New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A486

Huh... the text itself doesn't seem to say anywhere, and while I would hazard a guess that the errata corrects that, it seems to be no longer available on the wotc site.

Despite that, I can tell you that they are widely accepted to be Heroic (i.e. I've never seen someone suggest otherwise before), and that the fact that several of them scale for each tier, Heroic included, is probably the best proof available unless someone who saved the errata shows up.
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-08-04 at 06:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

A486 Yes. All paragon feats have the explicit line "prerequisite: 11th level", and the feats in HOFL don't have that. Note that market research by WOTC indicates that the overwhelming majority of campaigns take place only in heroic tier, hence they decided to cater almost exclusively to heroic tier in the Heroes Of books.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Q487: In which article/book does it say that rapiers are now military? in the PH1 it say that they're superior.
    I made my name too long, so just call me "AsteronI."

Spoiler: WW story
    Show
    About to die as wolf.
    Claims mason.
    Gets counter-claimed
    Baner dies by auto-lynch

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

A 487

The official errata for PHB1 says that the rapier "is no longer a superior military weapon," and Heroes of the Fallen Lands puts it in the military weapons category rather than the superior weapons category.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q488

When a power says "one or two creatures", but does not specify a number of attacks, how many enemies can you attack? One attack per creature, up to two creatures? Talking about "Death in the Dark" power. (MP2 p47)

P.S. I can't find the errata page in the wizards site. What's going on?
    #YOLO DnD style

6. - Top - End - #1296

A488: In that case, one attack per creature, up to two creatures.

Also, http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updatesarchive

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q488

Another question about Darkstrider PP. The utility power says "you are hidden to any enemies that aren't adjacent to you". How does this work? Do you roll a stealth check and can be noticed from afar? Or are you practically invisible until someone comes close?
    #YOLO DnD style

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ettin in the Playground

A488: Hidden is better than Invisible (while it lasts). Invisible is just total concealment, you have to use a Stealth check to upgrade to Hidden. You know what square merely Invisible foes are in. Hidden foes, you don't.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, so I don't have to roll? I can only be spotted by an adjacent enemy, as the power says?
    #YOLO DnD style

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrUberGr View Post
    Hmm, so I don't have to roll? I can only be spotted by an adjacent enemy, as the power says?
    Read the Rules of the Hidden Club - it will help you.

The best way to think of "Hidden" is as a status, just like being blind, or prone, or dazed. It is, arguably, the best possible status to have, which is why it's so damn hard to get it, and tends to have qualifiers. This power, it sounds like, gives you hidden status for everyone not adjacent to you, yes.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q489

I can't find RAW for the level of penalty to Perception checks if the target has concealment. I can only find -2/-5 for attacks. I feel I should know this or at least be able to find it, but there it is. Help?
    Spoiler: Games I am in
    Show
    The Search for the Sky (D&D 4E) • Dvergula IC OOC
    Zeison Sha avatar by linklele

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Echobeats View Post
    Q489

I can't find RAW for the level of penalty to Perception checks if the target has concealment. I can only find -2/-5 for attacks. I feel I should know this or at least be able to find it, but there it is. Help?
    There is none. You can see someone in concelament. If they are hidden, they have a hidden roll, but otherwise, you can see that they are there, it's just hard to aim at the bits that hurt.

I believe distance > 10 squares does have a -5 to the perception check, though.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Titan in the Playground

The penalty for a distance greater than 10 squares is -2.

As Grey_wolf said, concealment does not change the Perception-to-Stealth ratio. As far as creatures are concerned, the only benefit of obscurement or other sources of concealment is that they might allow Stealth rolls to become/remain Hidden. I'd like to add that concealment would justify the DM changing the DC for Perception checks to spot objects or to observe details about a creature. There is no RAW for making that sort of adjustment. Total concealment would even make some specific checks automatically fail -- in complete darkness, you can't see whether a warrior is wearing red or blue unless you have darkvision.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    There is none. You can see someone in concelament.
    Note that total concealment is different. You know where they are, but you cannot see someone totally concealed. This matters because you cannot take OAs on targets you cannot see. (you still know what square they are in unless they are Hidden -- sight is not your only sense)

Similarly, once hidden, you cannot see the target. (This does not grant total concealment, as that would allow hidden to justify hidden, but ...)
    Last edited by Yakk; 2014-08-12 at 12:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1305

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Note that total concealment is different. You know where they are, but you cannot see someone totally concealed. This matters because you cannot take OAs on targets you cannot see.

