New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLIIV: Season II Ruined My Fanon!

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Had to walk uphill through the asteroid bombardment both ways right?
    "Asteroids? Hah! You and your asteroids! When I were a filly, you had to walk uphill in superheated stellar nursery gases and whistle for the rest!"

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Sooo bit of an odd question here...

Would any of you consider the Changeling queen a "psychopath"?

i've kind of noticed a likely-unhealthy platonic attraction to various psychopaths in several different medias, and i'm wondering whether or not i should add her to the list.

mind you all of the others have done much much MUCH worse then brainwash a guy and start a brief but non-leathal war, but still, not sure if she qualifies or not.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #723
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Now I want to here an old-person rant from Celestia. "Oooh, you modern ponies with your electamatric lights and indoor toliets! In my day, we didn't have no sun, and no moon neither! None of this "oxygen" malarky, but breathed sulphur 'till your lungs melted and you liked it! We didn't drink none of your fansy-shamancy "water", we had molten lava and made do! And don't get me started on this new-fangled "gravity" nonsense!"
    "Ohh, and you call those little lizerds dragons? Why, back in my day there where great old scaly beasts that blocked out the sun with a wing and caused wailing and gnashing of the teeth wherever they went. Why, we even had bigger Ursas and Corey Eels. Ever heard of Rock Wolves, sonny? Big as a rhino and could turn you into stone with a look. I bet you never even heard of Centaurs, ehh? Well, no wonder, because after one called Tirek tried to turn ponies into dragons I rounded them up and sent them into the Everfree. Not that you know what the inside of the Everfree looks like, because back in my day it was a looooot bigger. And made of jagged rock, but not like you know what that would look like."
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-05-04 at 05:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Faust dammit! There goes my third one! That's it, Alabenson, could you build me a cybernetic pancreas? There's way too much pancreas killing cuteness here.

Also, I support FlutterMac, DerpyDoctor, and RariSpike.
    I'd be more than happy to provide you with a Boffinspark Brand cybernetic pancreas replacement. I personally guarantee its ability to continue functioning under up to 30 kilowoonas of pure cuteness (though you may feel a slight horrifically painful pinch past 2-3 woonas).

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    You have standards? Since when?
    To be honest, I was surpised as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    *appears behind Silverraptor*
    this this fun, we should do this more often
    *glomps*
    i do hope those weapons have good IFF systems
    *continues hugging*
    Well, I certainly can't let you two have all the fun. Igor, you know what to do.
    Ook.

Spoiler
    Show

If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Hey guys, I found another reason why Rainbow Dash is Best Pony:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zevox
    So very saved.

Tricky question, but I'm inclined to say 'no'. She's psychopathic by pony standards buuuuuuuuuuuuuut she's not a pony.
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

I colored my text green because it reflected the sound in my head as I typed. It is the difference between speaking in monotone, and speaking in an upbeat, chipper tone with different rhythm. I tied a lot of myself up in it; you may have noticed tonal shift in my posts; I'm "speaking" in an entirely different voice than the last thirty or so threads.
    Well, for what it's worth, I liked the green text. It made you distinctive.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's the first and only argument I've seen for the Green Ending...!
    Bahahahahahaha,
    Oh I need to catch my breath, I just...can't
    Bahahahahaha
    *wipes tear*

Well, my new headcanon is that Mass Effect has a way to remake the universe in the form of ponies. I think that improves it significantly.

Hey, no harm, no foul, man. Just saying so's you know, we're all good.

Well, actually, I'm Evil but you get the general idea.

One o'the perks of Being Elderly is to educate the younger folk be a patronising old bugger. Or something.

And also saying "ooooh, it wasn't like this in my day!"

Now I want to here an old-person rant from Celestia. "Oooh, you modern ponies with your electamatric lights and indoor toliets! In my day, we didn't have no sun, and no moon neither! None of this "oxygen" malarky, but breathed sulphur 'till your lungs melted and you liked it! We didn't drink none of your fansy-shamancy "water", we had molten lava and made do! And don't get me started on this new-fangled "gravity" nonsense!"
    I would think Celestia would have less right to this than most old codgers since she is the one responsible for all that "sunlight" and "functional atmosphere" stuff. If she didn't like it, she could just get rid of it.

