New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1266
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [base class]

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Vestigial Wings answered by Necrotic.

Natural weapons can't be used to improve unarmed strike, however there is a mutation in the plant list that does that.

Also, unarmed strikes explicitly count as natural weapons for the evolutionist. This is clarified in the Improved Unarmed Strike bonus feat.
    <Points his shaking finger at Draken>

You lied to me, Man! In the past I asked if one can use the natural weapons mutation to improve damage of unarmed strike, since it counts as natural weapon, and you were like "Yeah."

I will be judging you silently...

<Puts on his judging hat>
    "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yasahiro View Post
    <Points his shaking finger at Draken>

You lied to me, Man! In the past I asked if one can use the natural weapons mutation to improve damage of unarmed strike, since it counts as natural weapon, and you were like "Yeah."

I will be judging you silently...

<Puts on his judging hat>
    Hmm. Did I say that?

It's been so long since I looked at the text of that mutation that it might be true. I suppose.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

I also have to say, after all this time, that the Ancient Mutant Ascendancy seems kind of like weaksauce. There are not many vile feats and those that are, are situational or impractical. Weak advantage and a strong disadvantage with registering as evil...

Can't it be buffed in any way?

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

I also have to say, after all this time, that the Ancient Mutant Ascendancy seems kind of like weaksauce. There are not many vile feats and those that are, are situational or impractical. Weak advantage and a strong disadvantage with registering as evil...
    The Willing Deformity line has some pretty good ones, including immunity to mind effecting, improved reach, more natural weapons, and scent.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    The Willing Deformity line has some pretty good ones, including immunity to mind effecting, improved reach, more natural weapons, and scent.
    True, but more often than not they carry large penalties to stuff. I mean, don't get me wrong but it feels like ascending into ancient horror should give you something more...

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

True, but more often than not they carry large penalties to stuff. I mean, don't get me wrong but it feels like ascending into ancient horror should give you something more...
    A change I am thinking about implementing in my game is, that the Ancient Mutant Ascendancy removes the penalties from the feats.
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

An RPG I'm working on

Homebrew: Arcane Architect

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for the answers, guys! I'll talk with my dm and see if natural weapons can improve the damage die of my fists. And shoot lightning out of them while I'm at it.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I am 100% certain the answer is no, but I feel I should check anyway. You don't mind me incorporating the Fossen race into the mythos you're building with your Kyorl'Zuraj, do you?

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    I am 100% certain the answer is no, but I feel I should check anyway. You don't mind me incorporating the Fossen race into the mythos you're building with your Kyorl'Zuraj, do you?
    I would need to learn more about the Fossen to give any insight.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #1030

BardGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...3-5-race-PEACH

These are the Fossen. I haven't worked on them in a while but the race you just made has inspired me to make some new content for them. Also, I just meant you wouldn't have a problem with me doing that stuff on my end. I mean, it would be great if you linked to it or something like that after the fact, but that's not what I was asking about.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

If a character has sonic resistance, and thus gets elemental attack and can use elemental lances of sonic variety, or bomb if he wants to... Can he have Force and Verve apply to them, as they could count as sonic effects due to sonic damage?

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

If a character has sonic resistance, and thus gets elemental attack and can use elemental lances of sonic variety, or bomb if he wants to... Can he have Force and Verve apply to them, as they could count as sonic effects due to sonic damage?
    Doing sonic damage doesn't automatically make it a sonic effect. Sonic effects are things like a Harpy's shriek or a mutator's Howl, things that you have to hear to have effect you. Most are also mind-effecting.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Doing sonic damage doesn't automatically make it a sonic effect. Sonic effects are things like a Harpy's shriek or a mutator's Howl, things that you have to hear to have effect you. Most are also mind-effecting.
    Rats. I was hoping it would work.

Edit: Also my main gripe about Ancient Mutant Ascendancy is... Well, Ancient Perfection gives you traits of Elder Horror or Abomination, as if you are becoming one. Most Vile Feats are related to serving a devil or elder evil... You understand me not being okay with it due to that?
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2015-03-11 at 02:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for doublepost.

What are the rules for rocks of various weights thrown using the rock throwing ability? I mean, how much damage do I deal if I throw a 40 pound rock? What if I throw a 200 pound rock?

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for doublepost.

