital components to its internal operation. You can now deal precision damage to oozes. With a successful surgical precision attack against a creature with the split special ability you can remove its ability to split until the start of your next turn. There is no save to avoid this effect. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on saves against paralysis and being engulfed. You also gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) checks.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-02-27 at 11:36 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #834
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

The above class is interesting, but I feel like you posted it in the wrong thread, Milo. What does xenoalchemy or biollurgy have to do with the evolutionist?

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    The above class is interesting, but I feel like you posted it in the wrong thread, Milo. What does xenoalchemy or biollurgy have to do with the evolutionist?
    It's a variant of a class by Kellus that uses mutations (technically no biollurgy is involved, no gramarie there), should probably say Xenobiology to avoid the mistake.

It is noteworthy that as variants go it is considerably stronger than the original due to increased potential options.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #836

BardGuy

It's a variant of a class by Kellus that uses mutations (technically no biollurgy is involved, no gramarie there), should probably say Xenobiology to avoid the mistake.

It is noteworthy that as variants go it is considerably stronger than the original due to increased potential options.
    Ah. I'm busy doing other things (of which Milo knows about) and only skimmed it.

Instead of Xenobiology, maybe Mutatoalchemy? Since you are causing the mutations to occur in a graft slot.

27. - Top - End - #837

The above class is interesting, but I feel like you posted it in the wrong thread, Milo.
    It's actually in both the gramarie thread and this thread.

Xenobiollurgy was because it's designed for use in gramarie campaigns to go along with my other gramarie classes (which I had to edit so that they work with mutation grafts.... seriously... every gramarie class I made had grafts or mutations somewhere in them). Though I could change it as it isn't directly linked to gramarie.

And yeah, I guessed it'd be more powerful because it can have access to basically every one.... Maybe I should put a gold cost for writing down the procedure.

Ah. I'm busy doing other things (of which Milo knows about) and only skimmed it.

Instead of Xenobiology, maybe Mutatoalchemy? Since you are causing the mutations to occur in a graft slot.
    I'd rather Xenobiology to Mutatoalchemy for several reasons, one xeno refers to the fact your using the traits of other creatures to somone, biology because of your using your knowledge of anatomy and physiology to make the change. While mutatoalchemy would be, mutations which only works in referring to the mechanics which are mutations based as it doesn't need to be causing the targets body to mutated, and secondly I never understood what alchemy had to do with grafts.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #838

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I'd rather Xenobiology to Mutatoalchemy for several reasons, one xeno refers to the fact your using the traits of other creatures to somone, biology because of your using your knowledge of anatomy and physiology to make the change. While mutatoalchemy would be, mutations which only works in referring to the mechanics which are mutations based as it doesn't need to be causing the targets body to mutated, and secondly I never understood what alchemy had to do with grafts.
    Well, the alchemy aspect works more with this where you are stimulating the mutation in the target

Also, I've always found Xeno to have far realm implications in D&D, but thats just me.

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand the class. Can it stimulate the growth of mutation grafts or only transplant them? I can't see anything saying that it can stimulate them but some of the rules seem to imply that is the case, such as a mutation graft using every instance of the mutation an evolutionist of equivalent mutator level (compared to Physician level), even though that is not necessarily the case regarding a mutation graft source.

On that note, if it does stimulate mutation (or even if not, but the above mechanic still functions), how does that work with the SLA and PLA mutations which give a different SLA or PLA each time they are taken?

29. - Top - End - #839

Well, the alchemy aspect works more with this where you are stimulating the mutation in the target

Also, I've always found Xeno to have far realm implications in D&D, but thats just me.
    If the mutations was about turning someone into gold, maybe

As for xeno, just means alien so I think it still fits with the whole, attaching foreign traits to someone.

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand the class. Can it stimulate the growth of mutation grafts or only transplant them? I can't see anything saying that it can stimulate them but some of the rules seem to imply that is the case, such as a mutation graft using every instance of the mutation an evolutionist of equivalent mutator level (compared to Physician level), even though that is not necessarily the case regarding a mutation graft source.
    Either, that is flavour and it can be transplanting, creating new limbs from metal, or mutating the individual. Also it does say you can stimulate the growth in it sorta, but I was sleep deprived so I probably didn't word it correctly:
    modifications to the creature's existing body parts without anything added except maybe a scary needle or two.
    Which would be stab with needle, hand mutates into claw.

On that note, if it does stimulate mutation (or even if not, but the above mechanic still functions), how does that work with the SLA and PLA mutations which give a different SLA or PLA each time they are taken?
    The intention was to make it so you don't get more from P/SLA's aside from additional uses. I will fix that issue.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-01-31 at 10:24 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #840

BardGuy

Another thing, I would alter God Will Be Cut to Apotheosis Claimed, letting you harvest ascendance and apotheosis from target creatures and give them as level 6 grafts.