New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    Q 581

Does the Ranger At-Will Warning Shot trigger on forced movement? Is the triggering effect optional, or do you have to shoot an ally if they walk into it?
    A 581: Forced movement is still movement, although it does have special rules (particularly in regards to opportunity attacks and difficult terrain). If a creature is pushed/pulled/slid/teleported into that space as a result of forced movement, the Immediate Reaction power in Warning Shot would still trigger.

Any trigger effect is optional, so no you don't need to shoot at your allies if you don't want to.

As an aside, remember that only one immediate action is allowed per round, so you can only use the secondary attack part of Warning Shot once, and it would prevent you from using some of the Ranger's powerful immediate action powers, such as Disruptive Strike.

2. - Top - End - #662

Q 582

4e newbie here.

For encounter abilities, do you only get to use one of them per encounter? Or can you use as many as you've got but only once per each specific ability?

I'm a level 1 drow sorcerer and I have a racial encounter ability and I'm wondering if I can use it in the same encounter that I've used my class encounter ability.

The wizard section states:
    "Daily and Utility Spells: Your spellbook also holds your daily and utility spells. You begin knowing two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given
    day. Each time you gain a level that lets you select a daily spell or a utility spell, choose two different daily spells or utility spells of that level to add to your book. After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level."

The bolded part makes me believe that there's only a set amount you're allowed to use?

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    Q 582

4e newbie here.

For encounter abilities, do you only get to use one of them per encounter? Or can you use as many as you've got but only once per each specific ability?
    Each encounter power can be used once per encounter, regardless of how many you have.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #664

ClericGuy

Grey wolf answered this, but as an addendum...

Q 582

The wizard section states:
    "Daily and Utility Spells: Your spellbook also holds your daily and utility spells. You begin knowing two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given
    day. Each time you gain a level that lets you select a daily spell or a utility spell, choose two different daily spells or utility spells of that level to add to your book. After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level."

The bolded part makes me believe that there's only a set amount you're allowed to use?
    A582; keep reading; the sentence following the part you bolded reads, "You can't prepare the same spell twice."

Encounter powers work exactly like Daily powers, except that they refresh after a short rest, rather than an extended rest (see PHB, page 54).

Some items and powers do allow you to "re-use" a spent encounter power, but barring a power or item explicitly telling you so, you may only use a specific encounter power once until you've had a short rest.

5. - Top - End - #665

Understood, thanks! One more:

Q 583

On my sheet generated by the Character Builder, most of my abilities deal damage + my charisma modifier (+4), but at the top of the ability it says damage +7. Am I missing something?

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Understood, thanks! One more:

Q 583

On my sheet generated by the Character Builder, most of my abilities deal damage + my charisma modifier (+4), but at the top of the ability it says damage +7. Am I missing something?
    I cannot say for certain without the rest of the char sheet, but I'm going to guess that it is a dragon magic sorcerer with 16 strength:

Draconic Power: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Strength modifier.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #667

Oh right, Wild Magic! I get to add my DEX mod to damage rolls. That'd explain it. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #668

Q 584

Does the Delay Affliction ritual function on the same effects as the Remove Affliction ritual? Specifically, can Delay Affliction be used to delay all the effects of a single curse or disease, or does it only delay one effect?
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2013-07-11 at 11:29 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

9. - Top - End - #669

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    Q 584

Does the Delay Affliction ritual function on the same effects as the Remove Affliction ritual? Specifically, can Delay Affliction be used to delay all the effects of a single curse or disease, or does it only delay one effect?
    A 584: as per the text of "Delay Affliction":

Quote Originally Posted by Delay Affliction rituak
    Delay Affliction puts a single enduring effect, any of those affected by Remove Affliction, on hold for a period determined by the ritual caster’s check result.
    Everything involved in a single "stage" of a disease is considered a single effect. Typically, the effects of one stage of a disease are replaced by the effects of the next stage. If this is not true, the description of the specific disease will say otherwise (Rules Comp p 184). A quick glance through the Compendium indicate that of 67 diseases printed, only two ("Whispering Madness" from Dungeon 195 and "Twisted Domination" from Dungeon 157) break this rule.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q585: In case i have more powers that damages the enemy when it hits me does the dmg stack?

Example: Dragon sorcerer with daily Lightning breath (5lightnig dmg when enemy hits you) and burning spray at-will ( STR damage to first enemy that hits you).
    Result: 5+STR to first enemy that hits you or only 5(higher dmg)?

