New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

No. Yes.

Rules Compendium, page 283:
    Because an adventurer must have proficiency with an implement to use it, an adventurer cannot gain an implement's enhancement bonus or benefit from any of the implement's other characteristics (such as properties, powers, and critical hit effects) unless he or she has proficiency with the implement.
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2014-04-10 at 01:01 AM.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Ehm, I think you mean YES, you have to be proficient to use the power.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #1113

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Ehm, I think you mean YES, you have to be proficient to use the power.
    Ha, you're right. Some time between reading the question and answering it, I guess I flipped it around to "can I use the power if I'm not proficient."

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 439

Party warlord was hit by a green hag and knocked into negatives and teleported away.

Can he use Vengeance is Mine after the attack hits but before he is KO'd and moved out of reach?

I've come up with two different opinions on reading it and while I err in the player's favor I figure if someone else can resolve the ambiguity, that would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance is Mine
    Encounter Martial
    Immediate Reaction Personal
    Trigger: An enemy hits you
    Effect: You make a basic attack against the triggering enemy, and one ally within 5 squares of you can move his or her speed and make a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy as a free action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immediate Reaction Rules
    Reactions: An immediate reaction lets a creature act in response to a trigger. The triggering action or event occurs and is completely resolved before the reaction takes place.

An immediate reaction waits for its trigger to finish, not necessarily for the action that contains the trigger to finish.

Example: An elder dragon’s claw attack power is a standard action that allows two attack rolls against the same target. The dragon faces Fargrim the fighter, who has an immediate reaction (veteran gambit) that is triggered by being hit with a melee attack. If the dragon uses claw and hits Fargrim with the first attack roll, he can use veteran gambit in response to that hit. In that case, the immediate reaction waits for that hit to be resolved, but does not wait for the entire power to be resolved.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Q 439

Party warlord was hit by a green hag and knocked into negatives and teleported away.

Can he use Vengeance is Mine after the attack hits but before he is KO'd and moved out of reach?
    As per the rules you quoted, no, he cannot: the hit must be resolved before the immediate reaction starts ("the immediate reaction waits for that hit to be resolved") - by that point, the warlord is not in a condition to take actions.

Had he not been knocked out, he probably could use it before the hag teleports, though.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As per the rules you quoted, no, he cannot: the hit must be resolved before the immediate reaction starts ("the immediate reaction waits for that hit to be resolved") - by that point, the warlord is not in a condition to take actions.

Had he not been knocked out, he probably could use it before the hag teleports, though.

Grey Wolf
    Hag teleports him, actually, so he can't even do that

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 440

If you have no shield proficiency, do your allies get the +1 AC from Devout Protector Expertise if you carry a shield around?

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

A 440 Yes. As stated in the PHB under armor, you can still use a shield if you're not proficient; the only drawback is that you don't get the shield bonus to your AC, but you could still use e.g. the shield's daily power if it has any.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

So your allies gain more protection from your shield than you do yourself? That's hilarious.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    So your allies gain more protection from your shield than you do yourself? That's hilarious.
    "I keep telling you, you have to keep that thing close to your body, not over here in front of my face!"

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Q 441 The fighter power Steely Persuasion lets me add the proficiency + the enhancement bonus of my weapon to a single athletics or streetwise check.

If I'm using a ki focus, can I use the enhancement bonus of my ki focus instead of that of my nonmagical sword? Would I still get the sword's proficiency bonus?

Q 442

And could I wield the ki focus as an improvised weapon, gaining the enhancement bonus?
    How about a holy symbol? Or a wand? Or a rod? Or some magical armor?

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

A 441

The enhancement bonus of a ki focus only gets added to attack and damage. The only RAW exceptions would be those that say otherwise in their Properties.

Failure to completely answer 442

I've never seen RAW on using an enchanted nonweapon item as an improvised weapon. Almost any semi-rigid medium-to-large object could potentially be an improvised weapon, so that's not the problem. The two issues I can see are whether the DM agrees the enhancement bonus applies and whether the item can survive being used in that way.