Similarly, once hidden, you cannot see the target. (This does not grant total concealment, as that would allow hidden to justify hidden, but ...)
    No OAs and additionally no Combat Advantage against them, which may be significant for various reasons.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

Q490
    Lightning Strike says "Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier (+6) lightning damage. An enemy of your choice other than the target and within 10 squares of the target takes lightning damage equal to your Dexterity modifier (+5)." The Character Builder puts my damage as 1d8+18 (+6 Charisma, +2 enhancement, +2 offhand enhancement, +2 item Staff of ruin, +1 Feat, +5 Storm Power sorcerer feature) but does not say whether the secondary target gets all the extras, or just a flat 5 damage.

It does say that I can apply Storm Power bonus either target (not both), but let's assume I always pile it on the main target. So is it 1d8+18 to main target and 5 against the auto hit, or is it 1d8+18 on one and 12 on the other?
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

17. - Top - End - #1307

A490

1d8+18 to the main target and 5 against the other. You need to read the actual text of those other things. Enhancement bonuses only apply to damage rolls, which there isn't with Lightning Strike. Dual Implement Spellcaster specifies damage rolls. Staff of Ruin specifies damage rolls. Implement Focus specifies damage rolls.

There are a few things in the game, like the Lyrandar Wind Rider paragon path or the Radiant One epic destiny that don't specify damage rolls, but most bonuses do. Note that if the secondary enemy is somehow vulnerable to lightning, they would, of course, suffer that as well, since it's specifically Lightning damage.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

Q something-something another I was trying to find the errata a week or so ago and failed horribly. Can anyone link me to the official errata, please?
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2014-09-20 at 12:13 AM.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Q something-something another I was trying to find the errata a week or so ago and failed horribly. Can anyone link me to the official errata, please?
    Not really a RAW question, but...

After a recent site overhaul and with the pending release of 5e, most of the old links are broken. Here's a working link; I'd highly recommend you save the link somewhere, as google will only turn up the old, incorrect link.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2014-09-20 at 03:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Pixie in the Playground

Q491

For a hammer shield heavy shield, when it says "...with an attack power using a hammer while wielding this shield", does it mean that the attack power has to use a hammer for the bonus to trigger? For instance, I'm playing a Battlemind wielding a hammer, and Lodestone Lure does not "hit" with a hammer. Do I still get a bonus when the attack hits? Same with Conductive Defense (Melee 1 instead of Melee Weapon).

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

A 491

Yes, absolutely. Both powers do in fact use the hammer, though they happen to ignore the hammer's normal amount of reach. Any properties and magical traits of your hammer activate for those powers, and so does the property of the hammer shield.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix_machine View Post
    Q491

For a hammer shield heavy shield, when it says "...with an attack power using a hammer while wielding this shield", does it mean that the attack power has to use a hammer for the bonus to trigger? For instance, I'm playing a Battlemind wielding a hammer, and Lodestone Lure does not "hit" with a hammer. Do I still get a bonus when the attack hits? Same with Conductive Defense (Melee 1 instead of Melee Weapon).

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 492

Another Battlemind question...
    If I use Lodestone Lure on Target A, but there's a Target B on the RAW pull path between myself and them (assuming I'm using the augment 2), if I can't technically move them all 4 squares (because an enemy is between us and forced movement can't place enemies in a place they wouldn't move normally), can I use the attack? The "must" move effect of the attack has me a bit confused about what to do when something prevents me from completing the Pull action.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

A 492

As the power was originally written, pulling was not mandatory. Errata has changed it to a requirement. Not all DMs will use the altered version, which means you should check with yours regardless. That said ...

Powers do exist that say they don't work if you can't complete the appropriate movement. This not being one of them, the implication is that you must pull as much as you can but may still use the power if that amount is not 4 squares. So monster A would end up adjacent to monster B.

