New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

Vermin Type

This type includes insects, arachnids, other arthropods, worms, and similar invertebrates.
    Features

Vermin have the following features.

8-sided Hit Dice.
    Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
    Good Fortitude saves.
    Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the vermin has an Intelligence score. However, most vermin are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

Traits

Vermin possess the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    Proficient with their natural weapons only.
    Proficient with no armor.
    Vermin breathe, eat, and sleep.
    Technically, the only problem here is the mindlessness trait.

A quick butchering yields:

Mind Carapace (Ex):
    You are treated as being mindless for the purpose of immunities.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is an intelligent ooze in the MM3
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    There is an intelligent ooze in the MM3

Still, Ooze subtype has a few too many immunities for me to put in the default list of avaiable ascendancies and simply not enough possible ideas left to make a mutation list or a teratomorph list.

Stupid wizards of the coast not following their own bloody guidelines.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post

Still, Ooze subtype has a few too many immunities for me to put in the default list of avaiable ascendancies and simply not enough possible ideas left to make a mutation list or a teratomorph list.

Stupid wizards of the coast not following their own bloody guidelines.
    I know, I actually don't mind not having an Ooze Evolutionist, I was just pointing it out. Plus in the entry it even said that it was odd so i think it was an exception to the rule (there's one for almost all of them).
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much all the abilities of oozes that are reasonable to give to PCs (pretty much everything but splitting or a living spell's abilities) are already available as mutations or teratomorphisms anyway. Acid, check, immune to flank and critical hits, check, blindsight/sense, check, engulf, check,slam attacks, check, poison, check.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, how would one make the epic progression for Evolutionist? Also, how are the Elemental things going?
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    So, how would one make the epic progression for Evolutionist? Also, how are the Elemental things going?
    Mutator level keeps going up, three mutations per level, no more teratomorphisms, nothing further on the ascendance/perfection part. One bonus feat every three levels from the following list:

Armor Skin, Blinding Speed, Damage Reduction, Dexterous Fortitude, Dexterous Will, Distant Shot, Energy Resistance, Epic Dodge, Epic Endurance, Epic Fortitude, Epic Prowess, Epic Reflexes, Epic Speed, Epic Toughness, Epic Will, Extended Life Span, Extra Teratomorphism, Fast Healing, Great Charisma, Great Constitution, Great Dexterity, Great Intelligence, Great Strength, Great Wisdom, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Darkvision, Improved Low-Light Vision, Improved Spell Resistance, Perfect Health, Self-Concealment, Superior Initiative.

New Feat: Extra Teratomorphism [Epic, Mutator]
    Prerequisite: Access to rank VI teratomorphisms.
    Benefit: You gain one extra teratomorphism of any rank.
    Special: You can only take teratomorphisms from special lists if you would normally have access to those lists.

---------

Elemental Mutations are fighting to come out.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-08-12 at 09:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Teratomorph II
    Decrepit [Skeletal] I: The evolutionist takes only half damage from piercing attacks.
    Decrepit [Dead Flesh] I: The evolutionist takes only half damage from bludgeoning attacks.
    Decrepit [Tough Hide] I: The evolutionist takes only half damage from slashing attacks.

Teratomorph IV
    Decrepit [Skeletal] II (Requires Decrepit [Skeletal] I): The evolutionist is immune to piercing damage.
    Decrepit [Dead Flesh] II (Requires Decrepit [Dead Flesh] I): The evolutionist is immune to bludgeoning damage.
    Decrepit [Tough Hide] II (Requires Decrepit [Tough Hide] I): The evolutionist is immune to slashing damage.
    you might want to make a limit of choosing only one of these, cause at 20th level, you could have a character that is completely immune to physical damage

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    you might want to make a limit of choosing only one of these, cause at 20th level, you could have a character that is completely immune to physical damage
    I put down no limits because in my opinion, there are better options than using six teratomorphs to gain immunity to physical damage.

If anyone else thinks limiting the number of decrepits that can be taken is in order, let me know and I will make the change.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't need the decrepits to get immunity to physical damage. The Two regenerators give that AND fast healing 4. Sure, take six teratomorphs to have the undead version of physical immunity damage, when you can get a better version with just two. Just saying.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

good point, though i still feel that having multiple types of skin is strange, so id make it so either you can only have 1, or make it so you can only have 1 active at a time

12. - Top - End - #132

Nothing in D&D prevents you to be an half-dragon Acolyte of the Skin and Pale Master (except maybe your ECL). Doesn't know what you would look like, but this is just as weird.

With all those transformational prestige classes around, we can already be an undead construct, an intangible half-dragon, or anything else self-contradictory. A base class that allows you to be this kind of things isn't outrageous.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Uh... The three decrepits deal with skeleton, musculature and skin, respectively.

And regeneration doesn't provide immunity. It merely causes physical damage to go to your non-lethal health bar instead of your lethal health bar.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-08-14 at 06:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #134

Is there a mutation to gain minions? I'd suggest this one :

Call of the Master
    Prerequisite: Mutator level 6.
    Ability Score: None
    Benefit: Choose a creature with an intelligence score under 3 and no more than 2 HD, such as ravens or zombies. You can control up to 4 HD of these creatures. They will come to you spontaneously and will obey your commands in the limits of their Intelligence score. If they die, others will take their place.
    Further Mutations: Every time this mutation is taken, you can control 4 more HD of creatures. The character does not have to choose the same creature again. This mutation can be taken once per two mutator levels.

