New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Weird Disappearing Post

So, I made a post to a thread (this one, specifically). The post seemed to go through successfully, except that it didn't show up. I would have just attributed it to a simple connection error and the post didn't go through, except when I was making a new post, it did show up in the Topic Review in the new reply window. (I hope that was clear)

Any idea what's wrong?

[EDIT]I did do a force-refresh, so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't client-side[/EDIT]
    Last edited by TooManySecrets; 2012-05-03 at 09:23 PM.
    Smart is knowing that Frankenstein wasn't the monster. / Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the monster.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Weird Disappearing Post

Your post is there, it's just a server glitch. You won't be able to see it normally until someone else posts, at which point your post will be visible as the first post on page 3.

If you want to view it now, there's two options.
    • Change you settings to show a number of posts per page other than 30. Or,
    • Use the 'post reply' function, but don't actually post. Look at the topic review at the bottom. You can see your post there.

3. - Top - End - #3

Yes, I mentioned that it was in the Topic Review. I'm not worried about losing the post - I'm just interested in what's causing it.

[EDIT] I just tried to post and neither the post nor the previous one showed up. Does somebody other than me need to post?[/EDIT]

[EDIT 2] The answer to that is yes. [/EDIT 2]
    Last edited by TooManySecrets; 2012-05-03 at 10:17 PM.
    Smart is knowing that Frankenstein wasn't the monster. / Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the monster.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TooManySecrets View Post
    Yes, I mentioned that it was in the Topic Review. I'm not worried about losing the post - I'm just interested in what's causing it.
    Known issue going back several months, seems to be related to various 500 errors that occur while posting but it's inconsistent, with a few dozen topics here in board/site issues talking about it. Nothing to do except be patient and work around it until the overall server issue behind it can be addressed (which will take time, money, and time).
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2012-05-03 at 11:04 PM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Known issue going back several months, seems to be related to various 500 errors that occur while posting but it's inconsistent, with a few dozen topics here in board/site issues talking about it. Nothing to do except be patient and work around it until the overall server issue behind it can be addressed (which will take time, money, and time).
    Okay, fair enough. I guess it's some sort of server cache problem.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TooManySecrets View Post
    [EDIT] I just tried to post and neither the post nor the previous one showed up. Does somebody other than me need to post?[/EDIT]
    Please don't try this. It will fix itself eventually, so please just wait for that. Kumori has mentioned two different ways to see the actual post, which you should use.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak