New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLIIV: Season II Ruined My Fanon!

Well every pony... its taken a while, BUT I HAVE DONE IT! I may not posses the Magical ability of genderswaping, but i have built a very large and elaborate gun to do it for me! Now for the test run. FIRE THE GENDERBENDER! Targets: Changling Queen and Princess Candence!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Know its obvious.... but my word does this fandom poses talent!
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

2. - Top - End - #392

stupid server errors....
    i had the nice little Ponyard moment typed out and the servers ate it... TWICE.
    so here check this out. its amazing.

*Grumble grumble grumble*
    Last edited by Rebelhero; 2012-05-01 at 02:32 AM.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Having acid poured into your nose without anaesthetic isn't as bad as it sounds.

That's about all I'm willing to say in it's favour though.

I am bedridden for the immediate future, hopefully The Internet will be able to cheer me up.
    The hell?

What... How... Dude? What did you DO?! (Or have done to you?)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    The hell?

What... How... Dude? What did you DO?! (Or have done to you?)
    Spoilers for medical details

Spoiler
    Show
    All my life I have gotten seriously awful nosebleeds. Bad to the point of 'cannot seriously participate in any physical activity without risking one'. I came to hate few things as much as sitting in the nurses' office for the forty five minutes needed for my nose to stop bleeding. I am intimately familiar with the taste of my own blood, and the firsthand knowledge of just how bad it feels to drink blood for extended periods of time is my number one reason why no one should ever become a vampire.

Shaped a surprising amount of my worldview, in retrospect.

Anyway, I finally reached an age where cauterisation became an option. This process involves the doctor spraying acid into your nose, getting a stick, and pressing it incredibly hard against all the exposed veins in your nostrils (which are, coincidentally, the most sensitive parts). It takes about a minute to do each vein. The first time I had it done was a bit of a nightmare.

This would be the third round I've gone through (last one was about 2 years ago and it's been 95% effective), and it was comparatively minor in terms of the actual operation. However, the after effects of the acid are about the same even if the actual stick-pressing part was rather quick.

So essentially I've got this hypersensitive, unbearably itchy nose which is running heavily. I can't scratch it or rub it as this would defeat the purpose of the cauterisation, which is intended to make sure the interior all scars over. It's awful.

That I would undergo this every day for a month if it meant I would never have another nosebleed should tell you how much I hate nosebleeds.

TLDR version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-01 at 04:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

im gonna go with "well that sucks"

if only because that is a lock of things, all at once.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Maybe!
    You were telling me all the time it wasn't so childish!
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Having acid poured into your nose without anaesthetic isn't as bad as it sounds.

That's about all I'm willing to say in it's favour though.

I am bedridden for the immediate future, hopefully The Internet will be able to cheer me up.
    Sucks. Hope it helps.

This story has the dire task of entertaining a man sneezing acid. Let's see how it does.

Spoiler
    Show

Normally I find portrayals of Pinkie Pie in writing (and in the show) annoying; so far you've done a good job of keeping her bubbly and happy without getting on my nerves. Hope it continues.

I feel like the third sentence is unnecessary.

This sentence is a little weird because it's a strange way to segue out of interest in the food, but I do love the concept that this paragraph is establishing.

Unfortunately the shipping kind at this point kind of hits the core stumbling point that a lot of shipfics have difficulty with: Assuming attraction. I'm speaking in general terms here, understand, and I've been guilty of this myself. There's a bit of a bad reaction going around to shipfics that just assume that one party is interested in the other without explaining why or establishing it correctly. To really do it right, the transition between relationship statuses needs to be treated in more detail.

However, a deep, slow, emotional buildup to a full-fledged lifelong romance doesn't seem to be the objective of this story so much as pasta jokes; as long as it knows that it wants to be a comedy then it should be easy to overlook the assumption as part of the premise.

Short version is I think it'd be funnier if Pinkie stopped kissing Fluttershy all the time to open the floor to more scope for hijinks.