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

A 585

If you set things such that both powers would trigger, both powers would trigger. In the example case, a creature hit by Burning Spray and targeted by Lightning Breath would take 5 lightning damage and Str fire damage (this isn't the same thing as 5+Str lightning and fire damage).

12. - Top - End - #672

Q 586

What's the best method for a non-Dragonborn Wizard to change his spells to fire damage At-Will? Can multiclass/pick up implement feats as needed.
    Last edited by Gavran; 2013-07-14 at 08:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #673

ClericGuy

Q 586

What's the best method for a non-Dragonborn Wizard to change his spells to fire damage At-Will? Can multiclass/pick up implement feats as needed.
    A586: the question is likely too complicated for a simple Q&A, and is likely to better be answered its own thread. If none of the options below satisfy you, I suggest starting a new thread, and giving some more detail about what you're looking for.

That said, here are three options:

1) Be a human, get a spellscar (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide) and then take the Student of the Plague feat, and the Path of the Scarred feat (Dragon 385). You'll now deal 1 extra fire damage on all your encounter and daily attacks, which qualify them for the fire keyword. Your at-wills are out of luck tho, and the spellscar is campaign specific material.

2) At Paragon level, take the Arcane Admixture feat (Arcane Power). It can add the fire keyword to a single arcane power you possess (but only one power). You can take this feat multiple times to add fire to additional powers.

3) Get a Battle Standard of the Fiery Legion (Level 16 uncommon item, Adventurer's Vault). While planted, any attack a character within 10 squares makes can choose to deal fire damage instead of its normal types.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q587

Are there rules for reduced capabilities at low-hp, either in an official book or as a common house rule? Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but it seem odd that a character with only a few HP wold be as battle-capable as a character at full HP.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Q587

There are lots of things that happen when players are bloodied (half HP or less), but nothing specific when at "low HP" the way you seem to mean. In general, 4E does not cripple PCs. HP is not just the physical condition, but also mental, and all manner of other things. Someone else has written up a great description of HP in 4E, but it wasn't me, and I don't know where it is right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

A587

No, though there are many effects that only happen when the target or the person acting is bloodied (below half hit points). There are even a couple ways you can manage to stay conscious and take actions -- with significant constraints -- when you're at or below 0 hp.

It's a long-standing complaint with D&D and many other systems. But 4e is deliberately aiming for a heroic feel rather than gritty, and a simple system rather than thorough.

EDIT: ninja'ed! Or knowing Tegu, hybrid assassin|rogue with multiclass fighter'd!
    Last edited by Dimers; 2013-07-16 at 06:38 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #677
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Q587

There are lots of things that happen when players are bloodied (half HP or less), but nothing specific when at "low HP" the way you seem to mean. In general, 4E does not cripple PCs. HP is not just the physical condition, but also mental, and all manner of other things. Someone else has written up a great description of HP in 4E, but it wasn't me, and I don't know where it is right now.
    I understand about HP representing your mental state as well, and really like that aspect, and I also like the 'heroic feel' aspect that Dimers mentioned. However, that makes me think one should be even worse off at below around 10-15%. You would be all kinds of beat up, mentally fatigued, and emotionally injured since, you know, you are at risk of losing the fight, especially if several party members are low HP.... seems odd to me.

Anyway, thank you both for your quick replies. I will play it as written, just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow overlooking something.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

A587 continued...

Yep, Rules As Written have nothing about that sort of thing, though you may be interested in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Q588

"Untyped bonuses from the same named game element (such as a power or a feat) are not cumulative; only the highest applies, unless otherwise noted."

Is a ki focus dagger a different named game element from a ki focus sling?

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

A 588

Ambiguous, leaning towards "no." While they're certainly different items, it's unclear whether the game element is "magic ki focus" or whether it's "magic ki focus dagger." If the former is true, unnamed bonuses from two different ki foci of the same type won't stack, whereas if the latter is the way it's supposed to work they will. The former seems more likely.

It's somewhat moot, however, as you should note that A) you must be attuned to a ki focus to use it (PHB3 p.203), B) you can be attuned to only one ki focus at a time (PHB3 p.203 again), C) that most magic ki foci will grant enhancement bonuses, and D) that enhancement bonuses do not stack. As such, you couldn't use two ki foci at the same time anyway.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, meant ki weapon, not ki focus -- the enchantment that provides bonus damage on monk flurries. It's untyped, and there's no indication that you have to use the ki weapon as your implement to trigger the flurry in order to get the bonus. I was hoping to have one in each hand.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. That was how I read it too -- "unclear, but probably no".

