New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Runescar Base Class [3.5, WIP]

Runescar

Deep in the heart of tribal regions, there are shamans that can weave magic in exotic rituals and able to use voodoo to manipulate or curse people, even deeper in that heart is the runescar, rare and barbaric warrior mages that only occur in the deepest reaches of primordial and tribal societies around the world, they are dangerous to those they encounter.

Adventures: Runescars are a rare sight outside their tribes unless the tribe is destroyed or the runescar is defeated by another that takes his place, forcing him into exile. These runescars are usually even more dangerous than the ones in a tribe as they often believe they don't have anything left to lose. A rare few make it to more advanced societies and acclimating over time, these are the most likely to travel of all runescars.

Characteristics: Scarification and blood magic are the most powerful and notable abilities of the runescar, and the driving force behind the runescar's overall combat ability. The scar-like runes carved into the runescar, besides giving them their name, offers a wide array of abilities to augment their combat effectiveness while their blood magic gives them an array of attack augmenting skills on a more active scale.

Alignment: Much like the barbarians of the tribes, runescars tend not to be lawful and have a strong lean towards chaos, however, while the magic that runescars use is often seen as evil, or at least not good, most runescars are good, having a strong sense of community and protectiveness for their tribe. Those without a tribe are more likely to be neutral than evil.

Religion: Runescars tend to worship tribal gods or animal spirits rather than more mainstream gods, even when not in a tribe or when in a less tribal city, the only exception being Kord and Erythnul for city-bound runescars.

Background: Most runescars are apprenticed to the tribe's runescar when they're children and their talent is noticed, this is mainly done to keep them from killing themselves by experimenting early on rather than to actually train them, the moment a young runescar has a handle on his abilities, he is on his own to expand on hos abilites. Most do not gain enough power to overcome the tribe's runescar, and will often go to another tribe to challenge another runescar.

Races: Humans, orcs, and goblinoids are the most common to have a runescar among their ranks. Dwarf, halfling, and gnome runscars are exceedingly rare and only the most primordial tribes have even the potential to produce runescars. Elves, with the exception of wild elves, rarely become runescars due to their inherent frailty.

Other Classes: Barbarians, druids, rangers, totemists, and scouts commonly get along well with the tribal runescar, their emphasis on the natural world allowing them to get along well. Most arcane spellcasters find the runescar to be crude, but effective, users of magic while divine spellcasters tend to not see why they are viewed as shamans.

Role: Runescars are warriors and magic users, though not true spellcasters, and are adept at disabling enemies. They are best utilized in the front-line unless they focus on support options with their invocations and scars.

Hit Die: d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Scars|Active Scars
    1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Resilience, Invocations (Least)|1|1
    2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Scarification +1|2|1
    3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Blood Regeneration|3|1
    4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Bloodpool|4|1
    5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|--|5|2
    6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Scarification +2|6|2
    7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|--|7|2
    8th|+6|+6|+2|+6|--|8|2
    9th|+6|+6|+3|+6|--|9|3
    10th|+7|+7|+3|+7|Scarification +3|10|3
    11th|+8|+7|+3|+7|Passive Scars|11|3
    12th|+9|+8|+4|+8|--|12|3
    13th|+9|+8|+4|+8|--|13|4
    14th|+10|+9|+4|+9|Scarification +4|14|4
    15th|+11|+9|+5|+9|--|15|4
    16th|+12|+10|+5|+10|--|16|4
    17th|+12|+10|+5|+10|--|17|5
    18th|+13|+11|+6|+11|Scarification +5|18|5
    19th|+14|+11|+6|+11|--|19|5
    20th|+15|+12|+6|+12|--|20|5[/table]
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcane/Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, and Use Magic Device. (4 + Int Mod, x4 at first level)

Wpn/Arm Prof: A runescar is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor but not with shields.

Scars (Ex): A runescar's primary ability, the ability he is named for, is his scars, which are made at focal points of power in the blood flow, the design drawing specific abilities forward over time. The runescar gains one scar every level, which grants certain benefits based on the runescar's level as described in the scar's entry. Scars are presented in the post below.

Scars Active (Su): While a runescar has a large number of scars, he is not able to draw on all of them at once. The runescar can only maintain a number of scars as shown on the table above. Activating or deactivating a scar is a swift action and can be kept active indefinitely.

Invocations (Sp): By virtue of the inherent magic in their blood, a runscar does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane magic do. Instead, he possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require him to focus the wild energy that suffuses his blood. A runescar can use any invocations he knows at-will.

A runescar's invocations are spell-like abilities; thus, unless indicated in the description, using an invocation is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting, a runescar is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A runescar can choose to use an invocation defensively, by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. A runescar's invocations are subject to spell resistance unless an invocation’s description specifically states otherwise. A runescar's caster level with his invocations is equal to his class level plus levels in any class that advances his caster level.

The save DC for an invocation (if it allows a save) is equal to 10 + the equivalent spell level of the invocation (stated on its description) + the runescar's Con modifier. Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a runescar cannot benefit from any metamagic feat or the Spell Focus feat; he can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat as well as feats that emulate metamagic effects for spell-like abilities.

The four grades of invocations, in order of their relative power, are least, lesser, greater, and vitae. A runescar begins play with knowledge of one least-grade invocations, as mentioned on the table above. As a runescar gains levels, he learns new invocations, as shown on the table above. At any level when a runescar learns a new invocation, he may also replace an invocation he already knows with another invocation of the same or a lower grade. At 6th level, a runescar gains access to lesser invocations; at 11th level, a runescar gains access to greater invocations and at 16th level the runescar gains access to dark invocations.