What are the rules for rocks of various weights thrown using the rock throwing ability? I mean, how much damage do I deal if I throw a 40 pound rock? What if I throw a 200 pound rock?
    By default, damage is unrelated to rock weight thrown. This is for the better, because scaling damage to weight is a horrible, horrible idea (as shown by Hulking Hurler builds which needed new forms of mathmatic notation to show how much damage they did), because your slam attack increases linearly with strength, while carrying capacity increases quadratically. If you wanted throwing rocks to do damage by weight, use Rock Throwing to qualify for Hulking Hurler.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Firbolg in the Playground

Draken, would you mind me making use of the Mutation mechanics for a homebrew I am working on? It's called the Vessel and is essentially the harrowed as a mutator class. I figured I'd ask before I try posting it since you're the creator of the mutator system as it stands
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Draken, I was thinking about Expanded Creation...

Expanded Creation [Mutator]
    You have more freedom in what you can create through your seeds.
    Prerequisite: Budding Creation, Mutator level 9.
    Benefit: Whenever you use the Budding Creation mutation, you may create animal matter (flesh, bone, hairs, etc) as if it were vegetable matter.
    Special: If you have access to the Construct mutator list, you also gain the ability to create metals through budding creation. If you have access to the Elemental mutator list, you also gain the ability to create objects made of raw elements with Budding creation, these objects lose consistency and break down into the elements themselves, unless the character creating them has the matching elemental subtype, in which case the object functions normally, despite being made of pure air, water or fire.
    I think the bold part is a bit too strong if left unclarified. What sort of metals can the Evolutionist make? We have to look at it properly. Can they just make a lot of seeds for adamantine 1 foot by 1 foot cubes that will last 24 hours? Or possibly stack them on top of each other? If the Budding creation was taken more than once, they can make more... And I just remembered that the amount of stuff produced by budding creation increases with mutator level...

When combined with Grove to make it remain... basically forever, what stops Evolutionist from having his grove contain an adamantine castle made out of nothing other than budding creation? There is no need to renew it and it can be shaped when using budding creation...

Can you clarify some limits?

I also have to say, the Integrated Arsenal mutation doesn't specify what the weapon has to be made out of. Can it be made out of Evolutionist's resin?
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2015-04-17 at 05:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Draken, would you mind me making use of the Mutation mechanics for a homebrew I am working on? It's called the Vessel and is essentially the harrowed as a mutator class. I figured I'd ask before I try posting it since you're the creator of the mutator system as it stands
    Go for it.

Draken, I was thinking about Expanded Creation...

I think the bold part is a bit too strong if left unclarified. What sort of metals can the Evolutionist make? We have to look at it properly. Can they just make a lot of seeds for adamantine 1 foot by 1 foot cubes that will last 24 hours? Or possibly stack them on top of each other? If the Budding creation was taken more than once, they can make more... And I just remembered that the amount of stuff produced by budding creation increases with mutator level...

When combined with Grove to make it remain... basically forever, what stops Evolutionist from having his grove contain an adamantine castle made out of nothing other than budding creation? There is no need to renew it and it can be shaped when using budding creation...

Can you clarify some limits?

I also have to say, the Integrated Arsenal mutation doesn't specify what the weapon has to be made out of. Can it be made out of Evolutionist's resin?
    Grove is an incredibly potent tool in the hands of anyone. It is also stationary and gives warning to everyone in the area when you start setting it up.

So the PCs have an adamantine castle covering an area with a radius of one mile. Just a one mile radius building of night-indestructible metal. Took the evolutionist quite awhile to build it. But it is damn cool.

Now what.

Is he going to retire to it and laugh at the orcs that try to invade? Is he going to get a huge smug grin in his face whenever a dwarf pops in the border?

I ask again.

Now what?

It is a hard-to-destroy castle. It's not going to break anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

What happens to grown materials when taken outside of the area?
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I assume that the Budding Creation infinite duration would end as soon as it left the Grove, and would revert back to having a normal duration before it just up and disappears.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    What happens to grown materials when taken outside of the area?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapskaen View Post
    I assume that the Budding Creation infinite duration would end as soon as it left the Grove, and would revert back to having a normal duration before it just up and disappears.
    The infinite duration clause does indeed end, but the item is supposed to stay for the duration of a newly made budding creation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #1042

BardGuy

The infinite duration clause does indeed end, but the item is supposed to stay for the duration of a newly made budding creation.
    So, you can grow Adamant armor and weapons, and keep them permanent by storing them in your grove at the end of the day?

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    So, you can grow Adamant armor and weapons, and keep them permanent by storing them in your grove at the end of the day?
    "Structures".

