New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLIIV: Season II Ruined My Fanon!

Quote Originally Posted by TimeForSP View Post
    Hello bronies of the internet. I have been "sent here" by this guy because stuff and things.

Rainbow Dash is best pony. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    All credit to Crisis21 for this assemblage of OoTS ponies! Give praise!

*snip*
    No Xykon pony?

Want to play this game so bad. it looks like pure awesomeness (seriously, imagine pegasi ninjas infiltrating earth pony steampunk airships):
    Spoiler
    Show

More info here.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

So please I beg you- No more pony avatars or captions.

Sadly you're up against the issue of freedom of speech and expression.

Let's say you got your will and people couldn't have a pony avatar or turn a non-pony image into a pony joke. Well, let's then assume I don't like Star Wars (I don't don't like SW, but let's assume it) then I'd be justified in demanding that no one can ever have a SW themed avatar or make a silly SW caption.

And then someone else will get all uppity about... I don't know, anonymous accounts and demanding that you can't have an avatar that isn't a picture of you, that you must identify yourself!

And so on and so forth. Gets dangerous down that road.

If you don't like ponies that's fine, just move on and let the people have their fun. If someone's forcing you to watch ponies, like Clockwork Orange style can't-look-away, then you have something to complain about certainly. But you don't want people telling you what you can say, or write on a picture, or show in your profile, do you? I'm sure you really don't, if you think about it
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-05-05 at 01:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. I gotta take a stand. I have to ask the rabid pony fanbase to stop being so rabid....Here it goes.....

Hello pony fanbase. I am very happy for you that you find this show nice. Im not one of those idiots that screams "SHOWZ FOR TEH GURELS YOU SUXORS!LOLOLOLOLOL".

But I just want to ask you something. You have a tendency to do something that simply drives me bonkers. You mean no ill harm to me when you do this but.....can you please stop ponifying things?

This means avatars, Pony captions exetera. I get it. You like your show. But I don't have to know about it.

It bugs me that many fans think that just adding ponies makes whatever their talking about inherently more funny.

Like Random thing+Pony= 100% more funny.

Im not sure how to explain my non-brony standpoint but:

Every time I see a pony caption I see "The cake is a lie". Or "Can I haz cheesburger?". I have seen it a thousand times before. Its no longer funny.

And every time I see a pony avatar I get reminded of a pony caption.

Yes I was the guy that got rather agressive on april fools about the pony issue for the same reason. I apologize for that. Mostly because I felt squeezed out. Why must the joke be only funny for pony fans?

Welp. This is hopeless. This is going to backfire horribly and nothing is going to change. But this is what has been sitting on my mind for a while. I have been trying to suppress it for a long time but I just can't take it anymore.
    I appreciate how polite you're being. It's nice.

To answer your question, no.

Your opinion is no more important than mine. When you see somethign that bugs you, I see something that makes me smile. Neither of us is more important than the other. We're gonna keep on making crossovers and memes, because we enjoy doing it. We're sorry for irritating you, but you don't take priority.

tl;dr, thanks for being polite, but deal with it.[/blunt]
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel a little better? I don't know. Im honesty sick of this pony trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Let's say you got your will and people couldn't have a pony avatar or turn a non-pony image into a pony joke. Well, let's then assume I don't like Star Wars (I don't don't like SW, but let's assume it) then I'd be justified in demanding that no one can ever have a SW themed avatar or make a silly SW caption.
    Star wars is so heavily ingrained in the public consciousness, fiction tropes that its like avoiding anything lord of the rings related. I will know about it through pure osmosis alone.

I don't make lord of the rings captions. And I don't see many around.

I think this has more to do with the shear scope of the fanbase, and the overtly loud hype surrounding the show.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-05-05 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Barbarian in the Playground

I admit, it becomes really annoying sometimes, though, someone gets used to it after a while.... At least that's what I did, not sure of you. Or do like I did: completely bypass whatever had ponies in it, like scrolling down.

It comes from a non-brony that used to rage whenever he found them too
    I just have the avvy for messing around and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    No Xykon pony?
    There was Xykon, but link exploded
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-05-05 at 02:01 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

In hindsight it has more to do with the scope of the fanbase then anything.