Spoiler: unnecessary, lengthy, non-RAW exploration of the subject
    Show
    The power has other problems, like if you move away after pulling the enemy then it can't move toward you, and the fact that you're supposed to be exactly 2 or 5 squares away, and major size differences reducing the effective pull range by 1 or more ... I'd suggest working with a DM to tidy up the language and clarify such issues. They might want to adjudicate case-by-case during play (sometimes monster A moves right through monster B, sometimes they both fall down, sometimes nothing happens?). Or they might just say "oh, hell, I don't want to deal with Lodestone Lure, pick something else".

Here's a definitely-not-RAW sample that I think preserves the intent and flavor of the power:

Hit: Constitution modifier damage. If the target is not adjacent to you or in your space, you must pull it to a square adjacent to you. If no legal path exists, pull the target until the path is blocked. If the target has a trait or power that would reduce (but not negate) the distance it is pulled, it may choose not to be moved into a square adjacent to you. Until the end of your next turn, while the target is within 2 squares of you, it is unable to move or be moved farther away from you by any means other than teleportation.

Augment 1
    Range: Melee 5
    Hit: As above, but the target's movement is restricted within 5 squares of you instead of 2 squares.

Augment 2
    Hit: 1[W] + Constitution modifier damage, and pull the target as above. Until the end of your next turn, while the target is within 5 squares of you, it is unable to move or be moved farther away from you, even via teleportation.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ettin in the Playground

Continued non-RAW discussion of Lodestone Lure:
    Spoiler
    Show

Steal from Come and Get It (revised). The pull is completely optional in size like all other powers. But the Hit effect only kicks in if the target ends up adjacent.

Hit: Pull the creature 1 square. If the creature ends the pull adjacent to you, it takes Constitution modifier damage and is Lured until the end of your next turn.
    Effect: You gain a Lodestone Aura 2 until the end of your next turn. Creatures Lured by you in your Lodestone Aura cannot move or be moved further away from you, except via teleportation.

Augment 1
    Hit: As above, but the pull is 4 squares.
    Effect: As above, but the Lodestone Aura is 5.

Augment 2
    Hit: As Augment 1, except 1[W]+Con damage
    Effect: As Augment 1, except creatures Lured by you may not teleport further away within the aura.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 493

If a creature moves from a square adjacent to a player into a player's square, does it provoke an OA from the player whose square it's moving into? What if there's a player adjacent to both squares?

Looks like this - A is the player whose square is being invaded, M is the starting location of the creature that's moving, and B is the bystander ally of A.

OOO
    BAO
    OMO

The specific creature in question is a Vampiric Mist, if that helps.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

A 493

Yes, both B and A make opportunity attacks (without any worry of hitting A accidentally, as the attack happens before M exits its own space).

It's not a typical situation because creatures can't generally enter a similarly-sized enemy's space, but there's no need to view it any differently than other provoking movement. M is not making a small careful adjustment, they're not bamfing away instantaneously, and they're not being yanked around unexpectedly by some other force. So it's easy enough for A and B to notice the opening and react to it in time.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-10-11 at 02:59 PM. Reason: I put an apostrophe in "creatures"? REALLY?! Jeez, I'm losing my touch.

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Troll in the Playground

Q 494

Are there any rules for boat to boat combat? I'm ready to make a thread if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

A 494

Nope. The only relevant RAW is when somebody falls in the water, where stuff like breathing and the aquatic keyword are important. Go ahead and make that thread, though. Lotta people around here been thinking how to do naval scenarios lately.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Q 493

If a creature moves from a square adjacent to a player into a player's square, does it provoke an OA from the player whose square it's moving into? What if there's a player adjacent to both squares?

Looks like this - A is the player whose square is being invaded, M is the starting location of the creature that's moving, and B is the bystander ally of A.

OOO
    BAO
    OMO

The specific creature in question is a Vampiric Mist, if that helps.
    If M is only moving 1 square, wouldn't that be a shift and thus not provoke?
    Spoiler: Games I am in
    Show
    The Search for the Sky (D&D 4E) • Dvergula IC OOC
    Zeison Sha avatar by linklele

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Echobeats View Post
    If M is only moving 1 square, wouldn't that be a shift and thus not provoke?
    While using a Move Action to Shift one square is something that all creatures and PC's have access to, not all movements of one square are Shifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text