Personally I'd rule that you can get some extra benefit from magical implements and bracers, maybe feet-slot items as well, but that even those items are likely to break when used to hit things for damage.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is, I'm not using it to hit someone, I'm merely threatening someone with it.

Guard: 'I won't tell anything! You hear me?'
    Me: 'I think you will... See this armor? Want to end up as the dragon whose hide this was?'
    Guard: 'I'll tell you.'

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    The thing is, I'm not using it to hit someone, I'm merely threatening someone with it.
    I'd rule that this doesn't work, because wielding a piece of armor doesn't give you an attack bonus. However, I agree with Dimers that there's no rule about this either way.

That said, the power does clearly specify wielding the weapon, so in the case of armor it doesn't work while you're wearing it; you'd have to actually hold it in your hand.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, I see, I thought 441 and 442 were more separate from each other. Most implements and armor just don't look terribly threatening. I'd let it pass for a rod pulsing with terrible black energy, sure, maybe a wand, but not likely for a glowy orb. Tome? Depends on the audience, and unless you're doing your Streetwise check at an academy then it ain't the right audience. Ki focus? Almost certainly not. They look like practice objects. Armor nope, shields nope. You gotta get yourself a wrist razor, son.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Okay then, I'm pretty sure of the following question, but I'm asking it anyway:

Q 443 Still about Steely Persuasion, what if I'm using it with an unarmed strike, which is boosted by Brawler Style? It has an enhancement bonus on attack rolls, but not on damage rolls.

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

A 443

RAW? No. The weapon doesn't have an enhancement bonus, you just gain an enhancement bonus when you use it. Sigh.

In actual play, I would find that combination perfectly reasonable, just like I think 3.X monks have proficiency with their unarmed attacks.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 444

This is more a question of interpretation.

One of my players succeeded in intimidating an enemy in combat. It is now said enemy's turn, and I have to decide how Intimidate influences it.

The creature in question is bloodied, and has one ally retreating, and is outnumbered. Countering this, the creature had a familial bond with another creature who is more bloodied and prone at the feat of the fighter, and the fact that the PCs are not in great shape either.

The rules for Intimidate say "Success: The adventurer forces a bloodied monster to surrender, gets a monster to reveal a secret, or cows a monster into taking some other action. This skill is not mind control, so a cowed monster is unlikely to take any action that would cause immediate harm to itself."

I'm trying to decide to what extent the creature should be able to do things to help its family member (charging the fighter, grabbing the family member and dragging it away, etc.) and to what extent it either flees. It's not going to surrender unless it's completely trapped and alone.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

A 444

This isn't really a RAW question, as you noted, so probably should've just gotten its own thread (and might still do so).

Anyway, the monster is unlikely to take any action that would cause immediate harm to itself. As such, it won't perform any action which will provoke OAs from any of its enemies. Nor should it attack any of the party; that just makes the Intimidate skill kind of useless. It probably can't get to its family, pick them up, and flee without opening itself to attack, so it likely shouldn't do that. That basically leaves attempting to heal itself or its allies if possible, fleeing outright, or just cowering for the round. Fleeing or cowering are probably the most likely.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

If it can communicate, maybe it'll shout: 'You win! I'll retreat, just don't hurt him!'

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks to me like the intent of the rule is for the player to specify what she's trying to do with Intimidate. "I intimidate the monster" should be answered with "into doing what?"

Of course, that does have to be adjudicated for special circumstances, like this one. So if the player said "I intimidate the monster into fleeing," you could say "The monster is scared and looks like it's ready to flee, but it hesitates, glancing down at its fallen comrade." If the player wants surrender, you might have to allow it, perhaps with some bargaining on the part of the monster.

In theory, a monster could even be intimidated into attacking, though that's a bit tricky.

Powers &8^]

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

Q 445

Is there a limit to the number of tattoo "items" a character can have?

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

A 445 It's an item slot, so you can only have one. AV2, page 83.

24. - Top - End - #1134

Q446

Running Attack: If you use a standard action that lets you move (such as a charge or the skirmish shot power), and you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began that move, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made as part of that standard action. - MPII
    If I use the Fading Strike power, which allows me to shift 2 squares after the attack, do I still get the +1?