If ANY show had this massive of a fanbase the end result will be the same:

Join us or be really annoyed till you genuinely want a good show to jump the shark just so it freaking ends already!
    A little condescending

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Star wars is so heavily ingrained in the public consciousness, fiction tropes that its like avoiding anything lord of the rings related. I will know about it through pure osmosis alone.

Just an example. Perhaps you're not spending a lot of time in the right circles to notice the SW stuff. SW is also way older than FiM and has had time to become acceptable, and time for the first novelty to wear off quite a bit. But take any other example you like.

Pop music? Teenage idols? Lots of that around and everywhere, and I'm sure it makes some people grit their teeth to tiny stubs.

I do have my own dislikes, and some of them happen to be difficult to avoid for me. I just deal with it, because you can't go around censoring people unless what they're doing is actually illegal or harmful.

8. - Top - End - #818

In hindsight it has more to do with the scope of the fanbase then anything.

If ANY show had this massive of a fanbase the end result will be the same:

Join us or be really annoyed till you genuinely want a good show to jump the shark just so it freaking ends already!
    As far I've seen (at least here, the others outside were like "BLASPHEMY" when I said I preferend MW3 ), the're not really like that, they really do that "love and tolerate" stuff (though I find it irritating when they keep saying it )
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-05-05 at 02:05 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

I was about to write something but then I realized my futility.

I just don't know what to say? What to do about a show that annoys me through shear size?

I just want it to END already. No other show/ pop culture piece is this intrusive on the internet.

I genuinely want the show to jump the shark (With a gigantic jump over a 3 story flaming naga shark) so all this ends.

Im out. Sorry to stir this up. I can't take it anymore.
    A little condescending

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno. I see those around sometimes.

But more to the point, folks have just as much right to ponify an avatar as they do put a top hat and monocle on it. At the end of the day, it's their choice on how they express themselves. Saying folks can't use some topics out of annoyance is a rather slippery slope. And since anything else I'd say has pretty much been covered already, I'll just echo what's already been said; sorry, but I'm not stopping.

That being said, massive props on being polite about all of this. It's refreshing to not get yelled at by somebody who dislikes ponies.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just an example. Perhaps you're not spending a lot of time in the right circles to notice the SW stuff. SW is also way older than FiM and has had time to become acceptable, and time for the first novelty to wear off quite a bit. But take any other example you like.

Pop music? Teenage idols? Lots of that around and everywhere, and I'm sure it makes some people grit their teeth to tiny stubs.

I do have my own dislikes, and some of them happen to be difficult to avoid for me. I just deal with it, because you can't go around censoring people unless what they're doing is actually illegal or harmful.
    Note: Not directed at you, just following a train of thought that got started in my head from this post.

Twilight, American Idol, Jersey Shore, Avatar, Star Wars Prequels.

All of those have a large fanbase and that's awesome for them, all of them also have a large amount of people that hate it and that's awesome for the ones that hate it. Both sides have individuals who take it too far and into the creepy zone.

But those are individuals and do not represent the fanbase as a whole. If people are bringing up things on the internet about a franchise or culture you don't like, I would suggest ignoring it and just moving on.

People are going to put on a Pony themed Avatar, people who make funny movies and are fans of MLP are going to use MLP with movie trailers and movie scenes because it entertains them and they think it's funny.

Just as Twilight fans are going to love Edward and Twilight haters are going to want him staked. Just as American Idol fans are going to kick me off the couch when I'm trying to kill the final boss because it starts in thirty minutes and American Idol haters are going to rage when I watch the auditions because I think they're funny as hell sometimes.

Every fandom has a reach here in the internet, and people are going to make their avatars, make silly posters, make movies, fanart, fanfiction, games, music and the like.

You can't stop it for any franchise, so why this one in particular?
    Last edited by Merellis; 2012-05-05 at 02:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, btw...

Cat pictures nuff said

13. - Top - End - #823
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, in a topic that is entirly unrelated to anything currantly being talked about, today is the Kentuky Derby. You know, that little horse race that a few people go to? Yeah, I am going there and I am betting the life out of my wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

14. - Top - End - #824

Well we don't have pony avatars because we want you to look at them. We have pony avatars because we like to look at them. We aren't pushing it on you, we're just having fun here in our thread.