I know it is not technically a system term, but I believe there are certain words that I don't need to apply system terms to because they have meaning given to them by the language.

In that same vein, technically you can't really remove permanent things from the grove and the last explanation was bad. In my defense, I wrote this thing three-four years ago.
    Last edited by Draken; 2015-04-18 at 01:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Go for it.

Grove is an incredibly potent tool in the hands of anyone. It is also stationary and gives warning to everyone in the area when you start setting it up.

So the PCs have an adamantine castle covering an area with a radius of one mile. Just a one mile radius building of night-indestructible metal. Took the evolutionist quite awhile to build it. But it is damn cool.

Now what.

Is he going to retire to it and laugh at the orcs that try to invade? Is he going to get a huge smug grin in his face whenever a dwarf pops in the border?

I ask again.

Now what?

It is a hard-to-destroy castle. It's not going to break anything.
    Here is what you do.

You take levels in Malshaper or anything really.
    You start making creatures with the Spawning Pod feature, or making as many Animated Objects out of Living creation as you can.
    Then you either tell those aberration you made or have as many Animated Objects as you can have outside your grove go and terrorize surrounding villages or places, pillaging them or adding them to your empire.
    And if they try to stop you... your castle is adamantine! True, they can scry on you and teleport... but that's what anathemic secrecy and nondetection are for.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is what you do.

You take levels in Malshaper or anything really.
    You start making creatures with the Spawning Pod feature, or making as many Animated Objects out of Living creation as you can.
    Then you either tell those aberration you made or have as many Animated Objects as you can have outside your grove go and terrorize surrounding villages or places, pillaging them or adding them to your empire.
    And if they try to stop you... your castle is adamantine! True, they can scry on you and teleport... but that's what anathemic secrecy and nondetection are for.
    And out of the blue, the tables are turned. The Player has become the DM. Next session, the player has to setup a whole dungeon and the DM builds a party to invade it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

And out of the blue, the tables are turned. The Player has become the DM. Next session, the player has to setup a whole dungeon and the DM builds a party to invade it.
    I love this idea.

27. - Top - End - #1047

What about the other players? Not talking about adamantine castles - I'm not familiar with grove but stationary fortresses typically aren't an issue IMO - but rather the Malshaper monster creation. A lot of the suggestions for controlling that without tweaking the mechanics still result in the game revolving around a single player.

Would it be fine in some campaigns? Of course. I've been in a campaign where the players decided that finding a high-op hulking hurler to be a cohort's pscicrystal's cohort wouldn't be that useful. As a game's DM you could surely make a less balanced version of the ability work as well. But playing the class does not cause your DM to metamorphose into Draken, or transform the campaign into one where the ability is a non-issue. I don't think relying so heavily on the DM to limit the ability via plot and such is the best way to go about it.

28. - Top - End - #1048

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    What about the other players? Not talking about adamantine castles - I'm not familiar with grove but stationary fortresses typically aren't an issue IMO - but rather the Malshaper monster creation. A lot of the suggestions for controlling that without tweaking the mechanics still result in the game revolving around a single player.

Would it be fine in some campaigns? Of course. I've been in a campaign where the players decided that finding a high-op hulking hurler to be a cohort's pscicrystal's cohort wouldn't be that useful. As a game's DM you could surely make a less balanced version of the ability work as well. But playing the class does not cause your DM to metamorphose into Draken, or transform the campaign into one where the ability is a non-issue. I don't think relying so heavily on the DM to limit the ability via plot and such is the best way to go about it.
    Then said DM should not allow the class. I personally think that evolutionist is best in an all-evolutionist party.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post

I will be honest and forthcoming here.

The Malshaper was one of my earliest homebrews and while it is very faithful to its concept, some of its abilities (read: Spawning Pod) are broken as hell if the DM doesn't take the proper reins.

Really, Spawning Pod is supposed to be balanced around the simple fact that while you are now birthing aberrations left and right, your new 'kids' are still essentially monstrous beings with inhuman thought patterns that should not act in a reliable fashion.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

I am bringing another question to this topic-table.

The question is: We have Spellshaper. Now, I am trying to make its Psionic Equivalent. However... due to the way Psionics work, it is rather quite difficult. Do you people have any advice, ideas or suggestion how to do it?

Also, this is just an idea of mine but... Worldshaker. Be the biggest... How about some PrC that goes the other way, towards becoming smaller and having special options due to it? ...Actually, what would it even be called...