New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLIIV: Season II Ruined My Fanon!

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Huh. Ticking. Odd. Why would I send a ticking thing? Unless it's a bomb, but if it is, why did I make it tick? That's daft, 'cos there are so many better ways.

*shrug*

*unwraps package*

Huh. It is a bomb. Hopereaver, did you know I made a ticking bomb?

*from cowering behind a console*

Shouldn't you, um, get rid of it!?

Pssh. Oh ye of little faith. Honestly, this sort of bomb is easy to disarm you just - there - pull all the wires out.

*ticking stops*

They're ridiculously easy to disarm.

Yes, but YOU made that!

So?

So, even in a state of delerium, would you have made an easily disarmed bomb?

No, I'd have have made something that looked ridiculously easy to disarm, but was in fact, actually activated by being disarmed and set to go off a short while afterwards, thus lulling the poor victims into a false sense of secu...

ohhh.

*KABOOM*

I'm okay.

Pahahahahahahaha!
    Er, Hopereaver, are you okay in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Well, it's been about three months since I last really wrote anything I had any expectation of finishing, but I think I've got the ducks in my head sorted out by now. It's time to commit. Time to find the time if it's there, and make it if it's not.

Easy As Lying is going to happen at long last.

And good gosh golly gumdrops I love writing for Rarity.
    Oh happy day, kaloo kalay! I'll read this presently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    One day, Aotrs will come into the thread. And rather than being villainous comic relief, he will be Not So Harmless and you will all know fear.

Then I'll ruin it with a mass resurrection and the dramatic tension will cry, but wow we're too chummy with the evil lich. xD
    I'm sorry, but this has to be my response to this.

Regarding pony evolution: I would be especially careful given that the world includes both Discord and ponies that are capable of raising and lowering the sun as well as controlling the elements. Presumably intelligence itself was highly valuable for them as a means to make the entire world more productive, since intelligence allows complex planning for the future such as long-term rain and crop schedules. But how we got to the point of ponies controlling nature is still a mystery, and could just as likely have been Discord having a long-term laugh as it could be some intrinsic natural property of the pony world.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-05-10 at 03:21 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh ... heh ... bahahahahaaahahahahaha

Fun comic: read all four parts.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post

too unrealistic, terran isn't highest ranked
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post

I've pretty much had the same reaction as the Koreans

....Oh wait it's not Brood War
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-05-10 at 04:58 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    I've pretty much had the same reaction as the Koreans

....Oh wait it's not Brood War
    My thoughts exactly.

Sweetie Belle (and unicorns in general) favoring protoss did make sense though, and I can see how hardworking earthponies would get terran. Zerg to pegasi seems more a of a default.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello good sirs/misstresses. I am in a bit of a pickle and I need some help. One of the primary elements of my story is the war that happens during it, and that's where I hit the snag. I need population and military numbers for the following factions.

Gryphon Empire (need a specific # of airships as well. Preferably something over 30.)

Diamond Dog Consortium

Changeling Swarm

Buffalo Tribes

Zebra Tribes

If anyone is interested, simply PM me. I wish not to clog the glorious realm of pony thread.

On a slightly more positive note. I now beleive that Derpy in a beret is the best Derpy there is.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Farmgirl or southern is an archetype. Hick is a stereotype.
    A stereotype is an archetype viewed negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Sweetie Belle (and unicorns in general) favoring protoss did make sense though, and I can see how hardworking earthponies would get terran. Zerg to pegasi seems more a of a default.
    Pegasi have good taste :P
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I'm suspicous of any time some attempts to asses the results of evolution from a functional stand point, nothing for example has to force an adaptation beyond say competition between dragons. Unless we can see the progress I'd find it highly suspicious to attempt to divine the why.

Also well we have to establish the premise "evolve" first I think before questioning its results. Because we have good reason to question the most basic of physics (Think Equestria is a flat planet at the center of its universe) the basis for chemistry and biology is undermined. And well we need magic to make dragons work anyways, how does that influence things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    I'll echo other people and suggest that the big, scary things that forced Dragons into the air was other Dragons. A biological arms race prompted by intra-species competition, an evolutionary civil war, if you will. The remnants of this war can be seen in specimens like Crackles - the draconic gene-pool hasn't quite stabilised after the latest upheaval.
    I dunno, here I am presenting an opportunity to really get creative with a mythic prehistoric terror or world shaking proportions, and all you lot can say is "nah, mate, s'dragons."