So... Sorry dude, I can't here you over the sound of how awesome my totally canon ponyfied Jeff Bridges avatar is.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

15. - Top - End - #825

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    So, in a topic that is entirly unrelated to anything currantly being talked about, today is the Kentuky Derby. You know, that little horse race that a few people go to? Yeah, I am going there and I am betting the life out of my wallet.
    So you're betting lives? I CAN'T BELIEVE MAH EYES

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

WARNING: Posting in ponythread is a good sign its too late and you're already infected. (Don't laugh its happened)

Anyways more seriously doesn't work like that. Pop culture starts at the bottom and the meme spreads from there. Its vector or scale is irrelevant, be it word of mouth or over the net. Its entirely possible that in 20 or 60 years nopony will remember Star Wars much but FiM will be a timeless classic.

You can't establish some kind of popularity threshold at which people are suddenly allowed to reference things. Its textbook censorship, sorry.

17. - Top - End - #827

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    WARNING: Posting in ponythread is a good sign its too late and you're already infected. (Don't laugh its happened)
    Odd....I still don't like the show
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, btw...

Cat pictures nuff said
    Yeah those get a little old, as do Arrow to the knee jokes.

But anyway like the others said thanks for not raging but frankly you just have to deal with it. For example I'm one of those that would rather spongebob squarepants would just die (even before others started to think it had been going on too long) and I still wince when I hear the theme song. But I deal with it, heck I even have come to realize that there are some moments that are pretty darn funny. So when folks at my school go off on a SBSP tangent I just calmly ignore them (I admit previously I raged but I stopped that when I got to high school)

So if you don't like it ignore it, it's not like if you run into a few pony references it's going to ruin your day. (And if it does I think you're taking things a little too seriously)

On an unrelated note I think I'm going to adopt that Vaarsuvius pony avatar as soon as I get permission from the creator, just a heads up for that list
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    There's more to pony than the show. It's the community that makes it special to a lot of folks. And it's the community that'll drag you in. I mean, you've read and enjoyed Fallout: Equestria already, right? Pony's already got you. Indirectly, but it's got you... (And you're posting a lot on this thread, too, right?)

I mean, about half of the time, I'm posting utter rubbish, but this lot are daft enough to encourage me anyway...

Let me ask you this: what other francise do you know of that has inspired a guy to go out one day a year and give muffins to random passersby, just because it's a nice thing to do?

(Yes, Thanqol actually does this. I know, I was as flabbergasted as you probably are when that came up. It's just... not something that happens normally, is it?)

When on form, the pony fandom is at least as much about "hey, I know, let's be nice to each other for a change" as it is the show themselves. (Of course, with such an expansive fanbase, you also get a proportional amount of people who aren't on form, but hey, that's the way it goes. Every modest-sized group of people has a few complete pillocks, be it a group of fans or anyone else...)

I think FiM is something akin to the internet culture what Harry Potter was to literature (and Pokemon in it's heyday was probably as prevalently visible in mainstream culture.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-05 at 02:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok. I gotta take a stand. I have to ask the rabid pony fanbase to stop being so rabid....Here it goes.....

Hello pony fanbase. I am very happy for you that you find this show nice. Im not one of those idiots that screams "SHOWZ FOR TEH GURELS YOU SUXORS!LOLOLOLOLOL".

But I just want to ask you something. You have a tendency to do something that simply drives me bonkers. You mean no ill harm to me when you do this but.....can you please stop ponifying things?

This means avatars, Pony captions exetera. I get it. You like your show. But I don't have to know about it.

It bugs me that many fans think that just adding ponies makes whatever their talking about inherently more funny.

Like Random thing+Pony= 100% more funny.

Im not sure how to explain my non-brony standpoint but:

Every time I see a pony caption I see "The cake is a lie". Or "Can I haz cheesburger?". I have seen it a thousand times before. Its no longer funny.

And every time I see a pony avatar I get reminded of a pony caption.

Yes I was the guy that got rather agressive on april fools about the pony issue for the same reason. I apologize for that. Mostly because I felt squeezed out. Why must the joke be only funny for pony fans?

Welp. This is hopeless. This is going to backfire horribly and nothing is going to change. But this is what has been sitting on my mind for a while. I have been trying to suppress it for a long time but I just can't take it anymore.
    One other thing. We in no way speak for the pony fandom. Nor do we have the right to.

Also, if it's any consolation, we can't change your opinion on the show, either.

21. - Top - End - #831

And yet you keep posting here. That's exactly how it starts.

