New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default the big bang theory..

I don't know you, but I'm still liking it.

Mr. Rostenkowski was hilarious..predictable, but hilarious.
    especially his last line in ep 23.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: the big bang theory..

As I haven't yet seen the latest episode, I presume Mr. Rostenkowski is a new character appearing in that episode?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I was never a fan. Too much of it seems to be based around the idea that going "look, something nerdy!" *cue laugh track* is actual humor...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Surprisingly my dad loves this show. I used to watch it, I enjoy the nerdy references and think the characters actually had funny chemistry. However, once they really started getting into the romantic aspect of the characters I got bored and dropped it.

Then suddenly my dad discovered the show and found it hilarious, so if I ever stop by I tend to watch an episode or two with him. The reruns though, so it's all out of order. And honestly I think that works for me. My enjoyment of it is completely based on the humor and the episodic plot, so I don't have to worry about the overarching plot which seems to mostly be about who's dating who.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    As I haven't yet seen the latest episode, I presume Mr. Rostenkowski is a new character appearing in that episode?
    bernadette's dad
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I only started watching BBT within the last year... it's so syndicated it must be on at least 6 times a day where I live... it's hard to miss. It's funny but lacks the heart that a show like Louie or Community has.

7. - Top - End - #7

I never really liked this show. It has a few OK moments and some good references here and there (like C.E.R.N.), but overall I get annoyed with it. It seems like everybody above 40 likes this show, however. Not saying that ONLY people above 40 watch it. I think that what bothers me about it is that I get the feeling that it's regular writers writing what they think nerds would do or say, rather than actual nerds writing the script. Maybe actual nerds do write it and producers mess it up, I dunno...

The most recent comedy I really really liked was Party Down, which has been freaking cancelled. FML....

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does it still have that auxiliary character of some professor who talks like Elmer Fudd? (He annoyed the hell out of me--not because the speech impediment was annoying to listen to, but because it seemed like they just gave it to him to be insulting. "He's a physics professor! He has to be dorky!")
    Last edited by Muz; 2012-05-09 at 12:48 PM.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I watch BBT, not in it's time slot because my love goes out to Community. BBT is like something I can't look away from, although I don't like that the way they portray geeks/nerds/dorks as autistics/perverts/spineless/so shy they have to be drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by AndToBeLoved View Post
    The most recent comedy I really really liked was Party Down, which has been freaking cancelled. FML....
    Low ratings and Jane Lynch going to GLEE hurt it pretty bad. I miss the show too

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

This

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Eh, I was never a fan. Too much of it seems to be based around the idea that going "look, something nerdy!" *cue laugh track* is actual humor...
    and this

Quote Originally Posted by AndToBeLoved View Post
    I never really liked this show. It has a few OK moments and some good references here and there (like C.E.R.N.), but overall I get annoyed with it. It seems like everybody above 40 likes this show, however. Not saying that ONLY people above 40 watch it. I think that what bothers me about it is that I get the feeling that it's regular writers writing what they think nerds would do or say, rather than actual nerds writing the script. Maybe actual nerds do write it and producers mess it up, I dunno....
    Are basically how I feel about it. It satirizes nerdiness without having a real understanding of it.

Also that much of the humor seems to revolve around one of characters having what appears to be a legitimate mental disorder (haha! disability!), which makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

11. - Top - End - #11

It satirizes nerdiness without having a real understanding of it.

Also that much of the humor seems to revolve around one of characters having what appears to be a legitimate mental disorder (haha! disability!), which makes me feel uncomfortable.
    THANK you!

12. - Top - End - #12

My friends and I always joke about its 'intelligent' humor. References are unfortunately not jokes, and stereotypes really aren't funny.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoy it, don't watch it more regularly or anything, but I catch the reruns on TBS. It does use a lot on exaggerated nerd stereotypes, but it's generally amusing.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2012-05-09 at 06:11 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateCaptain

Yeah, never liked this show. But I always tune in to see Wil Wheaton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

The show was spectacular in its first two seasons and quickly shot up to being one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Unfortunately, starting midway through the third season (which ironically was when it started getting really popular), I feel it dropped noticeably in quality. I still find it funny and it's still entertaining, but it doesn't have the same punch it used to. There's still some flashes of brilliance, but just not as much as there was in the first two seasons.