You are so boring!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Short-Faced Ursas?
    Now we're gettin' somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic
    I present to you the former terror of the dark times:
    See now that's more like what I'm talk...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic
    roughly five foot tall, with shoulders nearly as wide, these canine creatures are bipedal, a rarity usaly only found in several strange creatures normaly only found in the outskirts of Tarterus. Known primaraly for there pack mentality, with increadably long and potent claws able to cut into solid rock. Formed hive-like tunnel systems in search for gems, which they consumed in small amounts to enjoy the inherently magical substance's effect on there minds. As such, one of there most effective ways of obtaining said gems was to cave in the dwelling of sleeping dragons and scooping up vast quantites of gems with each paw swipe.Even if a dragon lived after the cave-in, the dogs would simply claw there way into them no less easier than rock. Dragonkind may be adapted to fight off even Ursas or Rocs, but even they can be slain by trickery and ambushes.

Eventualy, there was not enough easy stores (sleeping dragons) of gems, and without widespread use of the magical substances the creatures where eventualy reduced to a few small, scattered pockets. These sad creatures, once one of the greatest creatures produced by the land of Equestria, now are reduced to kidnapping ponies and forcing them to locate gems for some vague feeling of self-hatred.

*skullpalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    Ooh
    Ooh
    I know this one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, okay, maybe.

Regarding pony evolution: I would be especially careful given that the world includes both Discord and ponies that are capable of raising and lowering the sun as well as controlling the elements. Presumably intelligence itself was highly valuable for them as a means to make the entire world more productive, since intelligence allows complex planning for the future such as long-term rain and crop schedules. But how we got to the point of ponies controlling nature is still a mystery, and could just as likely have been Discord having a long-term laugh as it could be some intrinsic natural property of the pony world.
    That assumes that Celestia and Discord are older than evolution. I doubt Discord sprang out of nothing and is millions of years old.

*sigh*

If you want job doin'...

Mammals were not the first intelligence to arise. Not even the second or the third. They are the late-comers. There are older and more terrible things that have ruled the world long before the tread of mammals. Things whose distant rule harks back to a time when there were no mammals; before dinosaurs before reptiles, before amphibians, before fish - before vertebrates. For years untold, they have survived in the dark places of the world, far from sight or thought, as the vertebrates stole the world that was THEIRS by right. For unnumbered millenia, They were as nought, thinking no thoughts, just surviving in the darkness, in the depths, were only a handful of vertebrates could survive, and only the most primative at that.

But as time passed, the mindless, tiny hate of the usurpers, of the world stolen by the prey that had become too uppity, perculated in the silent places of the world. It was like faith, but streched over eons in miniscule amounts that in a world free of magic, would have vanished utterly. But it accreted over the march of centuries, until it began to form Them, and in the forming of Their racial memory, Their hate became strong and stronger still, reinforcing itself until, at last, some measure of intelligence came to Them. Enough to rival the vertebrates. And magic, raw and unrefined from the deepest places, permeated Their very beings. Enough that They began to move out of the deep realms, slowly but surely, to infest the land and the surface with Their nascent might.

And, for a time, once again, They ruled, and the vertebrates were Their prey. Their merest touch set lethal poisons through, targeting the very thing that made vertebrates special, causing paralysis and rapid death. A constant, creeping terror with near-impenetrable metal-laced armour, stalking out of the darkness to slay and devour. Their most terrible power was Their stealth. The masters of concealment and ambush, They had become invisible and silent in the darkness, leaving no smell, retreating only in the light of day into an impenetable metallic shell, impervious to the attacks of animals.

An evolutionary arms-race began, as They began to dominate the natural world, unstoppable and untouchable.

The dragons took to the air, and became huge, relying on force of natural arms to carry the day when all else failed; fire to burn, scales to protect, size for strength and to avoid predation by encouraging them to strike at weaker targets. Their hordes of gems and metal ores became a defence, for the metallic hides of Their predators reacted poorly with other metal, making noise and sometimes even reflecting light, allowing their detection even outside the light of the sun.

The mammals and birds had no such abilities. They could not be out-run, and the birds, not as magical as dragons, could not grow large enough to escape.
    Enhanced senses to detect Their coming was the only way, and even that alone was enough. Creatures had to learn to see the signs, few though they were, of Their coming... but They learned ways to improve and adapt. Intelligence became a survival trait in all animal species, as only with advanced senses, and pattern recognition and above all intuitive thinking allowed the vertebrates a measure of success, and They along with them.