Had to walk uphill through the asteroid bombardment both ways right?
    In the snow! During summer! Even when there weren't any seasons.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post

i've kind of noticed a likely-unhealthy platonic attraction to various psychopaths in several different medias, and i'm wondering whether or not i should add her to the list.

mind you all of the others have done much much MUCH worse then brainwash a guy and start a brief but non-leathal war, but still, not sure if she qualifies or not.
    Based on her behavior, I don't think I could classify Chrysalis as a psychopath. She's certainly vicious, malevolent, and evil, but at the same time she seems to be at least capable of caring about her changeling subjects, which would disqualify her from being a psychopath.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

8. - Top - End - #728
    Bugbear in the Playground

It really depends on your definition of "psycopath." The one true psychopath that I think we can all agree on is Pinkamena from the fanfic that must not be mentioned. So if your comparing those two, then no, Chrysalis is not a paychopath. I personally believe that Chrysalis did what she did in an attempt to save her "children." At least, that's what I'm sticking to in my fanfic and headcanon.

@Alabenson, thanks for the cyber pancreas. Is it normal to occasionally taste copper?

One last thing, I may be late on this, but I've listened to every song by NotACleverPony for the past 2 days straight. I'm glad s/he's coming back. We need more music like this.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

9. - Top - End - #729

I have a slightly more serious question to ask.

I just had a friend critique my choice to watch MLP, choosing to invalidate my choice by questioning its nature. He said I'm only watching the show because it's something most people wouldn't do, that I was purposely being a hipster. He argued because I tried watching MLP for that reason that that's the reason I even enjoy it. It was really invalidating and made me feel really low. I genuinely like the show.

The question here is how do you deal with people like this? I'm trying not to let it affect me but this was really good friend and he's trying to cause a divide because of what he thinks is right or wrong. Ugh, I hate people sometimes.

What should I do?
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    It really depends on your definition of "psycopath." The one true psychopath that I think we can all agree on is Pinkamena from the fanfic that must not be mentioned. So if your comparing those two, then no, Chrysalis is not a paychopath. I personally believe that Chrysalis did what she did in an attempt to save her "children." At least, that's what I'm sticking to in my fanfic and headcanon.

@Alabenson, thanks for the cyber pancreas. Is it normal to occasionally taste copper?

One last thing, I may be late on this, but I've listened to every song by NotACleverPony for the past 2 days straight. I'm glad s/he's coming back. We need more music like this.
    I wouldn't worry about the aftertaste, that's probably a perfectly normal side effect of having a vital organ replaced with an experimental cybernetic implant by an unlicensed ponysane scientist.
    One word of warning, though, if you hear a beeping sound and can see a subcutaneous red light flashing, you’ll need to see a doctor. Because that means your implant is about to hit 500 degrees, and we’ll want to get it out of there immediately.

My Homebrew

Show

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

I say less than two weeks before a beta is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Contest Entrants!
    Oh poo, I completely forgot about this.

Now I'm obligated to link this.

I have no idea if this is referencing anything, but it's pretty cool looking.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trollestia, or Xanalestia? You decide:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh Luna, you clearly have too much free time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Discorderly Conduct is quickly becoming my favourite Tumblr.
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyone know where this Grogar fella is from?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

12. - Top - End - #732

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post

I just had a friend critique my choice to watch MLP, choosing to invalidate my choice by questioning its nature. He said I'm only watching the show because it's something most people wouldn't do, that I was purposely being a hipster. He argued because I tried watching MLP for that reason that that's the reason I even enjoy it. It was really invalidating and made me feel really low. I genuinely like the show.

The question here is how do you deal with people like this? I'm trying not to let it affect me but this was really good friend and he's trying to cause a divide because of what he thinks is right or wrong. Ugh, I hate people sometimes.

What should I do?
    I'd say ask him where he got those faulty mind reading powers. Because he clearly doesn't know why you like it.

In a more serious manner, you could always ignore it.

But if he's the one bringing it up, and looking for reasons to bring it up just to harp on the show I would say just point out what you like about the show, from the simplistic art style, the interesting characters, the good old times humor that is present within the show. Even just pointing out that you like it because it entertains you.

If that doesn't work, ask him why it really matters why you like a show. If it doesn't have a bearing on your friendship, then he should just drop it and accept that you like a show for reasons that are your own, and not just because people don't do it. (Which is a ridiculous reason anyway, are there actually people who go "Well no one else watches/listens/plays this, so I MUST JUST TO SHOW THAT I DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD" )

You could also just say he's in no position to be deciding why you like a show, and that it's insulting to hear him say that you only do it because it's unconventional.