*Continues*

Feel like Pinkie would use 'isn't'.

hokay

I feel like further high brow literary criticism is would be inappropriate at this point.

Oh, hell with it. Let's enjoy the ride.

Final Thoughts:

"Well, this has been... strange."

Eeeyup.

It's a good story, solid punchline, but you really blow your hand early with the shipping. Play Pinkie Pie straight, have her completely unaware of any shipping implication, and have Fluttershy working up the courage to kiss her at the end be a surprise to her. That's the only thing I'd change, and I think the story would be funnier for it.

Otherwise, you shipped ponies in a story about pasta tentacle monsters. I think that's kind of the end of my thought process.

Thanks I hope I accomplished my goal of writing a really silly story

Spoiler
    Show
    About the shipping, the idea I had was that Pinkie always kinda knew that Fluttershy had a crush on her, through her Pinkie Sense (butterflies in her tummy means Fluttershy is watching her or something like that). So they've been going for probably ages, with Pinkie waiting for Fluttershy to make the first move. This story is Pinkie losing her patience and just going all out to make the pegasus confess her love, whatever it takes

I could possibly make this idea more clear. I could also take your advice and make Pinkie clueless, but then I like the idea of Pinkie as a super intelligent mastermind

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Sucks. Hope it helps.

Thanks I hope I accomplished my goal of writing a really silly story
    Mission accomplished.

Spoiler
    Show
    About the shipping, the idea I had was that Pinkie always kinda knew that Fluttershy had a crush on her, through her Pinkie Sense (butterflies in her tummy means Fluttershy is watching her or something like that). So they've been going for probably ages, with Pinkie waiting for Fluttershy to make the first move. This story is Pinkie losing her patience and just going all out to make the pegasus confess her love, whatever it takes

I could possibly make this idea more clear. I could also take your advice and make Pinkie clueless, but then I like the idea of Pinkie as a super intelligent mastermind
    Either make Pinkie clueless or make Pinkie a mastermind playing clueless. There's no tension to the story if we know they're going to get together from their first scene together.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    All my life I have gotten seriously awful nosebleeds. Bad to the point of 'cannot seriously participate in any physical activity without risking one'. I came to hate few things as much as sitting in the nurses' office for the forty five minutes needed for my nose to stop bleeding. I am intimately familiar with the taste of my own blood, and the firsthand knowledge of just how bad it feels to drink blood for extended periods of time is my number one reason why no one should ever become a vampire.

Anyway, I finally reached an age where cauterisation became an option. This process involves the doctor spraying acid into your nose, getting a stick, and pressing it incredibly hard against all the exposed veins in your nostrils (which are, coincidentally, the most sensitive parts). It takes about a minute to do each vein. The first time I had it done was a bit of a nightmare.

This would be the third round I've gone through (last one was about 2 years ago and it's been 95% effective), and it was comparatively minor in terms of the actual operation. However, the after effects of the acid are about the same even if the actual stick-pressing part was rather quick.

So essentially I've got this hypersensitive, unbearably itchy nose which is running heavily. I can't scratch it or rub it as this would defeat the purpose of the cauterisation, which is intended to make sure the interior all scars over. It's awful.

That I would undergo this every day for a month if it meant I would never have another nosebleed should tell you how much I hate nosebleeds.

TLDR version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Believe or not, I have some sympathy. Though I never had that particular problem, until my Lichification, I was forever suffering with colds and mucus - they put me on beconase at a fairly young age to try and combat it (my Mum reckons it probably did more harm than good in the long run, as in later years, they stopped issuing it to kids!) Eventually, only a year or two before I became Undead, they removed my adenoids entirely, which helped, though I still was continuously mucus-y (with a spot or two of blood because the beconase has had a similar effect to what you're undergoing, sorta, though not nearly as uncomfortable).

So I've never had much of a sense of smell, ever (which is why as a Lich I still don't.)