But, for all Their might, eventually, the evolutionary faster, more adaptable exotherms won the race, and the first true protosentients evolved. These vertebrates were smart enough to use tactics, and slowly the tide turned over the millenia. Eventually, They were hunted to extinction by the vertebrates, in the prehistory of the world. No vertebrate alive - divine or otherwise - remembers them, though if presented with Their form, they would feel the cool prickle of ancestral memory, and perhaps the distant echo of the screams of untold vertebrates, crying out in their last breath...

Or, at least, that is what seems to be the case. But They waited millions of years to stalk the surface world as it's masters, and though Their intelligence came a step behind the vertebrates, it has come. Who knows, then, whether They are all truly slain, or whether one race or species of Them wait, with minds now as sharp as any mammal, in the blackest depths, Their thoughts fixed on revenge. And next time... Next time...

They will be ready.

And then the world will once again belong to Them, as it always did.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion
    Er, Hopereaver, are you okay in there?
    Yeah, Evasion.

Also, smart enough to hide when bombs are around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    One day, Aotrs will come into the thread. And rather than being villainous comic relief, he will be Not So Harmless and you will all know fear.

Then I'll ruin it with a mass resurrection and the dramatic tension will cry, but wow we're too chummy with the evil lich. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion
    My time will come, too...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-10 at 06:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi all, I'm new to this thread , but after reading everything i just have this to offer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakkD...eature=related

10. - Top - End - #1270

Quote Originally Posted by aspierob View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this thread , but after reading everything i just have this to offer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakkD...eature=related
    Quick advice, brace for the welcome wagons. Other than that.

Welcome good sir to the glorious realm of ponythread.

/]*[\

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post

/]*[\
    Oh, PM'ed you some numbers for that war thing. Mostly guesswork and such, but enjoy. Or not, kinda depends on what your doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

/]*[\
    Welcome...
    Spoiler
    Show

We have a lot of love to give around these parts..
    Spoiler
    Show

Please feel free to give in to the madness
    Spoiler
    Show

Allow me to give you the dime tour..
    Hi there! Hope to see you around some more in the future!
    ah, yes, well, I was going to save her for later but that was The Pink One. She is our resident Eldritch Horror, you'll see her pop into random posts from time to time.

I would introduce you to some of our OC's but there are a few people with so many of em i am not always sure they can keep them straight.

we have beings posting here from across the spectrum..
    from our (very) friendly avatar of a love goddess Lix Lorn

several multi/non dimensional beings

various cults and secret societies
    Join the Fluttermancers!
    (yes Mistress Fluttershy, i was about to give him the pamphlet)

right through to our very own high-tech Space Lich
    (word of advice: NEVER bring up Vampire Jubilee to him)

..oh, and do try not to stand in one place for very long as it will lead to a strike from various orbital based hug/friendship weaponry( i swear we cannot go 5 pages without a random bombardment)

Even though you may see a lot of back and forth "hostilities" between the Space Lich and others, we here in the thread will always have each others backs
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Occasionally we even manage to talk about the important plots from the show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

13. - Top - End - #1273

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Oh, PM'ed you some numbers for that war thing. Mostly guesswork and such, but enjoy. Or not, kinda depends on what your doing.
    If you all would like, I could provide some info on each faction and the setting of the war to help with more accurate numbers.

Oh, I must've gorgotten to mention that I have the technology levels and political structures for each faction already set.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

Greetings ponythread! My internet went down a few days ago and I've been lacking pony. But everything's fine now! And it looks like the lich has blown himself up again, so I'm guessing things didn't go insane while I was away! Huzzah! Exclamation mark!

15. - Top - End - #1275

If you all would like, I could provide some info on each faction and the setting of the war to help with more accurate numbers.

Oh, I must've forgotten to mention that I have the technology levels and political structures for each faction already set.
    ......PM me the stuff you have so far and I will do my best to alter my well thought-out plans to fit your needs.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-05-10 at 07:08 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Colossus in the Playground

The problem with that is that I really don't like 40K. Like, at ALL. Dawn of War was about the most fun I've had with it, but that was it. I don't like the GRIMDARK1 tone or the fluff, the sides, the chronic rule-of-cool that I don't find at all cool, the fact most of the fluff is hyperbole meant to encourage rampant factionalism, and I don't think 40K is anything like as hard and high-tech and uber as it claims it is. Apart from a very, very few elements I find reasonably well done (the Orks are quite cleverly done), I am really not impressed with 40K, and never have been, even when I started wargaming twenty years ago.

