New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default DDi Tools Relocation

Hey everyone. I just got blindsided by this, so I figure it's the right thing to do to let everyone on this forum know what's going on so they don't panic like I did. :P They just restructured the D&D website or something and the old archive link to the 4e tools like Compendium and Character Builder now redirects to the home page instead. I had to go looking for where they are now.

They can now instead be accessed here: http://ddi.wizards.com/
    Last edited by Daracaex; 2015-12-10 at 10:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

annoyed Re: DDi Tools Relocation

Sadly, that link is dead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DDi Tools Relocation

The posted link does work for me. In a different thread, this was suggested by someone for whom ddi.wizards.com failed:

http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/co.../database.aspx

EDIT: Okay, weird. I logged out, closed the browser (Firefox) and thus cleared the cache/history/cookies, then tried the ddi.wizards link again from a bookmark. That led nowhere. So I manually typed in http:// in front of it, and another slash after, and that worked fine. And then every time I use any version of the link or just type in ddi.wizards.com, it works.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2015-12-11 at 03:24 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I got to http://dnd.wizards.com/digital_tools, which gives you a choice of 4e Legacy or 5e Virtual Tabletop; but when I clicked on "Subscriber Sign In" for 4e, I got "Sorry, we could not find ddi.wizards.com" from my ISP.

Charbuilder was okay last night.

Dimers' link worked to get the Compendium, but I haven't worked out how to get to Charbuilder yet.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2015-12-11 at 11:22 PM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sol reports in a recruitment thread that http://vecna.wizards.com/ will do the trick for the CB (in debug mode).

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

For the last few months it seems like they are actively trying to get people to unsubscribe from this service. I just renewed my subscription not too long ago, and it was difficult for me to accomplish that. And now they're moving things around, and their own suggested links aren't even working. I'm beginning to hate the run around their giving us. They have what could be a great product, especially if they merge the 4e tools with 5e tools that I've heard are in development. But their endless runaround is nothing but frustrating.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

The first link works for me. I'm using Firefox.

dariathalon - I think that they will rest from now on until they either cancel of merge the tools with the 5e version. I believe that we're done with the changes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

The main links don't seem to be working for me. It doesn't seem to be propagating on a lot of DNS servers, but one IP Address I did find, that seems to be working for me, is 69.8.198.250

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

http://ddi.wizards.com/ works for me now.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Somewhat related, does anyone know how to find the errata pages? My saved links, including ones that went to the archives, now default to the main site and I can't find non-5e stuff there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/2295/ has a link to a single zip file claiming to include errata and FAQs. Haven't downloaded it myself, so I can't say for sure.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/2295/ has a link to a single zip file claiming to include errata and FAQs. Haven't downloaded it myself, so I can't say for sure.
    That is exactly what I was looking for, much obliged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    For the last few months it seems like they are actively trying to get people to unsubscribe from this service. I just renewed my subscription not too long ago, and it was difficult for me to accomplish that. And now they're moving things around, and their own suggested links aren't even working. I'm beginning to hate the run around their giving us. They have what could be a great product, especially if they merge the 4e tools with 5e tools that I've heard are in development. But their endless runaround is nothing but frustrating.
    Between the 4e tools issues and closing the forum I have a sneaky suspicion that their goal is to push people toward 5e. Sure you can still buy the books/pdfs but the tools made it so much easier and less hectic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SwordChuck View Post
    Between the 4e tools issues and closing the forum I have a sneaky suspicion that their goal is to push people toward 5e. Sure you can still buy the books/pdfs but the tools made it so much easier and less hectic.
    The forum closure had nothing to do with 4e; 5e had a massive presence on the forums. They "upgraded" the forums again, the upgrade had massive problems, and they decided it wasn't worth the money to keep around the forums. If anything, the forum closure suggests problems with 5e more than with 4e.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    The forum closure had nothing to do with 4e; 5e had a massive presence on the forums. They "upgraded" the forums again, the upgrade had massive problems, and they decided it wasn't worth the money to keep around the forums. If anything, the forum closure suggests problems with 5e more than with 4e.
    It isn't about problems with a game. Its about trying to make it harder for older editions to be freely accessible so that the new edition can bring in more people.

When people get fed up with dealing with the run around for older stuff they are more likely to go toward the easier stuff. Especially new player that join groups playing the older games, why play the older game when it's so hard to keep up?

They kept their AL website, Main Website, Twitter reaction, and Sage Advice (last one might be fan made... Not sure). If 5e was a problem they wouldn't keep those going. Why try to sell a new product and support an old product at the same time? That would be like manufacturing 2017 Gorillas and manufacturing and advertising for the 2010 Corolla.

The 5e forums were young and probabaly a sacrifice that to them was worth making.

When 3e changed to 4e they tried to strong arm that change. Now they are using more tact and planning.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SwordChuck View Post
    It isn't about problems with a game. Its about trying to make it harder for older editions to be freely accessible so that the new edition can bring in more people.

When people get fed up with dealing with the run around for older stuff they are more likely to go toward the easier stuff. Especially new player that join groups playing the older games, why play the older game when it's so hard to keep up?

They kept their AL website, Main Website, Twitter reaction, and Sage Advice (last one might be fan made... Not sure). If 5e was a problem they wouldn't keep those going. Why try to sell a new product and support an old product at the same time? That would be like manufacturing 2017 Gorillas and manufacturing and advertising for the 2010 Corolla.

The 5e forums were young and probabaly a sacrifice that to them was worth making.

When 3e changed to 4e they tried to strong arm that change. Now they are using more tact and planning.
    Doesn't not make is a crappy move though.....