There are really a number of ways to deal with this depending on how close the friendship is, and on how well he takes criticism/backbone/questions.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

grogar is a villain from a previous mlp generation.

chrys isn't a psychopath, she's evil by her nature as a changeling. i mean, really, her biology demands her kind feed on love.
    what makes her any more evil than a livestock farmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Well, I certainly can't let you two have all the fun. Igor, you know what to do.
    Ook.

Spoiler
    Show

*pops limbs back into place*
    *stands up*
    *falls over*
    *realizes a leg is missing*
    NOT....
    OVER...
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-05-04 at 06:21 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    INow I'm obligated to link this.
    I love that sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc
    Anyone know where this Grogar fella is from?
    According to a quick google search, he appears to be another G1 villain. (Presumably from later in the series. For my sins, my sister only had the first two episodes on DVD, and I don't think MLP ever aired on UK television (except maybe in the early days of cable, before we got it, I dunno); else, yes, I probably would have watched it. (Hell, I went to MLP the Movie at the cinema. Fair's fair, my sister came to see Transformers with us so...))

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    There are really a number of ways to deal with this depending on how close the friendship is, and on how well he takes criticism/backbone/questions.
    Yeah, pretty much what Merellis said.

Though I'd personally beat him to death with his own spleen for daring to question me, but I'm a tad more extreme than most...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-04 at 06:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

*pops limbs back into place*
    *stands up*
    *falls over*
    *realizes a leg is missing*
    NOT....
    OVER...
    I would almost feel sorry for you, however, I have not forgotten your previous atrocities.

*wheels over now completed anti-brony laser*
    *aims*
    warning, proceed with caution
    Spoiler
    Show
    *shoots fluttershy*
    I WILL HAVE VENGANCE!

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

Show

16. - Top - End - #736

No way is Chrysalis a psychopath based on what we saw in the finale. Ponies are her food source, not her peers. I don't think she ever did anything to cause meaningless pain for her own amusement.

I have been surprised by how many fans seem to want her to be a helpless woobie worthy of pity and redemption rather than a brutal-by-necessity ruler. I'd say she's unashamedly evil by pony standards but I like her that way.

It's weird, how people think they need to resolve the cognitive dissonance they feel about liking an evil character by insisting "Well, they're ACTUALLY good/not that bad so it's OK for me to like them and be a good person at the same time." Enjoying a character doesn't mean you endorse their actions

What should I do?
    I'd ask him how he came up with this idea that you only like it to be "different." If you remember why you DID start watching the show maybe mention why that was. But I'd just tell him that he's wrong. He can't possibly have any kind of evidence that you really feel that way. But I wouldn't bring it up with him again and agree to disagree.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that two friends can sometimes have very different opinions, even contradictory ones, and that can create tension in a relationship. But as long as both ponies respect the other's right to their own opinion it doesn't have to create a wedge in their friendship; They can agree to disagree.

Your Faithful Student,
    Twilight Sparkle
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

I WILL HAVE VENGANCE!

Spoiler
    Show
    You might want something stronger then a teleportation portal to the most benign setting ever.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-05-04 at 07:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...Has anyone else noticed that during season 1, episode 1 (the pilot), during the return of Nightmare Moon when all the ponies are cowering the Cutiemark Crusaders are huddling together in fear, when at this point they had not yet met each other? Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, I don't think the label fits her very well. She's ruthless and cruel enough, but I'd attribute this to a disregard for anyone except her own people, not a lack of any conscience. For all we know, Changelings could have their own set of morals.

What should I do?
    Well, sometimes the simple solution is best. You should let him now how you feel. Explain that you honestly find the show entertaining and don't like that he isn't taking you at your word. Tell him you're insulted he believes you watch the show just to act like a hipster. It's your opinion, and your friend should respect that.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2012-05-04 at 07:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    ...Has anyone else noticed that during season 1, episode 1 (the pilot), during the return of Nightmare Moon when all the ponies are cowering the Cutiemark Crusaders are huddling together in fear, when at this point they had not yet met each other? Weird.
    Short: Yes.
    Long: Yes, and there are fanons to explain it. It's a plothole.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Short: Yes.
    Long: Yes, and there are fanons to explain it. It's a plothole.
    Drat. Cursed people who pay attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

*appears behind Silverraptor*
    this this fun, we should do this more often
    *glomps*
    i do hope those weapons have good IFF systems
    *continues hugging*
    It worked. I have won!

true enough. but our objective here is to hurt you, not kill you.
    since your last death didn't stick, and in fact moved you somewhere else, the best course of action here seems to be slow painful torture.

*wheels over now completed anti-brony laser*
    *aims*
    warning, proceed with caution
    Spoiler
    Show
    *shoots fluttershy*
    I WILL HAVE VENGANCE!

