New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

Q475 When someone is flanked does he grant CA to all enemies or only to the ones that are flanking?
    #YOLO DnD style

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrUberGr View Post
    Q475 When someone is flanked does he grant CA to all enemies or only to the ones that are flanking?
    Unless feats are involved, CA is only granted to the ones flanking.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    Q474C

Amusing (genuinely), but I meant is the effect it offers (replace one Flurry of Blows damage instance with equivalent Ongoing Damage) mandatory after you've already taken the feat, or can I choose to not use it (say in the instance that the target is already under its effect, or is known to have many save bonuses)?
    No rule I can find in books or web. A DM saying it's mandatory is going against 4e design philosophy, the analogous situation of forced movement that you mentioned (which is clarified in the Rules Compendium), and even the concept behind the word "choose". Technically by RAW, yes, it's mandatory, but I don't think you'll find a DM ruling it that way in real life.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Pixie in the Playground

Q476 if I role a 20 against a monster and crit, but his defenses are higher than my total attack do I still hit the monster for critical damage or do I miss anyway?
    78% of all DM's start in a tavern. If you are part of the 22% then repost this as your signature.

I am the Mailman, and justice is my delivery. And like we all know, nothing stops the mail.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

A 476

PHB1 page 276 says you always hit on a natural 20. Page 278 says you only crit if your attack would connect anyway. So if you roll a 20 but you need 21+ to beat the targeted defense, the result is a normal hit, not a critical.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-07-11 at 01:19 PM.

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A477

Neither actually. A 20 hits. Always.

If the 20 with modifiers is enough to actually hit the monsters defense, then it is a critical hit and you get all the goodies associated with that.

If the 20 with modifiers would miss the monster's defense, then it is still a normal hit. You must roll your normal damage appropriately.

A 20 can never miss.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    A477

Neither actually. A 20 hits. Always.

If the 20 with modifiers is enough to actually hit the monsters defense, then it is a critical hit and you get all the goodies associated with that.

If the 20 with modifiers would miss the monster's defense, then it is still a normal hit. You must roll your normal damage appropriately.

A 20 can never miss.
    I think you need to go speak with a Halfling. :p

(Or anyone who can teleport away as an immediate interrupt.)
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    I think you need to go speak with a Halfling. :p

(Or anyone who can teleport away as an immediate interrupt.)
    Making the attack roll not count hardly constitutes a miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q477

I've heard mention of a Dungeon/Dragon article with rules for PCs playing as ghosts. I've tried to find it but haven't managed. Does anyone have a link?

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Bugbear in the Playground

A477:

It's the Unearthed Arcana article in Dragon #420. Note that Unearthed Arcana is house rules that are featured; they're not "official" rules and may potentially break the game, depending on what they are or what you do with them.

11. - Top - End - #1271

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    A477:

It's the Unearthed Arcana article in Dragon #420. Note that Unearthed Arcana is house rules that are featured; they're not "official" rules and may potentially break the game, depending on what they are or what you do with them.
    Q477 Awesome, found it now. Thanks. I think I like these rules and might try playing a ghost in a one-shot. Does anyone have experience of using these rules? (Possibly not a question for this thread, but it follows naturally.)

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Pixie in the Playground

Q478 Is there a two-handed weapon that has either Spear+Heavy Blade, Heavy Blade+Light Blade, Spear, or Light Blade that has the High Crit property? Preferably with high damage dice?
    If not could I possibly homebrew my own weapon?
    Last edited by eggabubu8e; 2014-07-18 at 01:57 PM.
    78% of all DM's start in a tavern. If you are part of the 22% then repost this as your signature.

I am the Mailman, and justice is my delivery. And like we all know, nothing stops the mail.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

A 478

The zadatl is a two-handed spear with high crit. It's also Polearm class and has the Reach quality. Die type is only d8, proficiency bonus is +2, and it requires a feat because it's Superior, so not a spectacular choice all around.

Aside from the zadatl -- no. There are three kinds of two-handed heavy blade with high crit but none of them is also a light blade or spear.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-07-18 at 02:46 PM.

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    A 478

The zadatl is a two-handed spear with high crit. It's also Polearm class and has the Reach quality. Die type is only d8, proficiency bonus is +2, and it requires a feat because it's Superior, so not a spectacular choice all around.

Aside from the zadatl -- no. There are three kinds of two-handed heavy blade with high crit but none of them is also a light blade or spear.
    1.) Where is the Zadatl located?
    2.) Should I just create my own two-handed Heavy Blade, Spear with high crit(and possibly reach)? Or would that be unfair.

Q479 if I had Power of Storm, A frost weapon, overwhelming strike, and both the eberron shard of lightening as well as the siberys shard of merciless cold would the damage boost apply from both shards or just one if I used Overwhelming Strike?
    Last edited by eggabubu8e; 2014-07-18 at 06:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1275

BardGuy

A479 - No, only the boost from the Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold could apply, for a few reasons. The most significant: You can only have one dragonshard affixed to a weapon at a time. Significant as to which shard applies: unless I'm missing the wording on Power of Storm, it only adds thunder damage, while the Eberron Shard of Lightning affects lightning damage. Also significant: Power of Storm and a Frost Weapon both change the damage type of your attack, so it wouldn't make the attack both Thunder (not lightning) and Frost, it would only be one on any given attack (You could switch the damage type on any attack by taking a free action to turn on or off the power of the Frost Weapon, but you would still only have one shard in your weapon, which you could only switch out during a short or extended rest).

Edited for clarity in directly responding to the question.
    Last edited by tbergman92; 2014-07-18 at 06:57 PM.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggabubu8e View Post
    1.) Where is the Zadatl located?
    2.) Should I just create my own two-handed Heavy Blade, Spear with high crit(and possibly reach)? Or would that be unfair.