(So bear in mind, I knew about 40K since the FIRST Rogue Trader. And I have the magazine where Ghazgul Thaka made his first appearance as someone's generic Warband boss...)
    See, I agree with you. On all points. It's overhyped and dumb. It's grimdark and pointless and consumed by it's own memes from within.

But Rogue Trader justifies the entire setting.

It's one brilliant ray of light, a splash of colour, a dose of unironic creativity onto that grimdark universe. Rogue Traders walk the line between the enormous factions and ridiculous ideologies. Rogue Traders merrily trade shiploads of Chaos Demons for Ork Gargants. Rogue Traders cheerfully assist the Imperial Guard in fighting off a planetary invasion with orbital fire support, and then charge an additional payment if they want that orbital fire to be aimed reliably at the enemy. Rogue Traders sit at the absolute pinnacle of 40K wealth, so they can arm themselves with almost literally any piece of technology they imagine, including Eldar, Chaos or Archeotech weapons.

A Rogue Trader party is five of the most badass individuals in the galaxy. They share this galaxy with alien monsters, superhuman soldiers and demons from beyond the veil. All that nonsense, all that scale and grandeur and insanity and grimdark happening in the background. The slow fall of the Empire, the descent into darkness, blah blah blah - that's all happening somewhere else. The question for a Rogue Trader is how they can make money out of it.

Besides, we have Evil parties like that anyway. (Several in fact. Star Wars inverse-Rogue Squadron elite TIE pilots have cropped up more than once, and there's the aforemention Evil Dark Lord's Commandos to boot.)

Also, I directly discourage anything that lets the PCs (or more particular the players, one particular play in fact) to go around CE killing things for the lulz, as I find it mind-shatteringly unfun to DM. (There is a rule, which my players know. I will run Good parties. I will run Evil parties. I flat-out will not run criminal parties. No negotitation. If they want to roleplay the equivilent of Grand Theft Auto 1 or something, they can run it themselves. (And that's the L part of my LE...!))
    Not inherent in the RT system. I make allusions to RTs being insane on a marvellous scale and having no one who can meaningfully stop them because they frequently are, but that doesn't mean they all are. Some are swashbuckling, heroic space pirates with hearts of gold. Some are missionaries out to bring civilisation and Emperor worship to the heathen savages. Some are people who just have a few lines they would not cross. Some are people who rely on their reputation and it would not do for the crew to know they're bug-eyed psychopaths.

And we're not talking about stealing cars and petty change here. A point of Profit Factor in RT is the lowest common point of purchasing power. 21st Century Earth would generate, what, 20-30 points of profit factor if you owned the planet and everything on it? (That's probably way too high) RTs don't sweat the small stuff. They bust into the ancient alien temples, clear the natives off the Unobtanium veins, and move around armies. Frankly, there is no money to be had in killing things for the lulz, and if you're not making money you're a bad Rogue Trader.

Have you ever read the Munchkin's Guide to Power Gaming? (If not it's a jolly good giggle.) There's a except in that about basically Vampire, where everyone else is going all roleplayer-y and reacting to the situation of a potential vampire in a... what they consider a "realistic" fashion. Then the munchkin comes in with a shotgun, makes a called shot to the head, and blows the vampire away. That's me, that is. I'll happily play along with almost anything, until you say "no existance is useless, everything you do is a heroic but futile gesture and chaos/the darkness/the old ones/whathave you always wins in the end" I develop a sudden urge to go ballistic.

(And that's why you never want me to even try playing something like WoD!)
    The old world of darkness does actually quite conform to the 'bad guys win' attitude you bring up. The new one is much more classy. The nWoD is simply 21st century horror stories; the real world with monsters and wizards, and it is no more inherently doomed than reality is. In fact, it's a strikingly hopeful setting, strange as that may sound. Mages can make the world a better place. Changelings can find their way home. It is more than possible to win the game.

That said, a few years ago at a convention I ran a one shot I called Vampire: The Game About Vampires. The deal was that the key resource of the game was "Angst Points", and you accumulated them through over-dramatic flowery angsty monologues, antisocial play and brooding. It was the most hilarious game I've ever run.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-10 at 07:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

I don't do the massive picture thing, but welcome. Pull up a chair, share your favorite crazy fan theory, or explain to us all why [insert pony here] is best pony.