Spoiler
    Show

You might want something stronger then a teleportation portal to the most benign setting ever.
    Yes, please. Allow me. Since he decided to come in for a hug...
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-05-04 at 07:21 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

23. - Top - End - #743

Grogar, for greater specificity, is one of the most popular G1 villains. I haven't made a particular study, but I'd imagine he's just under Tirac in popularity.

He ruled the extraplanar city of Tambelon, which seems to have formerly been part of Ponyland. After kidnapping all the unicorns when they teleported (which was a universal unicorn ability in G1), he brought Tambelon back into contact with Ponyland and used goblinoid slaves to imprison nearly all the ponies. (Incidentally, I never did figure out why those forcecages worked on the seaponies.) Long story short, he was defeated and sent back out of the prime material plane, implicitly for good, and all the ponies were safe. You can get the details starting here.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

*walks out from behind a nearby lamppost*
    monster, you say?
    no, my little bronie, this
    Spoiler
    Show

is a monster. i call him gummy. we're going to have so much fun once his family gets here.
    Um. That thing you're calling 'Gummy'? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a family. I grew it in a vat, after all. Admittedly it wasn't as secure, sterile or modern a facility as the blender-run-off tanks on the Bleak Despair(the place was literally ancient) but I definately grew it in a vat.

I'm really, almost entirely sure it doesn't have a family. Admittedly I've also no idea how it can crawl inside of the angle between two surfaces or hide underneath a shadow, but that's beside the point.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-05-04 at 07:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Barbarian in the Playground

....Wow....
    I just read Fallout Equestria, and as Fallout 3 fan, I'm flattered!
    It's pretty different to it (Or maybe I played it differently ), but it's still cool man
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #746

Grogar

edit: man I need to be faster, well, this is a shorter summary video if you didn't want to sit through the whole G1 episode.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-05-04 at 07:54 PM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

*ashes where thubby was laying blow away*
    *echoing from everywhere*
    you really aught not to have done that.
    im not nigh indestructible like aotrs or some walking time anomaly like thanqol.
    *reappears under a nearby tree*
    do you have any idea what it's like to not exist? I'll tell you, it's not conducive to ones mental health, and im already not entirely well

*turns to leave*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Um. That thing you're calling 'Gummy'? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a family. I grew it in a vat, after all. Admittedly it wasn't as secure, sterile or modern a facility as the blender-run-off tanks on the Bleak Despair(the place was literally ancient) but I definately grew it in a vat.

I'm really, almost entirely sure it doesn't have a family. Admittedly I've also no idea how it can crawl inside of the angle between two surfaces or hide underneath a shadow, but that's beside the point.
    oh, i know that, silly. But everyone should have a family, so i made more.
    *rips open a piece of reality, revealing a blackness teeming with "gummies"*
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-05-04 at 08:08 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

What should I do?
    Bunch of good advice here already. I would add the following suggestion.

From your statement, I get the sense that you did get into MLP just because it was different, but then found, to your surprise, that you genuinely enjoyed it. So when dealing with your friend, it can help immensely to cop to that. If you tell him "yep, you're 100% right I was being hipster, but now I really like it" then it comes across as way less confrontational than telling him that he's totally wrong and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also, has he watched the series yet?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

What should I do?
    it doesn't really matter why you like something. that you DO like it should be good enough for you and anyone else. anyone who tries to make you feel bad about that is just being needlessly unkind.

now i realize that doesn't give a whole lot of solace (to someone your age? this feels like a highschool thing), and it takes a certain sense of self, so lets take a crack at this logically.

the highlighted text is an argument that just doesn't work.
    if you went to see a movie because it got good reviews, then liked it, did you like it because of the reviews? of course not.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Dear Princess Celestia

Today I learned something amazing! Everypony everywhere has a special magical connection with her friends, maybe even before she's met them. If you're feeling lonely and you're still searching for your true friends, just look up in the sky. Who knows, maybe you and your future best friends are all looking at the same rainbow.

Gross! When did you get to be so cheesy?

Just write it, Spike!

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    ....Wow....
    I just read Fallout Equestria, and as Fallout 3 fan, I'm flattered!
    It's pretty different to it (Or maybe I played it differently ), but it's still cool man
    Augh, I think that's the only fanfiction to give me PTSD flashbacks ...

*Auiwgawhgawghgiughjth*

Only one cure. Imagebombs!

(Warning experts estimate minor pancreatic damage may result)
    Spoiler
    Show

Hakuna Mattata folks!