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #682

Q589

Am I missing some Errata or are the feats Druid of Darkness (Primal Power) and Ferocious Tiger Form (PHB2) identical in every way? Was one errata'd somewhere to be different? Do they stack?

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

Q589

Am I missing some Errata or are the feats Druid of Darkness (Primal Power) and Ferocious Tiger Form (PHB2) identical in every way? Was one errata'd somewhere to be different? Do they stack?
    Well, one is a Drow feat (Druid of Darkness), the other is available for all druids (Ferocious Tiger Form), including Drow.

They are both untyped bonuses from a different source, so, yes, they stack.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

24. - Top - End - #684

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Well, one is a Drow feat (Druid of Darkness), the other is available for all druids (Ferocious Tiger Form), including Drow.

They are both untyped bonuses from a different source, so, yes, they stack.
    Right, terrible wording on my part. Meant to say the effect is identical rather than the entire feat. That said, awesome, I'm building up a Drow spider-druid and a near constant +4 to damage should be a lot of fun in Heroic.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, terrible wording on my part. Meant to say the effect is identical rather than the entire feat. That said, awesome, I'm building up a Drow spider-druid and a near constant +4 to damage should be a lot of fun in Heroic.
    Don't forget Claw Gloves (level 4? magic item)

26. - Top - End - #686

Q560 Can druids use non-bestial keyword Powers while shapeshifted (i.e. can I cast while transformed)?
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2013-07-23 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

27. - Top - End - #687

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Q560 Can druids use non-bestial keyword Powers while shapeshifted (i.e. can I cast while transformed)?
    A560: Assuming the shapeshifting comes from their Wild Shape ability, no, unless you're just sustaining abilities you used before you wildshaped. As per the PHB2 entry from wild shape (p84):

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Shape Restrictions:
    While you are in beast form, you can’t use attack, utility, or feat powers that lack the beast form keyword, although you can sustain such powers
    Like everyone, if you shapeshifted another way (such as via the theme "Pack Outcast" you could use "non-beast form" keyworded powers, but then you wouldn't be able to use powers with the "beast form" keyword. It's one or the other!
    Last edited by Ashdate; 2013-07-23 at 08:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdate View Post
    A560: Assuming the shapeshifting comes from their Wild Shape ability, no, unless you're just sustaining abilities you used before you wildshaped. As per the PHB2 entry from wild shape (p84):

Like everyone, if you shapeshifted another way (such as via the theme "Pack Outcast" you could use "non-beast form" keyworded powers, but then you wouldn't be able to use powers with the "beast form" keyword. It's one or the other!
    That PHB2 entry has been errata'ed. The actual text is now:

While you are in beast form, you can’t use weapon or implement attack powers that lack the beast form keyword, although you can sustain such powers.

The key difference? You can now use most racial powers and utilities while transformed. You simply can't use most encounter or daily attack powers, since they almost all have the weapon or implement keyword (unless they also have the Beast Form keyword, of course).

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

Q 590

Time for more trouble with the battlemind power "Lodestone Lure". Its updated text says
    ... you must pull the target 1 square. Until the end of your next turn, the target can move only to squares that are adjacent to you.
    PHB3 defines 'move' to include forced movement, meaning that after resolving the power in which I hit the baddie, he can't be pushed/slid/teleported/etc except adjacent to me. If I have an ability that lets me push an enemy on a hit -- an ability that comes from a feat, not from a power -- can I apply that ability BEFORE preventing all forced movement? Since the power itself pulls before the lockdown, it seems reasonable to me, but maybe there's some rule that says feat abilities are applied after adjudicating the attack, or something. *shrug* *hopeful grin*

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #690

ClericGuy

A 590: I think your interpretation is mostly correct, but recognize that the power is so badly worded that I think any sensible DM would change it to work as the power suggests it should be used (the creature must move such that it ends its turn adjacent) rather than as some sort of super-immobilization that prevents forced movement.

The pulling that occurs during the power is under the "hit" entry in your power, which I take to mean must resolve first, before any other effect riders (that you would have due to feats or whatnot) can happen. So you must pull the target 1 square adjacent to your battlemind if its not adjacent already. Then any other riders in the power that you've added would occur (such as pushing a target on a successful hit).

I would ask your DM how he or she would run this ability; I wouldn't run it as, even with the update.