1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Turtle-taurs! [3.5 races, PEACH!]

quick note you likely missed my post/edit. ninja'd you

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Swindle89 View Post
    Speaking of bros. these guys should favor throwing hammers.
    Oh gosh, a Troopa PrC? Fund it, I say!

You know what, Magic. A wizard did it. I declare they have a humanoid torso with a smaller turtle shell for a ribcage, including a secondary set of lungs and a secondary heart.
    Yeah, at this rate we will be talking about the divergance of Owlbears from Griffons evolution-wise, or something.

Also, I have the wonderful mental image of a psion honu that never leaves his shell.
    Just hovering on a floating platform, with stuff decortating the shell on the outside for magical means? Heh, now I do too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    I'd like to see a note that adds any Dr they gain to their shells hardness, and maybe also a line that let's them gain Dr boosting feats, because it seems appropriate.
    Good idea! I should do that.

Also, I have the wonderful mental image of a psion honu that never leaves his shell.
    That... is a pretty awesome mental image. I really wanna play that now.

As for items, the rune is basically a continuous 1st level spell, so I'd say 2000, maybe 3000 to factor for high HD.
    Whoo! Awesome pricing is awesome!

the iron back, I'd probably say iron is 500 gp, (1/5 value per pound of gold for worked iron), adamantine for 10000 (cost of heavy adamantine armour.)
    The other option is to combine it with their armour, and say the shell gains half the hardness and all the hp of the armour. (would cost as much as normal set of armour for a medium quadruped)
    More pricing! This is AWESOME!

I like the combine with armor option, but it'd take some jiggering to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    I don't know how to price them either.

I like them. They're not what I expected, but their neat in their own way.
    Well, thankfully, our friend Jojo stepped up with cost estimates. We'll see how it works.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Oh gosh, a Troopa PrC? Fund it, I say!
    ...I am vaguely tempted to make koopas now, but I have bigger projects to work on.

Yeah, at this rate we will be talking about the divergance of Owlbears from Griffons evolution-wise, or something.
    Yeaaaaaah.

Just hovering on a floating platform, with stuff decortating the shell on the outside for magical means? Heh, now I do too!
    Exactly! Just a floating shell blasting away with energy. I wanna do this a LOT.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

Alright, here's a few drafts of feats and a revised take on ironback armor.

Ironback Armor: A suit of ironback armor is much like any suit of armor designed for a honu, ikahonu, or honukai. However, these suits are usually split into two sections an upper section, which fits much like any other suit of armor on their torso. The lower section is designed to engulf their shell, anchored into the bone with rivets, spiked nails, or other such fasteners. As such, while the upper portion can be removed normally, the lower section cannot be removed without breaking the character's shell. A suit of ironback armor applies it's armor bonus to the shell's AC, adds one-half its hardness to the shell's hardness, and it's HP to the shell's maximum HP. A character wearing the full suit of ironback armor takes normal armor check and speed penalties. If they remove the upper portion, they only take half armor check penalties but the speed penalty remains in full. the armor can be enchanted as normal, but the character must be present during the entire process. Enhancement bonuses apply at all times, but all other magical effects are suppressed and cannot be activated if the character is not wearing both parts of their ironback armor.
    Ironback armor costs additional gold based on the weight category of the armor. Ironback armor weighs the same as it's non-ironback counterpart, and weighs 1/2 as much while the upper portion is removed.
    {table=head]Armor Type|Cost
    Light|+1000
    Medium|+3000
    Heavy|+5000[/table]

Tuck:
    You can control your instinct to retreat into your shell, allowing you to gain a measure of protection while still being able to act.
    Prerequisite: Wisdom 15, Shell Protection
    Benefit: You can tuck yourself halfway into your shell, gaining cover against attacks as a move action. However, while tucked like this, you can't move freely, and all targets effectively have cover against you.

Crushing Jaws:
    You have mastered the use of your bite to grip your prey.
    Prerequisites: Ikahonu
    Benefit: When grappling an opponent, you can sink your jaws into your opponent's flesh, automatically dealing bite damage every round you maintain the grapple.

Hard Shell:
    You were born with a tougher shell than normal.
    Prerequisites: Shell Protection, Con 17, Level 1
    Benefit: Your shell's hardness increases by 1 point for ever 4 HD you possess and your shell gains extra HP equal to your HD.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

I'd suggest also noting an increase in price for the Ironback Armour when made from a special material. something like 50% more cost from special materials.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd suggest also noting an increase in price for the Ironback Armour when made from a special material. something like 50% more cost from special materials.
    I don't know why they would increase in cost for special materials, as they don't vary by size or shape of creature normally, so I don't know why it would for this.