Finally, unlike other spell-like abilities, invocations are subject to arcane spell failure chance for any armor heavier than light armor. Unlike other wielders of spell-like abilities, runescars can qualify for some prestige classes usually intended for spellcasters; see Warlocks and Prestige Classes section in Complete Arcane.

Resilience (Ex): A runescar is used to being injured and maintaining their concentration when injured. A runescar adds double his Con bonus (minimum 1 per HD) to his hit points and gains a bonus on Concentration checks equal to his runescar level.

Scarification (Ex): A runescar's scars offer a degree of protection over time, hardening his skin and making him inured to pain. At 2nd level the runescar gains a +1 natural armor bonus. This bonus increases by one at 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter.

Blood Regeneration (Ex): Having adapted to the power flowing through his veins, a runescar of at least 3rd level starts to produce blood at an accelerated rate. When resting, the runescar regains hp and ability damage or burn as if he had rested for a full 8 hours every hour. This does not allow the runescar to regain spells or gain any other benefits of resting for 8 hours other than healing ability damage, burn, and hit point damage. Additionally, the runescar automatically stabalizes when brought to below 0hp.

Blood Pool (Ex): At 4th level, a runescar develops a reserve of magic he can use in place of his blood when augmenting his invocations. The size of this reserve is equal to the runescar's Con Score + his Caster Level. Non-permanent bonuses to a runescar's Con Score do not affect the size of his blood pool.

Passive Scars (Ex): Starting at 11th level, the runescar's body naturally produces enough blood magic to benefit from some of the passive effectss of his scars. When changing which scars he has active, the runescar may choose a number of scars equal to the number of scars he can have active to be Passive Scars. Scars designated as Passive only provide the Base and Passive Features to the Runescar, not the Active or Augmented Features.

More to Come.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2013-07-22 at 10:55 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Runescar Base Class [3.5, WIP]

SCARS

A runescar is known for his scars, a nexus on his body where blood magic pools and is shaped by the scar, allowing for various benefits and abilities. These abilities only require the scar to be active, a dormant scar provides no benefit and is completely inactive until the Runescar reaches 11th level, when they gain Passive Scars.

A scar is split into four parts: Base Features, Passive Features, Active Features, and Augmented Features.

Base Features are the most basic power of the scar while it's active. Usually a simple bonus. These bonuses are always untyped and stack with each other.

Passive Features are simple abilities that do not need to be activated, they are always active while the scar is active.

Active Features are the main aspect that defines a scar. These are the Invocations the runescar can pick from and use. The invocations the runescar possesses can only be selected from the invocations of his active scars.

Augmented Features are ways the runescar can use his blood magic to enhance his invocations by channeling blood magic through his active scars.

Battlescar
    The battlescar promotes combat prowess, enhancing strength and accuracy with attacks, the Runescar becomes a powerful warrior.
    Base Feature: The runescar gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls that increases by one at 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th level. This bonus also applies to Concentration checks made when using an Active Feature from any Scar.
    Passive Features: The battlescar epitomizes incredible combat prowess and taking down opponents as quickly as possible. Even the passive features of this scar help take down enemies quickly.
    Bleeding Wounds: When the runescar threatens a critical hit with a piercing or slashing weapon, whether the critical hit is confirmed or not, the one hit by the attack bleeds for one damage every round. Multiple bleeding wounds are cumulative. On any attack with a piercing or slashing weapon that is affected by a battlescar active effect always leaves a bleeding wound as long as the attack hits.
    Active Features: The battlescar is probably the most direct of .
    Augmented Features: .
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2013-07-22 at 10:55 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooohhh... this will be interesting. Do you mind if I file off the serial numbers and fluff and make it into a runic shaman for a Norse-influenced area of my campaign world? I'll be sure to give you credit, I just think that what I see of the mechanics is a good fit.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Oooohhh... this will be interesting. Do you mind if I file off the serial numbers and fluff and make it into a runic shaman for a Norse-influenced area of my campaign world? I'll be sure to give you credit, I just think that what I see of the mechanics is a good fit.
    Fine by me, though you may want to wait until this is done, I have quite a few things to add to the class itself since it's not done yet.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Fine by me, though you may want to wait until this is done, I have quite a few things to add to the class itself since it's not done yet.
    Yeah, I noticed that your three big things (Invocations, Blood Magic and Scars) have yet to be added, but I like the path you're on so far. I'm eager for more, too!
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that your three big things (Invocations, Blood Magic and Scars) have yet to be added, but I like the path you're on so far. I'm eager for more, too!
    I'll be fleshing those out over the next few weeks, the class features i'm hoping to have done by next week.

I think i should give a slight explanation on the invocations, scars, and blood magics though, just to give you an idea.

The invocations are used as active augments to attacks and defenses, which the runescar can actually further augment by adding his hp to it, while the scars are passive ones, like a marshal's auras except only for the Runescar.

The blood magics, on the other hand, are effects that are beneficial to allies but require hp expenditures. The runescar will actually get a blood pool at 4th level to fuel blood magics before he has to use his own hp.

May help you fit them into your setting better, may also give you some ideas that i don't have, which are always welcome for this kind of thing.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: Runescar Base Class [3.5, WIP]

This looks very interesting. Can't wait to see it finished

Some suggestions for pictures, although that's hard to say since this class is in its fledgling stages...
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if any of those are right, but I hope so!
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

8. - Top - End - #8

Added a new feature, still need a few for later levels then i'm going to work on scars and invocations, then blood magics
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Okay, decided on a bit of a revamp for this thing, after letting it sit for a while with a case of writer's block, I finally made headway, but I went in a different direction than I originally intended.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show