But seriously, ouch, dude. That sucks.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    It isn't. That doesn't stop everyone from having their own preconceptions. Everyone knows, knew for all their lives, that playful pastel ponies are things enjoyed mostly by children, and mostly by girls. That this one show endeavored to change that is something a lot of people still haven't, or don't want to come to terms with. It's only natural, especially for girls themselves who see nothing wrong with ponies being "theirs".

Get your sister to read Fallout:Equestria, see if she still thinks it's "girly" then.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Either make Pinkie clueless or make Pinkie a mastermind playing clueless. There's no tension to the story if we know they're going to get together from their first scene together.
    Hmm, very good point. Thanks

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Believe or not, I have some sympathy. Though I never had that particular problem, until my Lichification, I was forever suffering with colds and mucus - they put me on beconase at a fairly young age to try and combat it (my Mum reckons it probably did more harm than good in the long run, as in later years, they stopped issuing it to kids!) Eventually, only a year or two before I became Undead, they removed my adenoids entirely, which helped, though I still was continuously mucus-y (with a spot or two of blood because the beconase has had a similar effect to what you're undergoing, sorta, though not nearly as uncomfortable).

So I've never had much of a sense of smell, ever (which is why as a Lich I still don't.)
    Hah. I don't have a sense of smell, but I do have a gag reflex. There have been some memorable moments when I've walked along, thinking nothing was wrong, and then randomly started trying to throw up.

Fun.

But seriously, ouch, dude. That sucks.
    Thanks, I appreciate the thought.

But I watched a remarkably generic movie about a mob war, donated to the Seeds of Kindness album (Which is totally worth any amount of money you chose to spend on it), and generally kept myself amused even if it turned out to be a rather slow day in terms of stuff I like updating. With luck I should be able to resume normal operations tomorrow.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-01 at 05:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Get your sister to read Fallout:Equestria, see if she still thinks it's "girly" then.
    She doesn't know english, we're both native Spanish talkers
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-05-01 at 05:57 AM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    What's this? 'By order of the...blah blah blah...Professor Boffinspark is hereby...' OH COME ON! *sigh*
    ...I'm starting to wonder if all this semi-indiscriminant firings of friendship cannons from orbit could cause like, I dunno, friendship cancer or something?
    It can't be good for the environment.

TLDR version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...that can't be good for your environment either. I hope you get well soon!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

TLDR version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Oof. That is several different kinds of terrible. Hopefully some pictures might help?

Spoiler
    Show

And as for your writing challenge, I may have to ask for an extension. I have an idea, even down to the colt's name, I just need to write it. But as of now, I've gotten so little sleep in the last two days that my screen looks 3D. It's equal parts trippy, and equal parts disconcerting, but neither are really conducive to writing anything.

@Luka: Sean pretty much nailed it. No matter the show's actual content, folks will jump to their own conclusions.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

TLDR version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Eurgh. Take it easy Thanq.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    What Sean said

While it can be said that MLP is a bit childish ... overall it's not really any worse in that department than most other "All age" cartoons; e.g. Loony Tunes, Pixar / Dreamworks etc.

I also like to think it's more mature than some live action TV shows I've seen that can't seem to go five minutes without some kind of lowbrow joke (*cough* Big Bang Theory *cough* )

Not that this stops people from passing judgement without having watched MLP for themselves

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

TLDR version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ouch, dude. I sympathize with you. Cauterisation sounded nasty enough in my textbooks and I cannot imagine how unbearable it was in real-life.

18. - Top - End - #408

Spoiler
    Show

TLDR version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Out, I'm sorry you have to go through all that, Thanq :\

Hopefully to help out, here is an acid-related story I can share with you:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So my friend back in middle/high school had a doctor who had made some strange and questionable calls in the past. My friend always got better, but his perscriptions were always these weird atypical things you wouldn't have expected. He'd get better in the end, but it was always a headscratcher as to what actually did the trick.