On the topic of the show being invasive, that was pretty much inevitable, I guess. It was a perfect storm, in more ways than one. It had a combination of all the good things that can happen to an animated show (great creative team, great animation team, great new channel), plus a benevolent disposition of the rights owner that allowed the show to spread, plus it has received, from the outset, the support of a large part of the "core of the internet", the meme-generator that is 4chan. Add in the extra layer of surprise from a typical toy-ad girly pony show turned into something not just watchable, but good, and you get what you see - a massive popularity explosion, complete with overpressure shockwave and radioactive fallout. The overpressure is the hype aversion that pushes potential watchers away, and the fallout is what you experience - oversaturation and annoyance. Both are inevitable side effects of something of this magnitude, and will only recede with time. For most people, ponies will just blend into the "background radiation" and stop annoying them, so you can only keep on truckin', I guess.

And others have also said this, but it bears repeating. My (metaphorical) hat off to you, Scowling Dragon, for being calm and civil when expressing yourself on a topic like this. Maybe you don't like how this show has invaded everything, but you, sir, are a brony* where it actually counts.

*(sorry, I really don't like the term, but couldn't find anything more descriptive)
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, btw...

Cat pictures nuff said
    There is only one thing I can say to this.

Spoiler
    Show
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

And yet you hang around with a ponytar.

I'll casually diagnose this as a lingering bit of infection stage one. Should clear up when we start to get amped for season three in a few months at the latest.

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    And yet you keep posting here. That's exactly how it starts.
    wait it's that slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    There's more to pony than the show. It's the community that makes it special to a lot of folks. And it's the community that'll drag you in. I mean, you've read and enjoyed Fallout: Equestria already, right? Pony's already got you. Indirectly, but it's got you... (And you're posting a lot on this thread, too, right?)
    Yeah, it's pretty much the community....Well at least part of it, some others are pretty aggresive with it.

I pretty much liked it, though it's more about "GRIMDARKNESS" than Fallout, that's why I had the idea of the humanborn , cuz when I played Fallout 3 it involved more action, akin to charging headlong in chinese assault rifle/combat shotgun blazing . It felt completely like the Broken Steel Trailer, and it was awesome

Let me ask you this: what other francise do you know of that has inspired a guy to go out one day a year and give muffins to random passersby, just because it's a nice thing to do?
    playing videogames since I'm 4 years old and always picking the "good" path?
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

wait it's that slow?
    It took me months of cautious lurking to start posting here. And even more months before that before watching the show despite the constant themes and memes I was seeing everywhere.

So yes, its slow. But relatively painless process. Except for the moment you realize you're infected, thats the most painful.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-05-05 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

26. - Top - End - #836

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    All credit to Crisis21 for this assemblage of OoTS ponies! Give praise!

Spoiler
    Show
    Haley, sporting double ponytails, by Crown of Thorns. Adopted by azuyomi244.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ooooh. I like.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mint Julips for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    Note: Not directed at you, just following a train of thought that got started in my head from this post.

Twilight, American Idol, Jersey Shore, Avatar, Star Wars Prequels.
    how could you forget Katching Klap with the Kardashians?
    oh yeah, my picks.. Gemologist or Hansen
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-05-05 at 04:58 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-05-08 at 07:52 PM.
    A little condescending

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, about half of the time, I'm posting utter rubbish, but this lot are daft enough to encourage me anyway...

(Yes, Thanqol actually does this. I know, I was as flabbergasted as you probably are when that came up. It's just... not something that happens normally, is it?)

When on form, the pony fandom is at least as much about "hey, I know, let's be nice to each other for a change" as it is the show themselves. (Of course, with such an expansive fanbase, you also get a proportional amount of people who aren't on form, but hey, that's the way it goes. Every modest-sized group of people has a few complete pillocks, be it a group of fans or anyone else...)

I think FiM is something akin to the internet culture what Harry Potter was to literature (and Pokemon in it's heyday was probably as prevalently visible in mainstream culture.)
    *Agrees with the evil, undead abomination of a lich.*

*Registers shock at what he's done.*

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    *Agrees with the evil, undead abomination of a lich.*

*Registers shock at what he's done.*
    I don't see what's so shocking about that. Sure, he's an evil, monstrous, violent crime against nature, but he frequently makes a great deal of sense.
    Plus, any supporter of SpikexRarity can't be all bad.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show