Also, I'm guessing spiked Ironback armor is probably only spiked on the shell part, I'm guessing, so some attention to that could be warranted.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I don't know why they would increase in cost for special materials, as they don't vary by size or shape of creature normally, so I don't know why it would for this.
    Players handbook page 123. Armor for unusual creatures. non-humaniod has a price increase, and either the honu are treated an non-humanoid and have to pay double for the non-magic costs of armor, or the ironback armour covers the cost from weird shape, in which case increasing the cost of special materials helps balance special high hardness materials, and makes the cost more similar to barding.

8. - Top - End - #38

The honu's already paying double price due to a nonhumanoid body plan. Why would special materials cost extra-extra? He wouldn't need any more of the stuff than normal armor, the extra price is just the custom-fitting and redesign.

Also, I'm guessing spiked Ironback armor is probably only spiked on the shell part, I'm guessing, so some attention to that could be warranted.
    This is true. Think I should address armor spikes in the shell protection description?

Players handbook page 123. Armor for unusual creatures. non-humaniod has a price increase, and either the honu are treated an non-humanoid and have to pay double for the non-magic costs of armor, or the ironback armour covers the cost from weird shape, in which case increasing the cost of special materials helps balance special high hardness materials, and makes the cost more similar to barding.
    It's supposed to be double base +the extra ironback cost.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    It's supposed to be double base +the extra ironback cost.
    I think every one's question is "Why the extra cost?"

The rules for barding are supposed to cover this kind of thing.

I geuss there is an argument for the permanent attach ment process. But it's prolly only a couple copper (about the same cost as getting a horse shoed) to have a blacksmith to hammer a few spikes into your back.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Swindle89 View Post
    I think every one's question is "Why the extra cost?"

The rules for barding are supposed to cover this kind of thing.

I geuss there is an argument for the permanent attach ment process. But it's prolly only a couple copper (about the same cost as getting a horse shoed) to have a blacksmith to hammer a few spikes into your back.
    The extra cost is supposed to represent the price of custom-fitting the shell and reworking the design to anchor to the shell directly as opposed to being fastened together with leather straps over layers of chain and padding.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    This is true. Think I should address armor spikes in the shell protection description?
    Wherever you think it would fit in best, just that it should be included somewhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #42

Okay, armor spikes have been adressed and here's a version of armor spikes for them that doesn't mess with their ability to pull into the shell.

Shell Spikes: A honu, ikahonu, or honukai can get special spikes made, which can anchor to a suit of armor or even the shell itself. When grappling an opponent, the character can attempt to impale his opponent on these spikes as a standard action, by making a successful grapple check. If the check is successful, the opponent takes 1d8+strength damage.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Great, why can I see a Honu dashing up to a foe, preforming a graceful backflip, and retreating into it's shell just before it crushes the poor twit under a spiked shell?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Great, why can I see a Honu dashing up to a foe, preforming a graceful backflip, and retreating into it's shell just before it crushes the poor twit under a spiked shell?
    Because you forgot they had a -4 Dex and 'graceful' and 'honu' don't belong in the same sentence?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #45

Bah, this is DnD! They could be a monk and use that ability that lets them leap realy, realy far!
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Bah, this is DnD! They could be a monk and use that ability that lets them leap realy, realy far!
    ...Man, a honu monk running around at 80 ft/r would be more than a lil' ridiculous.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Are you kidding? What about a Ikahonu basicly flinging party members left and right all while in knee-deep water?

Quest giver: "Well, guys, in order to get the magical mcguffen, your going to have to defeat the kung-fu master who lives in the swamp."

PCs: "Oh, that can't be that bad. Probably a giant or something with class levels."

DM: "Hehehehehehe....."
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-05-03 at 08:00 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Are you kidding? What about a Ikahonu basicly flinging party members left and right all while in knee-deep water?

Quest giver: "Well, guys, in order to get the magical mcguffen, your going to have to defeat the kung-fu master who lives in the swamp."

PCs: "Oh, that can't be that bad. Probably a giant or something with class levels."

DM: "Hehehehehehe....."
    Speaking of ikahonu, they have been mechanically upgraded to large and had their stats tweaked. I just need to go tweak the physical description too.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Ikahonu look pretty good, other that the natural weapons look like they didn't get increased in size to match.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #50

Ikahonu look pretty good, other that the natural weapons look like they didn't get increased in size to match.
    Oh yeah, that part... *goes and fixes*
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show