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

A446

Tentative No, by virtue of you don't generally gain bonuses or penalties based on future events in the turn (in this case, Attack->Move). RAW is technically ambiguous though, and you could argue that you'd retroactively gain a bonus to the attack based on the wording and the lack of any rules to the contrary. In short, Ask Your DM, but don't be at all surprised if the answer is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    A446

Tentative No, by virtue of you don't generally gain bonuses or penalties based on future events in the turn (in this case, Attack->Move). RAW is technically ambiguous though, and you could argue that you'd retroactively gain a bonus to the attack based on the wording and the lack of any rules to the contrary. In short, Ask Your DM, but don't be at all surprised if the answer is no.
    I'm going to disagree. I feel the RAW here is pretty solid. It would be retroactive, since that can happen in 4e. Example: Shield. You have to be hit to use it, but it turns a hit into a miss. Of course, that's the nature of immediate interrupts, sure, but the logic is already in play within the system.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    I'm going to disagree. I feel the RAW here is pretty solid. It would be retroactive, since that can happen in 4e. Example: Shield. You have to be hit to use it, but it turns a hit into a miss. Of course, that's the nature of immediate interrupts, sure, but the logic is already in play within the system.
    To borrow a phrase from Yugioh, Immediate Interrupts act more like trap cards, a specific response to a stimulus that you choose to interrupt. In the game, you're not hit and then a spell cast afterwards negates that hit, you threw up a shield at the last possible instant in an attempt to deflect the blow. I don't think it's at all the same thing; that would be like a yugioh card that, rather than adding or subtracting life points, instead retroactively changed how much damage occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    To borrow a phrase from Yugioh, Immediate Interrupts act more like trap cards, a specific response to a stimulus that you choose to interrupt. In the game, you're not hit and then a spell cast afterwards negates that hit, you threw up a shield at the last possible instant in an attempt to deflect the blow. I don't think it's at all the same thing; that would be like a yugioh card that, rather than adding or subtracting life points, instead retroactively changed how much damage occurred.
    I get what you are saying, but here's the thing about feats in 4e: they can allow you to break the rules in some way.

That feat says, "Running Attack: If you use a standard action that lets you move (such as a charge or the skirmish shot power), and you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began that move, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made as part of that standard action. - MPII"

The power lets you shift 2 squares after the attack, but its all included in 1 standard action.

Run through the list:

1. Are you using a standard action that lets you move? Yes.
    2. Did you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began the move? Yes, we're assuming so, otherwise it's an obvious no.
    3. You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made as part of that standard action. Note how it doesn't include timing in here or say that the move must occur first; so long as the player fits #1 and #2, he gains +1 on all attack rolls as a part of the standard action.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001 View Post
    Q446

If I use the Fading Strike power, which allows me to shift 2 squares after the attack, do I still get the +1?
    I'm going to go with "no", because this ability doesn't specify that it works retroactively (and abilities don't make retroactive changes unless they explicitly say so, e.g. by being an interrupt).

At the time you're making the attack, it's not the case that "you end that movement at least 2 squares away". You may be intending to do so, sure, but you haven't done it. More to the point, there are a number of reactive abilities that your enemy could have that would prevent you from moving. This could lead to an infinite loop if you only hit because of the +1 bonus, and then in reaction the enemy immobilizes or prones you, which negates the +1 bonus so you didn't hit, which negates his reaction so he doesn't immob or prone, so you did hit him, so...

30. - Top - End - #1140

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001 View Post
    Q446
    Also going to answer Yes; by RAW, the standard action includes a shift 2, so you would get the bonus provided you finish by moving the two (one might ask that the player specify that he is shifting two to ensure that it triggers). The fact that the movement could be prevented shouldn't retcon the hit, since as has been pointed out interrupts and OAs remove their triggers quite often. It also fits how I would interpret it; it's a standard action attack that moves you at least 2 squares, so it is in a sense a "running attack." Given that the feat isn't brokenly strong, I see no harm in allowing it.