New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

If it's a soft corner, the second enemy can move southwest twice and attack anyway. Otherwise, yes, he is out of luck. His printed charge is not valid, since his second step west doesn't take him closer to his target.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

He can charge the 3 squares to the left of where he finishes the charge all he wants. This involves hitting a wall in this case, and not a player. :)

If the player was 1 square south, neither of the attackers could charge the player.

If the north most attacker had a move action left, he could move into range and make a normal attack. Due to the player's position, there isn't enough room for someone to "get up to speed" and do a charge on them from any other angle.

And no,
    Even though both of them move directly to "the nearest square from which you can attack the enemy..." as the rules state.
    They are not moving to the nearest square from which you can attack the enemy. One of them is doing so. The other is moving to the 2nd nearest square. If the nearest square(s) are occupied, you cannot charge.

On top of this, errata has made it clear that the easiest way to determine if you can charge is to use the "each square of movement during a charge must be closer than the last to the target". The attacker starts 3 squares away. It then moves to 2 squares away, then again to 2 squares away, then finally to 1 square away. The second move did not reduce the distance, so it is not a legal charge.

The "you must move closer with each square of distance during a charge" rule is simple to understand, and covers basically every "can I charge" question. Do you understand how it rules out the northern attacker's charge?

3. - Top - End - #633
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Yes! thank you!!!

Currently playing:
    GMing D&D 5E - Homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #634
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Q573: When pushing a player, am I obligated to push in a straight line? That is, if I'm Y, and my target is X, can I push him into 1 OR 2, since the only requirement for pushing is that they have to enter squares that are further away, and because of how 4e treats diagonals, 1, and 2 are both equally distant from me? If I had a two square push, could I then move him into 6 or 7, regardless of my original choice?

X3

Y
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Q573: When pushing a player, am I obligated to push in a straight line? That is, if I'm Y, and my target is X, can I push him into 1 OR 2, since the only requirement for pushing is that they have to enter squares that are further away, and because of how 4e treats diagonals, 1, and 2 are both equally distant from me? If I had a two square push, could I then move him into 6 or 7, regardless of my original choice?

X3

Y
    Correct, assuming no other squares are available.

(More squares would give you more options; 1, 2, 6, 7 would always be correct push destinations)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-07-02 at 11:22 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

A573: The rules for pushing are similar to the rules for pulling and charging.

When you push a target, each square must be further away (by counting distance, ignoring obstacles) from you than the previous square the target was in. When you pull a target, each square must be closer (by counting distance, ignoring obstacles) to you than the previous square the target was in. When charging a target, each square you enter must be closer to your target than the previous square (by counting distance, ignoring obstacles) you where in.

You can zig-zag all you want, so long as each square follows the above rule.

So yes, you can push them diagonally away, then diagonally the other direction and away.

When pushing, if there are no obstacles, you always have a choice of multiple squares, with extra if you are pushing on the diagonal. When pulling or charging, you have a choice of as few as 1 square if pulling on the diagonal, and as many as 3 if on the "flat" of the squares.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Q 574

Duty's Virtue feat lets you "use the aid defense action as a minor action, but only if the chosen ally is bloodied." The paragon warlord feat Warlord's Formation says "When you use the aid another, aid attack, or aid defense action, you can target up to two allies with that action." Is there a RAW answer to whether a PC with both feats could benefit one bloodied ally and one healthy ally with a single minor action?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #638
    Barbarian in the Playground

A574

Seems like an area that RAW won't cover, due to the non-formal language of the feats (e.g. by RAW you could say that the "the choosen ally" part of the first feat blocks the second feat).

If this was my game or a LFR game, I would allow someone with both feats to 'aid defence' on 2 bloodied allies at once, but not 1 bloodied and 1 not-bloodied.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

9. - Top - End - #639
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q575

If I choose Freezing Arrow as an 8th level magic item in a treasure parcel, do I really place only one arrow?

I'm asking this because it seems a bit unfair. An 8th level arrow has a value of 125 gp, but an ordinary item of that level is 3400 gp.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by UndertakerSheep View Post
    Q575

If I choose Freezing Arrow as an 8th level magic item in a treasure parcel, do I really place only one arrow?

I'm asking this because it seems a bit unfair. An 8th level arrow has a value of 125 gp, but an ordinary item of that level is 3400 gp.
    A575: The arrow's value is more for the purposes of crafting than anything, much like how consumables are. You can place a quiver of 25 to roughly equal a standard level 8 item if you wish.
    Last edited by Ashdate; 2013-07-04 at 03:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A575

I would treat it like a healing potion (or really any other consumable). Put it in a treasure in place of gold. Pick one of the monetary parcels, divide by 125 and give them that many arrows, or give them a mix of a few arrows and some gold.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 576

I recently moved and haven't had time to unpack my D&D books, so I'm hoping for assistance finding a rule.

Where does it state that if you teleport someone into hazardous terrain or up into the air, they get a saving throw to avoid the effect?
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

13. - Top - End - #643

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Q 576

I recently moved and haven't had time to unpack my D&D books, so I'm hoping for assistance finding a rule.

Where does it state that if you teleport someone into hazardous terrain or up into the air, they get a saving throw to avoid the effect?
    A 576: Rules Compendium page 213. I'm trying to find the matching rule in one of the core books, but am currently coming up with nothing.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdate View Post
    A 576: Rules Compendium page 213. I'm trying to find the matching rule in one of the core books, but am currently coming up with nothing.
    Rules Compendium should be fine as RAW, but I believe the original is in the forced movement section of PHB(1).