And here's a pretty good fan animation
    . Even if big Macintosh is a total cad.

Edit:
    See, I agree with you. On all points. It's overhyped and dumb. It's grimdark and pointless and consumed by it's own memes from within.

The original game, you know, the one with painted models and all that, does a fair job justifying the setting. It's quite fun, has been through several interesting rules iterations, and you need some reason to explain why giant demons, flamethrower tanks, elves dressed in cone hats, and power armored space marines are all charging at each other on the same battlefield.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-05-10 at 07:18 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

Igor, UNLEASH THE WELCOME BARRAGE!
    Spoiler
    Show

COMMENACE HUG BOMBARDMENT!
    Spoiler
    Show

AND, pause for dramatic effect, FIRE THE OFC!
    Spoiler
    Show

If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Colossus in the Playground

Edit:

The original game, you know, the one with painted models and all that, does a fair job justifying the setting. It's quite fun, has been through several interesting rules iterations, and you need some reason to explain why giant demons, flamethrower tanks, elves dressed in cone hats, and power armored space marines are all charging at each other on the same battlefield.
    I'll let you know what I think of it when I have A BAJILLIONTY DOLLARS to buy an army and HOBJILLIONTY HOURS to learn how to paint, model, and customise.

Otherwise, my thoughts on the setting were typed here and I cannot say it better.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wait, whats that funny feeling? Strange, I thought the food was good but not th- aaarrrggg what is that!

Well...hello there....we...sometimes do a little roleplay.....like with cults and stuff. I....hope you enjoy the thread....oh gosh I can feel my legs...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this; not one of those things needs a reason for being or explanation of any kind.

Why are giant demons, flamethrower tanks, elves dressed in cone hats, and power armored space marines all charging each other on the same battlefield? Why not?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Good thing I'm on a space station, or that could have really hurt.

Pokonic, on the other hand...

Hang on, I'll send someone with a potion of Harm or two...

Trouble is, I really dislike everything about the setting, from the technology to the factions.

Besides, when I DM sci-fi, I just set it in the real world, which is far more interesting, and has better starships...

(And also has proper Orcs and Elves but also Strayvians, Raarg'Ssth, Grey Watchers in the Mire, Saiyvali, humans, Shardan, Lujuqujul, Cybertanks, Jalyrkieons, Vivrathk...

And the occasional Aotrs cameo, obviously...)

I flatter myself (with justification), but anything Rogue Trader could do, I could do better with Rolemaster. Because I'm awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol
    That said, a few years ago at a convention I ran a one shot I called Vampire: The Game About Vampires. The deal was that the key resource of the game was "Angst Points", and you accumulated them through over-dramatic flowery angsty monologues, antisocial play and brooding. It was the most hilarious game I've ever run.
    Now, I'll admit, I could almost tolerate that...

I'm also going to assume that my rationale for the reason behind the intelligence of Equestrian creatures was so utterly brilliant that you are all stunned beyond your ability to elucidate a response. As you should be, because, not to make to fine a point, I'm awesome.

I shall thus leave to bask in the wake of my brilliance, because I have't quite recovered from the other night and I can see the penguins coming back...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-10 at 07:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

I'll let you know what I think of it when I have A BAJILLIONTY DOLLARS to buy an army and HOBJILLIONTY HOURS to learn how to paint, model, and customise.

Otherwise, my thoughts on the setting were typed here and I cannot say it better.
    I've read that post of yours before, it sums up the setting quite well. But I can add a little more about the actual game. I played it starting in high school, and I've got about 500 points of space marines and a couple thousand worth of eldar, collected over several years and many birthdays and holidays. I can't really paint and I'm not great with my hands, but I got the models together, at least to the point that they were usable and were the right colors.

And once you get there, the game is unparalleled. It's not like just playing a card game because the models are there, the terrain is there, you can actually pick up the little guy with the sword and hold him, but it has the tactics and depth of the best games of Magic:The Gathering or chess, including all sorts of highly broken armies that are themselves destroyed by a highly specific counter. And it's not like an RPG, even one with models and a grid because those are about cooperative tactics, the party against the world. Warhammer is about two full armies slamming into each other and bringing to bear the best in guns, tanks, and warm bodies, drawn from, as you put it, a universe riding a "flaming motorcycle towards the abyss while electric guitars scream in the background."