It's why it's turned from a show I always made sure to watch every new episode of to a show I watch more occasionally...though to be fair, a major part of that is the fact it airs at the same time as The Vampire Diaries, which I always watch (though its current season has been kind of uneven as well).
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-05-09 at 11:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer The IT Crowd myself, but I admit that British comedy isn't everyone's cup of tea. Most of the time, not mine either.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-05-09 at 11:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Frankly, the idea that Sheldon now represents mainstream society's perception of nerd/geek culture horrifies me.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Frankly, the idea that Sheldon now represents mainstream society's perception of nerd/geek culture horrifies me.
    To be fair, that's really more just a lateral movement from where the perception likely was before.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Apart from many of the above stated reasons, the show has the most obnoxiously loud laugh track ever. It's many magnitudes louder than any dialogue, as though the audience will not understand many of the nerdy references and have to be cued with obscenely loud laughter to realize that a punchline was just delivered.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I prefer The IT Crowd myself, but I admit that British comedy isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    *badum-tss*
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    Apart from many of the above stated reasons, the show has the most obnoxiously loud laugh track ever.
    It's a studio audience. Actually, most shows people label as having laugh tracks have actual studio audiences. That said, I will agree it can be annoyingly loud. Though I've heard M*A*S*H's original laugh track was way worse.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    It's a studio audience. Actually, most shows people label as having laugh tracks have actual studio audiences. That said, I will agree it can be annoyingly loud. Though I've heard M*A*S*H's original laugh track was way worse.
    The thing is that laugh tracks aren't good/acceptable just because they're studio audiences. They're still heavily edited or else you wouldn't hear everyone laughing in unison and cutting of all at once, at a pretty constant volume throughout the show. So it's still valid to complain about the volume and timing of the laughter, because that is still controlled by the editors.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    Apart from many of the above stated reasons, the show has the most obnoxiously loud laugh track ever. It's many magnitudes louder than any dialogue, as though the audience will not understand many of the nerdy references and have to be cued with obscenely loud laughter to realize that a punchline was just delivered.
    I enjoy the show, but yeah, I'd enjoy it a lot more if they entirely dropped the laugh track, or at least dialed it back.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    The thing is that laugh tracks aren't good/acceptable just because they're studio audiences.
    It raises my opinion of a show slightly if they're willing to have a studio audio rather than just throw in a laugh track.

Regardless, I feel it's still erroneous to refer to it as a "laugh track" as that carries the implication of there being no studio audience to begin with.
    They're still heavily edited or else you wouldn't hear everyone laughing in unison and cutting of all at once, at a pretty constant volume throughout the show.
    Still, it's based on an actual audience rather than just a bunch of audio files they added after the fact.
    So it's still valid to complain about the volume and timing of the laughter, because that is still controlled by the editors.
    Considering I did say I thought it was a bit too loud, here you're essentially attacking a position I didn't take.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-05-10 at 01:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    It raises my opinion of a show slightly if they're willing to have a studio audio rather than just throw in a laugh track.

Regardless, I feel it's still erroneous to refer to it as a "laugh track" as that carries the implication of there being no studio audience to begin with.Still, it's based on an actual audience rather than just a bunch of audio files they added after the fact.Considering I did say I thought it was a bit too loud, here you're essentially attacking a position I didn't take.
    Isn't it incredibly rare for shows to actually have laugh tracks as opposed to studio audience laughter? Especially for multi-cam sitcoms (of which BBT is one). It just seems to be a needless distinction, my point was that it doesn't make a difference in the final product whether the laughter is canned or live.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I have never watched a show and thought "This show would be epic, if only it had a laugh track".

I couldn't give a toss about how the laugh track is made.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know... it's not that I love laugh tracks but I don' mind them either. I don't even notive them most of the time, somehow...

That said I like BBT still though I guess I see why people don't always do.

Anyway, season finale was okay. I... kind of feel it was somehow girly. But the ending got me to go 'awwww' as well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoy the show, but it might be an age thing. Having just turned 41, I see a different side of the humor, perhaps. I know people who match up to those characters remarkably well.

During and after college, I watched my physics major friends struggle with the concept of dating, and took their good-natured-jibes at fast-food approach to relationships. Now I am in an industry where my master's degree is treated much in the same way the guys treat Howard's degree.

I think the addition of Bernadette and Amy have added another dimension to the show. Not only relationship driven, but the idea that nerds can be women as well.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    *badum-tss*
    Thank you, thank you. *bows*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if it's necessarily that much of an "age thing." I know a fair amount of people who are well under 40 who like the show.