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Previously I believe it was in a FAQ or the like. Rules Compendium is where I expected it to be, though. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #646

As far as I can tell, that's the only place you'll find it exactly. There's the rule for forced movement into dangerous terrain (DMG 44, PHB 284). I think the errata is just an extrapolation of that to include teleport.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q577

Can weapon attacks be made through a holy symbol the same way they can be made through a ki focus?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

A577: The only way weapon attacks can be made through a Ki focus is via a class feature that grants that ability. However, every(?) class feature that grants proficiency with Ki focuses also grants the ability to make weapon attacks using the properties of the Ki focus.

I am not aware of a class feature that lets you use Holy symbol enhancement bonuses and properties to make weapon attacks. So no, you cannot (at least in general) make weapon attacks using your Holy symbol enhancement bonus and properties (there may be some exception in some dragon magazine or something: for a stab at it, holy symbol that a hexblade can use as a rod being used to manifest their hexblade weapon).

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

It's not in the core books, but it is in the official errata to the PHB1. About a year and a half after that book came out, there was heavy debate on the forums on whether or not a teleport power could be used to throw enemies into the air (which would be the most obvious usage of such powers, but apparently the designers hadn't thought of that) and the rules team finally ended the debate by compromising that yes, it is legal, but by errata they get a saving throw now.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q578: The power "One with Shadow" (at will, standard action) states: Until the end of your next turn, you can make Stealth checks to become hidden when you have any cover or concealment. In addition, you can use cover from your allies to become hidden or to remain hidden.

Being relatively new to 4e I don't understand what the exact benefit of this power is. I thought everybody could make Stealth checks when they have cover or concealment.
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 2013-07-09 at 08:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

A578: stealthing usually requires total cover or concealment, whereas this power lets you do it with partial cover or concealmment. That said, it's still a bad power because this effect is not worth a standard action.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q579: A Stone Fist monk's flurry of blows power says:

Trigger: You hit with an attack during your turn

Target: One creature
    Level 11: One or two creatures
    Level 21: Each enemy adjacent to you

Effect: The target takes damage equal to 3 + your Strength modifier. If the target wasn’t targeted by the triggering attack, the damage increases by 2 (4 at 11th level and 6 at 21st level).

Does this mean that the monk can, if they wish, inflict damage on some other creature they can reach, even if that creature was not the one they initially hit, without having to make any additional attack roll?

23. - Top - End - #653

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Q579:Does this mean that the monk can, if they wish, inflict damage on some other creature they can reach, even if that creature was not the one they initially hit, without having to make any additional attack roll?
    A579: yes.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

A579: yes.
    A 579 Clarification

And up to and including level 20: you can also choose to damage an ally. (There are very rare corner-cases.) At 21+ it becomes enemies only, though.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q580: Does the cleric power Weapon of the Gods (PHB) works with the feature Radiant Vessel (DP)?
    Last edited by Lari; 2013-07-11 at 01:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

A 580

Basically, yes, but I'm not sure it works like you think it does.

You must use Weapon of the Gods on your own weapon. Then, every time you make a cleric weapon attack, you deal +1d6 extra radiant damage. This extra radiant damage adds the radiant keyword to your attacks.

Radiant Vessel says that you must hit an enemy with a radiant cleric attack power. Weapon of the Gods is not, in and of itself, a radiant power, nor is it one that attacks (so it can't hit). But - if you use it on your weapon and use cleric weapon attacks, it does add the radiant keyword. Note that this does not add the extra damage (and therefore it does not add the radiant keyword) to implement powers.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2013-07-11 at 04:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    A 580

Basically, yes, but I'm not sure it works like you think it does.

You must use Weapon of the Gods on your own weapon. Then, every time you make a cleric weapon attack, you deal +1d6 extra radiant damage. This extra radiant damage adds the radiant keyword to your attacks.

Radiant Vessel says that you must hit an enemy with a radiant cleric attack power. Weapon of the Gods is not, in and of itself, a radiant power, nor is it one that attacks (so it can't hit). But - if you use it on your weapon and use cleric weapon attacks, it does add the radiant keyword. Note that this does not add the extra damage (and therefore it does not add the radiant keyword) to implement powers.

Does that make sense?
    In my case i want to use it on my greatspear and then use sonnlinors hammer at will attack. Does it add radiant keyword to the power so i classify for the radiant vessel in the turn i hit enemy with sonnlinors hammer?

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lari View Post
    In my case i want to use it on my greatspear and then use sonnlinors hammer at will attack. Does it add radiant keyword to the power so i classify for the radiant vessel in the turn i hit enemy with sonnlinors hammer?
    1. Have you used Weapon of the Gods?
    2. Is Sonnlinors Hammer a cleric attack?
    3. Is Sonnilnors Hammer a weapon attack?

If the answer to all those questions is "yes", then Weapon of the Gods will add +1d6 radiant damage to the attack. Per the Rules Compendium, when you add a damage type to the damage, that type gets added to the keywords as well. So in the case of Weapon of the Gods, adding +1d6 radiant damage also adds the radiant keyword to the power. If the radiant keyword is now added to the power, and the power is a Cleric power, then it triggers Radiant Vessel.

In the case of Sonnilnors Hammer, the answer to the questions of if its a cleric attack and a weapon attack are both "yes", so if you use Weapon of the Gods, it will add the radiant keyword to the Sonnilnors Weapon power. In other words: yes, it triggers Radiant Vessel if you hit with it in the encounter that you used Weapon of the Gods.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Great, thanks

30. - Top - End - #660

Q 581

Does the Ranger At-Will Warning Shot trigger on forced movement? Is the triggering effect optional, or do you have to shoot an ally if they walk into it?