Q479 if I had Power of Storm, A frost weapon, overwhelming strike, and both the eberron shard of lightening as well as the siberys shard of merciless cold would the damage boost apply from both shards or just one if I used Overwhelming Strike?
    1) Dragon 391.
    2) It might be a little bit unfair. I certainly wouldn't give it both high crit and reach. Out of curiosity, why do you want all of these combinations?

A479

First, I presume you're referring to Power of the Storm, since as far as I know there's no game element that's "Power of Storm."

Beyond that:

1) Only one Shard per weapon.
    2) Power of the Storm and Frost Weapon both overwrite all damage to their type, so in turn, the power is either Cold or Thunder, but never both. This is true of most of the damage type weapons; it's a part of why high-op folks are fans of Genasi (who have the ability to get fire and lightning added to powers) and Frozen Whetstones (to add cold damage). Also why Malec-Keth Janissary occasionally gets suggested as a Paragon Path for random characters (+1d4 element type damage).

17. - Top - End - #1277

ElfRangerGuy

Q480

Are there any catfolk races (think Khajiit) other than razorclaw shifter?
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    Q480

Are there any catfolk races (think Khajiit) other than razorclaw shifter?
    A 480

No. You can fake it to a degree by refluffing hengeyokai or thri-kreen race or by taking one of the lycanthropic themes.

Personally I feel that thri-kreen is the best match for catfolk race: fitting stats and skills, good speed, excellent jumping, claw attacks, a chittering language (listen to kitties talk to birds/squirrels!), short naps, mostly appropriate feats. If you ignore the multiple-arms feats, even the basic ability fits -- you're so quick and graceful you can swap stuff out faster than other races.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-07-20 at 01:37 AM.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

Q481
    Sorcerer daily power "Moon and the Stars" says it's Ranged 10, one or two targets. Doesn't say anything about burst size. I roll two separate attacks, two separate damage rolls, at any two targets within 10 of me?

Q482
    Sorcerer daily Howling Hurricane says "you can slide any creature that starts its turn within the zone by 2 squares"--I assume that takes place immediately upon that creature starting its turn, before it takes any actions?
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-07-28 at 12:42 PM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ettin in the Playground

A481 A482: Yes

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

A481 Correct. It's a ranged attack ,not a burst.

A482 Correct, but if the creature has any other effects that happen "at the start of its turn" (e.g. ongoing damage) then it gets to pick the order in which they happen. All of them take place before his standard/move/minor action.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

Q483 Take the following situation:

Bard hits enemy with Staggering Note while carrying a +3 Wand of Thunderous Anguish.

The person who will make the attack is a Sarifal Feywarden with vulnerability to Thunder.

Total damage done from the +3 Thunder from the wand: 13, or 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

A 483

The damage caused by the Wand of Thunderous Anguish's property is a separate damage packet from everything else. Vulnerabilities apply to each damage packet, so a creature with vulnerable 10 thunder who takes the 3 thunder damage packet from the Wand will take 13 damage. Since the bonus attack Staggering note grants happens after the attack hits, the Wand's property does apply to it.

Edit: Nevermind, 3. The damage packet from the Wand is not one of the Sarifal Feywarden's attacks, so the vulnerability from them does not apply. The more specific situation tripped me up.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2014-07-28 at 03:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1284

BardGuy

Q 484

For the Wizard, it states that "After each extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily attack powers and utility powers according to what you can use per day for your level (see the Wizard Powers Prepared per Day table). You can’t prepare the same power twice on the same day." Is there any restriction on which powers you prepare? I.e., if I have a level 8 wizard that has 2 level 2 utilities, and 2 level 6 utilities in my spellbook, I can prepare 2 utility spells. Can I prepare both level 6 spells, or do I have to prepare one from each level?

Apologies if the question doesn't make sense. I'm having a hard time phrasing it well.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

A 484

You prepare two spells of each level. You can't prepare extra spells of higher levels than normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1286

BardGuy

Q484b - Follow-up

Not in an attempt to dispute the answer, because it's actually what I originally thought, but where is it specified? In the compendium entry, it states "See the Wizards Powers Prepared per Day table." Which simply lists that for levels 6-8, you prepare 2 daily and 2 utility powers. I'm just wondering where it says that you have to select a level 2 and a level 6.

EDIT: To clarify--just looking for the rules text, not trying to argue.
    Last edited by tbergman92; 2014-07-29 at 02:50 PM.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

A 484b

We're sorry, the rules text you're looking for doesn't exist. I've never seen an adequate response to this concept in RAW. However, the PHB1 FAQ does address the topic unequivocally:
    Can a 5th level wizard memorize two 5th level daily spells instead of a 1st and a 5th level daily spell?
    At the end of each long rest, a wizard prepares one 1st-level Daily spell chosen from the list of 1st level daily spells in her spellbook. If she were at least 2nd level, she would also prepare one 2nd-level utility spell chosen from the list of 2nd-level utility spells in her spellbook. At 5th level she would also prepare one 5th-level daily spell from her list of 5th-level daily spells in her spellbook. She would repeat this process for every level that she has access to wizard daily or utility spells. She could not, as a 5th-level wizard, prepare a second 5th-level daily spell in place of a daily spell of a different level.

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Pixie in the Playground

Q485 I can't seem to find a description for the epic tier feat Vengeful Declaration anywhere, could someone explain. Exactly what does the feat entail?

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

A485: "You can use oath of enmity as a free action on your turn." - Dragon #382

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2014-08-03 at 03:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q486

What tier are the feats presented in Heroes of the Fallen Lands? Heroic?