Mind Carapace (Ex):
    You are treated as being mindless for the purpose of immunities.
    If it was a teratomorph, I don't know what level it would be, but it would probably be followed by a permanent Mind Blank.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Uh... The three decrepits deal with skeleton, musculature and skin, respectively.
    I get where you're coming from, and I agree with you now, I had just imagined it as the skeletal turning you into a skeleton, so it was weird for a skeleton to have skin, but I get why you meant now, seems fine

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Network View Post
    Is there a mutation to gain minions? I'd suggest this one :

Call of the Master
    Prerequisite: Mutator level 6.
    Ability Score: None
    Benefit: Choose a creature with an intelligence score under 3 and no more than 2 HD, such as ravens or zombies. You can control up to 4 HD of these creatures. They will come to you spontaneously and will obey your commands in the limits of their Intelligence score. If they die, others will take their place.
    Further Mutations: Every time this mutation is taken, you can control 4 more HD of creatures. The character does not have to choose the same creature again. This mutation can be taken once per two mutator levels.

If it was a teratomorph, I don't know what level it would be, but it would probably be followed by a permanent Mind Blank.
    Check Spawn in the undead list. Verdant Servant in plant and the Outsider Perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    I get where you're coming from, and I agree with you now, I had just imagined it as the skeletal turning you into a skeleton, so it was weird for a skeleton to have skin, but I get why you meant now, seems fine
    This is a case where I point out to the "Mutations and Appearance" entry. Mutations and teratomorphisms give an evocative name and a mechanical benefit, but not a visual description, this is intentional. This is because even two evolutionists with the exact same loadout don't have to look the same, or even remotely similar.

Decrepit (Skeletal) will do something to you that might give you a more bare-bones appareance while providing protection from piercing attacks. This can range from going full out skeleton to merely becoming more like a black dragon or turning into a big swiss cheese person with the holes pre-punctured. A pretty smelly cheese due to the undead thematics, perhaps. But those will not be pronounced unless the ascendancy is taken.

Evolutionists are looking to take over the wizards in the realm of silly-looking killer fauna.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #137

I think the goal with call of the master is to more generalize the archetype, being full aware of the highly specific necromancy ability.

18. - Top - End - #138

This was my intend, although I wasn't sure there were those mutations. I though an evolutionist may as well want to control lemures, centipedes, or bats, as the case may be. A limitation in the Intelligence score cut most abuses I could see (no dretch, no ghoul, etc.). An alternative would be to make a similar mutation for all ascendancies. But some people may have much more servants than their level would permit otherwise.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

That sort of 'pack' is more the realm of Selinia's Progenitor prestige class, actually. You will notice that of the three options for servants I gave, onlyone provides sapient servants and those are under the most extreme form of mind control avaiable. Baseline evolutionists don't get loyal servants through class features, only slaves.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-08-15 at 10:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #140

Well then, if mindless slaves are goal then why not insects, oozes and anything lacking an int score? I personally am a fan of a more insect-themed evolutionist.

21. - Top - End - #141

BardGuy

So, what happens when I use Awaken (or Awaken Construct) on my Verdant Servant?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    So, what happens when I use Awaken (or Awaken Construct) on my Verdant Servant?
    Despite its duration, Verdant Servant is still based off of Astral Construct and as such is still temporary, so it isn't a biable target for that spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #143

So, how is the 'fight' for getting Elemental Mutations up going?
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Um a maxed out elemental lance will do 29d8 damage at a distance of 1200 feet, you might want to put a limit on how often it can be taken. Especiallly as this is an at will attack. Also trying to make an elemental based character so I beg you, please finish the elemental evolution feat
    Last edited by Faerieheart; 2012-09-04 at 12:58 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Elemental mutations just needs one teratomorphism and the perfection to be finished. I will work on these tomorrow.

In the meanwhile: Changelog.

• Extra Eyes: Renamed Extra Senses. Now also provides a bonus to listen checks.
    • Fins: Now increases swim speed by 10 feet per mutation.
    • Swallow Whole: Fixed an entry where it said that sizes larger than large doubled stomach capacity, this was wrong and should be quadruple.
    • Burrow: Now a Rank III teratomorph.
    • Elemental Lance: Now can only be taken once per two mutator levels (caps at 19d6 damage).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faerieheart View Post
    Um a maxed out elemental lance will do 29d8 damage at a distance of 1200 feet, you might want to put a limit on how often it can be taken. Especiallly as this is an at will attack.
    I'd note that the elemental lance may only be taken up to once per two mutator levels, meaning at level 20 you could have it at most 10 times, meaning 19d8 damage and 600 feet. That is of course assuming you are considering level 20 to be maxed out and not talking about going into epic.

Edit: Huh, it seems Draken ninja'd me with an edit to the post listing the elemental lance before I checked the wording, and then a reply while I was typing my reply.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2012-09-04 at 01:16 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I'd note that the elemental lance may only be taken up to once per two mutator levels, meaning at level 20 you could have it at most 10 times, meaning 19d8 damage and 600 feet. That is of course assuming you are considering level 20 to be maxed out and not talking about going into epic.

Edit: Huh, it seems Draken ninja'd me with an edit to the post listing the elemental lance before I checked the wording, and then a reply while I was typing my reply.

Owrtho
    Natural Invisibility, worth maxing out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Natural Invisibility, worth maxing out.
    Invisibility? Please. I've long since traded my normal vision for blindsight. I just wish I'd noticed the radius was only 5' before doing so.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

29. - Top - End - #149

Swallow Whole: Fixed an entry where it said that sizes larger than large doubled stomach capacity, this was wrong and should be quadruple.
    Technically, due to the square/cube law, it is multiplied by eight.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Amorphous should only increase your grapple for the purposes of escaping a grapple. A medium creature being treated as size category gargantuan for the purposes of grappling someone because they are practically a liquid seems silly.