One week, my friend came down with strep throat, as you do. Goes to the doc, gets diagnosed, gets his medicine from the pharmacy. However, looking at the bottle of fluid they gave him, he sees that the major active ingredient, in fact one of the only ingredients, was hydrochloric acid, to be gargled and spat out a couple times a day.

What he did not see, was the instruction to dilute the acid in at least equal parts water, first.

And that's the story of how my friend burned his throat with hydrochloric acid!

19. - Top - End - #409

[QUOTE=Thanqol;13158060]Spoilers for medical details

Spoiler
    Show

That I would undergo this every day for a month if it meant I would never have another nosebleed should tell you how much I hate nosebleeds?

Wow. 0_0 Hope it helps. Get well soon man. :)
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ouch. Hope you recover soon Thanqol, that sounds most decidedly unpleasant.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    ...I'm starting to wonder if all this semi-indiscriminant firings of friendship cannons from orbit could cause like, I dunno, friendship cancer or something?
    It can't be good for the environment.
    I can assure you that repeat exposure to the OFC is probably completely safe. That said, if any of you start to experience headaches, loss of vision, or acute petrification, you may want to contact your physician. Immediately.

Igor, why are you wearing a smoking jacket?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412

Besides, wouldn't friendship cancer just result in MORE friendship?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Besides, wouldn't friendship cancer just result in MORE friendship?
    No, it would result in pure Friendship itself starting to grow and accumulate in parts of your body which aren't designed to house it, slowly forcing out and consuming your internal organs until there's nothing left but rainbows and skin.

And then you are dead.

24. - Top - End - #414

Adding to the list of Pony Tabletop RPGs:

Sereg's Pony RPG (D10 Homebrew)
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure if this has been shared yet:
    Ponies are not pushovers

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    No, it would result in pure Friendship itself starting to grow and accumulate in parts of your body which aren't designed to house it, slowly forcing out and consuming your internal organs until there's nothing left but rainbows and skin.

And then you are dead.
    To be fair, there's no evidence yet that exposure to the energies of the OFC carries any significant negative side effects.
    Why the OFC runs on exactly the same energies as the Elements of Harmony, and Princess Celestia keeps them right in the middle of Canterlot...contained in a sealed box...which is kept inside a vault...located in a structure isolated from the rest of Canterlot Castle.
    There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

27. - Top - End - #417

And then you are dead.
    Thus allowing you to spread friendship in the afterlife, I fail to see where the problem is?

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Season 2 Pony Awards!
    Most Dramatic Moment
    Note: This is dramatic in the literary sense, not who hammed it up the best.
    I'm gonna nominate Spike's Phoenix-egg decision.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    To be fair, there's no evidence yet that exposure to the energies of the OFC carries any significant negative side effects.
    Why the OFC runs on exactly the same energies as the Elements of Harmony, and Princess Celestia keeps them right in the middle of Canterlot...contained in a sealed box...which is kept inside a vault...located in a structure isolated from the rest of Canterlot Castle.
    There's absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Thus allowing you to spread friendship in the afterlife, I fail to see where the problem is?
    Of course, not only would I not be presumptuous enough to declare dying via Friendship Cancer a problem per-say (especially given ponythreads high living-impaired population figures), I wouldn't think of claiming the OFC causes it either.

On account of I'm pretty sure that it's just a giant space lazer with a couple of coloured candy wrappers placed over the lenses.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-05-01 at 01:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, not only would I not be presumptuous enough to declare dying via Friendship Cancer a problem per-say (especially given ponythreads high living-impaired population figures), I wouldn't think of claiming the OFC causes it either.

On account of I'm pretty sure that it's just a giant space lazer with a couple of coloured candy wrappers placed over the lenses.
    GAH! How did you figure-I mean, don't be ridiculous. A reputable scientist like myself would never stoop to using such ingenious cost-saving methods for over half his fleet of orbital friendship lasers. That would barely produce enough savings to pay for the equipment needed to contruct a cybernetic pancreatic replacement for myself.

My Homebrew

Show