And though you think you may have rolled a lot of dice at one time, perhaps in Exalted when somebody blew their whole essence pool, you've never rolled dice like you do when you've crashed a maxed out squad of heavily armed orks, nobz, and a warboss into the flanks of an unsuspecting platoon of imperial guardsmen.

Edit:
    I'm also going to assume that my rationale for the reason behind the intelligence of Equestrian creatures was so utterly brilliant that you are all stunned beyond your ability to elucidate a response. As you should be, because, not to make to fine a point, I'm awesome.

I shall thus leave to bask in the wake of my brilliance, because I have't quite recovered from the other night and I can see the penguins coming back...
    This statement is, of course, completely true. Except that you meant "too" not "to" at the end of the first paragraph.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-05-10 at 07:43 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

I've read that post of yours before, it sums up the setting quite well. But I can add a little more about the actual game. I played it starting in high school, and I've got about 500 points of space marines and a couple thousand worth of eldar, collected over several years and many birthdays and holidays. I can't really paint and I'm not great with my hands, but I got the models together, at least to the point that they were usable and were the right colors.

And once you get there, the game is unparalleled. It's not like just playing a card game because the models are there, the terrain is there, you can actually pick up the little guy with the sword and hold him, but it has the tactics and depth of the best games of Magic:The Gathering or chess, including all sorts of highly broken armies that are themselves destroyed by a highly specific counter. And it's not like an RPG, even one with models and a grid because those are about cooperative tactics, the party against the world. Warhammer is about two full armies slamming into each other and bringing to bear the best in guns, tanks, and warm bodies, drawn from, as you put it, a universe riding a "flaming motorcycle towards the abyss while electric guitars scream in the background."

And though you think you may have rolled a lot of dice at one time, perhaps in Exalted when somebody blew their whole essence pool, you've never rolled dice like you do when you've crashed a maxed out squad of heavily armed orks, nobz, and a warboss into the flanks of an unsuspecting platoon of imperial guardsmen.
    Okay, I'll delay a second to say: Having been a wargamer for twenty years, there are simply scads of games that are leagues better than 40K. (Stargrunt II springs to mind; and Manouvre Group, which actually models real tactics...) Even while using Workshop models, I long since gravitated to non-workshop rules.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-10 at 07:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'll delay a second to say: Having been a wargamer for twenty years, there are simply scads of games that are leagues better than 40K. (Stargrunt II springs to mind; and Manouvre Group, which actually models real tactics...) Even while using Workshop models, I long since gravitated to non-workshop rules.
    I'm not really a wargamer, so I won't argue against your superior expertise. But Warhammer 40k was the big wargame for a long time and it does it's job well, in much the same way D&D gets people into RPGs.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Some are people who rely on their reputation and it would not do for the crew to know they're bug-eyed psychopaths.
    Aww, Captain. We always knew you were a whoopsie!

Hmm...
    (starts Planning)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

27. - Top - End - #1287

Spoiler
    Show

That is all.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-05-10 at 08:40 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome! Here, lets get some appropriate upbeat chaotic party music ready.

Party Time!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, here I am presenting an opportunity to really get creative with a mythic prehistoric terror or world shaking proportions, and all you lot can say is "nah, mate, s'dragons."

You are so boring!!
    Evolution is boring, there's no war, no conflict, no great cycle of survival of the fittest. That's an illusion.

Evolution is not a cave creature developing super infrared vision. Evolution is a cave fish going blind because eyes consume calories.

For story purposes I'll pass thank you very much.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-05-10 at 09:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1290

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I call your "chaotic party music" and raise you one Alex S remix

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Greetings ponythread! My internet went down a few days ago and I've been lacking pony. But everything's fine now! And it looks like the lich has blown himself up again, so I'm guessing things didn't go insane while I was away! Huzzah! Exclamation mark!
    Welcome home

And you can't go insane when you're already insane (or can you do that? Can you go insane twice?

You are so boring!!
    I really have nothing to contribute, just because I think that dragons are supposed to be big, scary, vicious, powerful creatures... that get beaten.

Somewhere along the road fantasy writers missed the point and decided "hey, no reason something this sweet should lose, let's make up a bunch of reasons justifying why they shouldn't because they're awesome!" and the power creep hasn't stopped since.

But I still think the most important function that the dragon (or its equivalent) in these kinds of stories serve is losing in the end.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-05-10 at 09:47 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube